I just played Journey

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And WOW was it good. No. It wasn't good, it wasn't great, it wasn't even fantastic. "Journey" is the best video game EVER! There wasn't a single thing about it that didn't blow me away. The controls were perfect, the environments were gorgeous, and the story was brilliant in its simplicity.

It took me only two hours to beat it, but I sat and thought about the game for 30 minutes afterwards. That's just how good it is. It was fun, it was frightening, it was dramatic, it was beautiful. Like a mixture of some of the best things in video games.

I knew this game was great, but I didn't know it was THIS great. "Journey" totally blew my mind. Best $15 I've ever spent.

It is seriously one of my favorite games of all time. I'm glad you liked it.

It really was an amazing experience despite only being two or so hours long. Glad you enjoyed it.

Forlong:
"Journey" is the best video game EVER!

*Ahem*
I'm not saying you're wrong, but...

OT: Yes, Journey is a magical game. Nothing can truly match its beauty. The scenery was breath-taking, the score was godlike, and just the whole feel of the game was just, just-*splerg*

Great, now I need a tissue.

Point is, the game is awesome. One of the defining titles for the "Games are art" argument.

Hmm... must add game to collection.

Think I'll pick up the disc version soon

Forlong:
And WOW was it good. No. It wasn't good, it wasn't great, it wasn't even fantastic. "Journey" is the best video game EVER! There wasn't a single thing about it that didn't blow me away. The controls were perfect, the environments were gorgeous, and the story was brilliant in its simplicity.

It took me only two hours to beat it, but I sat and thought about the game for 30 minutes afterwards. That's just how good it is. It was fun, it was frightening, it was dramatic, it was beautiful. Like a mixture of some of the best things in video games.

I knew this game was great, but I didn't know it was THIS great. "Journey" totally blew my mind. Best $15 I've ever spent.

I felt this way after my first time. Just put down the controller from another run actually, and it is usually special (sometimes not, very rarely though and usually do with the partner). I wish you many more journeys!

I do think it's a bit of a bummer that, as a white cloak, I don't get to see many first timers or even second timers going through.

You fancy rich people with your Playstations and your anonymous multiplayer and your stylized deserts and your robes and and your feels and your expeditied shipping and your battery cars.

I'm thinking of picking up a Playstation 3 when the PS4 comes out so I can jump on the exclusives I missed, Journey included.

I own a PS3 and I haven't touched Journey yet. I'm starting to feel like a bad person.

I may try it eventually.

I love Journey. It showcases everything that can be done through video games, and look at bloody HOW. I eagerly await more games by thatgamecompany to give me a journey like this one. ;-)

FoolKiller:
Hmm... must add game to collection.

Think I'll pick up the disc version soon

The disk collection only costs 25 USD and comes with Flower and Flow, two other awesome games. So good...

Journey has been on my list for a long time, must get around to getting it,

I really want to try that game, everytime I see it I'm like man that looks awesome. But i'm not buying a PS3 just for it, so ah well.

It was a really solid experience, one of those games that made you feel with just what you were doing vs a cutscene. Theres a few games on the PS3 that did that really well, I hate to sound like the brute headed violence lover here but God of War 3 was another game that seriously made you feel like you were playing inside a work of art with those brilliant environments and the stunning designs of the characters. Not to mention the scale of the things that you were fighting,climbing on, seeing.

A lot of people write off the GoW series for being just about the violence and sure you could say that but the art is so...damn...good, and the music is just a pleasure to hear.

Goodness a positive topic on the escapist? ...Uh...uhh...Sim City sucks, yeah what a load a crap! There evened it out.

neonsword13-ops:

Forlong:

*Ahem*

OT: Yes, Journey is a magical game. Nothing can truly match its beauty. The scenery was breath-taking, the score was godlike, and just the whole feel of the game was just, just-*splerg*

Great, now I need a tissue.

Point is, the game is awesome. One of the defining titles for the "Games are art" argument.

Eh your wrong, its:

OT: I still haven't gotten to play Journey but I really need to get around to it. Hopefully it becomes free on PS+.

Sandjube:
I really want to try that game, everytime I see it I'm like man that looks awesome. But i'm not buying a PS3 just for it, so ah well.

Same here. Why the developers shot themselves in the foot and blocked off the revenue it could get by porting it to other platforms is beyond me. If they would just grow a pair and port it to PC or Xbox 360 or even the WiiU then they could make a LOT more money!

doggie015:

Sandjube:

Same here. Why the developers shot themselves in the foot and blocked off the revenue it could get by porting it to other platforms is beyond me. If they would just grow a pair and port it to PC or Xbox 360 or even the WiiU then they could make a LOT more money!

Actually, no. Sony signed a three game contract with them and helped get the studio started. Flower, Flow, and Journey are all amazing and Sony easily deserves the exclusive for handing a studio that prior was unheard of gobs of cash and exposure.

doggie015:

Sandjube:

Well they probably got a fair amount of money (or some other incentive) from Sony to keep it exclusive. But I agree, it would be nice to not have to invest a few hundred dollars on a console I'll never use just to play this game everyone is raving about.

I'd hardly say it was the best game ever (games like Spec Ops: The Line or the Walking Dead by Telltale Games hit me much harder, emotion wise) but it was definitely one of the most unique and utterly beautiful games I've played.

That last segment with the 'rise', with the music playing...holy crap. Unforgettable.

doggie015:

Sandjube:

Because Sony was the main reason that they actually have the budget to make Flower, Flow and Journey. It's the same case with Bayonetta 2 for the WiiU.

It was too short though, but the experience makes up for it. I only completed it 3 times.
There was a time where I paired with another player for most of my journey only to lose him at the end. He was a funny one too, we were exchanging back and forth with our cries and really took care of each other. Ahh good time good time.

I may have to give this one another chance, what I played of it was not that good at all.

Tried it due to all the hype about it.

Meh.

neonsword13-ops:
Kupo?

*Ahem*

I loves me some opinions! Loves me some~

OT: Journey's pretty amazing, but I had no inclination to play a second or third time. Sure, your cloak gets new embroidery and eventually turns white, but eh. I went through and found all the fun stuff. Don't really feel like doing it again.

Yeah, Journey is awesome. After I finished it I just turned my tv off and sat down for the next 20 minutes with a smile on my face while reflecting on just how damn good it was. The game just made me happy. That's the just I can describe it. It just makes my so happy.

It certainly has the most impressive ending of any other game I played.

And wouldn't you know, I went into this game right after finishing Mass Effect 3 - It was as if a warm healing spell was placed upon me.

doggie015:

Sandjube:

You really want to go down that road? Tell me, which game devs are doing badly these days? Ones that make multi-platform games. But the exclusive makers all seem to be doing quite well. Not sure why, but they are.

In order to make a game for a console, you have to make a deal with the console provider. Sony wanted to use this developer to increase the appeal of the PS3 and offered royalties for exclusives. Only an idiot would turn down a deal like that.

Its really good I thoroughly enjoyed it but I could shoot holes in it easily by saying there is little to no gameplay, there is no challenge it dosent lend itself to multiple repeat plays despite being short, it is a very short game, there is little story, no individuality among players, its extremely linear.

In short its a terrible game but it is a great experience and thats why I love it and why I play games in general.

Forlong:

I'm just gonna stand here, point at you, and laugh.

Hah.
Hah.
Haa.

neonsword13-ops:
snip

Korten12:
snip

Exius Xavarus:
snip

I think you're all forgeting somone

OT: Yes, Journey is amazing. That Game Company has a lot to live up to

Did you play it with any anonymous partners? I found that the multiplayer added a whole other dimension of awesome to an already great game.

Maximum Bert:
Its really good I thoroughly enjoyed it but I could shoot holes in it easily by saying there is little to no gameplay, there is no challenge it dosent lend itself to multiple repeat plays despite being short, it is a very short game, there is little story, no individuality among players, its extremely linear.

In short its a terrible game but it is a great experience and thats why I love it and why I play games in general.

Ouch. Well, I can understand what your saying, though I disagree.

OniaPL:

Forlong:

I'm just gonna stand here, point at you, and laugh.

Hah.
Hah.
Haa.

You on the other hand...just laughing at what I have to say instead of actually contributing something relevant to the discussion is not cool.

Goofguy:
Did you play it with any anonymous partners? I found that the multiplayer added a whole other dimension of awesome to an already great game.

I did indeed. I loved that part.

I got it release day last year, it really amazed me. It just doesn't have the lasting appeal I had hoped for, even a few weeks after I played it. Worth it to buy though.

I really do want to play it, but it's almost $30 for what I understand is a 2-3 hour game. Now Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that length is what matters with a game and I'm sure I'll like it. But it's just a bit pricey for something I know I'll play through in one sitting and probably not play again. Can anyone tell me if there's any real replay value on it?

chozo_hybrid:
I really do want to play it, but it's almost $30 for what I understand is a 2-3 hour game. Now Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that length is what matters with a game and I'm sure I'll like it. But it's just a bit pricey for something I know I'll play through in one sitting and probably not play again. Can anyone tell me if there's any real replay value on it?

It's 14.99$

Think of it this way; It's about the price of a movie ticket, lasts about as long as a movie,

But is far better, by leaps and bounds, than most movies you'll see this year.

It's also extremely unique, so you're unlikely to get the Journey experience in another game.

Innegativeion:

chozo_hybrid:

It's 14.99$

Think of it this way; It's about the price of a movie ticket, lasts about as long as a movie,

But is far better, by leaps and bounds, than most movies you'll see this year.

It's also extremely unique, so you're unlikely to get the Journey experience in another game.

It's $14.99 USD. I'm not from the US, I just turned my PS3 on to take a look and it's $24.99 for me over here in New Zealand. It costs more then a movie ticket here, I saw the Hobbit which would be as long, for less and loved it. But I think I get what you mean.

I'm sure I would like it, like I say, but I don't have much money to throw at games of late and need to get a decent amount of value from them is all. In my original post, I asked if there was any replay value at all, I'm going to guess that's a not really?

chozo_hybrid:

I'm sure I would like it, like I say, but I don't have much money to throw at games of late and need to get a decent amount of value from them is all. In my original post, I asked if there was any replay value at all, I'm going to guess that's a not really?

I've only played it once, so I can't say with any certainty. "Not really" is probably a safe guess,

although perhaps it would if you only come back to it every few months.

In the same vain as the movie comparison, actually. I'd assume about as much "replay" value as any given movie. You probably wouldn't watch it twice in a row, but if you gave it some time, you may want to see it again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked