70.7% (198)
70.7% (198)
No
29.3% (82)
29.3% (82)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you like Nintendo?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I don't hate Nintendo but I'd never consider buying one of their consoles and there IPs are focused exactly away from my interests and feel stale to me

The poll needs a indifferent option, I neither like or dislike Nintendo. They pass under my radar so to speak as I am not part of the demographic which they are targeting.

I like them, though I haven't played on a Nintendo system since the days of SNES.

I will always appreciate the fact that Nintendo revived the home console and I have enjoyed the consoles & handhelds I bought from them. Now a days, I don't expect much out of Nin and that's probably why I like them. Also they make well built products that don't cost a lot and their fans really like their games. I'm probably not going to buy a WiiU because I don't think it's going to have those games that I really want to play.

Nadia Gezichtboek:
I love their handhelds.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

All of the big new releases for the 3DS have been damn good and, mostly, sold very well. Sure, their console front has seen better times but they have practically dominated the handheld market since the Gameboy.

Not sure why people are so spiteful of Nintendo. Nintendo really hasn't gone out of its way to hurt anybody and they perform decently well for a company that spreads its attention to multiple demographics rather than trying to please the insane "hardcore" crowd.

And I know why they constantly re-releae Mario. Its for the children. Yes, there are babies being born right now that will have a Mario-game waiting for them by the time they are ready to pick up a controller. Thus, more kids will grow up knowing about the simple-pleasure of jumping up and down on turtles, which only further cements Nintendo's undying nature. It's a pretty smart system.

Nintendo made motion gaming trendy. I hate them plenty just for that.

I used to play games almost only on their consoles and I got everything they put out(Super Mario Galaxy and SMB3 are my favorite games ever), but nowadays Nintendo's games feel old and stale for some reason, the Wii U didn't really grab my interest either; felt like an upscaled DS. Then again, aside from the cult fan base-y stuff like F-Zero & Advance Wars I was never really interested in their stuff that wasn't Mario or Pokemon.

Their handheld stuff is great though.

Let me put it this way, in my youth I would have been willing to marry Nintendo. By now we would be divorced. There is simply no love there anymore.
To further the analogy I would say it's like watching a loved one have a drug problem. No matter how much you want to love them you just can't while they're making these horrible life decisions and not even looking for help.

I love my 3DS and, between Fire Emblem, Zelda and Metroid, I can definitely say I'm a big fan of their games.

I doubt I'll bother picking up a Wii U until it's both cheap and has a new Zelda and 3D Mario but I generally have positive feelings towards Nintendo.

I like their games, but they've made a lot of bad business decisions. That being said, ever since the 3DS launch flop, they really have been trying to get their shit together, and they've been successful for the most part. There's still a lot of work to go, but Nintendo is probably one of a small handful of companies who will get better in a couple years. Everyone jokes that Nintendo is a few years behind everyone else, but considering how the rest of the industry has "evolved" (imagine me using the bigges air quotes humanly possible and speaking in the most sarcastic voice ever) over the course of the generation, I kinda hope they stay in 2006...

So not perfect, but really improving over the past 2 or 3 years, and a general upward trajectory.

But again, that's them as a business. I adore their games. High-quality, tons of variety, challenging yet accessible, a level of polish only rivaled by Valve (a feature that's become even more important to me this particular generation...), and a general "we don't give a fuck, we'll make this game because we fucking can" attitude with their franchises.

my favorite nintendo game is 'luigis mansion', nintendo often lacks that sort of innovation is a little rare with their own titles. you know if mario has to save peach one more time...

Matthew Jabour:

Gold:

Matthew Jabour:

No middle ground. You like them or you don't. You may like them a lot, or you may like them a little, but it all falls into two categories. Much neater that way.

I like some of their stuff.
I hate some of their stuff.

There is plenty of middle ground.

But I want to know whether you like them or not. Eventually, you can boil it down to like or dislike, and that is what this poll means to gauge.

That's a pretty shit question though. Many of us don't blindly like or hate a brand, we take it product by product. I can't actually say if I like/hate Nintendo, but I can say if they like/hate certain products Nintendo has.

That's why you need the middle ground.

Yes, I like Nintendo as a company, while I feel like the Wii was a bit of a failure and the 3DS suffered from a couple of major design errors (after the PSP they should have known to include a second thumbstick and they should not have marketed the 3D as a primary feature. I am willing to bet that reception to the 3DS would have been much warmer if it was marketed as an upgraded DS that also had 3D rather than as a 3D DS), but they only have these errors because they are willing to take major risks rather than just keep doing the same thing over and over. Nintendo also makes good games, and while some of their first party games are only ok, for the most part they are still fun and the people who say that Nintendo's franchises really die HAVE NOT thought about what would actually change if they stopped making new mario games (basically, is a game with mario jumping on turtles to save a princess made any better by switching mario to a kangaroo jumping on dingos to save a princess?). They have made mistakes over the years, but overall I feel that of the big 3 Nintendo is my favourite.

No, I fucking hate them...

>_>

<_<

...ah, who am I kidding? Of course I love 'em. Regardless of all the shit flung at them, they're still one of the greatest development houses in the world. First party and second party Nintendo games are still, after thirty years in the industry, some of the best games the medium has to offer. While companies like EA or Ubisoft regularly push out games that are substandard, shit or outright broken, Nintendo's worst games still tend to be 'good', or at the very worst 'less than expected'. That's one hell of a standard to have been able to maintain.

I like the fact that they're only focused on being a game company. Microsoft are trying to push the Xbox brand as an 'entertainment system' which is total bullshit. Game consoles are for playing games, and Nintendo know that better than anyone.

They're certainly not perfect, but I think they're really making a push to get their shit together as a company. The 3DS has now got one hell of a software library, and they've already got some damned exciting games for Wii U announced. I hope they keep Iwata and Miyamoto in charge, because we need at least one game company actually run by gamers. A strange idea, I know, but it's even more of a novelty in todays industry than motion controls.

Daystar Clarion:

Zhukov:
Utterly indifferent.

I don't actively dislike them and they don't really seem to engage in unpleasantness . On the other hand, I have absolutely no interest in their products.

To me, they're just "That one big old company that exists to churn out a few major franchises."

Agreed.

They've done so much 'meh' lately, that I don't really care one way or the other.

Remember when Nintendo used to make games?

Me neither.

You mean games like Mario 3D Land? Kid Icarus Uprising? Luigi's Mansion 2? Fire Emblem: Awakening? Mario Galaxy 1&2? Animal Crossing: New Leaf? Pikmin 3?

I mean, they're all games that are either recent or coming out soon, and they're all developed by Nintendo. All got pretty damn good reviews too. Does that maybe job your memory a bit?

Jenvas1306:
my favorite nintendo game is 'luigis mansion', nintendo often lacks that sort of innovation is a little rare with their own titles. you know if mario has to save peach one more time...

You do know that Nintendo are renowned for gameplay innovation, not story innovation, don't you? Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 all play completely differently from each other. Even moreso, Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy both revolutionised the 3D platformer genre in completely different ways.

Yeah, I like Ninty. Very fond of the SNES, N64, 'Cube, and their mobile platforms. Not as fond of the Wii, but that still gets some exercise every now and again. And, of course, those delicious Ninty exclusives. Few things finer than a great Ninty exclusive. :D

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Jenvas1306:

You do know that Nintendo are renowned for gameplay innovation, not story innovation, don't you? Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 all play completely differently from each other. Even moreso, Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy both revolutionised the 3D platformer genre in completely different ways.

thats kinda evident, but why cant we have both? I have played all the titles you mentioned and mechanics are certainly very important to me, but you still end up having a rather dull and overused plot.

Jenvas1306:

thats kinda evident, but why cant we have both? I have played all the titles you mentioned and mechanics are certainly very important to me, but you still end up having a rather dull and overused plot.

...why would you ever play a Mario game for the plot?

Nintendo have said time and again that their number one focus is always gameplay. Story isn't just secondary to Mario, it's irrelevant. If you're paying attention to the story, then something's obviously gone wrong, as you're supposed to be paying attention to the level design and gameplay mechanics.

Sure, it would be cool if Nintendo made more Mario games where Peach wasn't captured by Bowser, but at this stage it's all pretty irrelevant. Mario's an Italian plumber who jumps on turtles, eats mushrooms and cosplays. That's all the story you need.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Jenvas1306:

Nintendo have said time and again that their number one focus is always gameplay. Story isn't just secondary to Mario, it's irrelevant. If you're paying attention to the story, then something's obviously gone wrong, as you're supposed to be paying attention to the level design and gameplay mechanics.

Sure, it would be cool if Nintendo made more Mario games where Peach wasn't captured by Bowser, but at this stage it's all pretty irrelevant. Mario's an Italian plumber who jumps on turtles, eats mushrooms and cosplays. That's all the story you need.

Im not even talking about some big complicated story, just something else after all that time. It can be dull aswell, but new dull is better than over-reused dull. Like luigis mansion or bowsers inside story...

Jenvas1306:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Jenvas1306:

Im not even talking about some big complicated story, just something else after all that time. It can be dull aswell, but new dull is better than over-reused dull. Like luigis mansion or bowsers inside story...

You...

You mean 'New' 'New' 'New' New Super Mario Bros just isn't cutting it for you any more?

And you call yourself a gamer? :D

Daystar Clarion:

Jenvas1306:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You...

You mean 'New' 'New' 'New' New Super Mario Bros just isn't cutting it for you any more?

And you call yourself a gamer? :D

yeah, I'm crazy like that to expect that people, paid for their creativity, could be creative in such a simple matter. make bowser collect magical objects to gain power to overthrow mushroom kingdom and mario has to find then first or something like that. have a toad rebellion cause all peach does is raise the taxes to pay for her cake. even just having bowser not come over to capture her maybe lure her and mario into a trap and they have escape, fight out of it instead of into it.
Is it too much to ask for?
or just forget the plot, that would work too...

Nintendo is a mixed bag for me. they have made some of my most favourite games, and some of my most hated games. However, i think that i would say no, seeing as they have been at a low for a few years.

I have the Hylian Crest permanently affixed to my right shoulder and I am wearing a shirt with the design on the sail from Wind Waker on it. I think anyone who knows gaming at all could guess who my favorite console company is.

Seeing as how any game they develop can enthrall me in ways very few other games can, I think they are pretty rad. I just wished they reached out for more 3rd party support because that could be their downfall in the hardware business.

As a Company I think Nintendo is absolute shit. From gimmicky controls, to the "We are sticking with cartridges." mentality, Nintendo has pulled a lot of shit that really stagnates the games industry. That said, I love Nintendo's IP, and the Gamecube is my favorite system. I love what they create, I hate what they do. Kind of like EA, only I don't like the things EA makes.

This question feels irrelevant. Nintendo made a lot of my favorite video games in the early 90's, they haven't done much at all that I've enjoyed since Mario Sunshine. I'd like to see Nintendo with creativity again.

I still have my Gameboy, NES and DS-i. All computergames I played in my youth were on the Nintendo. So yes I like Nintendo, but I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. Nor do I have anything with consoles from the other two.
I like how Nintendo is not scared of experimenting on trying new things.
I hope they stay strong and make Zelda, Metroid and Mario-games for ever.
But they really need to ditch the motion control-gimmick. Motion control is evil and should be purged from this planet.

Zeh Don:
If you're going to make multiple "Do you like [Item]" threads, at least make more options - middle ground needed.

Yes please. "No" frequently implies negative feelings, while I have none for Nintendo one way or the other.

Zipa:
The poll needs a indifferent option, I neither like or dislike Nintendo. They pass under my radar so to speak as I am not part of the demographic which they are targeting.

The question is 'Do you like Nintendo'. If you can neither like nor dislike, that's a no because you just said you don't like them. We don't need a third option the two cover all of the bases.

I still like and respect Nintendo and am very content with my 3DS. I'm also interested in the Wii U but there isn't quite enough games on it to justify buying it yet. I see myself picking it up later down the line.

I would have chose 'meh' if listed, because they've existed out if my range of care for some years now.

So that's not to say I hate them, it'd be like hating a old friend you just sort of outgrew, he went in his direction you went yours. But then I suppose it could be considered a bigger insult to not be acknowledged anymore I suppose.

Catptcha: "Head over heels", not in a long time mate. Not in a long time.

I like their games, yes. As a hardware maker and a business, NO.

I do not like their dlc practices, their underpowered hardware for overprices, their overpriced dlc, and more...

I do like, club Nintendo rewards in the form of games, their attention to detail in most of their games that I do play, the nostalgia of Nintendo from my childhood.

Well, I own more of their systems than all other console manufacturers combined. I've got every console except the Wii U and every handheld starting with the GBA. My relationship with them is also by far the oldest. As far as I'm concerned, they have the best track record as first party developer out of all the big players (past and present). Their hardware also seems like it is consistently reliable, since I've never had any of their products crap out on me. Their stuff may not always be the most technologically impressive, but it'll work and it'll keep on working.

Does this mean I like them? I suppose so, maybe. Though I will admit my opinion of them is more based on my own nostalgia and their past achievements than anything they're doing nowadays. They have given me lots of fond memories, but they don't have my unyielding loyalty. The Wii U has so far left me completely uninterested and while I do own a 3DS, I feel like its library is still rather disappointing compared to its predecessors.

I don't necessarily dislike Nintendo - indeed, I've got a great deal of respect for what they do and for the innovations they've brought to the gaming industry. But their games and systems have never done anything for me personally. I've never owned a Nintendo console and it's unlikely I ever will, Mario and Zelda have never done anything for me.

I've just never felt like I'm part of their target market. And I'm probably not. And that's fine. So I don't like them, but it's not like I actively dislike them or anything either. We just have nothing to do with each other.

Well they published both metroid prime and super smash bros. so they'd pretty much have to fill my nutsack with flesh eating worms before I feel any ill will towards them.

I saw that my post had low content.
I just wanted to say I like the handhelds of Nintendo, because I can easily find Rpgs (especially on the DS) and more are coming and there are mostly no bugs.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked