TotalBiscuit's very strange behavior in this Vlog video....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I watch his first impression WTF is series and his hyper incompetant single draft dota series.

The dota one is what showed me what DotA was and since then I started not only playing but watching a few of the professional tourneys. Though its become a sadist thing because i end up crying when he fails on my heroes (oh poor broodmother) :P
And WTF is .. I watch simply to see what some of these new games on steam are so I know if they are worth getting.

Id rather watch stuff on games that are already completed and ready to play NOW than stuff that wont be out for awhile.

Though its getting to the point where I only watch his DotA stuff and ignore most other vids due to them all being indy puzzlers/8-bit retro both of which I dont like/he has mentioned he sucks at playing so TB doesnt show them in the best light anyway.

GAunderrated:
snip

Look buddy, I've produced video content online too, and a similar situation has happened to me. You know what I didn't do? Complain to my viewers for 20 minutes with a passive aggressive tone that attempts to make them feel guilty. I sat down, figured out what I did wrong, and tried something different next time. He goes on and on saying, "This is one of the few times I'll actually ask for feedback from you guys." How ridiculously arrogant is that, and how would the common viewer know what went wrong better than him and his team? They wouldn't. If you want to call me a dummy for that than be my guest, but my statement stands. After that, I won't be watching this guy, and I think it rather sad of you to defend him after that display.

josemlopes:
This guy... yeah, he has this idea that if everyone was like him the world would be filled with rainbows and lolipops.

He can be right about some things but the way he says them are usually very hipocrital, like "I dont like this and you are an idiot if you do, you are hurting the industry by giving money to whoever did this, etc..."

I am a fan of TB and his reviews. However I don't like some of his behavior, especially view count obsession.

It gets pointless when some Youtubers behave like subscribers are not there for their own personal experience and enternatinment, instead they are there just to earn money to that Youtuber. Such Youtubers should know their audience is the "customer", not the Youtuber's himself is "customer". We are not serving money to them, they are serving content to us.

So Total Biscuit should ask himself the question "why my view count is low", instead of asking us "why you are not watching ME!"

Total Biscuit acts contradictory towards his comments and subscribers.
Some days, he fights with his followers by saying "I DON'T TAKE REQUESTS! I STOPPED VOTING IN COMMENTS! THIS IS MY CHANNEL, I WILL DO WHAT I WANT TO DO!". There are funny parts in that situation. First of all, yes, you can not satisfy everyone in the world, and if he starts to take requests, there will be no end to it. However, if a comment upvoted by tens or even hundreds, that could mean a huge amount of his followers want to see that thing in his channel. And carrying out that idea is not same as "doing a request for a single person leads to a huge problem" matter. He automatically claimed that every upvoted comment is made by a single troll (that means, that troll opened hundreds of Youtube account and upvoted his comment over and over), and he neglected that it COULD BE upvoted by majority of his followers (that means, many of his followers are agreeing on that comment). Weird, he takes requests from game developers, but not from his followers.

Now, he asks his followers "why you didn't watched my latest videos? don't you love me anymore?" type of questions.
There could be many reasons for it, but he automatically jumps to "they don't like me, so I have to renew my channel" attitude.
Maybe people were at holiday? Maybe people were stuck on a specific game? Maybe people don't care games at PAX? Maybe people were waiting for a specific game and news were not exciting for them?

Low video view count doesn't automatically means that video sucks or people don't want to watch it. Maybe "target audience for that specific video" didn't heard or seen such a video is exist. If so, announcing or advertising that video for that video's target audience, will improve the view counts. Cancelling and destroying everything just because some of your followers didn't watch them, will not solve the problem.

I don't know if TB will read the posts here, but I wish to tell him this:
"Stop worrying about view counts and continue what you do best. Some periodic changes can always happen, but everything sits down eventually."

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Never really understood Total Biscuit's appeal, or how he got so big in the first place. I mean, having seen his videos, he doesn't seem to offer any more or greater insight into gaming than your average Escapist user, his reviews don't tend to stand out all that much or seem to offer particular noteworthy critique...
Guys like Jim or Yahtzee, I can understand how they get popular. Yahtzee has a rare skill in scathing cynicism, which is always fun to watch, and Jim manages to mix superb trolling with actually quite intelligent/humorous arguments about the state of the industry.

You are hugely overrating "average Escapist user" or underrating Total Biscuit.

Total Biscuit's channel's aim is not "comedy" or "humor", but "review" and "information". So it will be pointless to compare TB with Yahtzee.

Yahtzee teases games weekly. It is aimed primarily for humor. You don't get much information from Yahtzee's videos, but entertained by the funny parts of the game.
Total Biscuit review games every other day. It is aimed primarily for information, review and critique. You watch his videos for getting knowledge and news about gaming.

I don't think "average Escapist user" is that knowledgable or careful in gaming. or "average 4chan user", "average Youtube user", "average Steam player" or briefly, "average internet user".
A typical gamer follows only one Ideology and shapes his comments around that Idea.
Total Biscuit tries to be objective, unbiased, and reviews every aspect of the game deeply (yes, even the settings menus, I don't know any internet user-gamer who cares about settings menus).

Let's give an example, in DA2/ME3 discussions on internet (in every forums of every sites), there are two types of gamers:
1- One that protects and defends Bioware just because "LGBT is the new modernism values and the new target of humanity" and Bioware likes to put Gay relations on their games.
2- One that bashes and mocks Bioware just because their games are not "the next Fallout 1" and "a non-isometric game can not be called a RPG".
So, I don't expect much from any "average internet gamer".
However, Total Biscuit reviews these games from the eyes of both the developer and the gamer. He points out both the advantages and the disadvantages of the game while playing it. He doesn't bash a game "just because it is not his favorite genre" or doesn't overhype a game just because it is the trend of the month.

People love TB's channel, because he is not your typical game media site that gives a game automatically 9.5/10 just because it is a triple-A (AAA) game. People love to see objective game reviewers.
Reviewers like Total Biscuit or Angry Joe are not common in gaming media.
If you know "average Escapist user" who can review a game as detailed and deeply at least as TB or AJ, please let me know.

Judgement101:

wolf thing:

Judgement101:
TB complains about his subscriber's over zealous fanboy-ism yet whines when his videos don't get enough views. I really cannot stand him anymore, I used to be a fan, I really did, until his crusade on FOV. I tried getting back into his videos with his The War Z video, but of course 5 minutes in he complains about the FOV. In all honesty, this is how he always acts.

he get money every time some one watches his videos, the only money he gets, this is his job, this is not about fanboys this is about he lively hood, if you suddenly began losing money on your job you by all right would be asking why, thats all TB is doing. as for the FOV thing, on larger moniter a small FOV can cause motion sickness, which for those who suffer it can be a big deal.

I should have clarified what I meant about the video thing better. He always over-saturates his channel with PAX/GamesCon/Other gaming convention videos, complains how they don't get enough views, then says that he apologizes for the over-saturation. He has done this several times over (please see his Shootmania series and GamesCon coverage.). My issue is that he pretends to be professional when he's really just stuck in a cycle of raging then apologizing. I don't dislike him, I just don't like how he acts. And as for the FOV thing, it just bugs me because he's been beating a dead horse for several months now about that. (The main thing that bugged me was his Retro-City Rampage video, just watch the part where he talks about FOV and you'll know what I mean.)

i never really noticed an over abundance of con footage on his channel but you are right when he does post it there is a tone of it, much of it does not interest me. i still dont think hes being to angry about it this time, hes asking what he did wrong and how he can change, it has his overly confident and some time arrogant tone but that is what does. he has been overly angry at times but i dont think he is this time.

When I first saw this video, I felt like he was bitching at his viewers for not watching his videos, and in turn not making him any money.
I never watch his PAX stuff because I watch his videos to hear his opinion on it, but I'm really just hearing the dev talking and him not really discussing the game, the noise in the background is also really annoying

Total Biscuit's an asshat. Being an asshole kinda goes hand in hand with that.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Never really understood Total Biscuit's appeal, or how he got so big in the first place. I mean, having seen his videos, he doesn't seem to offer any more or greater insight into gaming than your average Escapist user, his reviews don't tend to stand out all that much or seem to offer particular noteworthy critique... if he's complaining about not having hundreds of thousands of views, I'd respond by asking how did he get hundreds of thousands of views in the first place?

I watched him for a while to see gameplay from new and upcoming games which is often a good way to judge whether or not I would like it. Though at some point he became tiresome and I ceased watching him although that's fairly standard behaviour for me.

Some things about him sadden me, such as when I went to the Revelations 2012 forum on Steam and saw all the TB fanboys who'd never played the game basically trolling the forums. Which is not to say that it's his fault, but it's a symptom of his following and regardless of how allegedly shitty a game is it's not particularly fair to the developers.

Erm...bit of a whiny git, isn't he?

Ickorus:

Sight Unseen:

Ickorus:

Much like TB did with his little Defiance video?

That is, complaining like fuck about AI whilst in the tutorial, giving his viewers a false sense of the quality of the game because the devs intentionally made the enemies in that area braindead because they're hoping to entice the viewers of the TV series who may not be big time gamers to play and want to ease them into the game gently.

The game actually gets a lot tougher and the AI a lot better later on, the only valid complain in that whole video was that the options menu could be better for PC.

OT: Way back when I watched all of his videos and then he went into it full time and I was OK with that, and then he threw his first tantrum and I was a bit put off but recovered and then he started getting very elitist and threw more tantrums and I was put off and my interest in his videos dwindled rather sharply from there to the point that I'd only watch his videos if the game was one I wasn't totally sold on but liked the look of.

I won't deny it, his WTF videos are helpful but his personality is very grating to me.

Did you miss the parts where he mentioned that this is still the tutorial and not to take it as an overall representation of the quality of the whole game? He said it several times, and said that since this isn't his overall WTF is... for the game that it should be taken with a massive grain of salt. He posted it as an early concern, because the AI was HORRIBLE for the tutorial. It wasn't even like they were slightly stupider, it was like they were blind, deaf and retarded...

His vlog video actually showed background footage of Defiance outside of the tutorial and offered some more insight into it, and he will do a proper WTF is... once he gets a better idea of what the game is and where it shines and falters.

OT: Nothing was wrong with that vlog, just a guy who gets paid based on view count wondering if he fucked up something or id his viewers dont want convention footage.

Exactly, he said the AI might get better later on so he should have realized how unfair it was to post a video on his relatively popular channel slamming the game for it's tutorial AI.

I saw MANY comments of people saying the video convinced them not to buy the game and he knew full well that his video would have that effect, I find that rather annoying.

So he shouldn't point out potential problems to people in a straightforward manner? He made very clear the fact that what he was pointing out will not represent the quality of the full game. If I were you, I'd be rallying against the dimwits who were prepared to write off an entire game based on that single issue, which TB stated several times shouldn't be taken as gospel.
Honestly, I think some people take what he says, and how he says it, WAY too seriously and completely overreact....like the OP saying he was aggressive in his VLog when he simply wasn't being aggressive in any way, shape or form. Is it a cultural thing? Are Americans or other countries simply not used to a Geordie accent and mistake it for being aggressive? As a Scot, I know that people often mistake our accents and volume of speech as being aggressive when it's anything but.

Akalabeth:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Never really understood Total Biscuit's appeal, or how he got so big in the first place. I mean, having seen his videos, he doesn't seem to offer any more or greater insight into gaming than your average Escapist user, his reviews don't tend to stand out all that much or seem to offer particular noteworthy critique... if he's complaining about not having hundreds of thousands of views, I'd respond by asking how did he get hundreds of thousands of views in the first place?

I watched him for a while to see gameplay from new and upcoming games which is often a good way to judge whether or not I would like it. Though at some point he became tiresome and I ceased watching him although that's fairly standard behaviour for me.

Some things about him sadden me, such as when I went to the Revelations 2012 forum on Steam and saw all the TB fanboys who'd never played the game basically trolling the forums. Which is not to say that it's his fault, but it's a symptom of his following and regardless of how allegedly shitty a game is it's not particularly fair to the developers.

Ahhh, more evidence of someone blaming the wrong person for the behaviour of others. You say that some things about HIM sadden you, and then go on to list the actions of a bunch of over-zealous fans of his that aren't him. You don't see the problem with what you just typed there?

It's all very well to not agree with his opinions, but to slam him for stuff he didn't personally do is more than a little stupid.

Susan Arendt:

How so? By asking for honest feedback when he sees views drop drastically? I don't think that's whiny, it's pretty smart actually considering the money he laid out to go to PAX.

Sounds fine to me.
"That was very expensive and if you guys aren't all that interested in that kind of content I'm not going to make that kind of investment again."

What makes it sound whiny to me is something he's brought up in the video. He tries to make fairly long videos, 15-20 minutes, and he sounds like he's struggling to fit the above statement into 20 minutes.

alphamalet:

GAunderrated:
snip

Look buddy, I've produced video content online too, and a similar situation has happened to me. You know what I didn't do? Complain to my viewers for 20 minutes with a passive aggressive tone that attempts to make them feel guilty. I sat down, figured out what I did wrong, and tried something different next time. He goes on and on saying, "This is one of the few times I'll actually ask for feedback from you guys." How ridiculously arrogant is that, and how would the common viewer know what went wrong better than him and his team? They wouldn't. If you want to call me a dummy for that than be my guest, but my statement stands. After that, I won't be watching this guy, and I think it rather sad of you to defend him after that display.

Well friend, I think you are missing a bit of context in his situation compared to your own. Are you online content your main source of income? I highly doubt it. Again as I have said before in a post if my paycheck got cut in half one week you would bet I would ask why.

You think he is arrogant and I think you are just being oversensitive. Opinions are everywhere so you might as well get used to it and not let every little thing bother you. I find it funny that you think I am "defending" TB as a person when really I am just defending someone's right to ask for feedback when his livelihood is at stake.

I've also said this before which you seemed to miss the point, I agree the video was in poor taste. However, I don't fault him for asking his fans for feedback on what went wrong or take his video as a personal insult. The man is trying to make a living and for you to take it personal is the truly sad state of affairs.

dennett316:

Susan Arendt:

How so? By asking for honest feedback when he sees views drop drastically? I don't think that's whiny, it's pretty smart actually considering the money he laid out to go to PAX.

Asking for feedback is one thing - obsessively listing how many views all the other videos got is another. It's perfectly reasonable to say "Hey, doesn't look like you guys enjoyed that, so what *would* you like?" but that's not his approach at all.

dennett316:

Akalabeth:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Ahhh, more evidence of someone blaming the wrong person for the behaviour of others. You say that some things about HIM sadden you, and then go on to list the actions of a bunch of over-zealous fans of his that aren't him. You don't see the problem with what you just typed there?

It's all very well to not agree with his opinions, but to slam him for stuff he didn't personally do is more than a little stupid.

Has he ever condemned such behaviour? With power comes responsibility, and if your views are prompting people to behave in an irresponsible manner you should educate your viewers as to how this is not acceptable. So yes I'm sorry but he is in part to blame, not for the initial backlash against the developer, but for failing to hold people to account for it.

Didn't get an 'aggressive' vibe from the video at all.
He just wants to know if the audience actually wants the PAX videos or not.

I don't care for most of them, though I did watch the shield stuff.

Anyone else remember when he DJed for Planetside Radio?

Off topic but... "Vlog" means "video blog." So your title basically says "In this video blog video..."

FaceFaceFace:
Off topic but... "Vlog" means "video blog." So your title basically says "In this video blog video..."

Yeeeaaahhhhh....you are right, but lazy now to fix it. Maybe tommorow.

BloatedGuppy:
How long have you been watching TB for? This is his personality. He's a prickly guy. He takes criticism...or perceived criticism...to heart, and tends to lash out in response.

Honestly, after the Clevernoobs v. Smudboy clusterfuck, this isn't what i'd call lashing out over criticism.

AC10:
Didn't get an 'aggressive' vibe from the video at all.
He just wants to know if the audience actually wants the PAX videos or not.

I don't care for most of them, though I did watch the shield stuff.

Except for the part where he guilt trips the audience. :P

As said many times before me, he just wants input whether or not to invest in these kinds of videos. So I won't go into my thoughts on that in detail.

But, to be completely honest, I did feel something was off with the video, like a little nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right. That's the reason I clicked this thread, but I think it to be more a point of his... Voice, tone, underlying language that just felt really, really off. Like when you're talking to a person you know really well and you picked up on something "Off" and later you find out they've recently tried to blow their brains out. It's just that slight variance in a person's behavior.

Maybe the money was initially supposed to go to something else, maybe something unforeseen came up that the money could have helped with.

*Extreme scenario-mode on* Maybe he told a dear family member that he couldn't come to their birthday because of PAX and when he and crew came back said family member had died. *throws hands into the air*

It's fascinating to see some of the negative reactions emanating from this thread. It would be like someone going of the rails, because you asked them to pass the salt.

That separate people can see the same video but see drastically different things is remarkable.

Half of it feels like he asks for feedback (which is definitely a good thing)
The other half sounds like whining about how nobody wuves his channel...which is kinda awkward.
Well, for me TB is just a fun WTF-vid I watch once a week or so, so I dont really care. Sounds just strange to me.

Im not sure if i watched the same video as every one else but all i got from this was him asking "how can i improve my convention videos or should i stop doing them?" rather then "you are idiot for not watching them"

heck we get mad at people for assuming they know what we want without asking and now someone is doing it we are getting mad.... logic?

Nothing wrong with asking for feedback. It's just a bit rich when you've not long ago had a big rant telling people not to give feedback.

The way I saw it was that he was miffed (love that word) because the point of WTF is (or one of them) according to him is to bring to light exicting or innovative new indie games that he thinks should be bought because they're fucking sweet. Now he's gone to PAX and brought lots of coverage of the new cool and innovative indie stuff and they got piss-all views (considering he has a million subscribers he should really be getting at least a 1/10th of those in views even on his less popular videos), and when he did some AAA games recently as a WTF is? he got a load more than the indie games, which would naturally be jarring since that's not what he started the series to do. Also he's got a perfect right to be pissed if no-one watches his videos, he's paid for the videos he makes, if they get low views, he gets less money, and he's been down the "broke as shit" road before and definately doesn't want to go there again.

WoW Killer:
Nothing wrong with asking for feedback. It's just a bit rich when you've not long ago had a big rant telling people not to give feedback.

Not just your comment but what seems so be a fairly used argument in this thread. I, personally think you're mixing pears and apples. Yes, they are both delicious fruits from a tree, but if you want an apple you don't buy a pear.

What I'm getting at here is that; he has always asked for feedback. What he don't want is regulating. "Please like if you liked or dislike if you didn't but remember to post why not." This is not a case of him going "I don't like your views unless I need to." It's more a case of "I'd like some constructive criticism, so I can take into account what you are saying. But don't try to regulate my content."

I love being told some tricks and tips when it comes to my drawings, like better shadowing techniques or interesting ideas. But if I'm turning a profit on character-creation I don't want some random guy on the Internet telling me I should do backgrounds and try to make a profit from that, simply because he/she likes scenery better for one reason or another.

Is it a surprise there's less views? The games he got footage of are all pretty meh.

I followed his WTF is.. series for the longest time specifically for the indie footage but the indies at PAX... well.Boot hill heroes looks atrocious, Mark of the ninja was a presentation of what's essentially an expansion, Divekick is a two button fighting game (and that single sentence sums up everything you ever want to know about it) and he had a three parter on the project shield thing, which is interesting, but not "three parter" interesting.

I'm not watching TB's channel because it's TB. I'm watching in spite of it being TB. His personality is aggressive and abrasive, if honest. Still, he was (is) the best one out there for exploring new games, so he got my views.

Still, it's jarring to see him that scared because a week's worth of video's failed to bring in the views. Sure, you could ask for feedback on the why of it, but to put out such a haphazardly slapped together video in which 60% of the time he's talking about the issues with Defiance which has nothing to do with the "Are you still there?" topic seems pretty desperate. If he really is living that hand to mouth, he needs to rethink his life a bit.

The issue here was that he spent a lot of money on getting out videos that didn't get a lot of views, which in terms cost the channel money. Even though he seems to love his job of making videos on games, he's still completely aware of the fact that it's his source of income. Thus, he wants that income, and even as a person who blatantly says "I don't take requests", he's still open to suggestions from his followers in regards to what kinds of content people want to watch.
It's not really more complicated than that. The channel made a lot less money than expected, and he wants some feedback as to why, and whether or not this is something that's worth investing in again.

Didn't see anything wrong with the video, his "WTF is" series has helped me find some great games, "Thomas was alone, Antichamber, etc) and his PSA's I find are helpful to. Dodged the Simcity bullet because of his videos. He's always been clear that he makes videos for views. That's the deal, he doesn't want a community springing up around his channel or to even be loved by his fans. He wants to make the videos that you want to watch, so that you watch them and he gets paid.

That suits me just fine, I watch his content that I like and I don't what he doesn't. So when he produces a bunch of expensive content that I don't want to watch like the PAX stuff, I don't mind giving him the feedback he's asking for in the vlog.

It's pretty easy to tell who did watch the video and understand what it really was, which was very much an exercise in humility and gathering feedback from the audience, making sure I'm making the videos they want to watch and those that didn't and aren't even subscribed to the channel making a gigantic pile of assumptions based on the misleading OP and their established perception of what they think it is I do/am like.

TotalBiscuit:
It's pretty easy to tell who did watch the video and understand what it really was, which was very much an exercise in humility and gathering feedback from the audience, making sure I'm making the videos they want to watch and those that didn't and aren't even subscribed to the channel making a gigantic pile of assumptions based on the misleading OP and their established perception of what they think it is I do/am like.

You know TB. I'd really love for you to unblock me from your YT page... I mean, I can still see updates on your twitter but it'd be alot more convenient to see your updates on my subscription page.

Unless you can't be arsed to do that. In which case... nevermind then. Oh, and welcome to the Escapist!

OT: I watched the video before, and I didn't see any problems with it. Seems more like he was reaching for real feedback to see what viewers want, and/or if there's any problems with his coverage. I would've offered my own constructive feedback within the comments section.

But

You know.

Tohuvabohu:

TotalBiscuit:

You know TB. I'd really love for you to unblock me from your YT page... I mean, I can still see updates on your twitter but it'd be alot more convenient to see your updates on my subscription page.

Unless you can't be arsed to do that. In which case... nevermind then. Oh, and welcome to the Escapist!

OT: I watched the video before, and I didn't see any problems with it. Seems more like he was reaching for real feedback to see what viewers want, and/or if there's any problems with his coverage. I would've offered my own constructive feedback within the comments section.

But

You know.

Hmm? What username?

TotalBiscuit:

Hmm? What username?

Username: Titanium

It was during your great commentvote crusade shortly after your WTF is Omerta video. Sadly, I believe I was caught in the collateral damage of that event.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked