Ubisoft announce Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Ubisoft have released a trailer and a website today announcing the up and coming XBLA and (presumably) PC and PSN release, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. From the looks of the small teaser trailer and the website itself it's a sci-fi 80's themed game.

http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/index.php

April fools.
Cute though. If this is a real announcement it's a bad time to do it.

ToastiestZombie:
snip

I was just about to post about this :P

The games been floating around for the last few weeks actually. A lot of people are convinced its an april fools joke. A bit too elaborate for such a throwaway thing i think. - including it apparently being submitted to a classifcation board.

I think its some kind of expansion for farcry 3 - equivalent to red deads undead nightmare DLC.

An achievement list has popped up recently: http://exophase.com/game/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-xbox/achievements/

doing "Garrisons" strongly sounds like another version of "outposts" from the main game. As does "path of the predator" missions.

The website has an interesting mock-interview thing with a "director" of this 80's sci-fi film. He mentions that the filming took place on a tropical island and the prosthetics looks almost real to him. The "definition of insanity" line also pops up in there.

Also this:http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2013/04/far-cry-3-dlc-blood-dragon-info-leaked/

The main character is obviously Jason Brody doing a kind-of terminator pose.

Overall if this thing is real and turns out how i think it will be i'm in. I grew up on these films afterall :P I enjoyed the recent double-dragon game for the same reasons.

More of Brody's drugged-out adventures perhaps?

hazabaza1:
April fools.

If it is indeed fake it would be an "awwww man" kind of revalation instead of "haha thats funny".

daveman247:

hazabaza1:
April fools.

If it is indeed fake it would be an "awwww man" kind of revalation instead of "haha thats funny".

The same reaction to Deus Ex: Human Defiance. A 2D Retro co-op Deus Ex game sounds like it would be amazing.

Well played, Ubisoft.

At least it will be April 2nd soon. There's definitely potential for this holiday to outstay its welcome.

ToastiestZombie:

The same reaction to Deus Ex: Human Defiance. A 2D Retro co-op Deus Ex game sounds like it would be amazing.

The ideas they had looked cool, just not in 8 bit please :P

Funnily enough - all the features they had in that vid addressed all the main complaints people had with the last deus ex. Good hopes for the future at least.

daveman247:

ToastiestZombie:

The ideas they had looked cool, just not in 8 bit please :P

Funnily enough - all the features they had in that vid addressed all the main complaints people had with the last deus ex. Good hopes for the future at least.

Well they're fixing a lot of the problems in the Wii U port (non-lethal options for bosses, better AI), so hopefully the next true Deus Ex game will have those.

I kinda liked the 8-bit style. 16-bit would have been much better though.

I so hope blood dragon is real late 80's early 90s style scifi shooter based on the latest crytek engine yes please!

I hope its soundtrack is pure metal :)

I heard this announced after April fools, but even if it was I didn't get it. What is it? What's with the poorly designed website?

Blood Dragon is a pseudo futuristic sci fi game based in the far future of 2007!, Basically it's a new standalone expansion pack for Far Cry 3 that aims to make a modern game that is based on late 80's/early 90's sci fi tropes and its themed as if it was released in the 90's as well, when the game comes out they want you to think like you have been stuck in a time warp and 2007 is STILL THE FUTURE MAN!

It's perceived as real because there has been a large amount of info leaked about it before the website went up yesterday (art resources, a achievement list for steam and xbox 360 and a Brazilian classifications for the game pending release).

Also if you freeze frame the trailer at eh right moment you get this image!

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/april-fools-day/f/fb/Farcry.jpg

And I SO WANT IT TO BE REAL :)

And yes I know I suck I'm too lazy to google how to imbed a image in a forum :P

You know what would be fun for a change? If a company revealed something AWESOME on April 1st that sounds like a prank, but it's actually real.

Kael Arawn:

Quote this to figure out how.

That image looks amazing. How come April fools jokes actually sound better than real ideas?

Also at that video title: This isn't the Future! It's the lousy stinkin' Now!

Edit: I don't understand the Konami code thingy. What's with that gif of a guy staring at me?

Edit 2: It's not an April fools joke. Nice.

ponytails for everyone!!!!!

Thanks anthrax i shall use it in the future

Adam Jensen:
You know what would be fun for a change? If a company revealed something AWESOME on April 1st that sounds like a prank, but it's actually real.

This may be one of those times :)

Some more official screens leaked:

Its like they made the game for ME.

Kael Arawn:
I so hope blood dragon is real late 80's early 90s style scifi shooter based on the latest crytek engine yes please!

I hope its soundtrack is pure metal :)

Seems like it could be real, some sites are saying may 1st. See my other post for screens :)

The music seems to be more terminator/ tronish than metal.

THE YEAR IS 2007

IT IS THE FUTURE

Never in my life have I laughed so hard at two sentences.

Professor Lupin Madblood:
THE YEAR IS 2007

IT IS THE FUTURE

Why?

Blood Brain Barrier:

THE YEAR IS 2007

IT IS THE FUTURE

Why?

Are . . . are you serious? I'm not going to explain a joke that obvious.

Blood Brain Barrier:

THE YEAR IS 2007

IT IS THE FUTURE

Why?

I think the joke's on you, because the game looks to be based heavily on 80s futurism.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Why?

I think the joke's on you, because the game looks to be based heavily on 80s futurism.

so do you just wake up like this or what

I literally cannot understand what the fuck you're trying to say. The game appears to be based on taking the piss out of dumb action movies from the 80s, and the phrase "THE YEAR IS 2007, IT IS THE FUTURE" is funny because it isn't 2007, nor is 2007 the future.

Just . . . what? What are you even trying to say here?

There's a half hour gameplay footage out. Can't be arsed to watch it but apparently it looks awesome.

Also, if you mess around with some files you can play it on UPlay.

Video has been deleted. Sadfaice.

Edit: Guy below me, TELL US!

Playing it right now. Will buy it when it comes out.

Hmmm...corny retro-future theme, neon fetish...maybe worth a look....

Take a look at some of the OST tracks, see that Power Glove is among them....

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here