Your favourite current publisher.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

There has been a lot of talk about EA and bad publishers and general so I thought it wold be interested at looking at some actual good publishers.

Currently my favourite would be 2k games for publishing, xcom enemy unknown, spec ops and bioshock infinte.

Atlus developed and published Etrian Odyssey. ETRIAN ODYSSEY! And, SMT as well.

Before they announced Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut for the WiiU, Square Enix was my favorite publisher. Some of my favorite games are from Eidos, and for the most part I think they did a good job reviving Eidos franchises.

So right now it would either be 2K or Bethesda Softworks. Can't decide which.

easy. without a doubt it would be matrix games/slitherine

I don't want to seem like the Devil's advocate but with 3/4 of the games I've bought from EA, they've given me a better deal than they needed to:
Mass Effect 1. They released it on PSN even though they really didn't need to, and priced it at only 7.99
Mass Effect 2. Cerberus pack was cheap and gave loads of free DLC
Mass Effect 3. Extended Cut was free (but expected to be that) however multiplayer DLC was also free.
and Battlefield 3 is the only other I've got from them in recent years, but I haven't played that too much.

But if I'm going to avoid saying that because of the hate I'll get, I'll go with Bethesda Softworks. TES, Fallout 3 and NV, Sea Dogs & Pirates of the Caribbean, and a few others. Great games, and as far as I know they don't force their devs to do stupid things or create annoyingly close release dates.

As much as I enjoy Atlus, I'm going to go with Konami. For Metal Gear!? and Zone of the Enders.

EA. EA has always been my fav publisher, and it hasn't changed now. Maybe I'm a fanboy (I wouldn't call myself that, but w/e). but whatever the reason, I'm one of the few that loves EA.

I also love Sony. Sony produces freaking INCREDIBLE games.

Chalk another one up for 2K. Sure they've done some silly publisher things (such as forcing multiplayer into Spec Ops: The Line), but at least they are willing to fund things that other publishers would definitely shy away from. Plus, from what I've learned from watching many interviews of Ken Levine, they seem willing to give complete creative control to a proven developer.

Hmm. I can't choose between 2K and Bethesda, so... CD Projekt.

Well one more 2K person, they have a lot of great games they publish Xcom, Bioshock, Civilization. Hot damn.

A close second is Sega, with the new Company of heroes, and Total Wars coming out. Heres is hoping they buy up Homeworld!

Paradox Interactive.

They sure get greedy with the DLC, but the niche games that they are supporting from that are totally woth it.

Definately Take-Two - or 2K or whatever the hell they're called - simply because I haven't played a game by them that made me feel like an accused pirate and/or just another wallet.

They seem to give their developers a lot of free reign in taking 'risky' innovative decisions while also allowing them to take as long as they need to make their games the best they can be. And you know what kind of results these practices turn out?

We get games like GTA, BioShock, Borderlands, Red Dead and XCOM. I like that.

Doom972:
Before they announced Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut for the WiiU, Square Enix was my favorite publisher. Some of my favorite games are from Eidos, and for the most part I think they did a good job reviving Eidos franchises.

OMG, they are going to make a special edition of a loved classic AND make it exclusive to the most powerful console in the market? What a crime.

I was debating on either Valve or Nintendo, but I'll say Nintendo. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Nintendo is a fantastic company because it doesn't b*llsh*t about the mistakes it makes. When Nintendo fails at something, they own up to it and try to make it up to the fans. 3DS launch library not as awesome as they thought? They give away free downloads to everyone that paid the launch price for the thing and slash the price on top of that. Oh yeah, and they get the library good within 6 months. Take notes, Sony.

The only games I while DEFINITELY pre-order are Nintendo published. Sure, I consider SquareEnix, 2K, and Atlus games for pre-order, but no matter how much I trust them, it is always a risk. Not so much with Nintendo. With other publishers, when they cheat me, they just say "whoopsies" and run off with the money I paid them. Nintendo actually feels bad when they cheat people and tries to make it up to them. They certainly don't have to, but they do anyway. Honesty is the best policy.

Atlus is pretty sweet too. They are a close second to Nintendo in terms of customer service. Persona 4 The Golden is all the evidence you need that Atlus values their customers. They listened to every single complaint about Persona 4 and did their best to fix all issues.

I love Valve because it's frickin' VALVE!

Entitled:
Paradox Interactive.

They sure get greedy with the DLC, but the niche games that they are supporting from that are totally woth it.

+1 for Paradox. At least they are willing to take a chance on a game that's not a clone of the flavor of the month. I think around 50% of my total game time clocked in Steam is on Paradox games.

Special mentions for Bethesda/Zenimax for building worlds to get lost in, and CD Projekt for showing that games can be profitable without putting shitty bits of DRM on them.

EA is one of my favorites because more often then not they publish games that I love.

Atlus is also pretty good.

THQ was one of, if not, my favorite publisher.

Forlong:

Doom972:

OMG, they are going to make a special edition of a loved classic AND make it exclusive to the most powerful console in the market? What a crime.

They fixed almost everything that was bad about that game (not that much bad about it, but it's there), improved on it, and then made it exclusive to a console that 90% of the fans won't buy. It's not a crime (since it's legal), but it's a dick move. The most powerful console? Yes, a bit more powerful than the other two is technically the most powerful. Talk to me in a few months when the PS4 comes out, and we'll see how that excuse hold.

Nintendo!

Sure, they make some games for casuals and non-gamers like Wii fit, but every Zelda and Mario comes out perfect.

Atlus I guess. Maybe NIS, but I'm mostly just nostalgic for them during the PS2 era.

Paradox, followed by 2k and CD Project.
They publish risky games and for the most part aren't douchey in their business practices.

CD Projekt.

Simply because they run gog.com, and every game they HAVE released (admittedly not many) actually put their money where their mouth is: No DRM.

Either Take-Two (2k) or Bethesda at this point.

CD Projekt is a close runner up.

This is a tough one. When thinking about the question, I thought of which publisher put out most of my games or favorite games. The unfortunate conclusion was EA. "But wait!" I said "That's just it! They publish the games, it's the devs who deserve the credit! I fucking hate EA!YAY!"
From this conclusion I proceeded to think that and publisher that has ever published a game developed by a (formerly) separate group/company/etc. forfeits it's right to be judged based on the games it publishes, and, therefore, must be judged strictly from a business standpoint.
So, which publisher has the best business practices in my opinion? CD Projekt, of course. "But wait!" I say again "They actually did develop their games, but those alone aren't enough to make it my favorite!". So, should I judge by taking both factors into consideration? But then that cuts out a bunch of publishers altogether.
Ha-HA! not easy, is it now?
"I'm overthinking this, aren't I? Should I just go with what my (blaaaaaaaarg) heart tells me?"
Bullshit. Naming your one "favorite" of something is a flawed concept in it self
"But I do indeed have one "favorite" game, don't I? Stop being a Hypocrite."
Very well. Should I just choose the publisher that published that?
"Hell no, I hate that publisher due to it's own shady business practices!"
Well,fuck. Back to square one.

Can I just, you know, not have one?

CD Projekt. They actually understand and care about their consumers. And their anti-DRM. It's nice to just install and play a game without having to do a billion steps to start a game (looking at you Ubisoft) or crack it (it's legal!). GOG is pretty much the greatest digital distribution platform ever made. Steam is too iffy for me.

And to think, I don't even like their games very much:-P

Doom972:

Forlong:

Doom972:

They fixed almost everything that was bad about that game (not that much bad about it, but it's there), improved on it, and then made it exclusive to a console that 90% of the fans won't buy. It's not a crime (since it's legal), but it's a dick move. The most powerful console? Yes, a bit more powerful than the other two is technically the most powerful. Talk to me in a few months when the PS4 comes out, and we'll see how that excuse hold.

There is nothing in that post that made any sense. You claim that only 10% of fans will buy the WiiU, based on absolutely nothing. You're also assuming the absurd notion that people won't buy the WiiU because of this game. Sure has me interested. Have you asked fans of the game if this drew their attention to the WiiU? Or are you assuming that they all share your irrational hatred for Nintendo?

Also, if you have problems with Nintendo, I wonder how you feel about Microsoft and Sony. Neither of them seemed to think getting this game was crucial. Only Nintendo was interested, it seems. So you're angry about Nintendo wanting YOU to get the chance to play an upgraded version of a game you loved.

Is it cold down there in the curb?

Forlong:

Doom972:

Forlong:

There is nothing in that post that made any sense. You claim that only 10% of fans will buy the WiiU, based on absolutely nothing. You're also assuming the absurd notion that people won't buy the WiiU because of this game. Sure has me interested. Have you asked fans of the game if this drew their attention to the WiiU? Or are you assuming that they all share your irrational hatred for Nintendo?

Also, if you have problems with Nintendo, I wonder how you feel about Microsoft and Sony. Neither of them seemed to think getting this game was crucial. Only Nintendo was interested, it seems. So you're angry about Nintendo wanting YOU to get the chance to play an upgraded version of a game you loved.

Is it cold down there in the curb?

Again, not 9GAG.

90% is a rough estimate. Being a long-time Deus Ex fans, I think know the fanbase well enough to make an estimate. Could be somewhere between 84%-96%, but I think that the message is clear.

I didn't say that people wouldn't buy the WiiU because of the game, I said that people won't get a WiiU just so that they can play the game. People buy Nintendo consoles to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other Nintendo-exclusive franchises - in addition to third-party games of course, but especially for the Nintendo-exclusive titles.

I like Nintendo. I still play games on my old NES, Gameboy Color and Gameboy advance. They still make good games, but not for my taste, which has changed over the years. You assume that this is about the WiiU, but I would be just as upset if it was exclusive to any other console (I use a PC myself).

I didn't get the part of "Neither of them seemed to think getting this game was crucial". The original game is available for the PC, X-box 360 and PS3 as well.
The relevant additions in that version is something that could be added in a patch, but the publisher/developer chose to give this update to one version that the majority of fans won't play - because the fans already have the game on other platforms, and aren't likely to get a WiiU for reasons that I already stated.

Bethesda has Fallout and I play it so out of the big publishers Bethesda.

However, I`ve payed over $100 each for two games that haven`t been published yet by InXile so they might be my favorite even though I haven`t ever played any of thier games yet.

I'll go with Namco Bandai, because they published a couple of good games recently, such as Dark Souls.
Other than that though, I don't really have a loyalty to any publisher because they all balls up eventually.

Doom972:

So right now it would either be 2K or Bethesda Softworks. Can't decide which.

Holy crap, I just looked that up after your post. I am actually conflicted. I'm glad they're tweaking the game to make it the best version for the platform, rather than a lazy port.

OTOH, I played it on PC and got a lazy port. I want that version of the game FFS. But I want to play it on PC. :-\

On-topic, who the hell has a favourite "publisher"? Seriously? That's like asking if I prefer Universal Music or Sony BMG? Or New Line films over MGM? Tor books or Orbit? Who the hell judges games based on the publisher (they're just money making corporations who don't actually produce a thing) and not the developer? (EA is obviously an exception here, but not a good exception.).

I'll say CD Project or Bethesda as being the best developers. I won't answer the original question because it's f*****g stupid. Who's my favourite venture capitalist, faceless corporation of shareholders?

Forlong:

Doom972:

My PC is stronger and I want to know why the hell the new game + and the boss fights are not being patched in.

Still Square has revitalized a bunch of IP's I thought were gone for ever and I love them for it, I also liked Final Fantasy 4 through 9. Paradox is probably the best though. Must never forget how Valve actually brought us into the future of digital downloads and joy however, not to mention it invests in modders and growing developers quite a lot.

Forlong:
Have you asked fans of the game if this drew their attention to the WiiU?

I'm not going to buy that because of one game, much less to play without a mouse. Deus Ex was born in the PC by the way, most fans I know have actually played the prequel in it as well.

mbarker:
However, I`ve payed over $100 each for two games that haven`t been published yet by InXile so they might be my favorite even though I haven`t ever played any of thier games yet.

Technically you've played some of their games(I'm guessing of course.) many many of those people were involved in old CRPG development.

Doom972:
90% is a rough estimate. Being a long-time Deus Ex fans, I think know the fanbase well enough to make an estimate. Could be somewhere between 84%-96%, but I think that the message is clear.

I didn't say that people wouldn't buy the WiiU because of the game, I said that people won't get a WiiU just so that they can play the game. People buy Nintendo consoles to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other Nintendo-exclusive franchises - in addition to third-party games of course, but especially for the Nintendo-exclusive titles.

I like Nintendo. I still play games on my old NES, Gameboy Color and Gameboy advance. They still make good games, but not for my taste, which has changed over the years. You assume that this is about the WiiU, but I would be just as upset if it was exclusive to any other console (I use a PC myself).

I didn't get the part of "Neither of them seemed to think getting this game was crucial". The original game is available for the PC, X-box 360 and PS3 as well.
The relevant additions in that version is something that could be added in a patch, but the publisher/developer chose to give this update to one version that the majority of fans won't play - because the fans already have the game on other platforms, and aren't likely to get a WiiU for reasons that I already stated.

Once again, cool story. Based on nothing but conjecture. Will any fans of Deus Ex examine the WiiU library to see if any other games are worth it? Why would they do that? Will they find that ZombiU, Wind Waker, and Pikmin are games they might actually enjoy? Well, that's just silly.

Nintendo got this title to try to gain fans that often ignore them. Fans that might actually enjoy the games Nintendo makes. Its exclusive because Sony and Microsoft apparently don't care. That should clear things up for you.

Auron:
My PC is stronger and I want to know why the hell the new game + and the boss fights are not being patched in.

Of course it is. That's why I said "console".

I'm not going to buy that because of one game, much less to play without a mouse. Deus Ex was born in the PC by the way, most fans I know have actually played the prequel in it as well.

Yes, and we all know that console ports of upgraded PC games never sell well. Remember the Orange Box? What a disaster.
Sales for Xbox 360: 1.71 million
Sales for PS3: 0.97 million
Sales for PC: 0.1 million

Yeah, they should never release those for consoles. What a mistake that was.

/sarcastic curbstomp

Rockstar. I've played their games the most and I?m kind of endeared towards them. Capcom, Konami and Squeenix would've been valid answers as well for the PS2 gen.

Forlong:

Doom972:

Once again, cool story. Based on nothing but conjecture. Will any fans of Deus Ex examine the WiiU library to see if any other games are worth it? Why would they do that? Will they find that ZombiU, Wind Waker, and Pikmin are games they might actually enjoy? Well, that's just silly.

Nintendo got this title to try to gain fans that often ignore them. Fans that might actually enjoy the games Nintendo makes. Its exclusive because Sony and Microsoft apparently don't care. That should clear things up for you.

It's very clear. And it's also clear that it's a dick move against the fanbase of DXHR. If you think that this will get Many Deus Ex fans to buy the WiiU and the game that they already bought before, you are clearly very new to gaming culture.

Nintendo. Because this year, they're releasing their next Mario Platformer! Plus, Luigi's Mansion 2 is awesome, and I'm looking forward to Pikmin 3, Mario Kart U, Yarn Yoshi, and the Wonderful 101.

Forlong:
snip

I don't think you understand their stance. This new addition screws over the fans who was "dumb enough" to buy the game early and makes what is inherently a patch to fix the crappy boss fights exclusive to one console. A dumb move if I have ever seen one. Even EA wouldn't do that.

Oh BTW your comparison of Orange Box sales is moot since this being a Valve game, it was already preordered by PC gamers through steam which doesn't show up in the retail count. Now where is my "schooled" gif.

2K seem to be the AAA publisher that's publishing the actually interesting titles in western development; they're like a slightly-more-competent Ubisoft.

They still encourage things that are annoying about the higher-budget AAA market (i.e. crummy DLC, looking at you XCOM); but it's nice to see the stuff getting out there. Or maybe I'm giving them a free pass because they publish Firaxis games and Bioshock. Hmm.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked