Is Jim Sterling sexist? Is Blizzard racist?

More and more I come across these accusations that certain people or companies embrace certain "isms", and I wanted to skim the waters of shit that is the internet to see the most hateful turds that existed.

So, tell me: What is the most outrageous accusation you have ever heard anyone make against a person or company?

I wonder if I'm going to get myself ripped for this...

"Sport Games are all the same!". No, they are not and that was a stupid thing for you to say. You can argue all you want that they LOOK the same and that you don't enjoy them but to tell me that it's just a roster update every year is just either ignorance or stupidity.

"X game is objectively bad because of [insert subjective opinion]". No, that is also a stupid thing for you to say. You not liking the genre or you not liking the story is not an objective critique.

"Yahtzee is just a professional troll!"...actually, you might have me on that one. Well played fake internet person I'm arguing with, well played...

Not be that guy, but wouldn't this be more suited for off topic? I mean, since it seems more...general.
But, anyways: i'v seen people accuse Eidos of being devil worshiping Illuminati spies, because the storylines they featured in their games seemed ''to match the fabricated ''proof'' in my head of the Illuminati plans!''
It was on YouTube, so, I guess it's to be expected.

AsurasEyes:
So, tell me: What is the most outrageous accusation you have ever heard anyone make against a person or company?

It's right there in the title. It was from a thread on GameFAQs quite a long time ago (from 2005, to be precise) - it was so brilliant, I just had to save it

OK, OK, it was still amusing, though.

King Aragorn:

But, anyways: i'v seen people accuse Eidos of being devil worshiping Illuminati spies, because the storylines they featured in their games seemed ''to match the fabricated ''proof'' in my head of the Illuminati plans!''

Don't you blame it on me dude!

I remember browsing a while ago and I stumble upon GameFaqs post where some guy deducted that Chie from Persona 4 is male. His main proof was that Chie never had periods. You could take her to mission any day, and unlike Naoto or Yukiko, Chie moves a lot in fight, so, if she's having a period it should be painful for her, but since it's not she's a male.

IllumInaTIma:

King Aragorn:

Don't you blame it on me dude!

I remember browsing a while ago and I stumble upon GameFaqs post where some guy deducted that Chie from Persona 4 is male. His main proof was that Chie never had periods. You could take her to mission any day, and unlike Naoto or Yukiko, Chie moves a lot in fight, so, if she's having a period it should be painful for her, but since it's not she's a male.

You immediately can see that this person has a very profound knowledge of female biology and uses nothing but logic to deduce his facts.

It was somewhat amusing when Irrational Games was attacked from the right-wing and the left-wing at the same time for Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite. You must have gotten something right in your portrayal of ideologies, if both sides hate you.

tippy2k2:

"Yahtzee is just a professional troll!"...actually, you might have me on that one. Well played fake internet person I'm arguing with, well played...

OT: I've seen some pretty outrageous accusations in my time. I think the ones that get me the most are "[X Game] is just a clone of [Y Game]!" when the only similarities they share are 'in the same genre', and "Sonic games haven't been good since he went 3D!" (or its off-shoot "Sonic games were never good!").

Really you could pretty much just throw a dart at a random thread and likely find one of those two opinions somewhere within (obvious exaggeration is obvious). The best part is that they never acknowledge any counter-arguments and just go "NOPE, IT'S A CLONE!" or "NOPE, THEY SUCK!"

every single time "artistic integrity" is used as a defence from criticism

also the whole "they're two different games, you cant compare them". I made a thread about this a while back but essentially them being different is the reason why you CAN compare them!

spartandude:

also the whole "they're two different games, you cant compare them". I made a thread about this a while back but essentially them being different is the reason why you CAN compare them!

I hate that one. The idea you "can't" compare anything is ridiculous. If I wanted to I could compare camel spit to Alpha Centauri. How similar or different things are from each other has no bearing on whether I can or can't compare something. There's no such thing as "can't compare". People only say that because they're afraid of criticism.

OT: Complaints about reviews or whatnot of not being objective. News flash: reviews are the opinion of a person; i.e a subject. It can't be objective.

Scrustle:

spartandude:

I hate that one. The idea you "can't" compare anything is ridiculous. If I wanted to I could compare camel spit to Alpha Centauri. How similar or different things are from each other has no bearing on whether I can or can't compare something. There's no such thing as "can't compare". People only say that because they're afraid of criticism.

Yes! Totally true. I also made a thread about this eons ago. Comparison is a great tool, I don't see why we should refrain from using it.

I once recall hearing about people claming Ken Levine (the BioShock lead designer) was racist against white people and was promoting "Jewish Supremacy" (Levine is a Jewish name). I remember reading an article about it on IGN, it was one of the most bizarre accusations I have ever heard.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked