Dark Souls - More like Dark Trolls

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I was watching this and I was thinking that they are quite a few instances in the game where I feel that it is just outright trolling me.

Not just being hard nor unfair; but outright trolling me.
This becomes significantly evident when playing the game in New Game+ where the enemy is so ridiculously powerful that they can one-hit-kill you with little difficulty.
But they are a lot of other moments in the game that really makes the presence of the trollface obvious

* Enemy projectiles can CURVE in mid-air to home in on you

Even though you are using the SAME weapon as they are, their version of the spell/arrow has homing ability to correct their trajectory in mid-air and hit you. This becomes mostly evident against the Silver Arrow Knight c*cksuckers at Anor Londo spamming you with the Dragon Bow - the most powerful bow in the game. Not to even mention the Bloathead Scorcerers in Oocile that can deal insane ammounts of damage with their projectile spell. Oh, and fuck the crystal archers in Dukes Archive too

* Enemy autoaims/glitchy hitboxes

Some enemies/bosses can autotrack you, which means that even if you dodge their attack they can WHILE swinging the weapon; autoadjust its swing so that it hits you anyway. This is particulary true to the behavior of some Dark Knights such as Rock Havel but also other bosses. It means that unless you are doing pixel-perfect timing when doding you are going to take a hit.
There's also some bosses who has some really peculiar hitboxes in the game. It means that even though you clearly manage to avoid its attack you are still going to take a hit. Ceaseless Discharge comes to mind; even if you manage to roll away serveral meters away from his tentacle
you are gonna get hit anyway and Ceaseless Discharge on top of that is one of the bosses in the game that can kill you in ONE hit.

* The Skeleton Dogs in Tombs of the Giants

They are the bane of my existence. These fuckers have a special attack that ignores both your shield and armor that one-hit kills you. Oh, and they use that special attack over and over and over again. The damage these fuckers output is larger than any boss in the game, oh and you are fighting SERVERAL of them... IN THE DARK WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT... AT ONCE... The troll is strong with this one

* Ornstein and Smough

'Nuff said.
Not only do you need to kill one of them, you will need to kill the other fucker that has enhanced strength and TWICE as much health as before, oh and they can one-shot you with ease.

* Farming

Dark Souls has no grinding thankfully, but if you are to get your gear in top-notch state then you need to farm for tatinite.
I spent hours farming for Tatinite Slabs that only drop from the freakin' Darkwraith for hours, even with Item Discovery maxed out to 410 I've been farming them for hours and yet no Slabs what so ever.
Fuck that shit

People seem to think Knight Artorias is a bitch but I never had much difficulty with him nor Manus, nor with Blighttown except for the shitty framerate.

So, where do you think this game trolls you?

Well only the chosen ones are worthy to beat DS in new game plus, so if you have trouble there, you're obviously not good enough, not a true gamer, and should simply hang your head in shame and submit to the ridicule of the aforementioned chosen ones.

Of course they won't ridicule you openly, but around here the standard practice is that if you don't like some things Dark Souls does, its fans will go on and on about how it's all your fault.

Use the search bar for past DS threads to see what I mean.

i found NG+ easy, well not easy but not as hard as 1st playthrough, just wait till u play NG+++

CyberAkuma:
*snip*

Forgive me, but aren't you the guy who some months ago made another thread for the sole purpose of trying to convince everyone that Dark Souls is a bad game and no one really gave a shit?

So are you actually out to have a somewhat light hearted, good natured ribbing about the game being hard or have you simply dug up that poor dead horse three months later so you can give it a few more whacks?

Vegosiux:
Of course they won't ridicule you openly, but around here the standard practice is that if you don't like some things Dark Souls does, its fans will go on and on about how it's all your fault.

Yeah what this guy said, it's totally your fault :P

Seriously though, for every cheap tactic an enemy wields, there are equal opportunities for you to exploit the AI and surroundings to your advantage. Ornstein and Smough is an absolute cake walk in this regard: with a decent lightening weapon, Smough goes down in round one, like a sack of shit due to his extreme weakness to lightening. Then Ornstein is very easy to AI loop if you stay close to him. The only attack you have to watch out for is his butt slam. Aside from that, hug the shit out of his leg so his spear impaling attacking can't hit you and you're set.

Vivi22:

CyberAkuma:
*snip*

Forgive me, but aren't you the guy who some months ago made another thread for the sole purpose of trying to convince everyone that Dark Souls is a bad game and no one really gave a shit?

So are you actually out to have a somewhat light hearted, good natured ribbing about the game being hard or have you simply dug up that poor dead horse three months later so you can give it a few more whacks?

Yep, same guy. And I'd bet the latter option, knowing these forums.

I've been playing it for a few days now and the game seems stupidly easy. Hell I had a harder time with the witcher 2. I think maybe people are just terrible gamers. They should likely go back to playing planets vs zombies or something. /sarcasm

Well since apparently you're just on a Dark Souls hate parade I guess all I can say is lrn 2 paly nub.

CyberAkuma:
I was watching this

* Ornstein and Smough

*Yes, Soul Arrows do track you, it's not a enemy thing since yours do the same thing if you are locked. There are other ways to deal with the Anor Londo snipers, you could get poison arrows and a good bow and shoot them from a far.

*Only seen Havel the Rock change his swing in order to hit you, I don't think is a glitch though. And the Ceaseless Discharger is easy if you use the scripted death, after I learned that I always go kill him after killing Quelaag to get some more souls

*You only need to fight one, you can make some jumps and skip most of them.

*Use the fucking pillars, they are stupid and they try to attack you trough them and you get the chance to recover a bit. They "Super" version are jokes, if you are fighting Super Smough you just keep your distance and hit him when you can, and if you are fighting Super Ornstein just go under his legs, he won't be able to do shit about it.

Huh. The Londo archers are really easy once you learn what to do. And Siskel and Ebert ain't so tough if you target Ebert first. Big Siskel is a joke. My big obstacle is The Sanctuary Guardian. He is the biggest troll. "You paid 20$ to access my area? Hahaha. Nope."

It seems like it's almost as fashionable to hate Dark Souls as it is to love it nowadays.

Yeah NG+ is freaking hard and is what I call a true NG+ with harder difficulty not just slightly more difficult to offset the player characters level and power, alot of players who cheesed the first playthrough and found it to be easy are often in for a shock :)

While I love Dark Souls I feel that it could quickly become a parody of itself. It seems like Bamco / From are pumping lots of money and staff into the sequel, IE turning it into a true AAA that needs 5 mill to break even game. The fact they ousted the original creator and it is making the same mistakes as SEGA did with 3D Sonic in believing their own PR mantra. Sonic's PR manta was speed. Dark Souls is the deaths and the eye candy. This could very well blow up in From's face if they just boil down the game into 2 or 3 core elements rather than building an allround MINIMALIST masterpiece that the original was imo. Even Miyazaki has gone on record as regretting pushing the "prepare to die" slogan so much and he could be right.

synobal:
I've been playing it for a few days now and the game seems stupidly easy. Hell I had a harder time with the witcher 2. I think maybe people are just terrible gamers. They should likely go back to playing planets vs zombies or something. /sarcasm

Much of DS difficulty especially in the 1st playthrough is knowledge based especially if you nail dodging, parries etc off the bat, And if you've read a few DS threads here, you will have read plenty of spoilers. It's worth noting that each time the game has been patched in the past it has been made easier, so much so that there is a big difference in difficulty from launch as there is now. My advice is to ignore OP weapons and use a buckler that forces you to parry and dodge, or if you don't mind playing offline, play the game unpatched and you will get alot less drops and homeward bones.

Sorry to call you on your complete fucking bullshit but there is not a single boss in the entire game that can one shot you. Boss damage scales based on your max health so that can never happen.

You complaints mostly sound like you suck at dodging.

Vegosiux:

You see it a lot because its always true. The thing about dark souls is that it is designed to never be cheap. It always gives you fair warning for every trap it is about to pull if you pay attention and the enemies all telegraph their moves from three miles away.

Little Gray:

You see it a lot because its always true. The thing about dark souls is that it is designed to never be cheap. It always gives you fair warning for every trap it is about to pull if you pay attention and the enemies all telegraph their moves from three miles away.

I'm sorry, but that's wishful thinking. Tell me, how did I see "telegraphed from three miles away" that wheel skeletons were going to defy the conservation of momentum and instead of bouncing off my shield, kill me.

Sure, I could dodge them, but I didn't see "telegraphed from three miles away" that blocking them would just get me killed if I decided to do that instead. What was there to "telegraph me from three miles away" that dodging them is the only reliable way to counter them, and blocking wasn't going to work? After all, I could reasonably go "Hmmm, they're rollin' against me, I put up my shield, laws of physics dictate that they bounce off it." Tell me where it was telegraphed that the laws of physics were going to get breached there.

Vegosiux:

I'm sorry, but that's wishful thinking. Tell me, how did I see "telegraphed from three miles away" that wheel skeletons were going to defy the conservation of momentum and instead of bouncing off my shield, kill me.

Sure, I could dodge them, but I didn't see "telegraphed from three miles away" that blocking them would just get me killed if I decided to do that instead. What was there to "telegraph me from three miles away" that dodging them is the only reliable way to counter them, and blocking wasn't going to work? After all, I could reasonably go "Hmmm, they're rollin' against me, I put up my shield, laws of physics dictate that they bounce off it." Tell me where it was telegraphed that the laws of physics were going to get breached there.

Well actually as long as your shield isnt complete shit you can block the wheel skeletons just fine.

I dont know why the hell you would expect the laws of physics to always apply in Dark Souls when you are constantly breaking it throughout the game.

Little Gray:

I dont know why the hell you would expect the laws of physics to always apply in Dark Souls when you are constantly breaking it throughout the game.

Willing suspension of disbelief. It doesn't have to be realistic, but it has to be believable. And unless I have an explicit reason that things work differently in a specific case, I will not find it believable when they don't.

Honestly if you think Dark Souls is trolling you then I doubt you ever played Demon's Souls where the game actually does troll you quite often.

I didn't bother going into NG+. Everything I learned seemed to indicate that it would be exactly the same but longer. Unless I wanted to try something different, maybe use some of those weapons and armor I'd collected but weren't able to use in my first playthrough, in which case it would have taken much, much longer. Since that was the only thing I had to look forward to, I realized there was absolutely no advantage of NG+ over just starting the game over with a new character.

I did notice the enemy auto-aiming thing, though. Seriously, I hated the Duke's Archives enough as is, without those goddamned archers using heatseeking arrows. My only consolation was that their arrows moved slower than mine, and I could see and shoot farther, but that wasn't much consolation in that godsforsaken hellhole.

Diablo2000:

CyberAkuma:
I was watching this

* Ornstein and Smough

*Yes, Soul Arrows do track you, it's not a enemy thing since yours do the same thing if you are locked. There are other ways to deal with the Anor Londo snipers, you could get poison arrows and a good bow and shoot them from a far.

*Only seen Havel the Rock change his swing in order to hit you, I don't think is a glitch though. And the Ceaseless Discharger is easy if you use the scripted death, after I learned that I always go kill him after killing Quelaag to get some more souls

*You only need to fight one, you can make some jumps and skip most of them.

*Use the fucking pillars, they are stupid and they try to attack you trough them and you get the chance to recover a bit. They "Super" version are jokes, if you are fighting Super Smough you just keep your distance and hit him when you can, and if you are fighting Super Ornstein just go under his legs, he won't be able to do shit about it.

That is what I thought. I managed to defeat Ornstein/Smough Naked with Fists. They aren't that difficult of bosses once you learn their moves and avoid them. Hell, the first time I fought the Capra Demon, I got my ass handed to me. Today, I defeated him on my first try. Surprisingly I also died three times on the Gaping Dragon when every other time I managed to defeat the fucker on my first tries per game as well.

I'm surprised he didn't mention illusory walls. Screw that idea.

CyberAkuma:

Even though you are using the SAME weapon as they are, their version of the spell/arrow has homing ability to correct their trajectory in mid-air and hit you. This becomes mostly evident against the Silver Arrow Knight c*cksuckers at Anor Londo spamming you with the Dragon Bow - the most powerful bow in the game. Not to even mention the Bloathead Scorcerers in Oocile that can deal insane ammounts of damage with their projectile spell. Oh, and fuck the crystal archers in Dukes Archive too

No they dont. Ive gone as far as new game+8 and Ive yet to see projectiles curve while in midair. They track you to the position you were at when fired, they dont move while in flight. If you get hit by something after moving then you didnt move far enough or you're experiencing some kind of lag. There are lots of frame drops in the game on consoles or with old PC hardware so this isnt uncommon, though what is uncommon is those enemies would be present in the areas that commonly drop frames (i.e. Blighttown).

CyberAkuma:

Some enemies/bosses can autotrack you, which means that even if you dodge their attack they can WHILE swinging the weapon; autoadjust its swing so that it hits you anyway. This is particulary true to the behavior of some Dark Knights such as Rock Havel but also other bosses. It means that unless you are doing pixel-perfect timing when doding you are going to take a hit.
There's also some bosses who has some really peculiar hitboxes in the game. It means that even though you clearly manage to avoid its attack you are still going to take a hit. Ceaseless Discharge comes to mind; even if you manage to roll away serveral meters away from his tentacle
you are gonna get hit anyway and Ceaseless Discharge on top of that is one of the bosses in the game that can kill you in ONE hit.

Again you are incorrect. I suspect what you are experiencing is when you dodge before the attack comes and it hits you. This is not how the game works, you have to dodge/riposte during the attack animation to avoid them and then with some attacks there is dead angling to consider. For some wide swinging weapons like Greatswords, the longsword, and others if you dodge close to your opponent the swing will still connect because youre in its arc.

As far as boss attacks such as the Asylum demon sometimes if an attack has a big enough area it will hit you from behind. This is part of knowing the limitations and abilities of the boss and overcoming them.

CyberAkuma:

They are the bane of my existence. These fuckers have a special attack that ignores both your shield and armor that one-hit kills you. Oh, and they use that special attack over and over and over again. The damage these fuckers output is larger than any boss in the game, oh and you are fighting SERVERAL of them... IN THE DARK WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT... AT ONCE... The troll is strong with this one

More myths. Every skeleton dog can be killed in a solo fight if you take your time. Taking your time to observe and plan is one of the key points of the game. They do not have an unblockable attack either, let alone one that 1 shots you. They have a stand up and fall on you attack, that can be blocked. They have a triple bite attack, that can be blocked. They have a normal swing attack, that can be blocked. They dont have any unblockable attacks that Ive ever seen. Video proof or it didnt happen

You can also see fine if you use the skull lantern (although that takes a shield/weapon slot), sunlight maggot (takes a head slot), or with just 14 intelligence and 10 attunement you could use the cast light spell to see fine.

That said they are a pain in the butt. Ill give you that

CyberAkuma:

* Ornstein and Smough

'Nuff said.
Not only do you need to kill one of them, you will need to kill the other fucker that has enhanced strength and TWICE as much health as before, oh and they can one-shot you with ease.

What conditions are you in where you're getting 1 shot? This might, and I stress might, happen during a level 1 playthrough or with base endurance and light armor. Its not going to happen to anyone with decent endurance no matter what kind of armor youre in.

Ive heard this one shot myth before but never seen it happen myself or seen it happen in a lets play. Ive played as far as New game+8 and Ive yet to see normal mobs 1 shot me. You know what? Im just going to throw down the gauntlet, show us this mythical 1 shotting that you say is so prevelant in the game. Make us a video, show us your stats before it happens and go get one shot. Till I see that Im calling that for what it is, nonsense

CyberAkuma:

People seem to think Knight Artorias is a bitch but I never had much difficulty with him nor Manus, nor with Blighttown except for the shitty framerate.

I dont. I dont think the game trolls us at all because the entire games design is tough but fair. There are a few questionable design choices like the entire bed of chaos fight but trolling? No, I dont think so

That said, I think youre trying to troll the dark souls community by putting up so many myths and to that I say video proof or this stuff didnt happen

Edit: You know I was curious so I went through CyberAkuma's posting history and saw he made this thread http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.397964-Why-Dark-Souls-isnt-a-good-game-a-Hardcore-gamers-reaction-to-first-playthrough?page=1

In it he lied about being a new dark souls player because weeks later he talked about how he "loved" the game while criticizing its lack of a pause feature. Clearly he just has a grudge against the game but Im still going to call him on his nonsense about the mechanics of the game

CyberAkuma:

* Ornstein and Smough

* Use your shield. It's there for a reason, unless you deliberately are not using one. Then dodge. Or even move. Arrows are slow. Even when you're fighting Silver Knights with Dragon Bows, simply moving to the side will be enough to dodge their arrows(in the case of the two Silver Knights guarding your first-time entrance, simply keep moving and they'll continue to miss).

* Havel does track, but with just one move. And the wind up is enormous. Not to mention that if you keep moving, Havel is still going to miss, whether he's tracking you or not. Circle strafe the shit outta him, he's as bad as the Crapra Demon about it. As for Ceaseless Discharge, the only swing you truly need to be careful about is when his arm is on fire. His wind-up is also pretty long, so keep moving and dodge before he swings and he'll miss.

* Skeleton Dogs do not ignore your shield nor your armor. They deal quite a bit of damage but you can still block their combo attack. I know, I do it all the time. And seldom is it their opening move, so murder them with 2H attacks before they get the chance. Pyromancy is also super effective(given that any character can wield it, there's little to no reason not to have it). Or if you're daring, you can move toward a cliff and dodge out of the way when the dog lunges at you. It'll lunge its ass right off the cliff.

* No light in the Tomb of the Giants? Get a Skull Lantern. It's a guaranteed drop from the last Necromancer in the Catacombs. There's also a chance any Necromancer can drop one. There's also one sitting in the Tomb, provided you can get to it. Or you can wear a Sunlight Maggot as a hat and it provides a constant light source. Or if you're a Sorcerer, use Cast Light and it gives you same effect as a Sunlight Maggot, just temporarily. Also, save for the archers, you can see anything and everything in the Tomb of the Giants long before they'll attack you. So you can easily prepare.

* Focus on just one or the other. Ornstein or Smough. They recover to full health once one or the other is dead, so it's to your disadvantage to attack both of them. Neither one of them are particularly difficult to dodge. And as another user said, simply stand on the other side of a pillar and they'll attempt to attack you through it which gives you a moment to either catch your breath or get an attack in.

If you think Dark Souls is hard and trolls you to bits, I suggest not attempting to play Demon's Souls. Much harder game.

Edit: Several grammatical and wording errors have been rectified. Shows me for not proof-reading my shit before posting it.

Enemies being able to strike through walls. It's not so noticeable on small enemies but when there's big enemies like a titanite demon for example a it swings it's weapon through a wall and hits me rather than recoiling like I do, I call bulls**t every time.

Vegosiux:

Little Gray:

Bone Wheels can be blocked, just like Giant Skeleton Dogs can be blocked. Get a halfway decent shield and pump more than 20 Endurance and they're entirely blockable. Either hope to get lucky and find a Black Knight Shield or alternatively upgrade a Spider Shield. Hell, I block them with Heater Shields. I'm sorry, but they aren't quite as difficult and OP as you're painting them.

Which New Game Plus are you talking about? The first one?

Yeah, it takes some getting accustomed to. If you just zipped through the game the first time around, it will feel - and quite probably be - much harder. If you took your time to get good at handling (and upgrading) your favourite weapon and gear, memorizing distances and maybe even perfect the art of parry-riposte, it will be much, much easier.

The darkness is not that impenetrable. There are at least three proper solutions to that one problem, and then there's always fatalism. Just map the area by running in one direction. Resort to age-old maze/labyrinth/dungeon basics. Hug the wall. That's the thing that blocks you rather than inviting you to fall to your death. The first time around, everything is lethal and brutal and not quite fair. Once you've seen it all, it's all about memorizing... well, everything. That's why ploughing through ranks of enemies, dropping them all without getting so much as sneezed upon so very, very rewarding.

Besides, since dying is basically free and your status as the guy with the halo Darksign gives you infinite lives for as long as you don't hurl yourself out of the window, you're really just invited to figure things out. If one approach does not work, try another. If nothing works, start right back at the beginning again. Maybe there was something you missed. I think it's absolutely alright to start out dying a lot. As you progress through the game, though, perfection is pretty much your bestest friend.

in hundreds of hours of playthroughs, walkthroughs, strollthroughs and free walkabouts, I've only killed one NPC so far. Because, when it happened, it was an absolute accident. The reaction I got was so freaking disturbing it put me well off trying that again... ever. It's not nice going for a little shopping of basic resources and tools of the (killing) trade with a smile on your face only to end up getting cursed to bits in glorious surround sound, and then finding your friendly deadface lying on the floor, being gnawed on by rats. Shop's closed. Come back next life. That's bound to make one feel bad, methinks.

Yeah, even though Dark Souls somehow ended up being favoured by me, it has to be said that Demon's Souls is significantly more harsh... and it's got way more of that Ctulhu zinging factor, really making you wish you'd be a better, calmer, more intelligent and more patient person. If Dark Souls put you in your place in a manner you feel is demeaning, Demon's Souls is bound to see you getting institutionalized. I know I couldn't believe some of the more or less elegant solutions to problems that absolutely destroyed me, because I plain didn't get it or was unable to think outside the box when it really mattered. After Demon's Souls, Dark Souls felt like a dumbed down, merry-go-depressed sequel to Tomb Raider.

Oh, I just caught myself exaggerating a bit there. Just a bit, though.

I'm really not sure why everyone has an issue with Ornstein and Smough. It was an intense fight and all but I finished it in my 3rd or so try. No phantoms summoned, dex/str/end pure. Maybe I just got lucky.

Anathrax:
I'm really not sure why everyone has an issue with Ornstein and Smough. It was an intense fight and all but I finished it in my 3rd or so try. No phantoms summoned, dex/str/end pure. Maybe I just got lucky.

I think it might be a combination of not knowing the nuances of the game as a new player, and the stress of having two enemies capable of 2-3 shotting you coming at you at once. It took me about 10 times or so I think, but then again I went in blind and didn't upgrade enough stuff. Little things like upgrading weapons and weapon buffs make a huge difference for many boss fights. Heck, you can win a fight with the 4 kings at level one with just the bandits knife and charcoal pine resin.

Windcaler:

CyberAkuma:

No they dont. Ive gone as far as new game+8 and Ive yet to see projectiles curve while in midair.

I have. I can't speak for the other things (my framerate wasn't good enough for me to tell whether melee attacks would track me, and I tended to cheese the catacomb dogs and Oscar & Hammerstein at range), but the curving arrows were something I also noticed which pissed me off. For me, it was specifically the archers in the Duke's Archives, their arrows will track you like a sorcerer's soul arrows, so I tended to get hit if I dodged early or just tried to sidestep.

I kind of assumed it was because their arrows are so slow that they'd never hit me otherwise, but it was still annoying.

Anathrax:

I can see why other people might have had a problem that I didn't. I won on my second try, because I just took the tactic of peppering them with arrows. And I would have won on my first try if I hadn't dodged backwards into a column and taken a Super Smuff Lightning Hammer to the noggin.

If you're getting one-shotted by anything you're probably playing wrong.
Get some heavy armor, get a good shield, get a spear.
That is how you play properly.
Dodging is for chumps.

Souplex:
If you're getting one-shotted by anything you're probably playing wrong.
Get some heavy armor, get a good shield, get a spear.
That is how you play properly.
Dodging is for chumps.

YOU'RE A CHUMP.
It's different playstyle, some like sitting around blocking with the shield and others like to dodge dragons with backflips. I chose the latter.

Anathrax:

O&S is "luck" dependent on the moves they do and in which order, I killed them in first go when I got to them with a +15 lightning claymore (yes yes I know pre-1.05 weapon). Even skilled players can fail against them if they are unlucky.
It took much longer on NG+, 4 tries or so, where I somehow managed to kill Knight Artorius in first go which is not something I saw myself doing.

I enjoyed Dark Souls a fair bit, took some effort to get in to and felt very chore-like at times, but it's a solid game and a 7/10 for me. The game kinda kills it's greatest selling point - the "wow" bosses - by turning them into old-school pattern-chores.

The main "trolling" points I had were the Hydra Boss - Screwed without ranged weapons and that deathly ledge in the water which you can't see, and the accidental killing/stabbing of NPC's resulting in major ballache collecting souls to be absolved or restarting the game.

Exius Xavarus:

Bone Wheels can be blocked, just like Giant Skeleton Dogs can be blocked. Get a halfway decent shield and pump more than 20 Endurance and they're entirely blockable. Either hope to get lucky and find a Black Knight Shield or alternatively upgrade a Spider Shield. Hell, I block them with Heater Shields. I'm sorry, but they aren't quite as difficult and OP as you're painting them.

I didn't say they were difficult, I said they were cheap. And indeed, once I went "Well fuck it, I'll just dodge these things" they were pretty much dead-bones. But, as I said, I didn't see "from three miles away" that dodging is the more reliable course of action, so this "Oh but DS is fair" is just hogwash. And it doesn't have anything to do with difficulty in the first place, the game in general isn't exactly "difficult" once you get past the clunky controls (M&K, and don't tell me to "just play with a controller" because if I wanted to play with a controller, I'd get a console) and once you know what you're doing, it's not really "difficult".

Capitano Segnaposto:

That is what I thought. I managed to defeat Ornstein/Smough Naked with Fists. They aren't that difficult of bosses once you learn their moves and avoid them. Hell, the first time I fought the Capra Demon, I got my ass handed to me. Today, I defeated him on my first try. Surprisingly I also died three times on the Gaping Dragon when every other time I managed to defeat the fucker on my first tries per game as well.

This is what it's all about, and why so many crybabies whine on about Dark Souls.

Progression. Not just numerical progression; PERSONAL progression. You can be running around in full Giants armour with a +5 Chaos weapon, but if YOU haven't gotten better you will still be minced by bosses and most enemies.

It encourages learning, thinking ahead and caution, rather than the apparent norm in RPGs these days to just waltz through unhindered for the entire journey. That's why I liked The Witcher 2 as well - It didn't dick around from the start, and I was forced to improve myself and think to even get out of the tutorial, which was great. The result? A feeling of self-improvement, and a more satisfying gameplay structure.

Dark Souls pulls the same sort of thing, with most fights being new experiences in some way and each area bringing new obstacles for YOU to overcome.

Plus, the numerical progression is pretty good too. The GT video at the start of this thread posits that those Skeletons at the graveyard are particularly troll-y. No, that's bull, and here's why:

The game world in Souls is harsh and unforgiving. You can't just wander into an area and succeed. It's designed to look easy and appealing as a path only for you to find out you can't handle it as you are. That may well be your first proper experience of the world - You are not a god. You are not free to wander aimlessly and be safe. There are dangers everywhere, and while this is obviously a path you will take, you are not ready. It doesn't pop up in some screen, some omnipotent NPC doesn't psychically message you, and no invisible wall pops up. It teaches you by handing your ass to you, which makes the drive to explore even stronger.

Sadly, the paradigm shift in gaming in recent years seems to have eroded that sense of future achievement and challenge away, so people cry out that "Oooh, skeleton path is trolling! Waaaah it was my first experience in DS, I'm not playing anymore! :'(" instead of thinking "I'm going to come back here later and cut you skinny bastards up". When you return to it later in the game with your earned skills and knowledge and shiny new gear, you feel a genuine sense of achievement and satisfaction when slaying them.

I still feel giddy when I fight through Blighttown, Crystal Palace or bosses like Ornstein/Smough with no trouble because I improved.

Little Gray:

Vegosiux:

Well actually as long as your shield isnt complete shit you can block the wheel skeletons just fine.

The problem I found with the Wheel Skeletons was that they left my stamina really drained to actually attack, and there were usually a few of them on my ass at once.

Little Gray:
Sorry to call you on your complete fucking bullshit but there is not a single boss in the entire game that can one shot you. Boss damage scales based on your max health so that can never happen.
You complaints mostly sound like you suck at dodging.

* Bed of Chaos is pretty much a death sentence once you get hit

* Serveral bosses can stun-lock on you every hit making the first hit pretty much an insta kill
This happened to me with Artorias, Bed of Chaos, Capra Demon etc.

* Both butt-slams on Ornstein and Smogh in enhanced formed are insta-kill

* Ceaseless Discharge tentacle attacks can instakill you. And on top of that he can breathe fire through walls so the moment you think you have time enough to re-heal, BAM! - you are dead.

* Kalameets flames are all insta kill if they stun lock you and his AoE can hit you serveral times killing you instantly if you are under him
Also, if you are affected by his de-buff spell, all his moves are insta-kill

* One of Manus spells is pretty much instakill unless you use the Silver Amulet.

I could go on and on but my point is very clear - they are serveral bosses as well as enemies that have insta-kill moves.
I am not making this up.

I experienced all these on New Game+ when I'm at level 122 with full heavy armor AND using the ring of steel and protection.

Oh - regarding the Skeleton Dogs.
On the Dark Souls wiki this is listed:

[Quote]The main danger of these enemies lies in their forward flurry attack that has significant range and seems to ignore all armour other than shield (need confirmation, but regardless the damage is insane). It is sometimes possible to block all the damage from this attack (eating most of your stamina) by facing at the right angle with your shield up, but it seems that the attack can sometimes reach around the shield, dealing very heavy damage.[/quote]

Even with heavy armor and the ring of Steel Protection their charge flurry move is instant death if it connects.
I have on many occations tried to block their attacks and the result is always the same, the attack is so powerful that it drains my stamina instantly, shield is dropped and I take the one-hit-kill instantly resulting in death. Their bites usually stunlocks me so if the first connects; all of the 4 ones will connect resulting in death.

I had huge problems with them in Normal Game as well in New Game+.
I tried using a Fire Murakumo +10 but regardless it takes 2 hits to kill them.
So I prefer using the Black Knight Halbard +5 that also kills them in 2 hits but gives me a slightly better range.

They are still the cheapest enemy in the game in my opinion and I hate them with a passion.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked