Adam Orth has been "let go" by Microsoft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/10/following-twitter-tirade_2c00_-microsoft-designer-adam-orth-resigns.aspx

Following the constant feed of twitter comments from Adam Orth regarding the always online consoles Microsoft fired Adam Orth. Do you think it was deserved?

I personally believed that he had it coming. He made rude and arrogant comments towards people with valid concerns, and only amplified the whole rumor mill. Microsoft definitely made a smart move. Thoughts?

Looks like Microsoft dealt with it.

Now to find out if there's any truth to this always online bullshit.

Hah. When you are a high ranking member in a company as big as Microsoft, anything you say in public reflects on the company. Getting into a pissing contest on Twitter that fueled controversial rumors about your company's next big product?
See ya.

Well I suppose he'll have to...

And yes that was necessary

OT: Eh, depends on what angle we look at here for whether he deserved it or not. Did he deserve to completely lose all source of income for some stupid comments? That's a little iffy, and varies to who you would talk with. Did Microsoft make the smart move? Yes. It was obviously coming, and Orth made a stupid move. Whether he deserved it or not, it was going to happen, and Microsoft is better without him for it.

He was a high ranking member of the company that brought great anger upon it by treating the fanbase like crap. The same fanbase that can be easily swayed away from the company by being degraded like that. Good riddance, guess he better deal with it.

Having worked for Microsoft, I'd say this lends worrying credibility to the rumors. It's hard to get fired by pissing over the company on social media (though he's high ranking enough its plausible) but its very very easy to get fired for even hinting about details not released to the public...

That's harsh. He did not deserve to be fired, although with so much at stake, it's hardly surprising.

Damn ninjas, I just posted a thread on the same thing XD

OT: I feel if he was fired it was deserved, he was a fairly high up person in the company and should have known better then to mock people over what some consider a real issue.

He'll just have to deal with it (⌐■_■)

OpticalJunction:
That's harsh. He did not deserve to be fired, although with so much at stake, it's hardly surprising.

Someone fairly high up in the company mocks people about something, a certain something that could very well be connected to the company, and he did not deserve it? Granted I think firing is harsh, but whatever disciplinary action the company chose to take, I woulds say it's deserved, especially at such an important time to them. Although, I do see where you are coming from in a way, a man just lost his lively hood.

OpticalJunction:

If Microsoft genuinely are working on an always online console, then he was pretty much stirring shit up about it before they'd even formally announced it.

Imagine if before The Empire Strikes Back, some stage-hand went round loudly shouting "Would it be such a bad thing if Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's dad? Really? I mean, deal with it." Not only would Star Wars fans be pissed, but Lucas and the rest of the guys making the film would be pissed as well.

He acted incredibly unprofessionally. The software industry more than most works around the idea of people being able to keep shit secret. If you can't do that, then you're not going to keep a job for very long.

klaynexas3:
snip

http://imgur.com/udARjTF

(I'd post it directly but it doesn't want to work)

xPrometheusx:

klaynexas3:
snip

I fixed it :D

klaynexas3:

xPrometheusx:

klaynexas3:
snip

Thank you!

As far as I'm concerned, whether or not he deserved it is up to Microsoft's own discretion. If I were in charge and he was badmouthing the company like that, especially if people were taking him seriously, I'd get rid of him. From an outsider's point of view, I can say "well they could've just chastised him" but realistically, firing him was the only way to stop his comments from holding any water. Because you might miss something that microsoft said about his remarks. It's hard to miss if you're following him and he gets fired over them.

Out of a job?

This is exactly the reason people, especially the higher ups, have to be extremely mindful of what they say on Twitter (and social media in general), apparent private conversation or not.

Plot twist: Orth was already due to leave, and the twitter exchange was him trolling the company.

Well, probably not, but I can't think of a better reason. I just can't see how anybody could feel strongly enough about always-online to defend it in public like that. It's the kind of thing you support ambivalently at best. Nobody's like "wooh, always-online, best console eva!".

klaynexas3:

Okay, well that's one of the weirdest things I've seen in my life.

But I agree with the smoking fish chicken....thing. If you act stupid yo' gana get hurt.

he got sacked? awwww.. i feel so... i feel so....

i feel good [der duh, der duh, der duh, de]
i knew that i would now! [etc]

i wonder if he'll manage now that he has to scrape by after getting $1.2million pa for quite some time?
checking thru the wanted ads, wondering if he can pay the electric or telephone bill. i mean, what if his signal goes down now that he can't afford a fat piped business broadband line? his signal will keep cutting out...
but.. like he said... "i'll just have to move somewhere where the signal is good"

sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you just wanna SMILE!
yes. SMILE.
right now? i feel as SMUG as he did when he said to someone 'deal with it'.
gawd... this level of smugness can be measured on the spielberg list

Lethos:

klaynexas3:

Okay, well that's one of the weirdest things I've seen in my life.

But I agree with the smoking fish chicken....thing. If you act stupid yo' gana get hurt.

this isn't fair. the fish chicken...thing... has a ciggie..
and i'm gasping for a ciggie!!

Not rain on the parade but It look like he resigned from his position and may not have been out and out fired although it wouldn't take a genius to figure that resignation was probably a forced one.

While I'm not going to go on about the always-on DRM issue (I don't care for it), I am glad that Orth isn't in his now previous position. Back when I was working as a creative director for a series of weekly newspapers (this was a while ago, before the print industry nosedived back in '08), I had to deal with some of the talent essentially treating the clients like idiots and therein losing us some pretty sizable contracts. Irregardless of you opinion of Microsoft, the fact that Orth spoke to the public in such a smug matter probably cost them a lot of potential buyers. I know for one, I was leaning towards the 720, but after this little bout, I'm a lot more hesitant to give Microsoft any more of my money.

To be fair, that "why would I live there" line is pretty funny.

Eh. He had it coming.

Deal wi...

Nevermind, looks like most everyone has beaten me to the punch. :/

Requia:
Having worked for Microsoft, I'd say this lends worrying credibility to the rumors. It's hard to get fired by pissing over the company on social media (though he's high ranking enough its plausible) but its very very easy to get fired for even hinting about details not released to the public...

I agree.

I think it's very likely that the rumor of the xbox720 being always-online is true, and Orth was fired for leaking it before the company was ready.

I'm with the "He had it coming" crowd, but I'm not going to cheer or applaud Microsoft.

WoW Killer:
Plot twist: Orth was already due to leave, and the twitter exchange was him trolling the company.

Well, probably not, but I can't think of a better reason. I just can't see how anybody could feel strongly enough about always-online to defend it in public like that. It's the kind of thing you support ambivalently at best. Nobody's like "wooh, always-online, best console eva!".

I imagine though that all he ever heard was how terrible always-online was. He didn't see what the problem was because he lives in a bubble where everyone he knows has fantastic internet speeds, all the time. He probably doesn't even realise the huge portion of people still using dial-up.

So maybe there was all this build-up of hearing people complain and he finally exploded all over Twitter. Of course, we can never rule out the possibility of being a little but drunk.

Really what can be said? It's just so poetic.
Orth: Gettin' tired of this anti drm shit Deal with it.
MS: You're fired deal with it.

Why so much glee? It's pretty much confirmed that Microsoft is going to go with this retarded always-on scheme of theirs, so that guy was basicly fired for telling the truth. Sure, he is an asshat, but thats one of the requirements to work in Microsoft.

What if he now can't find a job and isn't able to live in a place with reliable internet?

Oh would that stink.

I guess he'll deal with it.

klaynexas3:

xPrometheusx:

klaynexas3:
snip

best
'deal with it'
ever

OT:
Good, he really should not have run his mouth like that, like it or not, his comments reflected on the company, more over, talking about unconfirmed features is an even bigger no no. he should have know that before he started running his mouth and getting into a pissing contest with some one on twitter.

WoW Killer:

I actually don't have a hard time believing that. After all the person who he actually argued with over twitter (Manveer Heir from Bioware) later came out and said that Adam Orth was just trolling. Probably not the actual reason, but not unlikely.

Also, incoming rumor that is tangentially relevant to the discussion. New "leak" says that next xbox will come in two varieties, one to compete with AppleTV and be alway-on and one that will be a standard console. Make of it what you will.

Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (Updated: Xbox Mini)

He became a liability, so he was let go. Negatively impacting your employers image over a public venue is the definition of unprofessional, and no employer with half a brain will risk keeping someone who does things like that around.

good move by Microsoft

now they need to fire everyone who thought up and supported the "always online" idea...

xPrometheusx:

klaynexas3:
snip

http://imgur.com/udARjTF

(I'd post it directly but it doesn't want to work)

I was waiting for that to eventually hit the Internet.

OT: Too bad for him, I guess. Working up fairly high in Microsoft and saying something on a public platform like Twitter sort of makes people see you as a spokesperson. Too bad he realised it too late.

Hey Orth! DEAL WITH IT!

I guess he should've thought twice before shooting his mouth... er fingers off.

Here's hoping that without that lovely Microsoft money and (hopefully) no one eager to hire the prat, he falls on hard times and has to move to Janesville, WI or Blacksburg, VA.

I wouldn't keep a liability hired either. Wouldn't be a sound business strategy.

I guess he's...... OFFLINE!

OpticalJunction:

perhaps, perhaps not but he DOES absolutely unconditionally deserve to be punished, with a big stick.

there are thousands of people, biting eachother's fingers off for that position and are desperate to do a good job
if you are in the luxury position of being a high ranking member of a super corporation and you scare away and alienate
even a remote percentage of the user base you have failed at your job, in quite spectacular fashion

it's basic netiquette that you don't user/fanbate, or troll people on twitter
this has happened before with other companies, usually resulting in similar action
or at-least a serious slap in the face,
personally, i'd pay him in M$ points in-game credit for 5 months and tell him to deal with it, he's always connected anyway right?
so no problem.

lastly, firing someone like this just lets another company hire him.. he wont starve on the street he is
extremely valuable to other companies, even if it's for the express purpose of learning some M$ secrets

whatever the decision, failure to act on behalf of M$ would be tantamount to agreeing with the statement, which makes them look stupid, bad and weak in the eyes of customers
they're already in a downturn with windows 8, they don't need more bad press.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked