Origin Survey - Would you recommend it to a friend?
I clicked 0 (never) because like duh!
56.8% (130)
56.8% (130)
I clicked 2-5 (maybe) because it has its limited uses.
16.2% (37)
16.2% (37)
I clicked 5-9 (very likey) because momma told me life is like a box of chocolates!
4.4% (10)
4.4% (10)
I clicked 10 (omg yes) I'm either CEO of EA or retarded fanboi who sniffs glue.
22.7% (52)
22.7% (52)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Origin Survey - Would you recommend it to a friend?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yup I booted up origin (I play Battlefield 3 and I have too =/) and this little window popped up asking me how likely was I to tell a friend to install Origin, since I don't see this ending well after the SimCity affair I just want to know what did you do/would do?

I voted 10 purely to spite your dumb poll options.

Zhukov:

Same here.

Well that and the fact every time I've used Origin it really hasn't done anything to annoy me. And that EA doesn't annoy me as much as it seems to for everyone else.

Ya I frequently recommend malware DRM to my friends, right after AIDS, syphilis, herpes and jumping head first down some stairs.
But then again I am quite the considerate person, many people just aren't that kind hearted.

No, I'd recommend my friend play their EA games on a different computer platform -.-
It's a kinda stupid question, since as far as I'm aware you have to. It's like asking me if I'd recommend eating food to my friend- I think they probably need to do that anyway.

Eh.
If someone asked "Should I play Mass Effect 3?" or something I'd say "Yeah but remember to get Origin."

But I wouldn't go "BRAH YOU TOTALLY GOTTA GET ORIGIN IT'S CRAZY BRAH THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT YO"
Captcha: vote pancakes.
Vote pancakes indeed, captcha.

Zhukov:

Indeed.
Though I'd be more likely to direct them to a non-DRM distributor such as GOG.

Zhukov:

Welcome to the 58.3% club!

I voted the 2-5 (By the way, wheres the 1?) as all its good for is EA exclusives, so if someone wanted to play an EA game on the PC I would recommend it as there is no other choice.

Seems like most of the really serious issues have been patched out by now, but even at launch, when it'd completely freeze up my system for 20 seconds while it booted up, I still lived with it.

Couldn't play BF3 without it, so what was I gonna do?

But recommend it? No way in hell would I ever do that. It's forced upon me, and I'd rather be without it, which makes it very different from how I feel about Steam, GameFly and Desura.

As a downloader: Possibly. Some people on the internet say its faster than Steam, but this is the word of people I've never met and probably live in the US right next to the Origin servers.

As a Online Store: NO. It's cheaper to go down to a brick & mortar store for everything on Origin, even older titles.

As a service in general: It's run by EA who just trotted out the 'you don't like us cuz you hate teh gays!' as an excuse as to why they are in the running to win 2013 online poll for 'Worst Company in America' instead of admitting SimCity was a steaming pile of retarded AI, DRM, and server issues amongst other things.

So no, I wouldn't recommend it.

I will recommend others to pick ten on your poll as it is bad taste to insult people who choose certain potions in polls.

Having a bacon option however is acceptable.

0, I'd give the same score to Steam as well. I'd never recommend DRM to anyone. Though I never used Origin and refuse to do so. If I can't stand Steam which is support to be the best thing ever how could I stand it's gimpy little brother?

Voted ten because of your obvious bias.

Seriously, this is utterly ridiculous. EA might not be a good company but dear god they haven't killed babies, everyone needs to take a step off the EA hate bandwagon.

I would be more than glad to stop hating EA... as soon as they do something to warrant such treatment. So far it has been exclusively rage inducing.

So far Origin has benefited me without giving me any hassle. It doesn't seem to do much visible loading before a game starts (it#s silly but that always annoyed me about Steam, because it was an extra second or two to do something I had no wish of doing and was only doing for DRM purposes), it's offline functionality has been a little nicer to me than Steam (steam needs a one time check or something and there were a couple of times I couldn't play a game on steam because I had no internet) and I was able to play the families hard disk copy of the sims on multiple PCs thanks to Origin.

I mean it's not wonderful, apart from the sims thing (and being able to play Mass Effect in german if i so choose) it hasn't given me any features. But I've also never encountered anything with Origin that annoyed me ever

EDIT:Oh man, I just read your text options. Would totally have voted ten if I'd noticed that before. The great thing is, I don't even need to insult anyone because everyone with a functioning brain would read that and completely write off the person who created the poll anyway

I currently cannot get into Origin (forgot password), no password reset e-mails arrive and this is not the first time it happened. I'm currently breathing hate and discontent at EA's useless customer support, but all emotions aside, I have never ever though that there is anything good, useful or beneficial in Origin. Had it not been imposed on customers with BF3 and other games, probably nobody would use it. There is not a single feature there that would make Origin better than Steam.

I voted 0. All of my friends have Steam, why should they burden their computers with another client when they already have the better one?

Recommend Origin? How stupid.

It's nothing more than a necessary evil to play certain games. Frankly I'd recommend people to buy the game, and then find an Origin free version.

0, cos i never used that piece of crap

I'd vote 0, because I abandoned PC gaming long ago.

KaZuYa:
Yup I booted up origin (I play Battlefield 3 and I have too =/) and this little window popped up asking me how likely was I to tell a friend to install Origin, since I don't see this ending well after the SimCity affair I just want to know what did you do/would do?

First, read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_the_well

Then read your questions.

Then read some of the posts, for example Zhukov's.

Then ask yourself if your questions really had to be phrased like that.

Voted 10 to spite you.
I don't recommend one form of DRM over another. I might recommend or dissuade people from buying certain games, but I'm not insane enough to be at the point where I'm shilling for a DRM.

Of course I would not recommend Origin to somebody but only because its just a platform. I will gladly recommend games that require Origin though provided that they are good.

Zhukov:

I subscribe to this as well. Asinine poll.

Also Origin isn't nearly as bad as people try to make it out to be. I can cope with it just as well as I can cope with Steam.

Recommend it? No. It's a terrible piece of software that holds a couple of games I want to play to ransom. Even the store is terrible, it's hard to navigate if you're looking for something specific and if you just want to browse and discover something new, it basically goes out of its way to stop you doing that.

I voted 10 to spite the insultingly biased poll options. I've honestly never used it but if someone seriously liked using it and was to vote 10, you are basically calling them retarded. Since when is this much jackassery allowed to be put into polls?

I recommend it only if you have nostalgia for the early 00's and want to re-experience how long it took to install games back then.

Eh no. I would not recommend that to anybody. But just because there is nothing worthwile on it...

Let me rephrase that: There is nothing of interest that requires Origin for me.

Voted 10 because I am EA CEO. Don't believe me? Just look!

Would i recommend origin? no?

Would i recommend some games however? Yes.

As much as we hate it, that might take origin.

I actually like Origin. You know why? Because it has games I want. Games no one else has. Show me where I can get FIFA on my PC anywhere else. Steam doesn't have it. By having their own digital distribution platform, it is a statement that EA is dedicated to PC gaming. As we see more and more games become console exclusive, or released to PC a month or a year later like an afterthought, EA's outright stating "The PC is a vital part of our focus". Would I go out of my way to buy a game on Origin instead of Steam? No. But I've gotten more than a few games through Origin for cheaper than Steam was asking at the time (contrary to popular belief, Origin does have sales), and a handful of completely free titles too. So, on the overall, I am quite satisfied with Origin, and happy to see it continue. And at the end of the day, it is because I appreciate that EA isn't turning its back on PC gamers like some other publishers have done.

Personally, I don't understand why Origin is so loathed. I've used it for a couple games, and never once did it get in the way of the gaming. When I'm not using it, all it does is sit quietly in the back of my hard drive, waiting for another Mass Effect to be released.
In this respect (but no other, mind you) it surpasses Steam. I have to switch off the social service of Steam to avoid being bombarded by chat notifications, when all I want to do is push carts or prevent said pushing.

Beyond that, Origin is "an game service", completely ordinary and adequate in it's delivery. It's never struck me as some sort of hyper-digital hellbeast bent on rending my dreams asunder. It'll never beat Steam for me, but it's an alternative.

Well, it starts up quickly and isn't very intrusive as far as system resources are concerned, but for me its basically another screen to get through before getting to BF3. Basically everything on it is cheaper in the store, and given my connection speed, it may well be faster to order the hard copy off Amazon. I wouldn't dis-recommend it, but thats about it.

KaZuYa:

RedDeadFred:
I voted 10 to spite the insultingly biased poll options. I've honestly never used it but if someone seriously liked using it and was to vote 10, you are basically calling them retarded. Since when is this much jackassery allowed to be put into polls?

Why would you like using Origin?

Every single game EA sells on there is vastly overpriced also the fact EA tried to link games such as SW:TOR to origin forcing players to use their origin login to log into SW:TOR which has recently been changed because it was the worlds most retarded idea since if they hacked you're SW:TOR or Origin account they would have access to both. I bought BattleField 3 and Mass Effect 3 elsewhere saving a total of 30.00.

Origin is EA's greedy attempt to grab more money by forcing game exculsives and charging inflated prices.

Option 1 is there for people who won't touch it with a barge pole and option 2 is there for people like me who are forced into using it by EA. Anyone who does actually like using it would have to be retarded or at least brain damaged and this poll was rhetorical because I was amazed EA would put a survey up like that after what they did with SimCity but troll's gotta troll I guess.

Nice to know this is a fair, unbiased discussion.

I've been using Origin pretty much since it launched, and I don't have a lot games on it, but there hasn't really been anything that's bothered me. I guess I must be retarded. That sure is a shame.

EDIT: And you can put me down for another 10 in spite. In fact, I think I might just recommend Origin to some of my friends when I get the chance. Not that you should worry, I'm only doing it because I'm retarded.

So, origin still collecting info every time you use a browser, play a game(non EA), or anything you do on a PC that's not relevant to EA, which sends that info back to EA?

Origin is malware. I don't install maleware on my PC.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here