Game issues you're sick of hearing about

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I'll admit, one of my pet peeves is someone or some people keep repeating on an issue over and over till they beat that issue to the ground, and it's nothing but microscopic atoms. One issue is with the upcoming Fuse. You know, that game Insomniac original had called Overstrike, till the drained the color and it's now a more griddier third person co-op game? I'm still looking forward to it, even if it doesn't have the same charm as the original. However, I'm so sick and tired of people STILL being upset and saying stuff like "boo, this game sucks because it doesn't have any color" or "shit, EA stuck again(even though Insomniac said it was there decision, people love to think EA still had something to do)." I get it, EA is evil and Fuse doesn't have any Color. I'm just sick and tired of people already declaring it the worst thing ever. What issue are sick and tired of hearing about in the games industry? Constant Sequels ruining creativity? Mass Effect 3's ending? Sexism?

I'm sick of hearing accusations of casualisation and comparisons to Call of Duty every time a game franchise does something different.

The whole "dumbing down for casuals" thing reeks of self important pretentiousness and smug superiority; every time I hear someone say it I automatically add him to my extermination list for when stage 19 subsection C of my world domination plan comes to fruition.

EA hate in general.They suck, we get it, move on. Just don't buy their games.

And CoD hate. It really smacks to me of trying to dislike something popular just to try and make yourself sound underground. You don't, you sound like a prat.

I realise they're more people issues than game issues, but whatevor.

Bad storytelling...yes, we know. But when a good story comes, the game suffers from gameplay/story segregation.
Often times, better mechanics and better game feel can bring out emotions much better than a voiced narrative and set pieces.

- All the EA hate. They're not perfect, but they're not evil.

- "But the next gen consoles won't have backward compatibility" - So freakin' what? Pissed you can't trade in your old system to buy the new one? Tough! I'd rather have a great new console and relocate my old ones to another room.

- "Killing the Used Games Industry" aka Online Passes aka Exclusive Content - Again, so? Developers bust their ass on AAA titles for the same retail price people were paying in the 1980s (which $60 then is like $100 now). I don't blame them for wanting to find a way to where they get paid for their work. I think the Online Pass (where you need a code to get to some of the features) is a good thing, because it allows used games to be sold, and if they want the extra content, they can get it.

- "Games as Art" - I hate it when "game journalists" and critics try to boost their egos with the "games are art" arguments. Games are a unique category that can't be defined the same way a movie, painting, photography or sculpture. I understand the need to want to bring "artistic credability to the industry, but many times it comes across as whining... See Adam Sessler for more details...he's one of the worst about it.

Oh. I'm also tired of all the Valve love. I don't hate them, but they're not as great as everyone seems to give them credit for. I mean a Resident Evil/Left 4 Dead crossover instead of Half-Life (episdoe) 3? Really?!

The Sexism debates. Yes, there is sexism in Video games, as in all media. Move the fuck on.

Right now the most annoying thing is people complaining about how badly gamers are treated in other media, and then stirring up an angry mob at every misstep in the industry. It's really hard to debate being called childish when the default reaction the community has is "fuck everything and everyone involved in this thing I don't like".

Opinions as facts. You think Game A is better than Game B. Well good for you, but that doesn't mean it is for everyone. You think System A is better than System B. Again, that's nice and all but that doesn't mean System B isn't the better choice for someone else.

Personally I prefer the PS3 over the 360 over the Wii over the WiiU, but if I have customers looking for a system to play games with their young kids on, the PlayStation will be the last system I'd recommend.

Mass Effect 3's ending. Get over it. I don't care what your opinion of the series was. I was disappointed, but I wasn't about to hold a grudge over it.

The death of used games being a bad thing. The more money devs make, the less they feel the need to screw us over with on disc DLC, tacked on multiplayer modes which detract from the single player's quality *coughME3cough* and the like.
Bad writing. Especially with no actual examples of said bad writing.
DRM. Maybe I'm just more tolerant than most people, but please, get the fuck over it. It's a minor inconvenience at worst.
Sexism. Maybe there'd be more women in the industry if they didn't keep hearing about how awful it is for them.
Objectification. I see nothing wrong with it. Sure, the Witcher's sex cards were a little much, but I think idealised body shapes are a-ok.
Sequels not being as good as the original. The original was shit, quit being nostalgic.
Mass Effect 3. It was a good game.
Blizzard. They're awesome and they care about the quality of their games more than most devs, quit saying otherwise.
Pokemon. It is and always will be great.

"It doesn't stand up to today's standards". It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's used for older games (as in released less than 10 years ago...) which are somehow "bad" because they...well, "don't stand up to today's standards". I can happily play a game, mostly regardless of when it came out (well...OK, if it was at least from the 90s, I might hit a few bumps on earlier ones) and still be amazed of what it has to offer. I played some Earth 2160 (which is...an RTS, let's say) and in the beginning of the campaign, I had to shoot a boulder, which then rolled downhill. My reaction was "Oh, cool dynamic objects - I really like that", and not "Oh...well, we have whole physics engines in charge of every molecule in games, therefore, this doesn't impress me". And I am led to believe that there are people who'd react like that. Attacking a game for what technology years in advance can do better just seems stupid.

Now, let me say that it could be a valid argument, if it's reworked - bad UI, for example, is a complaint that can be held against some old games. Confusing or unintuitive UI would always be confusing or unintuitive. Arcanum, for instance, has some buttons and stuff that don't have tooltips pop up, instead, you're expected to look up the manual. Ugh. Not too bad, though, but it is mildly annoying, at least. Alternatively, one can criticise a game comparing it to today's standards if it was made today and it did fell short from applicable standards. So, Hotline Miami gets no negative points from not looking like Crysis, but War Z does score some for the ridiculous falling damage. I tend to measure games to something more realistic they can stand up to, not what they cannot.

If I have to hear one more word about the Mass Effect 3 ending I'm going to murder someone. If it was just confined to forum threads and comments sections related to that topic I'd be fine, but no. You can't bring up Mass Effect at all, for any reason, without the discussion being dominated by people going over the same unresolvable arguments over and over and over again.

Racism and sexism. I'm tired of hearing these all the time in general really. If you are so not victimized by racism/sexism that you don't have enough REAL issues of racism/sexist to fight against and can take the time to raise hell over the perceived racism/sexism in fictional media, your side has pretty much already won the fight.

"Always On" anything, be it DRM or consoles.
They should have gotten rid of the entire idea a long time ago and fired whoever came up with it.

accusing something of being a rip-off for having the standard gameplay elements of a certain genre. This happens a lot with the hack and slash games, where every game that has Light/heavy attack and collect experience with a fixed camera is called a God of war rip off. Yeah GoW is a solid example of H&S but, it wasn't the first game, and is not the best, imo. I hate it when this is screamed by a reveal of a new game, because it damages the image of the game really badly, when it doesn't deserve that.

The console-pc 'war'. I swear every day each side comes up with another stupid reason why 'they' are better.

I mean, where does that place people like me who favor both?

Microtransactions and lots of dlc. I've played a few games with microtransactions and dlc, I've never had to spend a single cent to get a good, fun, and complete gaming experience. Have I spent money on DLC's? Yeah I've spent good money on games like Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect, because I wanted to, not because I was forced to in order to enjoy the core experience, but because I wanted to extend my gaming experience with these particular games. I've spent the 80 Microsoft pretend monies in games like Fable and Red Dead Redemption, because I wanted that extra hat or a better horse, not because I had to buy them just to find enjoyment in the game.

One thing I'm especially tired of hearing about is the Dead Space 3 microtransactions, I still hear people complaining about "Paying to win" which is stupid and wrong, I've beaten Dead Space 3 twice, never spending one penny on anything. You find ample resources to make baller ass guns just by playing the games, about 3/4's through my first playthrough I had two awesome guns that could kill most enemies in one or two hits, if you aren't lazy and stupid you'll be lousy with resources and gun parts without even having to go out of your way. And yet I still see people online whining about it, one of my friends refuses to play it because he "probably can't afford to beat it" hardy fuckin' har.

CoD is not ruining the indutry. Soulless suits who are trying to imitate its success are.

You don't have to be like every acclaimed game. So don't nag others about how wrong they are for liking their favourite game because it didn't cure your cancer.

Don't look down on classics because of their outdated tech. It is not game's fault that you were not there.

You hate games because they are popular? You are a massive tool sir.

Rose tinted nostalgia needs to die! I love my Dreamcast. I play it more often than my Xbox 360. But none of its games would stand up if released today. Hell Sonic Adventure wasn't even a good game when it was released (WORST HUBWORLD EVER!).

Let's see here...

"There are too many shooters out in the market!"

Yes, I get it. Shooters are popular. No one is forcing you to play them. There are still loads of other non-shooter games out there.

"Games are too easy now-a-days."

If by easy you mean better programmed and made more accessible than yeah. Also, I like to think that all the years you've been playing games has sorta helped with that.

"Dumbing down"

As one other person has stated, this statement just reeks of pretentiousness. Or better yet...

"Consolefied" Or whatever term it is.

This implies that people who mainly play on consoles are dumb. And that any issues a game on the PC has is because the developers created it with the console players in mind. One example would be TotalBiscuit's impression video on Defiance in which he claims that the developers made it so you can only hold two weapons at a time because of console players.

Personally, I think that's bullshit whether it's true or not. Games like the Ratchet and Clank series, Half Life 2, and Bioshock 1, games that were all on consoles, gave you the ability to choose more than two weapons. So to the people claiming it's because of console players, you're acting pretentious.

And to the developers who actually do believe console players can't handle more than two weapons, you're just making up excuses because you're too lazy to either incorporate a two weapon system into gameplay properly (like Halo's system which makes it that certain weapons are better against shields while others are better at taking down foes) or just give all the weapons to the player.

Thinking about it now, Bioshock 1 and Infinite seem to have almost complete opposite ways of handling weapons and plasmids. The first game allows you to hold all the weapons you find but only a limited amount of plasmids, while Infinite does the opposite. Huh.

I hate people complaining about how every game today is the same/there's no creativity left in the industry.

Not only does it betray that person's ignorance because they obviously don't bother to look at games outside their own tiny sphere of interest, but it also makes it painfully apparent that they're either too young or too stupid to remember the Mega Drive/SNES days when 70% of games were literally carbon-copies of Sonic or Mario, respectively.

Brockyman:
- "Killing the Used Games Industry" aka Online Passes aka Exclusive Content - Again, so? Developers bust their ass on AAA titles for the same retail price people were paying in the 1980s (which $60 then is like $100 now). I don't blame them for wanting to find a way to where they get paid for their work. I think the Online Pass (where you need a code to get to some of the features) is a good thing, because it allows used games to be sold, and if they want the extra content, they can get it.

I'd have more sympathy for developers and publishers if they didn't act like consumers exercising their rights was as bad as stealing from them. The idea that used game sales actively hurt companies bottom line is, at best, unprovable beyond any reasonable doubt, but also likely false. Constantly chasing the COD dollar and throwing piles of money at games which never stand a chance of getting them back is a far bigger problem affecting profitability than used sales could possibly hope to be.

Brockyman:
I mean a Resident Evil/Left 4 Dead crossover instead of Half-Life (episdoe) 3? Really?!

That's a false dichotomy if ever I saw one.

As for what I'm tired of: I'm sick of hearing stories about the next game that's always online being released as a broken piece of shit. How many times does it have to happen before companies and customers get the message and just stop buying into this shit?

"PC master race reporting in."
I've had enough of PC gamers flaunting their tech dicks all around acting like it negates any fun console gamers have. I'm a PC and console gamer, and it fucking pisses me off when people post their PC specs like anybody asked for them. I don't care how much better your graphics are, I like playing Skyrim/Battlefield/etc on my console more; I use my PC for games only on PC.

I also have a personal hatred for people who take review scores too seriously. I saw somebody complain about God of War: Ascension getting "bad" reviews, when the review in question was a 7. And this happens on a constant basis if a game isn't given perfect 10s across the board. Honestly, get over it, just because somebody's opinion of a game doesn't match your overly high perspective of it, doesn't make them wrong, or give you the right to put them on blast for it.

The idea that console gamers have dumbed down games pisses me off to no goddamn end.

Now, most PC gamers are cool, but every now and again you get the one asshole who sincerely believes everything wrong in the industry comes form the tastes of console gamers, and refuses to accept that dumb people buy PCs as well. That CoD is popular because of consoles (even though if you check any day on steam, CoD is in the top 10 played) and RPGs are dieing...because of consoles (When New Vegas, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Dragon Age: Origins all sold extremely well on consoles and Mass Effect started as a 360 exclusive before moving to PC).

/End Rant

That's not to say Consoles are perfect (Hell No) but PCs aren't either.

Acton Hank:
I'm sick of hearing accusations of casualisation and comparisons to Call of Duty every time a game franchise does something different.

The whole "dumbing down for casuals" thing reeks of self important pretentiousness and smug superiority; every time I hear someone say it I automatically add him to my extermination list for when stage 19 subsection C of my world domination plan comes to fruition.

Man, first response ninja'd my answer. Good show.

Nadia Castle:
Rose tinted nostalgia needs to die! I love my Dreamcast. I play it more often than my Xbox 360. But none of its games would stand up if released today. Hell Sonic Adventure wasn't even a good game when it was released (WORST HUBWORLD EVER!).

Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't hold up all that well, either. At least Sonic Adventure had the good graces to let you go through all of one character's stages in a straight pattern, rather than mixing them all together into one massive horribly-paced clusterfuck...

OT: It's not really an issue with specific games unless you define "AAA" and "Indie" as two different genres in themselves, but I'm sick of hearing all the complaining that anything with a budget over $250,000 is some "homogenized", "generic" thing that "appeals to the lowest common denominator", and that indie games are some magical revolution of innovation and freshness that would never be seen in the AAA industry.

[quote="shrekfan246" post="9.406215.16901205"].

Even the world domination part?

If so stay out of my way, the world belongs to me.

Gamelay>graphics. It really is quite ignorant, recently we have had a bunch of threads about Cevat Yerli because he dared state the obvious truth that defies the orthodoxy. People act like God of War or Mirror's Edge would be worthy of note without all the things that go into the graphics. At worst Yerli didn't use the best phrasing but the content of what he said was entirely accurate.

"EA/Activision are the devils"

No, they are not. Sure, EA fucks up time to time, and Activision can fuck up whatever they want because they have COD to fall back on, but they are companies looking for huge profits, just like every company there is. As long as consumers continue to buy their products, they have no reason to change the way they do business. Speak with your wallet if they bother you that much, but I doubt you will.

"Online passes punishes the used game consumer"

It's a measly $5 to get a pass last time I checked, and you've most likely saved around $20 on that used game purchase, or just got the game from a friend instead.

"Gah! Why is everything a sequel? Where's the originality?"

Remember that new IP some years back you tried out and really liked? Remember when you beat it, you and several thousand of your closest friends immediately started screaming for a sequel to that game? Then another one? That's probably what happened.

I do agree that there should be more new IPs with AAA marketing, but the thing is, sequels are a safe bet for big profits most of the time, profits that can go towards a new IP. Would you have Watch_Dogs if Ubisoft didn't make a lot of money from the Assassin's Creed franchise? Doubt it. However, there's always the indies.

The sexism Flamewars; Anita fucking whatserface. Move on like.

EA hate. Its desperately fucking boring. Move on.

ME3. Jesus, lets just move with our lives shall we?

Pc vs Consoles. Lets all pretend we are not 11 yrs old and MOVE ON from this tired old bullshit that goes round and around...

....Ah I feel much better now.

Good thread!!!!

'The sequel to X was streamlined and they got rid of loads of stuff.'

Yeah they probably did take stuff out, but often (not always) this is for the better. Taking my favourite series as an example. The inventory system is Mass Effect 1 was horrendus and a complete pain in the ass to manage, fast forward to ME2 and although its not as involved you still have armour and weapons to tinker around with.

Streamlining is not always for the worst.

Anything and everything having to do with Dark fucking Souls.

The people who whine about the unfairness of it are only overshadowed in their cuntyness by the fans who insist it's the most perfect game of all time.

We need a universal ban on all Dark Souls threads.

I dont know issues that arent really issues I suppose mainly because its spoken out of ignorance usually along the lines of all X is Y or X is better than Y jeeez broadest strokes or what, what happened to an open mind?

shadow skill:
Gamelay>graphics. It really is quite ignorant, recently we have had a bunch of threads about Cevat Yerli because he dared state the obvious truth that defies the orthodoxy. People act like God of War or Mirror's Edge would be worthy of note without all the things that go into the graphics. At worst Yerli didn't use the best phrasing but the content of what he said was entirely accurate.

Yes, obviously that is 100% truth. I'll no go play Minecraft to admire the beauty there. I think I might continue with some Might and Magic 7 - I've got a save I haven't booted up in a while.

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. I can't imagine playing it for anything but the looks.

Dumbing Down for the Casuals
A major complaint I've heard about Dark Souls 2, but another complaint I heard about WoW when I played. Especially with nerfs to ICC when I played. I do enjoy difficulty in games, but I think that any player should be able to experience 100% of the games content without having to hit a brick wall of frustration (A la a Lot of pre-nerf fights.

Blizzard did it great in Cataclysm with the Raid Finder. Everyone could raid, but the bosses were nerfed and are missing their super moves (You know the ones that would wipe pubs, because they never have any direction). It meant people in bad guilds could experience raiding, and get better so they could do the regular raids.

I don't have a problem with making any game more accessible. As long as it doesn't destroy the core concept of the game. Dark Souls 2 can do this by having a better tutorial than Demons Souls or Dark Souls.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked