*UPDATED yet again! April 1st!* Prowrestler To Defend World Championship Title In Game Of Madden!

"I will be defending my title against @Sugarmask in Madden 13 and, yes, it will be streamed live."-@MichaelManna

In what will go down as one of the strangest stories I can ever remember writing about, Extreme Rising emailed current champion Stevie Richards today, demanding he return their title belt (which he has kept since winning and has taken overseas and to independent shows to defend as a way to raise the profile of the promotion) or else...because of Richards said he would defend the belt via a videogame.

Yes, really.

So, let's start at the beginning.

Over the course of the weekend, Richards and former ECW star Danny Doring, who are close friends, were writing each other back and forth via Twitter and Facebook.

Richards, a videogame and technology aficionado, posted a photo of the Rising belt and his copy of the latest Madden videogame on his Twitter account, jokingly offering to defend his belt via the game online since he lost his bookings over Wrestlemania weekend.

Doring then posted a photo of the old ECW World Tag Team belt (which has been in his possession since the company closed in 2001) on his Twitter account and responded that he would put up that belt as well, joking it would be "defunct promotion vs. defunct promotion."

Shortly after, Richards received an email from the promotion, upset over the two friends "blowing off steam online", as Richards termed it, demanding the return of the belt by the end of this week, noting they were "disappointed" over the description of the promotion as defunct.

Richards noted that what really upset him the most was that the promotion "doubted his ability as a Madden player." He noted that Rising was upset over something that "20 people saw on Twitter" and said he's tried to help the company by carrying their belt and was amazed they saw the comments as anything more than two people goofing off online.

He also noted that it was silly no one just called him, especially since he hasn't had any communication with anyone at Rising beyond a text announcing the cancellation of the Wrestlemania weekend shows.

One Extreme Rising official noted they were upset over the promotion being described as "defunct", which is something Doring, not Richards, wrote.

Despite the threat, Doring and Richards intend to play the game after all and Richards is looking for a way for the game to be streamed online for whoever cares to watch it. The two intend to build up their "new rivalry" online. Stay tuned to their Twitter accounts (linked above) for more.

PWInsider.com left word for Extreme Rising's Steve O'Neil and should there be any official statement, we will post it, although in my opinion, the entire thing is really silly...unless you really love your Madden.

CREDIT: PWInsider.com

So basically, Wrestlemania is coming up and around that time a lot of small promotions book their shows around it to get a little rub. Extreme Rising, a poorly done "reimagining" of Extreme Championship Wrestling had 3 shows, all now cancelled do to poor ticket sales.

What's hilarious about this, is that what was once just a joke is probably going to come to be a reality because of the way the promotion over-reacted and made a mountain out of a mole hill.

UPDATED: OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

After days of intense speculation and heated negotiations we can confirm that later this week Stevie Richards will defend the Extreme Rising Championship against challenger Sugarmask, under Madden '13 rules - if you're unaware of the historic stipulation their going to play Madden '13 with the title on the line, hence Madden '13 rules.

With Extreme Rising events canceled this weekend, Stevie Richards was unwilling to let the couple hundred fans down and has instead created a super-event which has caught the imaginations of thousands, with legendary football and wrestling personalities alike choosing sides ahead of the big game which will be streamed live via the power of the Internet.

Christopher Daniels wanted to appear on the live broadcast but was unable due his contract with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling, but knowing how special this event will be he has agreed to do a dark match in-order to witness the event live - we are unaware if this dark match will be a wrestling match or a game of Madden '13, but details will be released soon.

Richards will control the Philadelphia Eagles for the big game, with quarterback Michael Vick expected to start, while Sugarmask will manage the Dallas Cowboys, hoping that Tony Romo can catapult him to victory and the Extreme Rising Championship.

What is unclear however is whether Sugarmask will be defending the ECW World Tag Team Championship he was pictured with over the weekend. Some believe Sugarmask to be Danny Doring, but we have received no indication that this is true, so as far as we are concerned Sugarmask's veins are full of chocolate and his sweat tastes of mint.

Both competitors will be present for the big pre-match press conference on VOCNation.com this coming Wednesday, where more details on the upcoming match will be revealed.

now in comic form:

...I'm really surprise no one cares about this.

Really? Really?

I didn't want to leave you hanging because I found the article interesting but I have no idea what to comment. :P

SaneAmongInsane:
...I'm really surprise no one cares about this.

Really? Really?

It's not because I don't care about wrestling. It's just that since the cover curse has been broken, I couldn't give less of a shit about Madden.

I cared when i first read it; I just couldn't figure out what the hell actually happened and so I didn't want to say anything for fear of revealing to the Internet that I DON'T know everything...

OT: Finally! My one and only opportunity to become the Heavy-Weight Champion of the World! I could never do 1/10 the physical work needed to be a wrestler but I am pretty good at Madden 13...

Now I just need to figure out what my outrageous wrestling personality is going to be...

Also: Heel or Hero? Heel's were always my favorite growing up (Triple H!!!) and I bet being the bad guy is a lot more fun.

Robeltu:
I didn't want to leave you hanging because I found the article interesting but I have no idea what to comment. :P

I mean I thought I'd even at least get the cursory "LOLz Wrestling is gay n fake!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!"

SaneAmongInsane:

Robeltu:

I mean I thought I'd even at least get the cursory "LOLz Wrestling is gay n fake!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!"

LOLz Wrestling is gay n fake!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!
I jest, of course.
This is interesting. Not much more to say I guess :/

Extreme Rising labeling their title a "world" championship is hilarious.

I loved ECW as much as the next guy, but these reunions / revivals / tributes have to stop. It's over.

Eh, with some of the match types out there, its probably not so ludicrous. A decent promoted could probably turn this into a storyline, lol.

Seth Carter:
Eh, with some of the match types out there, its probably not so ludicrous. A decent promoted could probably turn this into a storyline, lol.

Madden 13' Rules is the official match type according to the press release.

An update to the story! Yah!

Here's what I am imagining...(forgive me for my knowledge of wrestling is 90's WWF/WWE):

Jim Ross: It's been an epic showdown between Stevie "Eagles" Richards and his opponent Sugar"Cowboy"Mask. With :03 seconds left to go in this 10-16 ball game, Richards lines up on the one yard line. He calls an audible...and wait....what's this!?

Jerry Lawler: HA HA! China is distracting the ref! She can distract me anytime!

Jim Ross: She's arguing that the defensive line jumped and they should blow the play dead. Oh my God...Tripe H has ran into the grid-iron while China is distracting the ref! He hits Demarcus Ware with a chair while he's not looking! Damn him!!!! DAMN HIM!!!! Turn around Ref!

Jerry Lawler: HA HA! China distracted the ref just long enough so he didn't see that!

Jim Ross: Oh My God! Someone needs to stop this sham! The ball is snapped and Vick gets a wide open DeSean Jackson with Ware out of the picture! Damn that Triple H! Damn it!

Announcer: Winner and STILL the Extreme Rising Champiooooooooooooooooooooon...Steeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie! RI-CHAAAAAAARDS!

...It will be beautiful. I miss wrestling :(

You don't see these kind of matches in WWE or TNA! Only on Extreme Rising!

You know what would make this better? Christopher Daniels on commentary. I'd watch that.

My boyfriend who is a wrestling fanatic had a pretty good chuckle and then said being that it's Richards, he wasn't surprised.

Why the Escapist isn't covering this on it's main page, i have no idea.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked