Skyrim mods: 18 months later!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I recently reinstalled Skyrim and naturally started installing numerous mods to enhance my experience. This got me wondering: if you're still playing Skyrim on PC, what mods are you running?

I made this exact thread about a year ago but a lot of new mods have come out in the past 12 months. Maybe we'll see more variety this time around.

I'll start. At the moment I'm running:
A Quality World Map
Alter Start (Live Another Life)
Birds of Skyrim
Catacomb Ambiance
Chimneys for Sykrim
Cloaks of Skyrim
Glowing Ore Veins
Immersive weapons
Lore Based Loading Screens
Morrowind Armor
QD Inventory
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Riverside Lodge
Unique Uniques

If you're interested in any of these and can't find them for whatever reason (all of them should be available on the Nexus) just ask and I'll fish out a link for you.

God, it's been 18 months already? Jesus that went fast.
But, uh, mods? Yeah, I tend to install a bunch but end up getting kind of tired of it fairly quickly. Usually something to make the combat more lethal, some more immersion stuff. That kinda thing.

Two mods are absolutely 100% essential: Frostfall and Skyrim Redone (SkyRe).

I need stuff that makes the game more alive.

I forget their names but there's a mod that adds random groups of adventurers to the world (Who do go in caves it seems, as they've randomly shown up and cleared out half a damn dungeon for me).

There's another mod that adds random travelers to the roads as well, making the roads seem alive.

Also adding mods that add more enemies I find is crucial, especially for the civil war.

But I have so many mods that make my game more in line with the better TES games its scary. (I think I'm up to 83)

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I recently reinstalled Skyrim and naturally started installing numerous mods to enhance my experience. This got me wondering: if you're still playing Skyrim on PC, what mods are you running?

I made this exact thread about a year ago but a lot of new mods have come out in the past 12 months. Maybe we'll see more variety this time around.

I'll start. At the moment I'm running:
A Quality World Map
Alter Start (Live Another Life)
Birds of Skyrim
Catacomb Ambiance
Chimneys for Sykrim
Cloaks of Skyrim
Glowing Ore Veins
Immersive weapons
Lore Based Loading Screens
Morrowind Armor
QD Inventory
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Riverside Lodge
Unique Uniques

If you're interested in any of these and can't find them for whatever reason (all of them should be available on the Nexus) just ask and I'll fish out a link for you.

I have tried playing with Mods, but it just feels like it deviates from the set game too much and sorta bogs down the game with a bunch of unnecessary stuff. The only thing I have done was make the game harder, change the already in-place weapons to look unique, and added some new lighting/graphical effects.

Capitano Segnaposto:
I have tried playing with Mods, but it just feels like it deviates from the set game too much

I dislike a lot of things about the vanilla game for me things that deviate from it are positive changes half the time.

hazabaza1:

Feels like yesterday I was all hyped up, staying awake for the release on Steam...

Saviordd1:
But I have so many mods that make my game more in line with the better TES games its scary. (I think I'm up to 83)

Any tips for where I would start for a more Oblivion/Morrowind style levelling system? I've looked around but I can't find anything.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Capitano Segnaposto:
I have tried playing with Mods, but it just feels like it deviates from the set game too much

I dislike a lot of things about the vanilla game for me things that deviate from it are positive changes half the time.

hazabaza1:

Feels like yesterday I was all hyped up, staying awake for the release on Steam...

Saviordd1:

Any tips for where I would start for a more Oblivion/Morrowind style levelling system? I've looked around but I can't find anything.

I think the mod is called "Advanced start" or something, it allows you to choose a class ala Oblivion style or make your own. For the life of me I can't remember the full name.

Don Incognito:
Two mods are absolutely 100% essential: Frostfall and Skyrim Redone (SkyRe).

This.

These are really good mods and add a lot to the game.

Ever wondered why your character doesn't freeze to death, despite swimming in near freezing waters for 10 minutes? Frostfall fixes that and adds a very non-intrusive extra element to the game. You can build camp fires, erect tents and basically anything else you'd do to stay warm in a frozen wasteland. Works very well Cloaks of Skyrim.

Skyrim Redone (or Skyre) overhauls a lot of the game, adding a lot of extra weapon and classifying each, as well as completely overhauling the combat system and perk trees. It changes so much that I can't list them all, but it makes the game just so much more immersive and challenging.

Another mod I would say is essential, especially with Skyre, is a mod that lets you block while dual-wielding or when you have a spell in your offhand.

There's this new mod floating around, called Loadout!. And it's awesome. Change your gear on the fly! Running in the wilderness? Switch to light armour with stamina enchantments! In battle? Heavy armour with whichever enchantments!

The possibilities are yours to make. o.o

Get Snowy!, which adds snow-like appearance to everything in the snow storms
Better Dialogue/MessageBox Controls make some of the most annoying UI of Skyrim acceptable
Female Werewolf, adds a much more immersive, different werewolf skin for female players (though it's NSFW)
Hotkey your gear, self explanatory
The Dance of Death, adds a bunch more killmove cinematics
Wet and Cold, immersive plugin that changes what people wear during the weather, also adds a bit of equipment like travel cloaks and backpacks

As an alternative to SkyRe you should also consider Requiem.

It's very, very hardcore. You're going to die. A lot. All the time. It overhauls the entire leveling system, every perk is changed and the way NPCs level is changed (as in they don't level at all, bandits are weak, draugr somewhere in between and dragons will murder you).

I haven't followed it for the past few months, taking a break from Skyrim myself, but there was a lot more cool stuff planned.

In my opinion it gives Skyrim a bit of a Dark Souls feel. It's obviously not the same combat system, it's still Skyrim, but a few things like dying all the time, the importance of blocking and the feeling that the world is there to kill you are all there.

Definitely worth looking at.

Yeah, I don't even know were to begin... I just tend to install anything I find interesting on the nexus and almost never uninstall a mod unless its outright problematic.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

Disturbed-Hell:

Yeah, I don't even know were to begin... I just tend to install anything I find interesting on the nexus and almost never uninstall a mod unless its outright problematic.

TemptressVixen
NewSuccubusRace
Skimpy Weding Dress...

Is there something you want to tell us Disturbed-Hell?

I think I had that Skimpy Wedding Dress mod on a previous install at some point.

Also I am positive I had that nude mod installed for hires titties. No shame.

Recommendations:
Unofficial patches
SKYtest (Very realistic animal mod)
Weapons of the Third Era
No Tint and Desaturation
My own mod
Better Magic
Dual Wield Parrying (Also allows blocking with magic in one hand)
Potions heal over time
No Quest Items
Radiance (random encounters)
Boethiah alternate ending
House of Horrors alternate ending (and all extra choice mods)
The Choice is Yours (No more automatic misc quest filling)
Deadly Dragons Lore edition
Lore based loading screens
Two Handed Rebalance
Loot Overhaul (no more gold in everything)
Immersive Patrols
Economics of Skyrim

Full list of mine: (1 is on, 0 is off)

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
--snip--

Nope. Nothing to see here, kiddies. Move along. Please?

Urgh, fine. The temptress and succubus mods are for the face textures mostly as I find the vanilla races to be a bit bland sometimes and the wedding dress... Fuck you, I have fantasies.

Captcha: Remain calm

Huh. These things really are sapient.

I'll just repost this comment I made in a thread about this earlier this month:

Just let me fire up the nexus and I'll give you my discoveries so far...

EDIT: Ok first there's the Skyrim Warzones Civil Unrest: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9494
It adds actual battlegrounds of Stormcloaks and Imperials.

Training Dummies: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23698 Makes hitting the training dummies give you experience!

Real Shelter: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31629 means outside rooves and shelter actually work and snow/rain doesn't pass through them. An essential mod for immersion, expecially when combined with one of the environmental mods (I use hypothermia which adds negative effects if you stay wet/cold for too long: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6745 )

As well as the weather effects I have the obligatory food/sleep mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13246 I like this one because it's really simple to get a hang of, and less intrusive than many of the others. Negative effects are slight and gradual and affect your magic/stamina/health pools, so it won't kill you to stay hungry or sleepy for a while, but it may indirectly stunt your ability to survive encounters.

High Resolution signs: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/436 So you can actually see where you are going and get directions from the signs, especially when combined with this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33393 Which adds a lot more roadsigns at intersections so you have a better chance of actually navigating by using the roadsigns.

Duel combat realism: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2700 Gives a new dimension to melee combat with blocking, and improves the AI of enemy mages so they use restoration spells and are actually a threat especially at higher levels.

Adding these extra music mods give a whole new breath of air to adventuring: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28583 and the mod simply entitled 'Enhanced Soundtrack' which isn't on the Nexus but is on the Steam workshop, it comes in 2 parts. I haven't found any compatibility issues from having them both working at the same time. They are non-replacers, so the traditional tunes still work, and they fit really well into the standard soundtrack, so it doesn't break immersion when the tracks change.

Realistic Lighting Overhaul: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30450/ Completely fixes the striping bug, but also adds a lot more atmosphere: light sources give off a lot more light, the first time you come up to a warm forge at night, you'll see the difference.

And finally if you don't want to fiddle around with ENBs I can't recommend any higher the Immersive Saturation Boost: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32064 It basically takes away the grey/brown filter giving the world actual colour (did you know the market stalls are supposed to have yellow/blue striped cloth rooves? Well with this mod you'll realise that, and a whole lot more.)

Finding these has given me so much joy over the past year, hope you check some of them out.

I have many, many more, but these are probably the main diamonds in the rough.

I would, if I could even play the game on 32bit Win 7. I have to play the game on my Win 7 64bit SSD in order to play, and even then it crashes willy nilly. It pisses me off no end. Then again, I installed one or two or ten to many mods :(

I tried almost everything underneath the sun to fix the crashing but to no avail. I might have to go through the process of using this process after getting rid of some mods.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31675

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Also I am positive I had that nude mod installed for hires titties. No shame.

god dammit, i misread that about 4 different times, i kept saying outloud:

"hires titties..? how does one hire a tittie? what THE HELL DOES IT DO?"

then i made the connection you were saying high resolution...

god dammit >_<

OT:

I am a lazy fuck so lets see if i can find out how many i have installed...

*checks nexus mod manager*

yepp, i have 99 mods running through nexus, and i can only imagine how many are running through the steam workshop, i've clicked subscribe too many times on there...not to mention all the mods that you just copy/paste into the data folder, for clothing/items and shit, I think i counted at one point it was in the 200 range? (when im crafting, it is extremely tedious to find things because i have so many extra item mods)

I think my favorite is this though:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10364

it's simple and many people would claim it is "game breaking" and "un immersive", but i love having a fus ro dah that shouted jarl of whiterun over the fucking mountain

it doesn't always work perfectly, but still a bit of fun to have when your in a linear hallway filled with baddies :D

The only mods I have are the Unofficial Follower Overhaul and Companion Vilja. I didn't really need any graphical mods because I think it already looks pretty fucking good and I'm fine with the mechanics, so I never got a mod that changed those either.

Oh, I also use a Glowing Ore Vein mod, but it's mysteriously listing from my data files list. Odd.

Too lazy to look at the moment since there's a ton.

One of my favourites is Immersive Armors.

I tried playing Skyrim for the PS3, after abandoning it after I got a PC that could play it, and I just couldn't do it.

The mods alone make the PC version so much better.
Let alone the better graphics and less lag.

Still playing on the 360 version even though I've seen a friend game on the PC version doesn't exactly make me want to use a load of mods just to make the game someonething it's not.

Then again I might or might not use mods for Skyrim in the future but most likely not and just wait for patches and such.

According to Steam Workshop:

- RCRN 3.6 - Realistic Colors and Real Nights (Legacy preset)
- Better Embers
- Enhanced Blood Textures 3.5
- The Autumn of Whiterun
- HD Plants + Herbs
- Chopping block / Wood fires FIX
- Dragon Bone Weapons Complete
- Open Cities Skyrim
- The REAL Fus Ro Dah - Shout from Trailer (Shout Only)
- Enhanced Soundtrack (Part 1 - Explore)
- Enhanced Soundtrack (Part 2 - Everything Else)
- Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM Part 1
- Improved Interior Lighting (For Realistic Lighting Mods)
- Birds and Flocks
- Followers can Relax
- Reduced Distance NPC Greetings
- Auto Unequip Arrows
- Arrowsmith: Vanilla Edition v.3d
- Realistic Ragdolls and Force
- Midas Magic - Spells for Skyrim
- The Dance Of Death - A Killmoves Mod
- Project Reality: Climates Of Tamriel - Lite Version
- Better Dynamic Snow
- Pure Waters
- SkyUI
- Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds

A combination of minor and major things. Makes the game a lot better but all these things aren't very taxing on my system.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Then again...

Daystar Clarion:

Skyrim Redone (or Skyre) overhauls a lot of the game, adding a lot of extra weapon and classifying each, as well as completely overhauling the combat system and perk trees. It changes so much that I can't list them all, but it makes the game just so much more immersive and challenging.

*patpats* That's what the nexus link is for. (And yes, I'm seconding...thirding...whatever the recommendation, folks)

My ESM list is

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Highrestexturepack01.esp
Highrestexturepack02.esp
Highrestexturepack03.esp
Unofficial Skyrim patch.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard patch.esp
Unofficial Hearthfire patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn patch.esp
Unofficial High resoulusion patch.esp
Skyui.esp

I need nothing more

I would probably use a general texture enhancer but Skyrim 2K has been abandoned for ages, and the only other largely complete texture mod got banned form the nexus..... so there are zero large texture mods left anymore.

There are too damn many.
Unofficial Patches are of course essential, and ThirteenOranges's mods (TES: Quests, TES: Places, Pit Fighter, all available only through Steam Workshop) are just awesome. I'm actually thinking of making a business and settlement ownership/purchase mod.

Oh! Interesting NPC's is awesome too.

Asita:

Daystar Clarion:

*patpats* That's what the nexus link is for. (And yes, I'm seconding...thirding...whatever the recommendation, folks)

Will it clash with a current save? I'm guessing this is a start a new character kind of mod.

Akratus:
Snip.

With your mod, how does the female Draugr armor look? Old and tattered etc to fit in, I like what I saw in the image on the nexus page though :)

I'm playing skyrim vanilla. Would someone be so kind as to post a link to where you get these mods and anything that might not be self explanatory when it comes to downloading/installing?. Thank you very much

Childe:
I'm playing skyrim vanilla. Would someone be so kind as to post a link to where you get these mods and anything that might not be self explanatory when it comes to downloading/installing?. Thank you very much

Go to the Steam workshop if you're starting off. Find one you like and press the "subscribe" button and it'll do most of the rest for you.
There's a few other things on the Skyrim Nexus, and that has its own downloader/launcher but the Workshop is a lot more convenient, even if it may not work with certain mods at times.

Childe:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/

^website that has all the mods you will ever need basically

at the top there is a "install NMM" which NMM= nexus mod manager, it's extremely nifty.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Installing_Mods_Using_NMM

^that is a website that helps you install/download mods once you download/install NMM, and that is as easy as just following the setup file (it should launch or ask you if it can launch.)

if you need anymore help i'm sure people will be happy to help, the website are pretty user friendly for finding the biggest and best mods

edit:

or use steam workshop for skyrim, it's as easy as pressing "subscribe" and the game downloads it for you when you launch next.

gmaverick019:

Childe:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/

^website that has all the mods you will ever need basically

at the top there is a "install NMM" which NMM= nexus mod manager, it's extremely nifty.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Installing_Mods_Using_NMM

^that is a website that helps you install/download mods once you download/install NMM, and that is as easy as just following the setup file (it should launch or ask you if it can launch.)

if you need anymore help i'm sure people will be happy to help, the website are pretty user friendly for finding the biggest and best mods

edit:

or use steam workshop for skyrim, it's as easy as pressing "subscribe" and the game downloads it for you when you launch next.

hazabaza1:

Childe:

Go to the Steam workshop if you're starting off. Find one you like and press the "subscribe" button and it'll do most of the rest for you.
There's a few other things on the Skyrim Nexus, and that has its own downloader/launcher but the Workshop is a lot more convenient, even if it may not work with certain mods at times.

Thanks guys

Got 92 running but only recently got the perfect load order to make it all run smoothly. *knocks on wood*

Favorites:

-Unofficial patches
-Ton of graphical updates (HD plants, more snow, lush trees, stuff like that)
-Climates of Tamriel/Hardcore dungeons/Vanilla Nights lvl 8 (Weather and lighting effects)
-Clanking armor (Heavy armor clanks when moving)
-RNG Dynamic Guards (Guards in the different holds have different armor styles)
-SkyUI
-Adventurers and Travelers (Spawns groups of wondering people going to and from towns, makes the roads more lively and random bandit/dragon ambushes more interesting)
-Dragon Age series weapons
-Craftable Keyblades
-Magica Sabers
-Bounty Forgery (Allows you to clear your bounty after escaping jail by editing the ledger)
-Deadly Dragons (Makes dragons tougher, with new abilities as well as random spawning and turing dragon souls into perk points)
-Armor Disguises (Allows you to disguise yourself as a faction by equipping a full set of that faction's armor)
-Quest: And the Realms of Daedra (Fun little quest. Have others made by the same author but haven't played them yet)
-Skyrim Overhaul: Factions (Makes factions tougher.)
-Dawnguard Delayed Start lvl 50 (Delays the start of the dawnguard quests and vampire attacks until I'm damn well ready for them to happen.)
-Leveling Perks Original (Makes the perks like Armsman/Stealth/Alchemist level as you level the skill, so you only need 1 perk point instead of 5)
-Invested Magic (Increases the time limit on spells so that they're almost constant effects. Example, To cat oakflesh it only costs 5 magica and lasts for a day, however you're magica is decreased by 50, or 25 with novice alteration, for the duration of the spell.)

*Leveling perks and invested magic work amazingly well together*

-Train 99 skill points per level (Didn't like the arbitrary limit of 5. If I want to spend my hard earned gold on more training, that's what I'm gonna do!)
-Fall of the Space Core (Because SPACE!)

I'm on SkyUI, killable children, and swearing mudcrabs are the ones of note.

Swearing mudcrabs is sweet btw.

chozo_hybrid:

Will it clash with a current save? I'm guessing this is a start a new character kind of mod

I don't think it would actually make the game crash or anything with an older save - if that's what you're asking - but given how significantly this changed perks, you'd definitely be wise to start a new character if you use it. Otherwise you're hobbling yourself. Case in point: 'Lockpicking' has been replaced with a perk tree called "Wayfarer". See the page for details. Though to quote the page itself in more general terms:

It is also strongly advised to start a new game. Do not attempt to apply this mod to an old char - it is fixable with console commands, but will mess everything up at first. The older the char, the bigger the damage caused. Characters created with SkyRe can NOT roll back to vanilla, so backing up savegames is advised (as always)

(Do note, the mod also revamps racial advantages)

I have about 120 mods with close to 80 of them running at any one time. I feel that they give the game more replayability.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked