TotalBiscuit's very strange behavior in this Vlog video....

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

So TotalBiscuit loaded a new Vlog video talking about the new videos took from PAX2013. See it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEzlKZZGZg

To be quick about this video, TotalBiscuit openly said he just created this video to just to say to the viewers he is very disappointed that don't have a lot of views in these specific videos about the PAX's Videogames like Battleblock Theater, Apotheon, Divekick,etc.

Totalbiscuit said many correct things in the video, but I must say he was very........"serious" and "aggressive" about this subject.
Even if TB told the reasons why he is disappointed and asked help to understand what kind of videos must make in the future to have more views, but the way he express himself about his problem made a little angry I must say....
He spoke to us like we ALWAYS MUST all his videos must have 100.000+ views to feel "secure", and if he don't see these high numbers, it is our fault for his low views and we must feel guilty about this!

I must say I am a big fan of TB, but this strange behavior just made me curious why he think like this...

What do you think about that?

EDIT:

It seems I did overeacted somehow with the whole thing...
I don't know, all of you have right, but it seems I didn't released how I get affected when he speak negative for specific things.

Sure, when he tell his opinion for a game or in some gaming news, I don't mind, I like the style he have, but now I don't know....

So I am very sorry If my point doesn't make sense....

How long have you been watching TB for? This is his personality. He's a prickly guy. He takes criticism...or perceived criticism...to heart, and tends to lash out in response.

It's literally his job, people watching his video is how he makes money. No surprise then when after an unexpectedly slow week he's wondering what's going on with the lack of viewership.

This guy... yeah, he has this idea that if everyone was like him the world would be filled with rainbows and lolipops.

He can be right about some things but the way he says them are usually very hipocrital, like "I dont like this and you are an idiot if you do, you are hurting the industry by giving money to whoever did this, etc..."

BloatedGuppy:
How long have you been watching TB for? This is his personality. He's a prickly guy. He takes criticism...or perceived criticism...to heart, and tends to lash out in response.

Indeed, I already knew that he is serious about his job he have and I understand that. I also know at some point stopped to watch the comments from Youtube I think because the comments made TB nervous and anxious.

Also I understand that he needed a lot of effort and money to get at PAX and get footage from many different and interesting games that coming soon or later.

But I wanted to handle this "misfortune" with a lot more care and talk about this problem with the knowledge that not ALL viewers are interesting for many different games. He must had expected that this will happen.

The Madman:
It's literally his job, people watching his video is how he makes money. No surprise then when after an unexpectedly slow week he's wondering what's going on with the lack of viewership.

Yes, I agree with this as well. He have any kind of right to be nervous why he didn't had many views in the first place.
But this doesn't give him right to literally [not really] point at the viewers and say:
"You watch the videos and I get money from the advertisements. This is the law of my channel!!!!!! Why don't you watch the videos? HA? HAAAAAAA?".

Did you ever saw someone if he/she didn't went well with his/her views of the videos, to act like that?
A simple announcement from him for his lack of views and for advice should had been fine.

I wouldn't call this behaviour strange. He wants to know why people aren't watching his videos when they were previously. Especially when he thought at least some of them would be things people would definitely be interested in - for example the Transistor footage.

Plus this footage cost him shitloads (relatively) to make. If I remember it was at least $10000 for everything (travel expenses, new equipment). He needs to know whether it's worthwhile him doing this stuff. This is his livelihood he's talking about here. Course he's going to be serious, and being the type of personality TB is, aggressive about it too.

Never really understood Total Biscuit's appeal, or how he got so big in the first place. I mean, having seen his videos, he doesn't seem to offer any more or greater insight into gaming than your average Escapist user, his reviews don't tend to stand out all that much or seem to offer particular noteworthy critique... if he's complaining about not having hundreds of thousands of views, I'd respond by asking how did he get hundreds of thousands of views in the first place?

Guys like Jim or Yahtzee, I can understand how they get popular. Yahtzee ripped off Charlie Brooker for all he's worth has a rare skill in scathing cynicism, which is always fun to watch, and Jim manages to mix superb trolling with actually quite intelligent/humorous arguments about the state of the industry. Heck, much as I think MovieBob's Game Overthinker series gets painfully pretentious, he still offers up arguments and analysis that I wouldn't have found anywhere else (no-one else would be so willing to defend Other M). Total Biscuit just seems like a dude who talks about videogame stuff. If people dig that, fair enough, but it doesn't exactly strike me as the sort of material able to keep a large, long term audience. Not when the internet has a notoriously short attention span, and there are always new videogame commentators cropping up trying to get attention.

I'm not sure there's even a problem.

It's the easter holidays.
How many people take trips, or visit family, or whatever, and therefore do without their daily dose of youtube videos?
Even if they do, are they more likely to take 5m to watch a comedy show or whatever, then get back to their thing, than 20m on a game they've never heard of?

If he's thinking of it like a job, hello, I didn't get any work done over easter 'cos all my clients are closed.

SweetShark:
So TotalBiscuit loaded a new Vlog video talking about the new videos took from PAX2013. See it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEzlKZZGZg

To be quick about this video, TotalBiscuit openly said he just created this video to just to say to the viewers he is very disappointed that don't have a lot of views in these specific videos about the PAX's Videogames like Battleblock Theater, Apotheon, Divekick,etc.

Totalbiscuit said many correct things in the video, but I must say he was very........"serious" and "aggressive" about this subject.
Even if TB told the reasons why he is disappointed and asked help to understand what kind of videos must make in the future to have more views, but the way he express himself about his problem made a little angry I must say....
He spoke to us like we ALWAYS MUST all his videos must have 100.000+ views to feel "secure", and if he don't see these high numbers, it is our fault for his low views and we must feel guilty about this!

I must say I am a big fan of TB, but this strange behavior just made me curious why he think like this...

What do you think about that?

I think you can take his question as an honest question rather than criticism. His job is to provide us with things we like watching and he's provided us with a load of stuff that he thought we'd like and for some reason it doesn't seem like that happened. So he's wondering if people don't like it and he should stop doing it and explaining why he wants to know

What do I think?

Never seen one of this guy's videos before. Just got done watching the video you posted. Not going to start watching this guy any time soon.

I'm not really seeing any aggressiveness or sentiment of "you should be watching my videos" to it either.

TB's always pretty blunt. Sometimes arrogant, but as fair and honest as you can reasonably expect anyone to be. I don't really get this criticism that people often make of him that he thinks he knows better than everyone else and should do what he says. If there's anything unusual about the video it's that he sounds kind of confused. Whenever he makes videos he always tried to make sure he knows what he's talking about. So it was kind of odd to hear him come out and say he doesn't know what's going on.

As he's made clear many times, he doesn't care much for the specific opinions of commenters. I personally think he goes too far in that. Although there are obviously a lot of stupid people commenting on Youtube videos, I think when he does lash out at people, they're not entirely deserving of it.

But I don't begrudge him deciding to create content that he thinks is good, instead of trying to pander to his audience. So it's really strange to see him actually do what he has basically said he is against doing. That's not something TB would do if he understood what was going on. Also the reason he did it was something that I think would confuse somebody. I personally can't see why so many less people would watch the PAX videos compared to the regular content. If I was in his position I would probably be thinking a similar thing.

Scrustle:

But I don't begrudge him deciding to create content that he thinks is good, instead of trying to pander to his audience. So it's really strange to see him actually do what he has basically said he is against doing.

From the sound of it, expos are expensive and a lot of work. I guess there's a difference between producing quality content even though some people may not like it and losing a lot of money producing something that maybe people don't like.

Also he's got employees and a family, that always makes the situation of pandering more complicated

What's odd? He spends a lot of time and money (and travel, which takes away from his normal channel schedule and also gives him a bit of anxiety due to an issue he has with planes) to go to events and make videos. These videos get less than expected views, so he just comes out and acts his viewers if they really want that kind of content. He's basically just trying to see if this is a fluke, or if going and filming at conventions is really not worth it. I don't see whining or anything, just an honest question.

SweetShark:

The Madman:

Yes, I agree with this as well. He have any kind of right to be nervous why he didn't had many views in the first place.
But this doesn't give him right to literally [not really] point at the viewers and say:
"You watch the videos and I get money from the advertisements. This is the law of my channel!!!!!! Why don't you watch the videos? HA? HAAAAAAA?".

Did you ever saw someone if he/she didn't went well with his/her views of the videos, to act like that?
A simple announcement from him for his lack of views and for advice should had been fine.

Actually, TB may have gone with the video format so that he wouldn't sound like an ungrateful prick, actually taking time out of his schedule to address his dilemma on a video instead of tossing a quick blurb on Twitter. To be honest, I thought he sounded genuinely concerned and sincerely wanted to hear some feedback from his viewers. They're the man's bread and butter, after all. I suppose a sharp drop in views like that is the equivalent of getting a big pay cut in a standard 9-to-5 job.

Truth be told, I don't care much for game expo footage. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that I care far less about them now than I used to. I find that, as I get older, I find it more difficult to be excited about upcoming games. Perhaps it's the result of being too busy with the various responsibilities adulthood demands. Perhaps I've become more perceptive of the often misleading hype-a-palooza the industry churns up for these things. Perhaps it's the first signs of becoming a crotchety old man yelling at those dern kids to get off his lawn. Most likely it's some combination of these factors.

He's asking for customer feedback in order to improve his product, simple as. We've just done a very similar thing where I work because we've had a very quiet weekend, we opened over Easter weekend and it wasn't worth the expense, so we're considering weather or not to bother next year. TB said that the PAX coverage required considerable investments of time and money, so if it isn't working it's something he needs to figure out quickly in order for it to remain profitable.

As for the tone, as someone who's watched a lot of his videos, he didn't come across nearly as prickly or arrogant as some people claim he usually does, he just sounded a little perplexed and disappointed to me.

Considering the footage he had from last pax he covered he assumed that having a better setup would score him more views.However my opinion is that those will score the views but in the long run.Those games havent even built a hype to get people curious.Also those games might not appease his viewership.

He got my views on the project shield test he did since he was the only one doing it correctly or at all.

Even the mighty shall fall(sorry seemed appropriate to say that)

I went into that VLOG expecting TB to have blown a fuse which wasn't the case, he was just been honest in his own blunt mannerism.

As for how I watch his channel, apart from the odd WTF I go there for his content patch and lately he has been too sporadic with that show so I stopped checking on his channel daily until he puts more. I have watched expos in the past but there was more content patches at the time to keep me visiting the channel.

He really should get a co star to help out presenting the channel that or clone himself .

TB complains about his subscriber's over zealous fanboy-ism yet whines when his videos don't get enough views. I really cannot stand him anymore, I used to be a fan, I really did, until his crusade on FOV. I tried getting back into his videos with his The War Z video, but of course 5 minutes in he complains about the FOV. In all honesty, this is how he always acts.

He's being factual and sincere, traits western society lost a while ago. I didn't see any aggressiveness at all by the way. In fact he's doing what we ask every game industry figure to do, he's asking his public what they want.

That's not really strange, it's someone who's not used to being famous taking it for granted. It's not like he's the first person to do this. Pretty much every Youtube celebrity has made a "why aren't you guys appreciating me" video.

EDIT: Excluding the people who manage to stay down to earth and remember that they're making a living off of putting videos on the internet when almost all the rest of the world isn't so lucky.

BloatedGuppy:

I do too.

I usually apologize once I've distanced myself from the incident but I get very passionate about what I do.

I feel like he's passionate about it and he found something he was proud of and nobody seemed to like it. That can be a tough pill to swallow.

Judgement101:
TB complains about his subscriber's over zealous fanboy-ism yet whines when his videos don't get enough views. I really cannot stand him anymore, I used to be a fan, I really did, until his crusade on FOV. I tried getting back into his videos with his The War Z video, but of course 5 minutes in he complains about the FOV. In all honesty, this is how he always acts.

I only recently started watching but I really liked his PAX East stuff. He was very understanding and positive to these people. A lot of folks are hyper critical about games at every stage of development and it is nice to see people giving them a chance to show their work and try.

NOT for everyone I'm sure, but I was one of the few that was enjoying myself. Even gonna buy a few of the games (like the block co-op game).

Whats my opinion on this? His money is being threatened.

He's always been pretty open with his fanbase, He's not pretending like the money dosen't matter to him. He's admitted that his channel is analytic based. And, while the money isnt the sole reason why he does this, he wants to get the most bang for his time spent. To me, he's just trying to understand what he did wrong.

Xdeser2:
Whats my opinion on this? His money is being threatened.

He's always been pretty open with his fanbase, He's not pretending like the money dosen't matter to him. He's admitted that his channel is analytic based. And, while the money isnt the sole reason why he does this, he wants to get the most bang for his time spent. To me, he's just trying to understand what he did wrong.

Yep. It was a bit too long but I watched the first 10 minutes of it and thought he was asking good questions.

SweetShark:

I assume this came later than the 10 minute mark >.>.

SweetShark:
it is our fault for his low views and we must feel guilty about this!

Now I haven't watched the entire video yet, however I've seen none of this. Most of his language is "what have I done wrong", "What could I do to make you more interested.

edit:
And his desire for not wanting to speculate as to what might be the cause and/or change things to what he thinks his viewers want, instead actually asking what his viewers want is respectable. The games industry could learn from this approach.

i will be honest if your new to watching (or listening) to TB he can be something of an acquired taste. his personality and mannerism can be off putting be cause he seems to think that he's always in the right and most of time his opinion are correct but then their are the cases his opinions are not as popular and he strongly takes offense to some people who go against them. but to be honest you get use to him.

SweetShark:
...and if he don't see these high numbers, it is our fault for his low views ...

Well, it is. If we're not watching the videos, who will? Sentient trees?
As he himself said in that same video, this is his job. If people don't watch his videos, he doesn't get paid. Asking his viewers why these particular videos were so unsuccessful just seems to be practical business sense.

he spent a ton of money bringing you (his viewers) convention content and didnt get much of it back. i dont get why youre taking it so personally. the vlog was simply "people havent been watching the new content and id like to know what i can do to prevent that from happening in the future." it seems perfectly reasonable to me and certainly not the middle finger to his fanbase that you seem to be making it out to be

TrevHead:
... apart from the odd WTF I go there for his content patch and lately he has been too sporadic with that show so I stopped checking on his channel daily until he puts more. I have watched expos in the past but there was more content patches at the time to keep me visiting the channel.

He really should get a co star to help out presenting the channel that or clone himself .

I don't know if you watched the entire Vlog video, but he did explain that to cover all of PAX East, they brought along the guy who actually puts together the Content Patch videos, so he couldn't be at work making them because... he wasn't there.

Danceofmasks:
If he's thinking of it like a job, hello, I didn't get any work done over easter 'cos all my clients are closed.

He is, because it is.

Strange behaviour? Dude, this is how he makes money. If people aren't watching the videos he doesn't make money. It's in his best interests to make a video about less than usual views to see what's up.

"Hi, this is how my business works, but we're having a problem, what would you guys like us to do?"

That's pretty much exactly what the video said. If you felt like he was lashing out at you, get skin more than a micron thick then come back to the internet.

alphamalet:
What do I think?

Never seen one of this guy's videos before. Just got done watching the video you posted. Not going to start watching this guy any time soon.

This is why I hate it when people like OP intentionally miss the point of his video in order to spread hate and misinformation to gullible people such as yourself who base an entire person's worth off one little thing.

The guy did something that he thought his fans would really like, it ended up flopping, he asked for honest feedback (which is rare) because it is his job. However, because OP phrased it like he needs to be secure when it OP's reaction really feels insecure.

If I saw my paycheck drop in half during one week you would bet I would ask the same question. I would freely admit that I believe the video was in poor taste, but people's reaction to him just asking that simple question is the real disgusting part.

I watched the first ten minutes and I saw nothing strange. OP sounds like he's horribly misconstruing what TB said. TB simply said it's a big investment to go to these and he wants to know why people aren't interested in them and if they should continue.
He seemed a little disappointed, but hardly how you made him sound OP. Maybe his tone shifts later in the video, but I don't feel like wasting that much time. I'm not even a big fan of TB either.

I don't blame him at all for his worries. After all he just dropped 10k USD to actually bring the latest content that most of us wouldn't even hear about that suit his tastes. He lives and dies by his view count because he is expanding internally and not externally. He may have 1 million subscribers but they aren't consistent viewers though and most probably subscribed and left. So if he isn't getting the views which have been low then his business will suffer and if it suffers enough then he won't be self sustaining to which makes me wonder about his business model and records management.

I mean imagine the NEXT convention he goes to and costs him the same. That is critical to him especially when you consider that his career as a shoutcaster isn't exactly supporting his family either.

I can't be bothered to watch that vlog...but what I do know is;

He made a massive video about not taking requests. Then he blocked a few people for making jokes about it. Then he disabled upvoting/downvoting comments.

I find a great thing about youtube & a lot of websites can be the upvoting of comments...you can immediately see what the general consensus and reaction is too the authors viewpoints. Take that away and you're left with a wall of text. So when all other channels provide this service and TB doesn't some people might not event click the link anymore.

He can do what he wants, it's his channel but maybe some viewers have been turned off? Felt his channel is no longer relevant to them. Or my understanding is people view his relevant videos during steam sales or a big release (that is also released on steam). Are Pax games on steam yet? No.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked