70.7% (198)
70.7% (198)
No
29.3% (82)
29.3% (82)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you like Nintendo?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

There's a lot of back-and-forth on the internet about Nintendo. Praised for its first party games, maligned for its motion controls, there's plenty to argue about. But, when you get right down to it, do you like Nintendo as a whole? Taking into account everything they've done, is Nintendo a company that you like and want to see succeed? Please justify your answer in the comments.

If you're going to make multiple "Do you like [Item]" threads, at least make more options - middle ground needed.

Zeh Don:
If you're going to make multiple "Do you like [Item]" threads, at least make more options - middle ground needed.

No middle ground. You like them or you don't. You may like them a lot, or you may like them a little, but it all falls into two categories. Much neater that way.

I like them, in spite of their stupid decisions with the Wii and the WiiU. I'm just a sucker for the Nintendo brand and I love their first party games. Having said that, I haven't owned a nintendo console since the N64, and I'm probably not going to own any new nintendo console until they cut out the bullshit.

Utterly indifferent.

I don't actively dislike them and they don't really seem to engage in unpleasantness . On the other hand, I have absolutely no interest in their products.

To me, they're just "That one big old company that exists to churn out a few major franchises."

Meh. They haven't done anything to rustle my jimmies, and they haven't amazed me.

I do enjoy the occasional Mario Kart party at my friends house, though.

Matthew Jabour:

Zeh Don:

No middle ground. You like them or you don't. You may like them a lot, or you may like them a little, but it all falls into two categories. Much neater that way.

I like some of their stuff.
I hate some of their stuff.

There is plenty of middle ground.

Eh. Not really. They were unstoppable when they had Rare, but since those glory days of the N64 I haven't found enough reason to buy any later Nintendo console. Rogue Squadron 2 and Mario Galaxy nearly persuaded me, but I need a teeny bit more than that.

I played on the WiiU and it was fun, even though it had some issues. Nothing wrong with Nintendo.

Not really, i'm indifferent so i do not like them category, i don't really like their first party games there is nice 3rd party games on Nintendo non-handheld systems but only a few. Their handhelds are nice i even got 3DS for Fire Emblem: Awakening (it was well cheap from my friend that don't play it anymore)

Yes, they make really good first party games (less so now but they're still around, and hopefully coming), and I still think they make the best handhelds.

Although they have made some pretty poor market decisions of late I must admit, I think the WiiU was a complete mistake, it should have launched back around 2010 when Microsoft and Sony were only just unveiling there motion control gimmicks to try to move in on the Wii audience. If at all. That being said I still hope it succeeds because you know... I love me some games haha.

Matthew Jabour:

Zeh Don:

What about "I used to like them"?

I like the no-nonsense poll. Pushes away all the fluff and makes people actually think before responding. Kudos to OP on that.

Personally, yes I like them. Admittedly a large portion of that is nostalgia, but they are freaking experts in so many of the crucial little things that many other devs don't give a shit about - most notably loading time and camera control.

Being "privileged" of growing up on Nintendo I'm probably more aware of this than people that grew up with the Playstation or PC, but these things a frustratingly noticeable whenever I'm playing a non-Nintendo game. I can't stand waiting through some unskippable end of level score sheet or cinematic, and then having to wait even more for the next level to load. Knowing exactly what was going to come next Nintendo would have begun loading up the next level while that end of level stuff was going on, so that by the time it's finished you're ready to jump right back into the game. Take a game like Metroid Prime where a "loading" screen between rooms would have killed the flow - that game actually predicted which room you'd go to next and pre-loaded it before you even opened the door (there was still loading delays if you were moving fast or "tricked" the system into loading a room you weren't going to, but it was acceptable). And let's not forget 'load -> briefing screen -> load -> cinematic -> load -> FINALLY the game!'

Regarding camera control (and this could be down to preference) I've found a lot of developers just go "Here's a second thumbstick - bam. Camera done". I find this so clunky and annoying (even now going back to Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie it's a little annoying), like the game has no idea where the player should be focusing - what's important in the scene. I hate trying to fight a monster that's mostly off screen if I don't manually adjust the camera. It's like "C'mon game, you can't figure out I'd like to SEE the thing I'm attacking?". Like I said, this could be preferential and if someone's been accustomed to this for years it's likely second nature to them, but personally I really struggle having to harness a lazy camera in addition to everything else I'm doing. I only have two thumbs after all. Again, I've found Nintendo tends to handle this far better than most devs out there.

In short, Nintendo games tend to have a degree of polish you don't see as frequently elsewhere.

Now, this isn't to say they're without fault - they routinely pull the same "We'll totally have a steady stream of games after launch, not like the Gamecube/DS/Wii!" followed by a post-launch drought and Iwata saying "Please forgive us. We have learned a valuable lesson from the launch of [insert latest repeated failure here]", and when their Wii U Mario title was yet another "New" Super Mario Bros. game I couldn't get excited at all. It's been done to death - move on to another idea like you did with Galaxy. Skyward Sword also sucked dick. In the age of the internet with FAQs and walkthroughs at our fingertips the one thing we DON'T need more of is mandatory in-game hand-holding. Seriously Fi, just fuck off for a bit. I KNOW my health is low.

First party Nintendo games have a degree of polish you just don't get elsewhere. They also win the handheld market completely to me (because well; pokémon, fire emblem, the good mario games...).

I don't own a WIIu and I wont until the library is worthwhile, that mistake was made with the Wii.

Zhukov:
Utterly indifferent.

I don't actively dislike them and they don't really seem to engage in unpleasantness . On the other hand, I have absolutely no interest in their products.

To me, they're just "That one big old company that exists to churn out a few major franchises."

Agreed.

They've done so much 'meh' lately, that I don't really care one way or the other.

Remember when Nintendo used to make games?

Me neither.

I really like Nintendo. There are a handful of things they've done that I strongly dislike such as Skyward Sword and, not trying to revive Teleroboxer (no I will NOT drop this, Teleroboxer is fucking awesome and needs to come back). I bought my Wii U on day one and when I got my Gamecube a few years ago I felt like a jerk for not adopting one sooner. I kinda feel like a jerk for note playing more of the Nintendo Handheld games but really, you could rename "Pokemon" into "Black Tar Heroin" and that would still be accurate when it comes to how addictive that franchise is.

I was too young to really appreciate the NES back when it saved gaming but I did get to spend plenty of childhood hours with my beloved Super Nintendo and eventually the Nintendo 64 (which I don't like quite as much now that I'm older...I blame that generation in general). I've since grabbed a top-loading NES and have really dug into some of those older classics and damn, do some of those games kick your ass! I understand why people hate Zelda 2 but once you beat it it feels like a true life achievement (same with Predator, seriously look up some youtube or screwattack videos about Predator on the NES).

The big problem with modern Nintendo though is the 3rd party support. The Wii U may have shipped with a tablet but the secondary controller, Wii U Pro Controller, is basically a 360 controller clone so 3rd party developers should have (and seem to be having) less issues developing for the U. The U's launch lineup is evidence that they're really trying to remedy their 3rd party issues (Need for Speed, Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, Deus Ex) so once the Wii U games drought is well and truly over the U should start selling better. Also, since the U plays Wii games, I get to catch up on the games I initially missed out on like Sonic Colors and, No More Heroes!

I recently bought a Vita and a 3DS. I use the Vita for PS1 games. On the 3DS front I have Sticker Star, LM Dark Moon, AC: New Leaf, Pokemon X, Virtual console, and a few others I'm prolly forgetting. Yes, I like Nintendo.
Not to mention they consistently make good games.

Used to love them, Wii made me disappointed with them, and now I don't know what to think. They just don't do it for me anymore unfortunately. In fact, I still don't trust them at all, but I will always appreciate the old titles. So I'm not answering your poll till I see what they do with their future titles.

I certainly don't hate them, and not many of their business practices bother me that much.
They just don't make a lot of games I want to play.

I like them. More so now, than when the Wii was released. And I agree, they make fantastic handhelds.

Most of my favourite games ever are Gamecube games, SSBM, Starfox: Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker among others, but my interest has wavered since the Wii truthfully.

I do not care for them seeing as they refuse to develop for other systems besides their own. I would absolutely love to play some of their games, but cannot pay for my own console.

I am really, really indifferent about them. In my eyes, Nintendo exists in its own bubble, far away from me. However, I think that's among all kinds of fanboys, Nintendo fanboys are the most annoying. That's it.

Gold:

Matthew Jabour:

Zeh Don:

I like some of their stuff.
I hate some of their stuff.

There is plenty of middle ground.

But I want to know whether you like them or not. Eventually, you can boil it down to like or dislike, and that is what this poll means to gauge.

I loved my N64 as a kid, but haven't really cared about anything they've made in years.

Yeah I do, not everything needs to be gritty and dark. I loved Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I just bought Luigi's Mansion 2.
My 3DS is also a gift atm as I can play lying in bed when I'm ill.

Can't wait for Animal Crossing New Leaf.

The wii annoyed me as the amount of time I play the motion controls hurt my wrist. :( It would have been nice to have the option not to use them and use a classic controller.

I like Nintendo but have no real interest in the Wii, u or not.

Me? I Love em, I love the DS, love the 3DS even more, the Wii was fine (but was a blast for parties) and man, their games and game developers under their belt are just fantastic! I love Pokemon, I recently became a Fire Emblem fan, I adore Kirby, I love to play Animal Crossing, I like playing any new Mario and Zelda games, so yeah, nothing wrong here!

I plan to get a Wii-U as soon as a few more worthwhile titles come out, hell, if they make a limited edition Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem Wii-U, that thing is mine!

I am surprised at how many voted yes here...

I like them quite a bit. They have some great first party titles, I like the DS and the 3DS, the 3DS is actually my primary gaming platform followed by PC, PS3 and Wii U.

The Wii U is a console that is great fun when you have a few friends over and play Nintendo Land, with some more games I see this console having potential, but they really need to step up their game if they want to make it.

The 3DS got a lot of great games now and I love it.

Like I said in the "Do you like Sony" thread, I like Nintendo but I don't really care much about them as a company per se. I love their games, don't care much for their systems as they are always a gen behind now and usually focused on what I feel are gimmicks (bad 3D for the 3DS, Motion only controls for the Wii, Tablets for Wii U).

So yes I "like" Nintendo, but I'm not going to worship them as a company. Anyone that does that needs help.

I don't get why everyone seems to love Nintendo more than their firstborn child. They milk their franchises to death with shitty games...cough...Sonic, and moved to gimicky motion controls and 3D handhelds. This is not the Nintendo of old, and it seems like some people are just blinded by nostalgia over a company that has been deteriorating for years. I'm frustrated whenever I see re-releases and HD remakes from them, whatever happened to new IP, or at least IP that's not 20 years old.

I like many of Nintendo's IP. I'm not a fan of the company, especially their North American contingent.

I did not vote in the poll because of this dichotomy. It's equal parts "Absolutely!" and "Christ, no!"

Yes.

I was mainly a Nintendo gamer for many years. From the NES all the way to the Wii, I have every core system(didn't have any of their side projects like the failed Virtual Boy); I still have the old grey brick Gameboy(still works too), two Gameboy colors, an first gen Gameboy Advance, and a DS Lite.

The only reason I moved a bit away form Nintendo is that all my friends got Xbox 360's not long after I bought my Wii. For a year, during game-nights I would have to split-screen when they played games like Halo, and finally I just got tired of having to do that, so in early 2009, finally used some Christmas money I saved and bought a 360. Since that is what my friends had, I concentrated on getting games for it.

Considering all the controversy surrounding the "Next-Box", it's looking like I'll be getting a Wii U when I get the money. It really all comes down to money, because if I had the money to spare, I would get every console and have a top of the line gaming PC.

Really, I consider myself just a gamer, not console gamer, not a handheld gamer, not a PC gamer, just a gamer because I do all of those.

I don't know, maybe I am some kind of super gamer.

Also, I'm most likely to also be getting a Retron 5 when it comes out. I already have a Retron 3 and love it, but the Retron 5 has enough new features that it will be worth getting.

Splitzi:
I don't get why everyone seems to love Nintendo more than their firstborn child. They milk their franchises to death with shitty games...cough...Sonic, and moved to gimicky motion controls and 3D handhelds. This is not the Nintendo of old, and it seems like some people are just blinded by nostalgia over a company that has been deteriorating for years. I'm frustrated whenever I see re-releases and HD remakes from them, whatever happened to new IP, or at least IP that's not 20 years old.

Not saying that you don't have some good points, but Sonic doesn't belong to Nintendo. Sonic belongs to Sega and they are the ones that have not been kind on him in terms of quality games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked