Honestly people whats wrong with us?

Pages PREV 1 2

tippy2k2:
I don't think this is gaming culture; this is an internet culture issue.

I'm with Tippy on this. The internet has a remarkable ability to turn perfectly normal people (Gamers) into giant shitheads.
You'd get the same reaction if you were posting on a Cat related forum where the majority of posters prefer Russian Blues, and you said that you prefer Tabbies.

That was a weird analogy...

Shocksplicer:

tippy2k2:

I'm with Tippy on this. The internet has a remarkable ability to turn perfectly normal people (Gamers) into giant shitheads.
You'd get the same reaction if you were posting on a Cat related forum where the majority of posters prefer Russian Blues, and you said that you prefer Tabbies.

Fuck you man, the only people that prefer Tabbies are sexual degenerates like Jimmy Saville. Some people may argue about data, flawed data, that shows sales of Russian Blues declining against Tabbies, which is horseshit, but even if it WAS true then I'd say that has more to do with the ongoing decline of social values! THANKS OBAMA!

EDIT: Just read your post and realised you weren't actually saying Tabbies are in any way good. I'll let you off THIS time!

It's healthy in any culture to debate opinions... that's why we have differing opinions to begin with!

Also, it's a bit naiive, and slightly insulting to generalise similar minded people like that. Gaming is a hobby. Fact. You can't deny that. The gaming culture is the environment where people who play games associate themselves with other people who play games. We are not some sort of fraternity who find people who see themselves as outcasts and offer them refuge... that's the YMCA! :S
I don't 'hate' people for having a different opinion to me, but I will dislike someone I think is a tosser. Again, fact. I don't have to like someone because they play videogames, or because they have geeky tendencies, if they arn't compatible to be my friend, then they quite simply won't... just like anyone else.

There are so many people in the 'gaming community' that they are quite obviously split to the 4 winds, and have a lot of differences, and this means that you are not going to get on with everyone, or that everyone should go out of their way to like you... Something we should all just get over! The social aspect of gaming, using sites such as this, is a tool that can be used to find like minded people that you can get on with, and then become friends... nothing more... it's not an instant 'look at my 1000's of new frinds because I signed up to a website' pass... Again, just a point to reflect on.

And finally... please don't use a dubious moral issue to guilt trip people into re reading a point you made from another thread... especially as an entire new thread... it's petty.

I dont know.I just think that without different ipinions there will not be a healthy market.
I think this kind of dispute is what motivates devs to make better games.

Opinions are just that opinions - regardless of justification. Some people believe certain things, others do not. Each has their own opinion that is valid for themselves, if not for anyone else. Requiring someone to justify an opinion is not rational, nor applicable or necessary for what is essentially a matter of personal perspective. For example:

Person 'A' goes to a hospital and receives terrible treatment, misdiagnosis and as a result forms an opinion of the facility.

Person 'B' goes to the same hospital and receives lovely treatment, extensive care and forms an opinion of the same facility.

Neither individual is right or wrong to hold the opinion they have formed and to require justification of it is merely a tool to prove or disprove the validity of an opinion.

In other words it's like saying "I've already made my mind up that you are wrong and I'll do my best to socially humiliate you until you conform to my opinion." or "I've made my mind up and I need to prove that I am right so everyone can get on my bandwagon to congratulate me." Either way it's simply ego stroking.

I'm not saying you can't form opinions that look odd to others. But as it's based on what one knows, whether it's factual, faulty or partial information (on which the opinion is formed) on is moot, the opinion is still formed.

Opinions are based entirely on personal experience, knowledge and perceptions. The OT's post was (at least in my understanding) an opinion based question. They felt attacked when discussing their favourable/disfavourable feelings in regards to certain game publishers.

Perhaps it would be more constructive to have asked if anyone shared their perspective, rather than commenting on the validity of dissenting voices.

Gameguy20100:
Really what the fuck happened to us people gaming was meant to be the culture that accepts people others wouldn't accept but we are nothing like that honestly look at us people getting insulted and demonized because of the game they Like, A lot of people hate me for my preference for EA from Valve and that's stupid no one should have to justify their opinion I gave people who Hate EA a chance to explain why and when I pointed out that other company's do It as well so maybe they were being a bit harsh I was bombarded with insults and stupid remarks (which I wont repeat). So really guys we have enough problems trying to get our culture accepted, hell a lot off people still see us as potential serial Killers and we are actually insulting and sending death threats to Each other over what company's we like? Shame on us!! gaming Is a new art form and the only art form where nothing is good or bad regardless, but the amount of stupidity and hatred we hold for each other IS stupid and pathetic. why am I considered an outcast because I prefer EA to Valve? Why do we complain over every stupid little thing that one company does wrong yet we would forgive another for setting our dog on fire? wow this got a lot deeper than I wanted but Its an ugly truth If we want the respect That most other cultures flaunt, we need to give It to each other first.

Thank you for reading

Hey guy you know you're allowed to have your opinion but maybe you should think about actually using some punctuation sometimes or maybe breaking up your text so that it's easy to read and not an annoying wall of text and also see part of your problem is how incredibly wrong you are which coupled with your poor presentation makes people really annoyed at you.

So, first off, gaming wasn't meant to be shit. Gaming is gaming, just like any other hobby.
Is there a good reason to hate on you for liking a shitty game, or for thinking EA isn't awful? No. But it's universal. Thinking nerds are somehow above petty arguments is just stupid. Half of nerd culture IS petty arguments, to the point where there's an informal rule on this very forum against them!
"gaming is...the only art form where nothing is good or bad" what? that's PATENTLY ridiculous. Gaming is FULL of objective bad.
I don't know ANYONE who would speak to someone that killed their dog with fire. What the fuck is wrong with you, sir?
You're an outcast because you hold an unpopular opinion, and keep whining about it. If your brain functions in such a way as to somehow find anything of value in EA, then fine, but quit bitching about how people disagree with you.

Nothing about your post was "deep". It just whining and a failure to understand anything about how people are. You're 18 years old (according to your profile), act like it.

8-Bit_Jack:

Gameguy20100:
Really what the fuck happened to us people gaming was meant to be the culture that accepts people others wouldn't accept but we are nothing like that honestly look at us people getting insulted and demonized because of the game they Like, A lot of people hate me for my preference for EA from Valve and that's stupid no one should have to justify their opinion I gave people who Hate EA a chance to explain why and when I pointed out that other company's do It as well so maybe they were being a bit harsh I was bombarded with insults and stupid remarks (which I wont repeat). So really guys we have enough problems trying to get our culture accepted, hell a lot off people still see us as potential serial Killers and we are actually insulting and sending death threats to Each other over what company's we like? Shame on us!! gaming Is a new art form and the only art form where nothing is good or bad regardless, but the amount of stupidity and hatred we hold for each other IS stupid and pathetic. why am I considered an outcast because I prefer EA to Valve? Why do we complain over every stupid little thing that one company does wrong yet we would forgive another for setting our dog on fire? wow this got a lot deeper than I wanted but Its an ugly truth If we want the respect That most other cultures flaunt, we need to give It to each other first.

Thank you for reading

Hey guy you know you're allowed to have your opinion but maybe you should think about actually using some punctuation sometimes or maybe breaking up your text so that it's easy to read and not an annoying wall of text and also see part of your problem is how incredibly wrong you are which coupled with your poor presentation makes people really annoyed at you.

So, first off, gaming wasn't meant to be shit. Gaming is gaming, just like any other hobby.
Is there a good reason to hate on you for liking a shitty game, or for thinking EA isn't awful? No. But it's universal. Thinking nerds are somehow above petty arguments is just stupid. Half of nerd culture IS petty arguments, to the point where there's an informal rule on this very forum against them!
"gaming is...the only art form where nothing is good or bad" what? that's PATENTLY ridiculous. Gaming is FULL of objective bad.
I don't know ANYONE who would speak to someone that killed their dog with fire. What the fuck is wrong with you, sir?
You're an outcast because you hold an unpopular opinion, and keep whining about it. If your brain functions in such a way as to somehow find anything of value in EA, then fine, but quit bitching about how people disagree with you.

Nothing about your post was "deep". It just whining and a failure to understand anything about how people are. You're 18 years old (according to your profile), act like it.

My puntuation is my fault I agree but my point was that this stupid war we have with each other is pathetic I have tried this same thing on other sites before and the amount of insults death threats and hatred is disgussting I didnt write this for fun or attention, its because I want games to be taken serously as an artform which wont happen while this problem persists but clearly im in the minorty.

Btw my post of."nothing is good or bad" its becsuse game qality is opinion based a game can be hated by 99% of people and someine will find it fun and thats the point of games.

Gameguy20100:

Your right but what site it comes from is irelevent. The fact is it exists and us makeing us all look bad gameing will never be taken serouisly as an art form while this shit exists

I think that what site it comes from IS relevant. You don't go to a baptist church meeting for a discussion on Celtic pagan imagery. you don't go to a biker bar for a discussion on classical music.

Likewise, I don't read youtube comments because they are mostly complete wank and I'll learn nothing from them. And 4chan is...4chan it is the occasionally amusing cesspit of the internet. But if somebody there called me a cocksucker because I like COD I'd probably just laugh and move on because 4chan. If that happened here on the escapist I'd report them because this is a polite site with (generally) reasonable people

There are always going to be assholes. But there are always going to be good people too. Unfortunately assholes tend to be louder.

we're human, we love to hate things everyone loves AND hates. especially things people love.

i dont know why we're hypocritical, we're just born this way

I remember your post about EA. You wanted to know why people hated them. I don't remember any issues there but, like you said, you were talking about shit you were getting from other sites.

Stop posting there, man.

But yeah, this is the internet, you're gonna get shit. All the people who are cock bags in real life are enhanced on the internet. Plus, we all know the anonymity makes people into cock bags anyway.

Nothing is wrong with us there may be something wrong with us if we all agreed on everything and were all buddy buddy with each other all the time (most likely we have all been brainwashed and insinuated into some weird hive master mind). I am pretty sure people have had differing opinion, beliefs, experiences etc for quite some time now and have respected and disrespected others for almost as long seems to be the natural way of things.

Little Gray:
They are bitter assholes because gaming is suddenly becoming popular.

Gaming didn't just become popular, it became stupid.

Seriously, does every game have to have take-down kills? "Back in my day" we actually had to have the skills to perform a kill on an enemy, and execute it with proper timing. Now if you just get close enough, you push a button that is flashing on the screen and you auto-kill your enemy. Stupid.

Gameguy20100:
Honestly people whats wrong with us?

Allow me to answer your question:
1. You can't punctuate, capitalize, and your sentence structure is a joke.
2. Your title is vague as shit and could mean anything.
3. You're asking that question in the first place.

Allow me to properly answer your question(s):
1. It's a cultural phase that is on the decline.
2. Yes, it is on the decline.
3. Try proper arguments (and grammar/punctuation/capitalization) when defending EA. Or don't post that on this forum. In all honesty, this isn't the best place for discussions like that.

scorptatious:
No offense, but you kinda need to work on your punctuation and split your post into paragraphs. I kinda had a hard time reading what your post.

But yeah, it does kinda sadden me how a lot of gamers seem to go at each others throats.

An example I seem to notice is the split in the Fallout fanbase. A lot of the old Fallout purists seem to despise 3 and to a lesser extent, New Vegas and call people who like those games stupid or childish. While the other side likes to claim that the Fallout games didn't become good until 3 and they complain about the graphics of the first two.

Same goes with Call of Duty. I've seen quite a lot of people fighting about the game. People on one side often like to tell people who didn't like the same kind of game they do to "Go back and play COD" as it's some form of insult.

I also agree how it seems like a lot of people seem to complain about little things in games. Like one person who's name I won't mention with those two engineers from Mass Effect 3, can't remember their names.

On the other hand though, I do think that a lot of the complaints we make are quite valid. The launch for SimCity was pretty disastrous and game developers and publishers need to know that stuff like online DRM and games which force you to always play online aren't going to fly with most people.

I'm not saying you're bad for preferring EA to Valve, I'm saying that if EA doesn't pull themselves together and change some of their business practices, they're going to be hurt in the long run. Or even worse.

Amen. I'm sick of this crap. This is an industry I want others to admit can have just as much credibility and great protege as cinema. What's more,I want to see the news hounds proven WRONG about what they think about us. We're not entirely psychopaths. We're good people, DANG IT!

To any one criticizing my grammar or punctuation that's a valid complaint but I have Aspergers syndrome so I am going to slip up with those sometimes I do my best but I'm never going to be perfect with it.

lacktheknack:
At any rate, I'm not sure where you got the idea that gamers were an accepting community to outcasts in general. Gamers are notoriously elitist, and I don't remember that ever not being the case.

The main problem: The main method of communication between gamers is "over the internet". We talk endlessly about how the internet makes people say stupid and regretful things... start believing it.

Hmm, I agree on the "accepting community" thing - before I went on the Internet as much, I hanger around in gaming clubs a lot (also, I didn't have a PC yet). When I think about that time...I don't remember hugs and flyffy kittens and stuff. Now, not everybody was a prick but there were a fair few of them even IRL. Oh, and you think that guy cursing you over the in-game chat for being killed is bad? Try seeing him in the flesh. Yes, there are those who are more than words on the other side of a microphone/chat.

However, the IRL 13 year olds are hilarious. Actually, scratch that - just the angry kids in general. I remember playing LAN once (dunno, probably CS) in this one computer club and one of the kids was really enthusiastic over the game. He was 10 or 11 but as angry as any two screaming 13 year olds. I, on the other hand, was ironically 14, I believe (or 15) and quite calm, so I didn't pay him much attention, just played. At some point I got a lucky kill in-game and it happened to be the kid. He went absolutely bonkers screaming "Who is that DoPo guy?! Show yourself! Come on!". Well, I must mention I was rather big for my age - 1.85m/90kg, so I just got up from my chair and said as calmly as possible "Yeah, that'd be me. What's up?" His expression - priceless. His response? Well, he just said "Well, don't do that any more" it probably the whiniest way possible and slinked back to his chair. I just went with "Sure, if you've got any other problems, give me a call" and let the others make fun of him.

Gameguy20100:
Really what the fuck happened to us people gaming was meant to be the culture that accepts people others wouldn't accept

When exactly was that the case?

The gamer culture is for people who game, and usually they turn out to be extremely opinionated.
I'd think gaming culture is a lot more about exclusionism than anything else.

Even the small subsection of "Gamers who like Dark Souls" hate each other and can't agree on anything

It might help is you started thinking about "gaming culture" as "individualist culture"
Because if there's one thing we all have in common it's thinking that we're the only ones who are right.
And an unwillingness to realize that there are things unrelated to you as an individual. (That's why someone reading "I don't like CoD" reads as "I don't like you because you like CoD" or what ever)

Gamers don't accept, they fight tooth and nail to keep the things they like exclusive to them, and the only thing worse than someone disagreeing with them, is someone agreeing with them. And the sooner we come to accept that the sooner nothing will change, but at least everyone will agree that I'm right. And Fuck 'em for it!

Mikeyfell:

Gameguy20100:
Really what the fuck happened to us people gaming was meant to be the culture that accepts people others wouldn't accept

When exactly was that the case?

The gamer culture is for people who game, and usually they turn out to be extremely opinionated.
I'd think gaming culture is a lot more about exclusionism than anything else.

Even the small subsection of "Gamers who like Dark Souls" hate each other and can't agree on anything

It might help is you started thinking about "gaming culture" as "individualist culture"
Because if there's one thing we all have in common it's thinking that we're the only ones who are right.
And an unwillingness to realize that there are things unrelated to you as an individual. (That's why someone reading "I don't like CoD" reads as "I don't like you because you like CoD" or what ever)

Gamers don't accept, they fight tooth and nail to keep the things they like exclusive to them, and the only thing worse than someone disagreeing with them, is someone agreeing with them. And the sooner we come to accept that the sooner nothing will change, but at least everyone will agree that I'm right. And Fuck 'em for it!

Well that's what It felt like for me. Damn was I wrong

gaming "community" isn't supposed to be anything, its barely a thing to begin with and there is no rules to get in to it.

the reason people are angry at specific companies like ea is mainly because of their previous actions like gutting the ultima series and ruining medal of honour, the fact that people support and defend them later gets people especially mad.

Bertylicious:

Shocksplicer:

tippy2k2:

Fuck you man, the only people that prefer Tabbies are sexual degenerates like Jimmy Saville. Some people may argue about data, flawed data, that shows sales of Russian Blues declining against Tabbies, which is horseshit, but even if it WAS true then I'd say that has more to do with the ongoing decline of social values! THANKS OBAMA!

EDIT: Just read your post and realised you weren't actually saying Tabbies are in any way good. I'll let you off THIS time!

I believe that all cats are born equal, and value should be determined by personal kittyness, not breed.

Echo all those that said it is an internet thing and people are jerks. I suppose the big question is why does it bother you? Do you want to see the gaming community grow up or is there some other reason?

Pebkio:
If it makes you feel better, I only hate you because you have numbers in your username. numeric snip.

Does that mean you hate me?

Gameguy20100:
After reading the other posts I relize im being melodramatic and for that I apolligize

You are forgiven by the mighty 2fish lord of empty titles!

Signa:

Little Gray:

Seriously, does every game have to have take-down kills? "Back in my day" we actually had to have the skills to perform a kill on an enemy, and execute it with proper timing. Now if you just get close enough, you push a button that is flashing on the screen and you auto-kill your enemy. Stupid.

Thank you for proving my point.

Gameguy20100:

1. format, please.

2. Uhhh...When was that ever the deal? Gaming's been, through my entire life, more or less the opposite of that. Gaming got derided and mocked by people in the mainstream, so it set up rules for its tree fort to be the "cool kids" with the exclusive hideout. Even now, when gaming's got some degree of mainstream veracity, it hates noobs and casuals.

Seriously, when was it different?

Little Gray:

Signa:

Little Gray:

Thank you for proving my point.

No problem. Any time ;)

The reason people are so much against EA is because the company is about protecting their properties over consumer satisfaction. Poor DRM, online passes, day one DLC that should have been on the disk in the first place, horrid microtranslations, pointless multiplayer, watering down franchises to give them a "broader appeal", pouring more money into a game than they could reasonably make back, and saying that gamers have no right to resale.

Sure there are other companies that do those things, but not ALL those things. EA is easily the worst company in the industry.

Gameguy20100:

My puntuation is my fault I agree but my point was that this stupid war we have with each other is pathetic I have tried this same thing on other sites before and the amount of insults death threats and hatred is disgussting I didnt write this for fun or attention, its because I want games to be taken serously as an artform which wont happen while this problem persists but clearly im in the minorty.

Btw my post of."nothing is good or bad" its becsuse game qality is opinion based a game can be hated by 99% of people and someine will find it fun and thats the point of games.

See you still haven't learned not to use irritating run-on sentences or type properly and see that makes you sound unintelligent not saying you are but that's how you're perceived because of your typing habits do you see what i mean?

People send you threats because you're not just wrong (in their opinion) but having to read your messages infuriates them. If you take the time to punctuate and check your spelling (everyone makes mistakes, but c'mon, dude), you'll be amazed at how much more receptive people are to your arguments.

You're actually making several mistakes at once, while I'm talking about it. Firstly, the points you're making just aren't as deep or noteworthy as you think they are. Secondly, your starting position in this thread was a defeated whine. Instead of (to paraphrase you, for brevity) "OMG you guys, why is everyone so mean, I just said something and you're all dicks!", start from a more firm position. Try "I've noticed a peculiar behavior among a large number of gamers..."
Instead you start off essentially admitting you've lost this argument before and are complaining about it to others, then saying the new audience is exactly the same as the old one. Do you see what I'm saying? Do you understand what I'm trying to convey?

In all honesty, I'm one of those people who wants to slap you. I've explained to you why that is, and hopefully you can take this information and utilize it to make better and more reasoned arguments. Good evening, sir

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked