Microsoft's Creative Director... Defends "Always On"...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft's Creative Director, Adam Orth, said he "Doesn't get the Drama about having an 'Always On' Console. He said that every device is now 'Always On', and that we should "Deal with it". When he was questioned about the anger from Sim City and Diablo III, and that Internet Connections can go out, he replied "Electricity goes out Too." When he was told that Gamers lived in Non-Urban areas with Low internet Capabilities, and was told he should go live there, he replied "Why on earth would I live there?"

... Wow Microsoft, wow. Way to kind of support Rumors of an Always Online Nextbox. I think you might need to fire this guy. Regardless of his points, he also acted like a jerk, and painted the company as uncaring, ungrateful and one that does not care for it's fanbase...

Thoughts?

I think Bioshock Infinite and GTA V and possibly Saints Row IV will probably be the last AAA games I ever buy.

well good for him, my opinion against this kind of shit will be "always on" too

fucker. Goodluck to all consoles next generation of getting me to buy one, regardless of what games are or aren't on them. I'll just rent and beat the game in a weekend if i really want to play the game that badly.

Is...he really that naive?

Nahhhh he's gotta be trolling. Seriously. I get having to defend being always online but he is trolling.

I don't even have an internet connection on my Xbox, I have to haul it, and the TV, into a different room to get signal :/

Oh well, Im already planning on switching to PC next gen.

As somebody who lives 30 miles away from the nearest big city ...

Man. I know what to expect by now, but sometimes the arrogance and stupidity of people in these positions still astounds me.

Seems like trolling after reading the source.
But...I think they might just be saving face. As in: "wow I just typed something that I believe in and everyone else finds it really fucking stupid. Better say that I was trolling and get this guy to cover my back to prevent consumer discontent stemming from this".

I hope it's the earlier and they're just poking fun at the idea, but I fear it's probably the latter.

I think there definitely some advantages to having an always online console.. but this guy is just a tool, and if this really is the way MS is approaching the next generation (and their users), then it's pretty much sealed that I won't get whatever they decide to call the next Xbox. And I'm a guy who currently only owns a 360.

The viewpoint spouted by Orthy basically shows nothing but disdain for a huge part of their potential user base, and I certainly hope that he, at the least, gets very publically dressed down tomorrow.

Its him and some guy he knows messing around with each other. Its pretty much in the same tone as some kid on the school yard defending the n64 because the cartridges are harder to mess up. A fair number of sites have just grabbed a few of the tweets cause they look pretty bad out of context.

I suspect this is going to explode on his face. Feel free to use the dirtiest mental image possible for that.

Anyway, the difference between my electricity going out and my internet dropping is electricity is considered by virtually every Industrialised Government as a necessity, and is treated accordingly. When my electricity goes out, everything goes out. The internet, however, isn't considered a necessity, and when it drops it's the only thing that drops.

If the next Xbox requires an internet connection, Sony's gonna make a metric fuck-ton of money.

For some reason, I thought it read Minecraft instead of Microsoft.

That would have been... interesting.

Requia:
Oh well, Im already planning on switching to PC next gen.

You and me both. I don't think the next generation's gonna cut for me.

Mr.Mattress:
Regardless of his points, he also acted like a jerk, and painted the company as uncaring, ungrateful and one that does not care for it's fanbase...

Sounds a lot like a certain other company we love to hate...

Actually, that could describe some other companies as well...

I once spent a year in a somewhat remote of my country, living in a company trailer on a work site. It would average -30C (-22F) in the winter, so most of my time off was spent inside, wrapped up in blankets, playing video games. Internet was slow and spotty. It would tend to go out every two or three hours, but would always snap back on in about twenty minutes. This was fine enough for all of my non-gaming needs, and most of my gaming needs. I was a huge single player junkie, which was good, because I was in no condition for prolonged multiplayer engagements. Downloading a 5GB game on Steam took a full day, but after it arrived on my HardDrive, there was never an issue.

I cannot image having to play an 'Always-On' Single Player Game. Just wondering when my spotty connection would drop and force me out of a game would be enough to avoid purchasing it altogether.

I know I'm the minority on this. The vast majority of gamer's are always connected to the net, and I spent a full year living in a very tiny minority.

But this is not the point. The problems we had with SimCity and Diablo III weren't caused by 'MY internet connection sucks'. It was causes by 'YOUR internet connection sucks'. If you're going to enforce this 'Always-On' bullshit, the maybe you should make sure your systems can remain 'Always-On'. Remember the when the Playstation Network going down back in 2011? Remember how long that lasted? Now image if instead of not being able to play online multiplayer for a full month, you aren't able to play games at all.

Ill "deal with" the fact that companies make poor business decisions all the time but they need to "deal with" the fact that Im going to call them on it and Im not going to buy their products

As I read this it really comes off as a teenager trying to defend something and that doesnt paint the company in a good light. However I suspect that a lot of it has been taken out of context as well.

Good thing I have no intention of ever buying another console. PC gaming master race for me.

The funny thing is that this is going to be the nail in the coffin in the competitive console market for the new generation. I can either buy a PS4 and not have to deal with that shit, or I can buy a 720 and have to deal with that shit. Fuck that.

Captcha: pie are squared

The Captchas are getting smarter.

Mr.Mattress:
... Wow Microsoft, wow. Way to kind of support Rumors of an Always Online Nextbox. I think you might need to fire this guy. Regardless of his points, he also acted like a jerk, and painted the company as uncaring, ungrateful and one that does not care for it's fanbase...

Thoughts?

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-creative-director-doesnt-get-the-drama-aro-470793216
http://www.abload.de/img/13651290313969pkf7.jpg

Yeah, I'd say this is pretty much confirmed by now. Probably not the best way to announce it.

By the way, he locked his Twitter Account now:

Keep in mind this comes after: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-20-next-xbox-games-run-from-hard-drive-discs-not-supported-post-install-report a few weeks ago

Coupled with that, new references to an "always-on, always connected" console throw weight behind previous rumours that the console will block pre-owned games.

It's easy to imagine a product key system, verified by the console every time a game loads from the hard drive via its always-online nature. Once a game was installed, its disc(s) would become redundant.

and earlier today: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

The biggest issue with always online, at least in so far as Diablo 3 and SimCity were concerned, was primarily on the other end. The servers on the developer's side of the equation were not able to hold up to the strain of having everyone connected all the time. Microsoft may be a super mega corporation, but even they aren't perfect, and it's incredibly likely that their first week after launch is going to be marred by the same kind of outages that have plagued those games. Only, it won't just be one game that suffers for it. It will be all of the games, with players basically left with a brand new top dollar paperweight until the problems on Microsoft's end get sorted. No playing offline single player games until the situation is resolved. And this is a problem that will, most likely, crop up again and again throughout the console's lifespan.

That, right there, is a recipe for catastrophic disaster, and you would think that Microsoft would be smart enough to see it coming and avoid it. They're standing on the railroad tracks, staring down an oncoming freight train, and they're not moving. Why in blazes aren't they moving?

Until is official, I don't believe it.
I think there a fair share of people who don't have the stable connection necessary to be always online and losing that share sounds too stupid to me to believe it's true. It's not even evil, it's just plain stupid...

No, until the 720 or Durango it's official I will treat every informacion as "rumor"

The feeling I'm having right now is like that second before you hit something with your car and you know there's nothing you can do to stop it. Usually I wake up to big shitstorms but I guess I got to this one early.

I can't wait for to see how far it's taken this time. Anyone want to place bets on how long it'll be before the dust settles? Or maybe until there's a Forbes article about it?

Why do I have this feeling that XBox 720 will just be a new computer, but worse?

Guy's he's just being a big angry kitten,ignore him and move on Desu

As is quickly becoming my most common response to such an article, "f*** that guy". There are games with excellent asynchronous or persistent multiplayer aspects that are excellent online, but also HAVE an offline mode. I do not see any reason that anything other than an MMO (and no, calling a game an MMO does not automatically qualify it) should be exclusively always online. Making a CONSOLE that is always online is an extra level of stupid. Not everyone has a stable internet connection for a start.

Wow. Just wow.

Does that guy realise how much of an apocalyptic bellend he just made himself look? He just purposefully, arrogantly, and extremely rudely antagonised the very people he's trying to sell to. And he basically confirmed not just that the next xBox will be always online, but that MS thinks that if you have any problems with that you should just shut up and buy it.

The likeliness of me getting the Durango has now gone from "cautiously ambivalent" to "almost certain refusal". Well done MS.

Next thing you know, he'd be defending a $30/mo sub fee, and $100,000 cost to patch a game.
'cos if people have to subscribe to even use the console, why not raise the price, right?

Ah well, looks like I chose a brilliant time to jump the M$ ship. As for as his argument for 'things run on electricity, therefore power cuts, therefore I am justified', is completely idiotic. When my internet is on the fritz, at least I can still play offline - having to always be online to use something you paid for is frankly, appalling.

NextBox sounds more and more like Orwellian nightmare. How can anyone be that dense? They've been in hardware business long enough. They should understand that this is stupid.

Phlakes:

The feeling I'm having right now is like that second before you hit something with your car and you know there's nothing you can do to stop it. Usually I wake up to big shitstorms but I guess I got to this one early.

I can't wait for to see how far it's taken this time. Anyone want to place bets on how long it'll be before the dust settles? Or maybe until there's a Forbes article about it?

I was sort of hoping there'd be some context like this behind the remarks. I just can't imagine...okay, I can, but I don't want to imagine...that Microsoft would be so cavalier with their message after the Diablo 3 and SimCity launches.

Mr. Orth might want to remember that Twitter doesn't exactly count as a private back and forth in the future, that's a pretty big mistake for someone in his position.

If the Red-Ring didn't kill them, I highly doubt this will either. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this going forward, and what sort of impact (if any) this has on their launch.

I notice that in his original tweet he didn't mention online at all. He said that the console had to always be on. I find that helps alot- I tend to be looking at a blank screen otherwise.
Actually... from the tweets I've seen, he hasn't mentioned it being online at all. He says the internet is cool but doesn't defend always-online. I think some people are taking this out of hand.

Hey if the next Xbox has always online, at least that'll save me a lot of trouble over figuring out what console I'm going to buy

I will buy that some of his more ridiculous comments were just a stupid trolling match with a friend, but do it in a private email chain, not using a public service like twitter. Part of your job as a prominent figure at a company like Microsoft is to not be a moron in public.

Nice job. "It's ok, he was just trolling me when he said everyone should just live in the city." Whatever, that still leaves what is a rather serious question for a lot of people answered with just a flippant joke and no actual response. Unless he's actually trying to subvert the whole concept of always-on drm, it still makes his position look just as terrible whether he was trolling or being serious.

It's like if a BP executive said in a public statement "People should really vacation in the mountains instead of on the beach anyway, it's much nicer. LOL." Joke or not, you're just digging yourself into a hole.

oh, god! ... why... did... you.. post..this...?
tim..e...and s...pace....is....stret...ching...around....me!

this guy....is.... too dense!

yep, microsoft was the only company developing games that somewhat recovered from the fallout of the stock market crash but they just couldnt shut the fuck up and be happy.
no, they had to give into the peer pressure....

His opinion pretty much sums up the entire industry right now. "Why should we modify our game ?" "Because everybody/this guy is doing it". "Why should our console always be online ?" "Because everybody is doing it". Everybody jumps on the fucking bandwagon and it will only get worse.

What a classy, classy guy. I do hope this doesn't come back to bite him in the ass. I do so hope that.

So looks like I'm buying a PS4 instead

Even when you have a high-speed connection, the problem with always-online DRM is that the servers tend to get flooded easily, and the fact that the game you purchased can just be switched off from the other side at any given moment. You also can't have any downloads in the background because they might cause instability in your connection, which affects the data transmissions between the user's platform and the server.

That guy is talking out of his ass.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or