Song Birds shrieks in Bioshock?

Not claiming to have discovered this, its doing the rounds and noone has posted it on the Escapist yet so here it is.

I didn't hear it but...I dunno.

I can definitely hear what your talking about, its rather interesting that you can hear that screeching, but I'm not sure whether that is song bird.

I will concede and say it is a possibility though.

One hell of a coincidence if it is one.

I'm playing through Bioshock (1) atm so I'll keep my ears open when I reach this part.

So, nerd that I am, I went and compared the two videos... this one and one that depicts songbird's death. It sounds remarkably like it... but... songbird did not scream over and over for a full 17 seconds as was heard in the video above. Its screaming was also interrupted several times when we saw it die but the video above had the screaming rise to a crescendo and then die down again... everytime.

Sounds similar though, but no, not the same scream.

Well, if you watch the debut gameplay trailer Songbird sounds like a Big Daddy, which would indicate that Songbird's cry wasn't planned anywhere near as early as Bioshock 1, especially as they didn't even have it finalised when the game had been revealed to the public.

9:34. Noise in the OP video doesn't even sound that similar to his death cries, anyway.

It's probably whale sounds. You can hear those in various spots in BioShock.

I think it's just ambient screaming. This is Rapture after all, it's quite the common feature.

No, it's DEFINITELY the exact screech that Song bird makes. *However*, I've only ever heard it in that one IGN video, can't hear it in any others.

PS3's BSI came packaged with its own copy of Bioshock 1. I suspect there is no screech in the original package, but perhaps they added it in this version?

I'll definitely check this out when next I replay it.

Well, isn't that interesting.
I'm chalking it up to listener's choice.
It's Songbird if you want it to be or not if you don't.

It can't be songbird, for a few reasons.

SPOILERS:

The rapture Booker visits is years after Jack's visit because of the growing vegetation, sealed off welcome center bridge, and completely disabled vita chambers, meaning that Ryan is already dead.

I saw this but I thought it was an April Fools as I saw another video where the sound isn't there. So unless they patched it in lately it's a hoax.

Headsprouter:
Well, if you watch the debut gameplay trailer Songbird sounds like a Big Daddy, which would indicate that Songbird's cry wasn't planned anywhere near as early as Bioshock 1, especially as they didn't even have it finalised when the game had been revealed to the public.

9:34. Noise in the OP video doesn't even sound that similar to his death cries, anyway.

You know the footage isnt in the final game. Thats footage from 2010 they scraped a lot of things since a lot of people left the company during development and thats why its been 6 years since the first one

I hear a noise that sounds somewhat like the noise Songbird makes (But not when he dies....)...but that would mean Irrational would have had to put that sound in knowing that Bioshock would go on to be incredibly popular and successful (Which, as we all know, no developer/publisher knows until the game has been released), knowing they would be making Infinite in six years time, of which they spent most of that time doing.....nothing....

xefaros:

You know the footage isnt in the final game. Thats footage from 2010 they scraped a lot of things since a lot of people left the company during development and thats why its been 6 years since the first one

Thats the point. If they REALLY wanted the sounds to be a reference they would have had the songbird shreik similar right off the bat.

A cool coincidence but not intentional I think.

xefaros:

Headsprouter:

I know that. I've played the final game. Like someone has already said, evidently, the fact that this footage isn't even in the final game is exactly the point of my argument. i.e. the death cry of was not even finalised in 2010, therefore, it is incredibly unlikely, actually, downright ludicrous to say that it was planned that songbird would even exist back in 2007.

Headsprouter:

xefaros:

Headsprouter:

I know that. I've played the final game. Like someone has already said, evidently, the fact that this footage isn't even in the final game is exactly the point of my argument. i.e. the death cry of was not even finalised in 2010, therefore, it is incredibly unlikely, actually, downright ludicrous to say that it was planned that songbird would even exist back in 2007.

You say you played the game and then compare it to something non existent.I am not debating if that was some kind of easter egg i am debating whether u actually listen to the sound.Both games use the same sound asset pool so yea it is the same sound

xefaros:

Headsprouter:

xefaros:

You say you played the game and then compare it to something non existent.I am not debating if that was some kind of easter egg i am debating whether u actually listen to the sound.Both games use the same sound asset pool so yea it is the same sound

You just don't get what I'm saying, dude. you just don't get it. I'm not going to argue with you any further. Somebody else gets me, so I don't think it's any kind of miscommunication on my part.

xefaros:

Headsprouter:

xefaros:

This is what I was thinking, I do not believe that they planned the Song Bird way back during the development of Bioshock. Its possibly a recycled sound clip, the Song Bird sounded different back in 2010 but maybe they found the sound clip and thought it would be a great sample to use for the creature.

It might be deeper than that, as you say it could be an Easter egg. Maybe a dev remembered that odd shrieking sound in Bioshock and thought it would be a cool way to connect the two worlds though the rifts Elizabeth creates.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked