Game issues you're sick of hearing about

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Adept Mechanicus:
Mass Effect 3's ending. Get over it. I don't care what your opinion of the series was. I was disappointed, but I wasn't about to hold a grudge over it.

Yeah pretty much this. I just wish I could have a nice easy conversation about that game without it getting buried by bitterness and hate due to that damn ending. I love that game and just wish I could actually talk about it without having a stone pitched at my head for loving it.

Hell you can be on youtube listening to a piece of music from it and you will see that ending come up.

"Company X has been hacked! Change your passwords guys!"

"Every single Call of Duty game sucks! Except for CoD4 and the original." Bullshit! There are plenty of other CoD games that are quite fantastic. World at War had a great campaign! So did the original Black Ops!!

"Games are too easy."

"Quick Saves are for the weak."

"I can't wait for this DLC!" Dude, there used to be a thing called expansions packs.

"Nine out of ten? It obviously should've gotten nine and a half." There is no end to my hate for this.

"<Dante's Inferno> is way too much like <God of War franchise> therefore it must suck."

While I'm a PC gamer at heart, any douche with way too much spare income who posts their specs in their signature, like it means something.

Women circa. 2000: "Jee-zus Cuh-rist guys, look at this neeeerd and his eh... (What do you call them? Video... what?) Vidya Gaaaaames! Heey, you'll never have a girlfriend if you go on like this!"
Women circa. 2013: "This game is sexist.", "Why are there no options for me?"

This has been said before, but every single goddamn Dark Souls fanboy calling it the best game in the universe and all others who have a different opinion obviously do not understand how it is our virtual Jesus Christ.

This probably hasn't been said before, but every single goddamn Bioshock Infinite fanboy calling it the best game in the universe and all others who have a different opinion obviously do not understand how it is our virtual Jesus Christ.

People saying that Call of Duty is ruining gaming. No, it's a game that has mastered what a very large group of people want. It's the other companies that continue trying to appeal to CoD's crowd and to their own while simultaneously trying to operate on a budget beyond what CoD does and hoping for as greater a return that's doing more damage.

Antagonism to DLC and microtransactions. I can understand if the DLC was on the disk at launch, or if you need to partake in microtransactions in order to beat the game or give yourself an unfair advantage in online play, but if they are completely optional and really only benefit those who may want the extra content and/or give themselves an easier time in singleplayer for whatever reason, then I'd say it really isn't hurting anyone. It's an interesting way to make a little extra money from those who find the content to be worth it, and it pleases those who may want it while not taking money from those who don't.

Saying games are too easy. I've had no trouble finding challenging games and sinking enough hours into them to last me until I find the next challenging game, which doesn't have to take a long time. Many games are also reasonably tough at harder difficulties. Also, in our age of digital downloads, the challenging classics are only a quick download away if we don't have access to them anymore otherwise.

"Games don't have any color!" Again, I generally have no problem finding games with color. Besides, the brown/gray color scheme genuinely works for some games.

DoctorObviously:
Women circa. 2000: "Jee-zus Cuh-rist guys, look at this neeeerd and his eh... (What do you call them? Video... what?) Vidya Gaaaaames! Heey, you'll never have a girlfriend if you go on like this!"

Jesus, are you serious?

Uhura:

DoctorObviously:

Jesus, are you serious?

Okay, while the 'circa. 2000'-part is overdone, it served to make a point. This is actually still true today. For me, there are only two kinds of women who approach gaming: the ones who think gamers are losers for very vague reasons, or the kind of entitled kooky children who suddenly want everything done in their favor because... *GASP* gaming has become mainstream and douchebags now play video games too!

I am not against the concept of women playing video games, but I think my opinion on them has been maimed a bit due to being alienated by 99% of the people of my age until gaming got mainstream. And I still got scolded for playing games because they were violent. "My god, we gotta watch DoctorObviously in the newspapers in five years or so, he's going to be the next guy who's going to shoot up his classmates." I swear to you this happened. And it's pissing me off.

Captcha: Good morning.

jackdeesface:

everythingbeeps:
Oh god, more than anything else I'm sick to death of people whining that games are too short (especially when they try to claim that this game or that is "only five hours long" when in most cases it's at least a few hours longer than that). More specifically, I'm sick of people assigning hard dollar values to each hour a game lasts in order to determine "value".

While I agree that having an arbitrary formula to denote dollar to hour seems silly, I don't think this is without merit. Its becoming a lot worse as far as I've noticed with developers increased focus on multiplayer over single player. As someone who doesn't play multiplayer this essentially means my content in the game is being vastly reduced. Then again, I don't replay games, I never have re-read books or re-watched movies either.

If I buy a DVD for 15 and I moan that the film isn't over 3 hours long without mentioning anything else to do with the film am i being a prat? Yes. If I buy a DVD for 15 and the film is 10 minutes long, I don;t care how good the cinematography and acting were for those ten minuites. BECAUSE IT WAS ONLY TEN FREAKIN MINUTES!

Stop doing that. I just said that annoys me. You think you're going to change my mind? You think you aren't making the same exact argument everyone else does?

Why are you talking about DVDs? We're talking about video games, not movies. Different experiences. Variable lengths. And they don't sell ten minute movies for 15. So knock off the hyperbole. It never works. Especially when I specifically complained about the people who whine about "all the five hour games out there." Which is like...almost none of the games.

If you don't play multiplayer games or replay games ever, then you simply shouldn't be buying certain games. Don't blow your money and then complain about it after the fact. None of these developers lied to you.

In any case, I'm not having this argument here. That's not what this topic is about.

- Consoles are somehow holding PC games back - boo fucking hoo. Graphics ain't everything kids.

- Sexism issues. If there ever was a dead horse to beat, this is it folks.

Mourning_Star:
"PC master race reporting in."

Yup - that one line is quite grating.

graphics>gameplay. oh god i just hate this line more than anything else. hearing it just makes me see the guy as someone who knows nothing of games. if the game handles like ass and plays like ass who give a fuck if it has better than reality graphics? the only form of graphics acceptable to me is the form that makes the atmosphere. other than that i dont give a shit of how other things look.

sexism. seriously move on guys!

People complaining about game endings. I don't know if that trend started with Mass Effect 3, but it's really annoying and bizarre. Every other game that gets released seems to stir up the ending-hating crowd, as if the writers in the industry were suffering an epidemic of badendingitis since 2012. Heck, Yahtzee even wrote an entire article about Bioshock Infinite's ending now (not that I've read it - I'm avoiding spoilers for that game religiously).

The EA hate: if you don't like them don't buy their shit I don't like Capcom or Valve so I don't buy their games(except the new DMC)

Mass effect 3 ending: get the fuck over it

Pc vs consoles: as someone who plays on both It is soooooooo pointless to me.

Dante's new look: new game new look get over it

everythingbeeps:

jackdeesface:

everythingbeeps:
Oh god, more than anything else I'm sick to death of people whining that games are too short (especially when they try to claim that this game or that is "only five hours long" when in most cases it's at least a few hours longer than that). More specifically, I'm sick of people assigning hard dollar values to each hour a game lasts in order to determine "value".

While I agree that having an arbitrary formula to denote dollar to hour seems silly, I don't think this is without merit. Its becoming a lot worse as far as I've noticed with developers increased focus on multiplayer over single player. As someone who doesn't play multiplayer this essentially means my content in the game is being vastly reduced. Then again, I don't replay games, I never have re-read books or re-watched movies either.

If I buy a DVD for 15 and I moan that the film isn't over 3 hours long without mentioning anything else to do with the film am i being a prat? Yes. If I buy a DVD for 15 and the film is 10 minutes long, I don;t care how good the cinematography and acting were for those ten minuites. BECAUSE IT WAS ONLY TEN FREAKIN MINUTES!

Stop doing that. I just said that annoys me. You think you're going to change my mind? You think you aren't making the same exact argument everyone else does?

Why are you talking about DVDs? We're talking about video games, not movies. Different experiences. Variable lengths. And they don't sell ten minute movies for 15. So knock off the hyperbole. It never works. Especially when I specifically complained about the people who whine about "all the five hour games out there." Which is like...almost none of the games.

If you don't play multiplayer games or replay games ever, then you simply shouldn't be buying certain games. Don't blow your money and then complain about it after the fact. None of these developers lied to you.

In any case, I'm not having this argument here. That's not what this topic is about.

*stokes hair and looks into eyes*

Shhhhh, its okay. It's all okay.

Anti-grittyness.

I see it often, people bring it up as if it's a bad thing that some games have mature storylines and set themselves in a harsh, gritty world. You know, not everyone wants to play rainbows and sunshine games, or games with happy endings, bright characters and noble protagonists. Some will even accuse such games of trying to be "edgy", which is a term that should just be abolished entirely. It's a complain that is starting to annoy me whenever I see it crop up. You can play your colourful happy games, and I don't bother you or complain about it. It'd be nice to have the same back.

Gameguy20100:
The EA hate: if you don't like them don't buy their shit I don't like Capcom or Valve so I don't buy their games(except the new DMC)

Except that doesn't fucking work. They just see you as customers who need convincing.

Kicking up a fuss and screaming like children is the only way to get results with them.

PC superiority. But that's pretty self-explanatory.
Pretty much most complaints are emphasised for effect. Like Mass Effect 3's ending. Yeah it wasn't great, but don't even try to pretend it's ruined the past 5 years for you. There are worse endings all the time, and no-one really cares about that.
Games being art. Maybe for you, but for lots of us we play the game for the... game.
And when people say something isn't a specific genre for XYZ reason. Like saying ME3 isn't an RPG because it doesn't have an inventory... Wait, WHAT? Are you serious? And you say DE:HR IS??

MXRom:
snip

...your avatar. -shudder- Why? Why allow that shameless rip-off the honour of visually representing you?

I know it's been mentioned to death, already, but the whole EA thing. They really, really didn't deserve worst company. In terms of the magnitude of the problems they caused, they were nothing compared to what they were up against. Yeah, their business tactics are worse than who they were up against, but that doesn't make them the epitome of evil.

That insanely high development costs are the reason devs can't try new things with IPs or gameplay. So you're saying you made the choice to lift that giant load of cgi cutscenes and voice acting everywhere onto your back, and now that you're staggering around under all that weight I have to understand why your publishers won't let you take risks or that you can sell more copies of your game than any previous title in the series and still do poorly. Nope.

DoctorObviously:

Uhura:

DoctorObviously:

Jesus, are you serious?

Okay, while the 'circa. 2000'-part is overdone, it served to make a point. This is actually still true today. For me, there are only two kinds of women who approach gaming: the ones who think gamers are losers for very vague reasons, or the kind of entitled kooky children who suddenly want everything done in their favor because... *GASP* gaming has become mainstream and douchebags now play video games too!

I am not against the concept of women playing video games, but I think my opinion on them has been maimed a bit due to being alienated by 99% of the people of my age until gaming got mainstream. And I still got scolded for playing games because they were violent. "My god, we gotta watch DoctorObviously in the newspapers in five years or so, he's going to be the next guy who's going to shoot up his classmates." I swear to you this happened. And it's pissing me off.

Glad to see you're not letting your nerd resentment lead you to wildly idiotic generalizations.

And what stereotypical Conformityville, USA did you live in? My dad's about as conservative and anti-childishness as they get and he played Mortal Kombat with me and his friends into his 30s. He just balanced it with a hectic work schedule. Likewise, most of the kids my age, regardless of clique, were into Mario Kart and Goldeneye (again, including my fuddy-duddy dad and sister). I live in Ohio.

I must have missed that period of time where playing games, even heavily, marked you as a potential mass shooter. Or, I didn't use gaming as an excuse to be marked as an outsider.

Seriously, gaming wasn't underground past the late 90s. My grandma had an NES.

DoPo:
snip.

Is that Nicholas Cage Elf version in the bottom right hand corner? D: I agree mate graphics is sod all to do with how good a game is, look at Dwarf Fortress.

I'm sick of hearing about how Anita Sarkeesian is the most evil woman ever for having an opinion. She's no different than Yahtzee or Jim.

also that Dark Souls is bad because you are bad at it. Stop that.

DoctorObviously:

I've been gaming since 1984, Mr born in 1992. I think I should be allowed to complain about female characters all I fucking want.

yesbag:
- Consoles are somehow holding PC games back - boo fucking hoo. Graphics ain't everything kids.

If you're thinking people say that just about the graphics, holy shit can you be wrong. When people say they're gonna make it "for console", it generally doesn't dumb down the graphics but gameplay as well, as the average console user usually is less interested in alternative gameplay mechanics, difficulty or general originality.

How many fucking triple A games did we get this year and part of last year which just involved "ME SHOOTING AT PEOPLE" with different coatings ? That's what we think when we say "console market".

I'm generally appalled at the general attitude of the average escapist user: "BOO THESE PRETENTIOUS "GAMERS" WHO DARE TO HAVE CRITICISM". More interested in gender and racial discussion than actual having a sense of taste in the medium they pretend to follow.

I prefer to be angry and keep being angry to keep devs on their toes rather than be complacent so I can be served mediocrity.

Whenever I get bored with a certain topic, I simply won't read the discussion and do something else instead.

There's no good reason to to get sick of any of these game issues on the internet, because you can avoid them. Play a videogame or something, if you're hopelessly bored and don't begrudge those fun controversial topics for those of us who still like to play.

this ones quite specific but: "David cage just makes movies they are not games" whats the problem with having something new every once in a while, just because it doesn't fit well into any current game norm doesn't mean its any less of a game.

Moonlight Butterfly:

DoPo:
snip.

Is that Nicholas Cage Elf version in the bottom right hand corner? D:

I...umm...erm...

Yes, I suppose so. And now I can't stop thinking about it.

Moonlight Butterfly:
I'm sick of hearing about how Anita Sarkeesian is the most evil woman ever for having an opinion. She's no different than Yahtzee or Jim.

But she's a woman. And therefore not like them, because Yahtzee and Jim are correct.

Umm...can't actually make a joke here - I never really bothered with looking up Anita, never really bothered with the whole controversy either. However, I do agree - the sheer amount of racket around her is really grating - she doesn't make a video for a while - she's EVIL! She makes a video - she's EVIL! Somebody else makes a video about her video - she's EVIL! Ugh. And then you get multipage threads around here about each of these. She just doesn't deserve all that attention - I mean no disrespect, either - there are many more people on YouTube and all over the internet who are in a similar trade as her, i.e., discussing issues, sexism or otherwise, and they don't get as much coverage as Anita does. Now, I'd understand if people liked her but they don't, instead they give her more and more exposure and subject themselves to more and more of her...which I thought would be the exact opposite of what one would want to do. I have sites, people, and opinions I don't agree with that are out there - I try to stay clear of them because, why would I want the opposite?

Moonlight Butterfly:
I've been gaming since 1984, Mr born in 1992. I think I should be allowed to complain about female characters all I fucking want.

The last time IRL I spoke to somebody and discussed Heroes of Might and Magic, it was with a colleague of my mother. A female. She was in her forties and has a daughter 2-3 years younger than me (which would make her born ~1992). Anyway, it was the most fulfilling discussion I have had about the game for a while - she asked about Heroes 6, since I had played it and we started chatting about out recent Heroes matches and such. That wasn't the first time I've talked to her about Heroes, either - she's a huge fan and has played all the instalments (aside from 6 but maybe she has now), she often plays with her daughter, too, and as of late her daughter's boyfriend would join.

Just wanted to say - there is at least two of you who knew about gaming from before 2000.

You know which issue I love hearing about? EA. They're like a new episode of a sitcom, you get something new every week.

OT:
-"Dark Souls/2 needs an easy mode!" Ok, lets get rid of a great modern day game series' unique core mechanic just so YOU thats right YOU can sleep at night knowing you won, because God forbid winning is more important then having a fun experience.

DoctorObviously:

"Games are too easy."

Ugh... but you just said Dark Souls needed... @#$% it I'm done... I"M DONE!!!...

-"COD is ruining the industry!" No its not... is that a copy of COD I see in a stack of games behind you? Is that the most recent one by any chance?....

-"[Insert game] needs to be dark and gritty to be good!" God damn it Christopher Nolan I love the Dark Knight but look what you have done to my games! Why Nolan why?! T_T

-"ME3 Ending blah blah blah" Yes it was bad, but its been like a year. Please... for the children!

-"Bioshock Infinite>2nd Coming of Jesus" Now I LOOOOOOVE Bioshock Infinite, the thing is GOTY gold so far. But don't go starting cults on the internet, you're scaring people.

There are probably a lot more I'm missing but i'm too saltless to type them.

ITT:
Let's talk about issues we are all sick hearing about!
Ok...

Every game with a female protagonist: "Quick, let's discuss how that character represents women in gaming and let's point out every sexist trope we can find while ignoring everything else."

Brockyman:
Oh. I'm also tired of all the Valve love. I don't hate them, but they're not as great as everyone seems to give them credit for. I mean a Resident Evil/Left 4 Dead crossover instead of Half-Life (episdoe) 3? Really?!

What do you mean 'instead of'? It's not like they were like 'Hmmmm, okay we only have resources for one project. Should we help Capcom add Left 4 Dead characters to Resident Evil 6, or should we make Half-Life 3 instead?'. Come on.

Headsprouter:

...your avatar. -shudder- Why? Why allow that shameless rip-off the honour of visually representing you?

To spread awareness that this thing exists and it needs to die.

On that subject: rip-offs. Sometimes its a valid argument, but people need to stop throwing around like every game is a rip-off of something just because it has one or two similar elements. It's pointless at best, and actually damages a game with potential at worst.

Guild Wars 2 was dissed for being a SWtOR rip-off.

Space Marine was called a Gears of War rip-off.

Pretty much any FPS nowadays is called a CoD clone at some point(like it's part of some unwritten hazing ritual).

This kinda thing is starting to make me physically ill.

blackrave:

Yes, the hardware possibilities are superior to consoles, but you must know a thing or two about tech to get the best of PC gaming
Otherwise you will stuck with overpriced pre-built machine that will become obsolete in a few years
And developers who throw shitty console ports aren't making things easier (control, GUI and optimization wise)

^All my this. You can't just say that using a computer is "easy". Its by no means rocket science, and its pretty accessible to anyone who wants to learn, but its not like you can learn all that stuff in a day. And you have to either know some computer things, or be willing to learn them if you get into pc gaming. You WILL run into a shitty problem, and will have to fix it. I was naive and bought an overpriced pre-built that obsoleted (sort of) but I was able to figure out how to cut corners to get the most performance

Nadia Castle:

My main gripe with the whole 'Sonic is broken' crying is the call to make it more like Sonic Adventure again. There is absolutely nothing in Shadow the Hedgehog that wasn't already broken in Sonic Adventure. Sloppy controls? check! Poor Camera? Check! Awful characters? Check! Nonsensical storyline? Check! Failed attempt at being hip and cool? check check check!

Sonic Adventure 2 has indeed dated badly as well, but at least it had the courtesy to remove the most confusing hubworld ever (seriously, you are only allowed to enter the next area, but to find the next area you have to wander pointlessly around until you work out 'oh you had to board a train to go to the jungle, then wander around said jungle until you stumble onto this, then you can actually begin the stage. Massive waste of time!) and death to designer who decided that a series about speed, graphics and control needed a mandatory fishing stage!!

Heh... Its true that those games were broken as fuck, but there's something about them I still like. I liked the hub world because I felt it provided adequate pacing between levels. To each his own though. It was the first game I bought for my gamecube and I 100% completed it, but I still come back to it from time to time

Xcell935:

DoctorObviously:

"Games are too easy."

Ugh... but you just said Dark Souls needed... @#$% it I'm done... I"M DONE!!!...

You misunderstood me. What I mean by "Games are too easy." means that this is one of the issues I am sick of hearing about. It's not me who's saying: "Games are too easy."

AdonistheDark:

DoctorObviously:

Uhura:

Jesus, are you serious?

Glad to see you're not letting your nerd resentment lead you to wildly idiotic generalizations.

And what stereotypical Conformityville, USA did you live in? My dad's about as conservative and anti-childishness as they get and he played Mortal Kombat with me and his friends into his 30s. He just balanced it with a hectic work schedule. Likewise, most of the kids my age, regardless of clique, were into Mario Kart and Goldeneye (again, including my fuddy-duddy dad and sister). I live in Ohio.

I must have missed that period of time where playing games, even heavily, marked you as a potential mass shooter. Or, I didn't use gaming as an excuse to be marked as an outsider.

Seriously, gaming wasn't underground past the late 90s. My grandma had an NES.

You have an awesome family. I can barely get my grandma to use a DVD player. Oh well. I'm actually foreign, I'm from Belgium. It just so happens that I grew up alongside idiotic children.

Sorry for the double post.

- 95% of the sexism issues
- 90% of the racism issues
- 99% of the violence issues
- 99.99% of anything the media or the politicians have to say about videogames.

News Channel: "Videogames are evil and train you to kill so they can make you go shoot up a school." proceeds to show ad for videogame.

DoctorObviously:

Uhura:

DoctorObviously:

Jesus, are you serious?

`Stereotyping is so mean except when I do it`.

Maybe some women think gamers are losers because some gamers feel like their issues with girls in school should affect how they treat women at large.
Women want to play games, and we deserve to be represented.
I have been gaming longer than you, why should gaming belong more to you than it does me?

OT: I'm kind of tired of hearing how women are ruining the sanctity of dudebro gaming.

EA hate. Particularly for the Mass Effect 3 fiasco. And the PC master race bullshit.

Linearity as something bad. Especially for replayability.
Jim Sterling has made a Jimquisition episode on this, and I agree with his perspective. The lack of change in the content doesn't prevent us from enjoying books and movies more than once. Firstly, repeating a familiar good experience is still a good experience. It also helps internalizing it. Secondly, we can realize things that we ignored the first time through. Thirdly, we may gain new perspectives on that which we did realize.

The Nintendo first party titles do not change between instalments.
In the Jimquisition episode "Games' snake oil", Jim Sterling argued that we should not put innovation in a higher echelon than quality. Dismissing Zelda for not changing its core game experience every time is ignoring that that core has been refined over the years.
I don't see them that way though. They keep many elements intact, especially when it comes to visual themes, but change the game mechanics and story to a varying degree. In the Legend of Zelda series, having a green-clad protagonist named Link, a Master Sword, a Zelda who needs saving are elements in common, yet you can set that basic premisse in different scenarios, with different supporting characters and abilities.

The only issues I have with me is when Fox News or any other major news companies decide to talk about gaming in a very negative way.

Ooh, here's another one: lack of New Game+, and "replayability" in general.

To me, "replayability" is when a game is so much fun I want to play it again. That's it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked