SimCity’s first free DLC is a logo-plastered Nissan Leaf charging station

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Subtle. Maxis has a new SimCity building available for download starting today at no cost to your wallet, but with a slight hit to your integrity as a mayor. It's a Nissan Leaf charging station. How can I tell? It's probably because of the bright-red corporate nose-thumbing stretching across the station's turf. Since it's a plopable unit, the station provides additional effects for your population of a pretty lopsided nature.

Maxis explains: "The charging station will be a new destination in player's cities where their Sims will drive their Nissan Leaf cars in order to recharge them. Once they leave, the Sims will find themselves happier. Plopping down the station will add happiness to nearby buildings. It will not take power, water, or workers away from your city. Zoom in to the streets of cities, and players will start seeing a percentage of their Sims from all wealth classes driving the electric vehicles. The station produces no garbage or sewage, as well, making it pollution free."

In other words, you're handed a Mary Sue building doubling as a constant happiness generator with no significant downsides beyond the space it takes up. Oh, and the cheerily red logo made large enough so you can spot it at most zoom levels. I prefer to keep my city clean of overt marketing, but it's sure going to get tough when the Nike sidewalks speed up pedestrian traffic by 150 percent and the Firestone streets make cars exhaust Simoleons instead of pollution.

If you still want the charging station, you can get it either by punching up the in-game store or visiting Origin.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/02/simcity-dlc-nissan-leaf/

Doesn't matter how much gas they burn if they're all stuck in a conga line of traffic

Does it have extra strain on your electric grid just like the real thing does?

I suggest everyone goes for a national grid based solely on the dirtiest fossil fuels they can get and offset the downsides with a tonne of Nissan Leaf charging stations. Because that's how renewables work... isn't it?

And does it take about three hours to charge the car up, and what happens if all your Nissan Leafs go to your neighbours city and he has no charging stations?

Gah, I bet EA got a HUGE golden handshake from Nissan from this.

GAunderrated:
Subtle. Maxis has a new SimCity building available for download starting today at no cost to your wallet, but with a slight hit to your integrity as a mayor. It's a Nissan Leaf charging station. How can I tell? It's probably because of the bright-red corporate nose-thumbing stretching across the station's turf. Since it's a plopable unit, the station provides additional effects for your population of a pretty lopsided nature.

Maxis explains: "The charging station will be a new destination in player's cities where their Sims will drive their Nissan Leaf cars in order to recharge them. Once they leave, the Sims will find themselves happier. Plopping down the station will add happiness to nearby buildings. It will not take power, water, or workers away from your city. Zoom in to the streets of cities, and players will start seeing a percentage of their Sims from all wealth classes driving the electric vehicles. The station produces no garbage or sewage, as well, making it pollution free."

In other words, you're handed a Mary Sue building doubling as a constant happiness generator with no significant downsides beyond the space it takes up. Oh, and the cheerily red logo made large enough so you can spot it at most zoom levels. I prefer to keep my city clean of overt marketing, but it's sure going to get tough when the Nike sidewalks speed up pedestrian traffic by 150 percent and the Firestone streets make cars exhaust Simoleons instead of pollution.

If you still want the charging station, you can get it either by punching up the in-game store or visiting Origin.

Um... You just copy-pasted the article you linked without adding your own opinion. I'm pretty sure the mods don't like that.

OT: This is just rage-inducingly stupid. Now I haven't played SimCity, but I'm still baffled as to why anyone would actually download and use this thing. If you want it easier, go in sandbox mode and use cheat codes. This is corporate whoring at its finest and most blatant.

thatonedude11:

GAunderrated:

Um... You just copy-pasted the article you linked without adding your own opinion. I'm pretty sure the mods don't like that.

OT: This is just rage-inducingly stupid. Now I haven't played SimCity, but I'm still baffled as to why anyone would actually download and use this thing. If you want it easier, go in sandbox mode and use cheat codes. This is corporate whoring at its finest and most blatant.

My apologies but the article's sentiments were really my own so I thought adding my own opinion wasn't necessary. It is blatant corporate whoring at its finest, especially since you can see it at the furthest zoom. It just goes to show that EA is trying to stuff as much crap into SimCity as people will allow.

This isn't new behavior for EA. In fact, people should have been expecting it. EA clearly favor marketing over game improvement. They spend around $700 million annually to push their products, and that includes a heavy dose of cross-marketing crap like what we're seeing with SimCity and The Sims.

Of course, some gamers have no problem with this kind of product-whoring. Just don't start bitching when you're suddenly seeing paid SimCity DLC packs that include Carl Jr.s and Coca Cola manufacturing plants for your cities.

To be fair this is also not only done by EA. I'm pretty sure my Trackmania car is adorned by an OBI logo.
However seeing the difficult start of Simcity this seems like a pretty dumb move. It sends a message of "we wouldn't do anything for this game anymore if we weren't getting paid by our sponsors".
I don't even see that big of a problem with that. Having a Coca-cola headquarter in your city instead of some random fantasy corporation is fine as long as there is no giant coca cola poster obstructing the view on my beautiful city.

you get the odd freebie sponsored dlc like this for the sims3 for months if not years so i dont see what the issue is

I can see a lot more of this coming out of EA soon. Their stock price is in a tumble, and their CEO resigned, basically out of failure. Franchises and published titles are losing cash left and right while they've also had difficulty buying up studios. EA has got to be desperate for some cash flow and this is something that requires no effort or investment on their part. And I have to say, I dont really care. It's optional to download, and little more than a sponsored cheat code, crass as it is. I figure I just wont download it, and if they start charging for that sort of crap JazzHands suggest, I won't buy it.

thatonedude11:

Why would they mind? Have you ever read the articles on this website? It's pretty much how they function.

Also

1) You have not played simcity, but you're getting angry anyway

2) You missed the part where it's free? How is it "corporate whoring"?

3) It's completely optional

OT: SimCity's problems aren't going to be fixed by the equivalent of a park that doesn't use up water agents. Pathfinding and fire response/recycling are still present in my towns.

So, still no word on any fixings of the Pharasma-forsaken pathfinding?
It's not like many Sims are going to get to use it, because traffic is backed up 5 miles back...
It would've been nice if they'd just added in a simple "Charging Station" that wasn't plastered with ads.

ResonanceSD:
Why would they mind? Have you ever read the articles on this website? It's pretty much how they function.

Also

1) You have not played simcity, but you're getting angry anyway

2) You missed the part where it's free? How is it "corporate whoring"?

3) It's completely optional

OT: SimCity's problems aren't going to be fixed by the equivalent of a park that doesn't use up water agents. Pathfinding and fire response/recycling are still present in my towns.

1) I'm mad because even if I'm not affected by something, I still don't like to see it happening to other people.

2) It's corporate whoring because Nissan payed EA to make an item with literally no drawbacks that is one big fat advertisement.

3) Yes, it is completely optional. And I beg anyone that owns SimCity to not download this.

As for the original post, he put absolutely no effort in it whatsoever, and that just grinds my gears. At least the Escapist has the decency to paraphrase.

As much as I dislike EA, this is free DLC so even though it is kind of balance changing at least you aren't being charged for it. I get the feeling EA probably get paid for this depending on how many people download it, so just ignore it if you disagree.

You know, I expected it out of their free to play Sim City Social (which is pretty horrible, by the way. Not that I was expecting much else when I started playing it, but I'm a Sim City fan so I figured I could give it a chance), but in an actual, not-Facebook, pay-for-it game? That's ridiculous, especially since all of the other buildings use either completely made up generic names or parody names of companies. Way to completely sell out EA. Way to go. I'm glad I didn't pick this one up.

thatonedude11:

1) I'm mad because even if I'm not affected by something, I still don't like to see it happening to other people.

3) Yes, it is completely optional.

Do you see how the fact that it's optional completely negates your anger? No one is being forced to see these ads.

it's a marketing deal EA did to recoup losses from the "always online" shit they did aaaaand it won't work.

this is a good thing, because EA is suffering.

undeadsuitor:
Doesn't matter how much gas they burn if they're all stuck in a conga line of traffic

Hah!

EA whored itself out alooooong time ago trying to make a quick buck. This is simply another venal disease that has come up on the radar, or am I the only one who remembered the DLC codes on generic-aid soda campaign they ran a few years back?

I'm not surprised by this crap they've put out instead of things that would actually improve the game like a offline patch or significantly improved AI.

But then....

Deal with it.

Captcha: as you wish

ResonanceSD:
Do you see how the fact that it's optional completely negates your anger? No one is being forced to see these ads.

Because if we don't bite back and get pissed off whenever we see bullshit, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and whoever else are just going to keep pushing more and more shit. It's optional now, but I am just afraid that this sort of thing is just going to be more and more prevalent, until we are shooting dudes with Wal-Mart sponsored guns in a Toyota sponsored level. Probably won't come to that, but I just want to make sure that it doesn't, and if getting a little pissed off helps prevent that, then I will get a little pissed off.

This stinks a whole lot like advertising a product from another corporation by EA.

I remember The Sims 1, they gave us a Pepsi Soda machine. I actually thought it was pretty badass.

I fail to see the problem, you're getting essentially free DLC that Nissan paid for.

Err they do this all the time in the Sims, Toyota Prius sets, Ford Focus sets, if they're free then you either download and go "Free Stuff!" or you don't! It's when they release branded stuff packs that cost 15 (Diesel) which are nothing but adverts you pay for, that's when I get fed up, but then again I don't buy them!

Captcha: genghis khan..... I'm sure he'd agree!

This is amazing trolling potential.

You get the DLC, claim a city in a region, plop the building down, and immediately abandon the city.
Then, when another mayor tries to reclaim it, they get "this city was created with content you don't own."

I don't see what the big deal is, for years I've been able to drive a logo plastered Nissan Leaf (using Pirelli tyre data) around Mazda Laguna Seca in Forza Motorsports 4.

Automakers have had a symbiotic relationship with videogames for decades, so it's not like this is anything new or out of the ordinary, even if it is in a game that just features cars rather than being a game about cars.

Product placement in videogames isn't new at all, but at least electric car charging stations in a city building game are pretty harmless (or even positive as it promotes green energy), even if is plastered with Nissan logos.

It's not as bad as the product placement of the Barrett M82 and other firearms in many FPS games... I mean how many electric cars have been used by terrorists to kill soldiers and policemen, how many Nissans have been used to massacre cinemas and primary schools?

It's a bit late complain about product placement in videogames, but if you are going to, there are far worse products to focus your ire on than electric cars just because they're in an EA game.

I don't really care. It's free. Would it have made you happier if it came without the company logo? You don't have to use it and its not really in your face or out of place. If this was a fantasy game I could see having your immersion broken by the "Nissan Sword of dragonslaying +1 electrical damage" but I don't really mind seeing real brand names show up in my city. Let them re-name some of the commercial zone buildings to McDonalds or IKEA for all I care. If EA sees this as a cash cow then maybe they'll stick around and fix most of the issues with the game and hopefully that reveals the awesome game that is hiding somewhere inside of this more mediocre game.

So... artists have to work at something while the programmers and scripters and QA are busy with the big 2.0 patch.

Bloody... Nissan, what are you doing? Paying EA money to be advertised in Sim City is as smart a move as Samsung paying to be advertised in a movie that is against advertisment!

(FUCK YEAH, nearly all of his stuff referenced by now!)

Doesn't seem too optional especially for the competitive type. It's a free building that uses no resources and provides benefits, sounds like it should be in every city.

GAunderrated:

thatonedude11:

GAunderrated:

My apologies but the article's sentiments were really my own so I thought adding my own opinion wasn't necessary. It is blatant corporate whoring at its finest, especially since you can see it at the furthest zoom. It just goes to show that EA is trying to stuff as much crap into SimCity as people will allow.

The best method in this situation is to have the article in a quote box, provide the source (also in the quote box) and have a short paragraph at the end stating your agreement with the article.

OT: I personally have never been against advertising in games so long as they fit with the style of the game and are non-intrusive.

Does seem a bit silly to give it next to no downsides though, not a fan of that. (If the article is accurate, of course)

You think this is bad?

Gun manufacturers have been directly profiting from the likes of COD and Battlefield, taking royalties directly from game sales in return for allowing their guns to be used in games.

I'm sorry, but a Nissan charging station is the very least of the industry's problems regarding corporate whoring. If you're complaining about stuff like this, but still planning on getting the latest Call of Battleshooter, then pardon me if I call you out on having double standards. Nissan aren't an especially nice or decent company, but at least their products aren't used to directly kill people. Only indirectly.

Not the first time EA has done this.

Sim City Societies had branding on their Environmentally friendly buildings.

The brand? British Petroleum.

Also Sims has been doing the green shit with ecocars.

ThriKreen:
So... artists have to work at something while the programmers and scripters and QA are busy with the big 2.0 patch.

And some gamers take a look at the work and find it wanting.

I don't mind that crap like this exists, as long as I don't have to see it in my games. But I imagine EA will put this kind of stuff in in-game stores/repositories with adds or news pieces that users can't turn off.

In a free game I will tolerate it, in a game that I paid for I will feel nickled and dimed and lose any interest in buying further games from that company. But of course they have every right to do it, and they may not need me as a customer. Although in EA's case it seems they think they can do without customers at all, at the rate they are pissing people off.

KungFuJazzHands:

Of course, some gamers have no problem with this kind of product-whoring. Just don't start bitching when you're suddenly seeing paid SimCity DLC packs that include Carl Jr.s and Coca Cola manufacturing plants for your cities.

Making it free for the player and asking money for it are two different things, though.

I could sure go for a Nissan right about now! Not sure why...

Non issue. Frankly, I'm amazed more games set in modern times don't aggressively leverage product placement. What does it matter if you're playing, say, The Secret World, and there's a coke machine at a gas station? Or if you're driving around in Grand Theft Auto and there are billboards for real world businesses? A stupid Nissan building doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't need to plop it.

As long as this kind of DLC is free and optional and doesn't significantly damage the tone or integrity of the game it's utterly benign.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked