Did anyone else notice this (Easter Egg) in Bioshock Infinite?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I've just finished the game on hard and am about to start a 2nd run thru on 1999 difficulty. An enjoyable game, a worthy follow-up to the original and as good as everyone says (although I must admit the ending escaped me!). That said, one of my favourite moments was a simple little Easter Egg I spotted (which coincidentally fell precisely on Easter!).

Any other fans of Deus Ex (any or all of the three), either/both System Shocks or Bioshock may have spotted the door code 0451. It's cropped up in all of those games; I believe it began as a reference to Farhenheit 451, but has been used as a door code in all of these games. And I was glad to have seen it appear again in Bioshock Infinite.

My other favourites, though along slightly different lines, were in ME2. The "Miniture Giant Space Hamster" Shepard can add to his cabin references Boo from BG2. Further, Tali's in-combat shouts with her drone reference Minsc and Aerie from BG2 also.

Are there any other Easter Eggs in games you've found and that have made you smile? Are there any other long running or thematic ones that appear throughout a series of games, or all those made by a particular developer? Have any Easter Eggs ever caught you completely off-guard?

At least in this one they didn't completely shove it in your face.

Just gently shoved it in your face I suppose.

I remember rolling my eyes in Human Revolution when David Sarif is all, "The code to that door over there is 0451. Did you get that? It's 0451. Once again, in case any of you fans were worried that this isn't a real Dues Ex game, THE CODE IS ZERO-FOUR-FIVE-ONE!"

That's the combination to the first safe you can open in Dishonored as well.

KingsGambit:
My other favourites, though along slightly different lines, were in ME2. The "Miniture Giant Space Hamster" Shepard can add to his cabin references Boo from BG2. Further, Tali's in-combat shouts with her drone reference Minsc and Aerie from BG2 also.

There is a similar one in the Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC.

At a certain point near the end, if you keep selecting the Space Hamster Shepard will say "Hang tight little guy. Anyone gives you any trouble...go for the eyes."

My favourite easter egg in Bioshock Infinite is this one right at the start:

...oh wait, that's not an easter egg it's just an idiot being an idiot.

But seriously, probably the various Jak & Daxter references through the early Ratchet & Clank games.

Steppin Razor:

But seriously, probably the various Jak & Daxter references through the early Ratchet & Clank games.

Holly hell what a moron! (guy in the video not the poster).

How can ANYONE not know about the massacre at wounded knee its a pretty famous historical moment, shit i know of it and im not American so its not part of my cultures intimidate history (which the doufus in the video clearly sounds like he is).

The idiocrisy is well and truly in effect isnt it......

Zhukov:
At least in this one they didn't completely shove it in your face.

Just gently shoved it in your face I suppose.

I remember rolling my eyes in Human Revolution when David Sarif is all, "The code to that door over there is 0451. Did you get that? It's 0451. Once again, in case any of you fans were worried that this isn't a real Dues Ex game, THE CODE IS ZERO-FOUR-FIVE-ONE!"

I'm actually pretty sure that was incase you forgot the code. He doesn't say it over and over in quick succession, but rather if you take long to actually get to the elevator.

I think I saw Jack's wrench on a table somewhere. Maybe it was in the Zeppelin.

there was a chalkboard in the last level that had all these physics equations on it, and linking them all together was a series of lights that looked curiously like the Rapture Metro map

kingpocky:

I never noticed that, but it's the one Elizabeth uses to knock you out when you don't take her to Paris like she wanted.

There's one Duke and Dimwit "show" that Elizabeth says was delayed 3 times. They were making fun of themselves :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgn7zShigN4

Sajuuk_Khar:

kingpocky:

I never noticed that, but it's the one Elizabeth uses to knock you out when you don't take her to Paris like she wanted.

Yea I saw it twice, once on the zeppelin, its also right outside the first crow area on the ground next to a piece of clothing.

Also not so much an Easter Egg, but subtle joke in Infinite. When you are going through the rooms in Elizabeth's tower, (the ones with two way glass), the window in front of the dressing room has popcorn and soda underneath the camera.

I liked the '122' references.

HOW'S THAT FOR A SHOCKER.

The Lutece's coin-flip I always thought as a reference to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, a famous absurdist play. I make the comparison because the Lutece's talk very much like they're in an absurdist play, but also because the play starts with the main characters flipping a coin. It lands on heads almost 200 times, much like the Lutece's coin (apparently).

The idea of the coin flip shows to highlight how while the characters exist in a world of real possibility, something is clearly happening to make the events of the story occur in a certain way. In other words, they're not really in control of their own fate (the author is). You can make the comparison to Infinite's story, while it's POSSIBLE for a coin to land head's that many times, the likelihood is so small you'd assume something was either controlling fate, or you've been pulled into a universe where it's happening.

Steppin Razor:

Dear lord, I have not face palmed so hard in a long time. I really hope the guy was just trying to be funny because even if he failed miserably it at least means he's not an utter moron.

Steppin Razor:

....Christ.

I think I chipped a tooth with how hard that made me cringe.

KingsGambit:
So I've just finished the game on hard and am about to start a 2nd run thru on 1999 difficulty. An enjoyable game, a worthy follow-up to the original and as good as everyone says (although I must admit the ending escaped me!). That said, one of my favourite moments was a simple little Easter Egg I spotted (which coincidentally fell precisely on Easter!).

Any other fans of Deus Ex (any or all of the three), either/both System Shocks or Bioshock may have spotted the door code 0451. It's cropped up in all of those games; I believe it began as a reference to Farhenheit 451, but has been used as a door code in all of these games. And I was glad to have seen it appear again in Bioshock Infinite.

Are there any other Easter Eggs in games you've found and that have made you smile? Are there any other long running or thematic ones that appear throughout a series of games, or all those made by a particular developer? Have any Easter Eggs ever caught you completely off-guard?

Don't know if it counts, but seriously

"A city under the Sea?Ridiculous"

it made me laugh out loud. As the youngsters say it.

Nice avatar by the by.

kingpocky:

There's one that appears even earlier than that. I spotted and was like "It had to be somewhere..." but I saw the later one which Elizabeth hits you with and was like "Doesn't this make the last one kind of pointless?"

There it is.

And there's the one you're talking about. I like to screenshot these things.

And one last thing, not an Easter egg, but a funny little joke, one of the upgrades for Devil's Kiss is valued at "666". Hohoho!

Steppin Razor:

That's gotta be trolling. Nobody is that stupid, hell, I'm british, the only american history we get taught is about the slave trade and the massive fucking up of Vietnam, and even I know a little about wounded knee, enough for me not to think it's a bloody skyrim reference.

Anyway, my favourite easter eggs, if you can call them that, is the oldey-timey versions of contemporary songs dotted around. Particularly this, being a massive CCR fan;

Other songs I spotted include "tainted love" which I believe is playing in the bar in the ghetto of the city, and I also spotted the actual version of that song playing when Elizabeth attempted to open a tear to paris.

Doclector:

Steppin Razor:

That's gotta be trolling. Nobody is that stupid, hell, I'm british, the only american history we get taught is about the slave trade and the massive fucking up of Vietnam, and even I know a little about wounded knee, enough for me not to think it's a bloody skyrim reference.

Anyway, my favourite easter eggs, if you can call them that, is the oldey-timey versions of contemporary songs dotted around. Particularly this, being a massive CCR fan;

Other songs I spotted include "tainted love" which I believe is playing in the bar in the ghetto of the city, and I also spotted the actual version of that song playing when Elizabeth attempted to open a tear to paris.

There is also another - Girls just want to have fun by Cyndi Lauper. It's playing on the beach.

Steppin Razor:

I just did a little research, apparently that was an April Fool's joke.

I say apparently because I don't know for certain.

Back on-topic, I like the Easter Eggs you find in GTA, stuff like shooting the moon or Statue Of Liberty's Heart off the top of my head shows a world worth exploring.

For musical Easter Eggs don't forget...

God only knows - The Beach Boys
Everybody Wants to Rule The World - Tears for Fears

Also "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" is a folk song from the 30's I think...

Kael Arawn:

Steppin Razor:

How can ANYONE not know about the massacre at wounded knee its a pretty famous historical moment, shit i know of it and im not American so its not part of my cultures intimidate history (which the doufus in the video clearly sounds like he is).

I don't know much about it at all either.

It just depends on where your nation's educational system focuses on. I can't remember every single massacre on the planet, does that make me an idiot now?
Do you know of every single revolt in the Eastern Europe Soviet Block between '45 and '91? Of every uprising in Asia? I doubt it.
Don't be so quick to judge others.

Thedutchjelle:

Kael Arawn:

Steppin Razor:

I don't know much about it at all either.

It just depends on where your nation's educational system focuses on. I can't remember every single massacre on the planet, does that make me an idiot now?
Do you know of every single revolt in the Eastern Europe Soviet Block between '45 and '91? Of every uprising in Asia? I doubt it.
Don't be so quick to judge others.

That guy is presumably either from the US or Canada, likely the former. He should know about one of the last "battles" against the Indians. It also shows that he is apparently unaware of a world outside of video games, which is a shame because that might actually make games more interesting if people fucking paid attention in history class.

Adam Jensen:
There's one Duke and Dimwit "show" that Elizabeth says was delayed 3 times. They were making fun of themselves :D

Could be a double reference too. Can you think of another Duke who is well known for being delayed?

CrossLOPER:
snip

Thedutchjelle:
snippy

Kael Arawn:
sniptanamo

Guys, that video was a joke.

The YouTube channel is called Ken Levine for christ sake. It's filled with videos making fun of the game. The video is even called "Bioshock Infinite's audience", making fun of the fact he thinks all people who like Bioshock Infinite are idiots.

Eh. It's a little too obvious.
Just like putting the goddam Konami Code in the game. I know it's just an affectionate nod, but it still bothers me somehow. I guess it's just the fact of how overdone it is.

Edit: Oh, and there's the part when you literally get smacked in the face with Jack's wrench from Bioshock 1 from System Shock. That's a parody of references in and of itself.

Adam Jensen:

]

I got a good chuckle out of that easter egg, incidentally I did watch all the duke and dimwitt things.

They were not as amusing as I thought they'd be. ):

PedroSteckecilo:

And what about Tainted Love? :P

Fortunate Son?

Dunno if those count as easter eggs or not but I'm pretty sure at least Tainted Love can be missed entirely.

SkarKrow:

PedroSteckecilo:

And what about Tainted Love? :P

Fortunate Son?

Dunno if those count as easter eggs or not but I'm pretty sure at least Tainted Love can be missed entirely.

I completely missed Tainted Love, but Fortunate Son was previously referenced so I thought that was covered... hard to miss that one though.

This reminds me of the code to the nerds' hideout in Bully. 1138. I snickered.

Roads:
Eh. It's a little too obvious.
Just like putting the goddam Konami Code in the game. I know it's just an affectionate nod, but it still bothers me somehow. I guess it's just the fact of how overdone it is.

Edit: Oh, and there's the part when you literally get smacked in the face with Jack's wrench from Bioshock 1 from System Shock. That's a parody of references in and of itself.

I feel like the Konami code has transcended a simple easter egg to become a gaming tradition. It's almost gaming's Wilhelm Scream.

I also really appreciate the metaness of literally getting hit over the head with a reference. I hadn't looked at it like that before

This was way before the ending (in the wardens office)

Full:

CrossLOPER:
snip

Thedutchjelle:
snippy

Kael Arawn:
sniptanamo

The YouTube channel is called Ken Levine for christ sake. It's filled with videos making fun of the game. The video is even called "Bioshock Infinite's audience", making fun of the fact he thinks all people who like Bioshock Infinite are idiots.

The channel is linked to another channel that collects videos made by dumbasses. The original vid was made by a user called deathmule, who decided that April Fool's was a good defense after being told that he was mistaken.

CrossLOPER:

Full:

CrossLOPER:
snip

Thedutchjelle:
snippy

Kael Arawn:
sniptanamo

The channel is linked to another channel that collects videos made by dumbasses. The original vid was made by a user called deathmule, who decided that April Fool's was a good defense after being told that he was mistaken.

Ah, twas mistaken. Probably should have looked more. Makes more sense that way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked