Game issues you're sick of hearing about

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

DoctorObviously:

Xcell935:

DoctorObviously:

"Games are too easy."

Ugh... but you just said Dark Souls needed... @#$% it I'm done... I"M DONE!!!...

You misunderstood me. What I mean by "Games are too easy." means that this is one of the issues I am sick of hearing about. It's not me who's saying: "Games are too easy."

Actually you misunderstood me. I quoted you to make a point and or joke that I previously made in my post before I quoted you. Saying "Games are too easy" I was pointing at a lot of other gamers not you specifically.

This is the part where you laugh...

Its ok you don't have too. >_>

Dark Souls 2 - We get it, you were the best and the easy mode afflicts your outrageously high ego, now shut up!
Online passes - boo hoo, it's 10 dollars more out of your pocket which is still probably cheaper than if you bought the game brand new.
DRM - Yeah it's bad, but they gotta tweak the piece of shit to make it better, not just drop it and say, "Fuck it, pirate away".
Valve - They're a good company, but they are terrible in some areas and are definitely your sales person first and friend later.
EA - They're a great company that gets a lot of undeserved flak. Really people? EA is worse than bank of America? I'm glad I know where the worlds priorities are at where a game publisher whom may have changed a game in one way is worse than a company that literally makes people homeless.
Multiplayer - Don't like it, don't play it.
Micro transactions - They're not forcing you to buy shit, and they're not cutting content and making it a micro transaction either.
PC vs Console - WE GET IT! YOU KNOW THE RIGHT WAY OF KNOWING EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW.
Mass Effect 3 - Your opinion is subjective, not fact, realise this.
Sexism - Pendulum swings both ways, Lara Croft was just a big breasted sex object, Duke Nukem was just a beefed up douchebag, we're slowly getting better, give it some time and stop screaming.
Indie games are the future - Been on the Xbox Live Arcade recently?
WHY DIDN'T THEY LISTEN TO US? - Because companies don't peruse forums such as this one looking for critique onhow to improve.
Dragon Age 2 - Fine game, not great, but fine.
Misunderstanding the question - Please read carefully before you angrily bash your face on the keyboard and hurl insults my way.

Well I feel better now...might add some more later

PC elitism, it just strikes me as total pettiness in every regard. I game on PC and consoles, and I consider both sides to have their advantages, standing on a pedestal and acting like you're part of the golden race of gamers just makes you look like a spoiled brat who has to shove his toys in all the other kids faces.

"LOOK! MINE'S BETTER! SEE! SEE!"

It's fucking pathetic.

Busard:

yesbag:
- Consoles are somehow holding PC games back - boo fucking hoo. Graphics ain't everything kids.

If you're thinking people say that just about the graphics, holy shit can you be wrong. When people say they're gonna make it "for console", it generally doesn't dumb down the graphics but gameplay as well, as the average console user usually is less interested in alternative gameplay mechanics, difficulty or general originality.

Incorrect supposition, that is both demeaning and utterly pretentious.
Digusting and lends to my earlier point.

How many fucking triple A games did we get this year and part of last year which just involved "ME SHOOTING AT PEOPLE" with different coatings ? That's what we think when we say "console market".

Oddly enough, I can attribute that to the PC market. What with FPS games originating there.
Console games were often more creative and were quite varied in genre, while PC games were mostly Doom clones of one flavour or another. It's only when PC game designs started to infiltrate the console market that things got generic for everyone, but fast.

Whether this is accurate or not is another story - the point of my stating the above is to show you how divisive arguments that cannot be substantiated, like yours, just don't work and make you sound like a pretentious dick. I'm sure you musn't be a pretentious dick IRL, so why attempt to pose as one here?

So just end it now since it's a pointless argument that I'm sick of hearing about. The only people who can make it with a straight face are PC fanboys. There are no superior platforms and not one is holding any other back.

"PC Master Race" and "Console Peasant." This is utterly stupid. It's about as bad, if not worse, than the "Hardcore Gamer and Casual Gamer" nonsense.

It shouldn't matter who plays what type of game and what their preferred method of playing it is. Some people prefer consoles, some people prefer handhelds, some people prefer PCs, some people even prefer their phones or tablets. Some people prefer difficult games, some people prefer easier games. Some people prefer something faster, hectic and intense, some people prefer slower, smoother and relaxed.

We're all different facets of the same culture. Different parts of the same whole that makes us as awesome as we are. Of course, we're not perfect, but it shouldn't matter what people prefer to play or how they prefer to play it. We're all gamers at heart and enjoy what we play, however we want to play it.

It's really, really sad that gamers can't accept one another simply because they enjoy their hobby in a different way. The gaming industry is over four decades old. I think it's high time we stopped acting like children.

AdonistheDark:
Seriously, gaming wasn't underground past the late 90s. My grandma had an NES.

Hoorah for awesome grandmas! Mine still has a Sega Genesis at her house that I'll play once in a while when I visit. When my brother and I were kids, we'd watch her play Sonic the Hedgehog. We could hardly get halfway through the game, and here comes grandma blazing through the game, all 7 chaos emeralds in tow.

DoctorObviously:
This has been said before, but every single goddamn Dark Souls fanboy calling it the best game in the universe and all others who have a different opinion obviously do not understand how it is our virtual Jesus Christ.

This probably hasn't been said before, but every single goddamn Bioshock Infinite fanboy calling it the best game in the universe and all others who have a different opinion obviously do not understand how it is our virtual Jesus Christ.

I wouldn't have singled any games out and would have simplified to "Game X", as you forgot every single goddamn (insert below title here) fanboy calling it the best game in the universe and all others who have a different opinion obviously do not understand how it is our virtual Jesus Christ:

Half Life 2
Portal (1 and 2)
Mass Effect series
Skyrim
Morrowind
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 9
Tales of "..."
SMT: Persona 3 and 4
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom Hearts
Halo series
COD series
Mount & Blade
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
KOTOR series
Witcher 2
DA: Origins
Planescape Torment
System Shock 2
or any other popular game with a strong fanbase.

There is always a loudmouth segment that makes the rest of the fans look bad. Note: I enjoy most of the above mentionned games.

jackdeesface:

Fair point, different sides of the same coin though. I'd argue that as CoD is one of the best selling, if not THE best selling, franchises of all time people who dislike it intentionally are trying to seem original. It just happens that they're doing this by following the crowd, abet a slightly smaller crowd than the majority.

Wow, that was hard to articulate.

CoD is a huge game and the general consensus among consumers is to like it, thats why its as big as it is.

As self identified 'gamers' we tend to be somewhat insular, as you rightly point out CoD hate seems like the opinion of the more vocal of self identified 'gamers'.

Among this group CoD hate is the popular opinion, so yes you;re right, a lot of people are probably in it to follow what everyone else is doing. I would argue that this dislike stems from a desire to seem more hardcore than the millions of 'casual'CoD players (or 'normal people' as i like to call them)out in the world.

Basically, we're both right. Lets hug.

That was pretty concise, good work. Personally I don't really hate CoD and don't feel the need to because isn't targeted at my market (ie. sales of CoD do not necessarily mean sales of a game I may like are diminished), although I don't like its mechanics or story, that's a matter of personal choice.

I think the biggest game/forum feature I'm tried of hearing about is how tired people are of hearing something. No one forces you at gunpoint, at least I hope not anyway, to continue to listen or read someone's constant and incessant bitching. Games and forums, and social media sites, give you the tools to ignore these people so you never have to listen to them ever again. So if you find yourself continuing to be bothered by such individual's activities you really have only yourself to blame.

bug_of_war:
Dark Souls 2 - We get it, you were the best and the easy mode afflicts your outrageously high ego, now shut up!
Online passes - boo hoo, it's 10 dollars more out of your pocket which is still probably cheaper than if you bought the game brand new.
DRM - Yeah it's bad, but they gotta tweak the piece of shit to make it better, not just drop it and say, "Fuck it, pirate away".
Valve - They're a good company, but they are terrible in some areas and are definitely your sales person first and friend later.
EA - They're a great company that gets a lot of undeserved flak. Really people? EA is worse than bank of America? I'm glad I know where the worlds priorities are at where a game publisher whom may have changed a game in one way is worse than a company that literally makes people homeless.
Multiplayer - Don't like it, don't play it.
Micro transactions - They're not forcing you to buy shit, and they're not cutting content and making it a micro transaction either.
PC vs Console - WE GET IT! YOU KNOW THE RIGHT WAY OF KNOWING EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW.
Mass Effect 3 - Your opinion is subjective, not fact, realise this.
Sexism - Pendulum swings both ways, Lara Croft was just a big breasted sex object, Duke Nukem was just a beefed up douchebag, we're slowly getting better, give it some time and stop screaming.
Indie games are the future - Been on the Xbox Live Arcade recently?
WHY DIDN'T THEY LISTEN TO US? - Because companies don't peruse forums such as this one looking for critique onhow to improve.
Dragon Age 2 - Fine game, not great, but fine.
Misunderstanding the question - Please read carefully before you angrily bash your face on the keyboard and hurl insults my way.

Well I feel better now...might add some more later

You are one of my favorite people right now. You took everything I could rage about and worded it brilliantly.

BanicRhys:
The more money devs make, the less they feel the need to screw us over

Need? Absolutely agree.

But would still try and milk us I think. The richer you are the greedier you are, it's just something that makes so little sense but it happens.

Ok, many people here have mentioned EA. Yes, it's getting on my nerves as well, mainly because it seems that it's now 'cool' to hate EA. Not to mention that some people hate them for all the wrong reasons (like releasing mediocre games or the ending of Mass Effect 3). Sure, there are plenty reasons to hate EA, and even though the hate has been getting ridiculously far-fetched and disproportional (to the point when people start bashing on everything that's even remotely connected to EA without as much as a trace of critical thought involved), maintaining a certain level of hate and criticism aimed at EA is a good thing, long as it's constructive criticism - I wrote that article because I thought that the hate was getting excessive but no one would actually suggest anything that could be done about it, people would just complain and little else.

That said, EA need to be put under pressure. Simply not buying their games is not going to solve anything. Remember Medal of Honor? That didn't sell particularly well, did it? Well it didn't make EA realise just how hated they are as a company. It didn't make them realise that the modern FPS market is severely over-saturated. Their interpretation of this failure was: unfair reviews, players not knowing how to play the game right and the development team being incompetent - in this order. Just not buying their games won't help. We need bitching and criticism.

Johny_X2:
Just not buying their games won't help. We need bitching and criticism.

I agreed with about everything you wrote but this small part. We need to critique, wholly agree with you there, but bitching is not the way to critique something. Our critique needs to be mature if we ever expect any publisher to take on board the criticism. Look at these to critiques:

"The DRM and always online for Sim City caused my enjoyment for the game to fall dramatically. Had these issues been addressed I would have been able to enjoy the game much more and would have played for longer. In the end it is disappointing to see a developer produce a product that was incapable of working 1st day due to the servers being unable to handle a huge rush of players logging in."

"FUCK YOU EA! You ruined Sim City and you didn't listen to me when I wrote on this forum! You guys are idiots and I hope that you go out of business and never touch another developer again. This is all your fault!"

Now I realise I went on the two extremes and there, but this is literally what it will take to get someone to listen. You can't bitch and moan because it make you look like a petulant child. A well thought, easy to read constructed criticism says more to people than someone viciously tapping there keyboard.

bug_of_war:
snip

well, by bitching I actually meant complaining in general.

as for the bitching bitching, I'm normally strongly opposed to that, I prefer debate and constructive criticism and yes, hearing people bitch at EA for no obvious (or a few REALLY retarded) reasons gets tiresome (especially when there are so many perfectly good reasons). Then again, it shows results more often than reasonable debate does. The 'playing chess with a pigeon' analogy comes to mind. Which is kind of sad but oh well.

Johny_X2:

well, by bitching I actually meant complaining in general.

as for the bitching bitching, I'm normally strongly opposed to that, I prefer debate and constructive criticism and yes, hearing people bitch at EA for no obvious (or a few REALLY retarded) reasons gets tiresome. Then again, it shows results more often than reasonable debate does. The 'playing chess with a pigeon' analogy comes to mind. Which is kind of sad but oh well.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. I still think that we should try and act more mature, as most of the "complaining" I see is more along the lines of bitching. And while sometimes bitching works, most times it doesn't. Also, the bitching degrades the community as a whole as it makes people who play games look like children, and when you throw out statistics like, "Average gamer is 30" and then compare that to some of the complaints we see must give the general populace a really bad idea of what games do to people. I'm going on a leap here, but it may have some form of an effect on the opinions of big government people whom (in America) blame games for violence, (in Australia) halt the R18+ rating from coming in (but that's coming in now), and more. We should try and be more mature not just in complaining to publishers/developers, but to show the rest of the world that gamers are not children.

Madman Muntz:
I think the biggest game/forum feature I'm tried of hearing about is how tired people are of hearing something. No one forces you at gunpoint, at least I hope not anyway, to continue to listen or read someone's constant and incessant bitching. Games and forums, and social media sites, give you the tools to ignore these people so you never have to listen to them ever again. So if you find yourself continuing to be bothered by such individual's activities you really have only yourself to blame.

Lol. Nice. You what I hate? People whining about other people whining. So instead of avoiding them I'm going to prove my point by whining in the whining thread about other people whining.

For realz, if I could avoid some of these I would. I can't help it if a thread I'm interested in has a back in forth circle jerk of people complaining about these stupid things. Like when Bethesda announced that new horror game, I was interested in it but the entire comment thread was bull shit complaining about they're "clearly copying" other games and dumb fucks saying they didn't want a new IP and wanted a sequel to something. I wanted to find positive comments about the game so I kept looking through all that shit.

So yeah, if you think our complaints are petty why didn't you just "avoid" this thread in the first place?

all the console vs console vs pc stuff lets just all agree we all like different things

People who bash EA but still buy the **** games *headdesk* if you keep buying the ******* games they will have no reason to improve!

half-life 3 JUST SHUT UP ALREADY! I am sick of the whining about it!

I hate every article on Kotaku, does that count? There's no news there and all their journalists are terrible human beings.

Graphics. Talk about aesthetics, talk about color pallet, but lay off with "it looks dated." I am in fact SO sick of it that I'm actually CRAVING games with blocky polygons.

Shit-talking about games & consoles that aren't even out yet because one playtester didn't like it & couldn't be assed to wait for the day 1 patch. Lay off the Ouya until it's a year old. As for games, wait a month for a sufficient variety of reviews.

Failure to admit that the awfulness of the game is part of it's charm. Indeed it is better to be godawful than to be mediocre, because we will still talk about the awful ones, which provide an entirely different kind of entertainment, while the mediocre ones are forgotten.

The assumption that people who don't play FPS & multiplayer are not real gamers.

Hating on things because it's popular to do so, then not backing it up with personal experiences.

MXRom:
The console-pc 'war'. I swear every day each side comes up with another stupid reason why 'they' are better.

I mean, where does that place people like me who favor both?

Good question, do both sides consider us traitors for having both? What happens to me since I have PC, PS3, xbox360 etc etc, are the fanboys going to kill me? *looks over shoulder to see a massive mob with pitchforks*. crud.....

OT: Political correctness gone wild in games, regardless of which one it is. It's one thing to have a legitimate problem, it's another to scream racist due to the colour of the main character, or location it's set in etc. Granted there are some trends needing some serious fumagation, but try to keep it civil shal we?

Difficulty. "Ooo, they're making a easy mode for Dark Souls." Then don't play it. They're not removing the normal/bullshit difficulty, just giving others an option to actually play the game. "Oooo, this game is too easy." If the difficulty is at the highest, then introduce your own difficulty things. Use only one kind of weapon. Don't quick travel. If you die, restart the entire game. If you want it harder in the base game....well...#dealwithit. Or play some really old games known for being difficult.

I hate people saying "ugh I'm sick of hearing it" about what I want to complain about/hear complaints about. :)

Isn't that something everybody goes through? If somebody complains about ME3's ending, they probably just beat it yesterday and want to vent. The people who complained about it a year ago have moved on to be replaced by others just now joining the conversation, it should start to settle now...

I can't stand X is better than Y threads myself now, but I remember a time way back when I was all over any such thread I could find so I could add my stupid opinions. Now many others have taken my place, it's the circle of life!

The bigger issues are NEVER going to go away, sorry to tell ya. Dig in. I like the sexism debates myself, it's like going to the zoo to watch chimpanzees fling poo and fight, except the zookeepers never come in with tranq guns and ruin it. Oh sure sometimes people try to bring up a reasonable argument, but I just pretend those are the bystanders who got too close to the pen. I read a ton of shit about anita beetlejuice just to see what all the fuss was about, and the best I could come up with was "gamers are kinda crazy", which was the most interesting part about it. Don't be afraid guys, even if the Feminists take control of the gamer command center, they won't take your T&A games away. I promise.

Oh good old EA... I can't wait for the next episode... Tell ya what, I'll shut up when they admit to a mistake, even a little minor one, I'll shut up for like a whole week. But guess what? If you are sick of hearing the same old EA shit, its because that's part of their plan.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/22/the-power-of-silence-why-the-simcity-story-went-away/

When someone declares something as pretentious, I find it as informative as saying a game is bad. Actually explain whats wrong dammit! Go into detail why it doesn't work, don't just expect us to know.

Anyone who say "This game is shit" rather than "I didn't like the game." Or anything similar to that.

I've seen some people with their heads firmly wedged up their ass about how reasonable they are in "debates" on forums, but as soon as there's a game they don't like, it's just "shit." No room for opinion, only insults for a game and therefore anyone who enjoyed it.

A pretty fun game is to click on any thread on the Escapist where a popular mainstream game is being discussed and to count how many times someone posts something like this. Take a shot each time if you don't mind liver poisoning.

immortalfrieza:
Racism and sexism. I'm tired of hearing these all the time in general really. If you are so not victimized by racism/sexism that you don't have enough REAL issues of racism/sexist to fight against and can take the time to raise hell over the perceived racism/sexism in fictional media, your side has pretty much already won the fight.

Fucking this man, im so sick of this crap.

No more sexism threads...please.

Nadia Castle:
Rose tinted nostalgia needs to die! I love my Dreamcast. I play it more often than my Xbox 360. But none of its games would stand up if released today. Hell Sonic Adventure wasn't even a good game when it was released (WORST HUBWORLD EVER!).

I agree with Sonic Adventure. However, I'd say some games on the DC stand up to current offerings. Soul Calibur (or most of the DC fighters) pawns most fighters of today, Under Defeat is better than just about any shmup (so much so, they rereleased it on the PS3 and 360), Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are still fun and fresh, and Shenmue is still a unique experience worth checking out.

However, I'm not under the impression the console, or its games, are perfect by any means. Just that it's the perfect arcade console. It's horses for courses really. It also depends on what criteria you're judging these games again.

Not all people want to play games where you spend 80% of the time aimlessly walking around barren forests, cities, or wastelands.

I get annoyed when people refer to things as 'immersion breaking', without actually thinking about it first.

The worst incident of this I have seen was back in Nov 11 when Skyrim came out, and everyone jumped on the 'it's cool to hate Skyrim' bandwagon... or the 'It's not my kind of game anyway, so I will go out of my way to say why I don't like this installment'. And I saw a thread on here where someone listed all the ways Skyrim 'broke his immersion'.

One of these ways was the graphics. Aparrently they were really shit, and looked like a previous gen consoles efforts. And when pressed, the reason he gave was because when he ran point blank into a wall, the textures went slightly blurry/pixilated and aparrently this made it completely unrealistic and broke his 'immersion'.

We then had a spate of threads all about immersion, which luckily died off, but you still see the point used from time to time.

Now... the issue is the whole term 'immersion'. Immersion is how involved you feel with a game, and how much it sucks you into playing it, and getting into the story/characters/world. Games have had varying levels of immersion throughout the last few decades, with some doing it well and some not so well for a variety of reasons. The biggest reason is story. A gripping story, well thought out and with interesting characters... especially with a bit of flair (or 15 bits of flair minimum) will make a game particulary immersive, and you will overlook bad mechanics to keep playing.

Another way a game can be immersive is by giving you lots of rewards and goals, and keeping you intersted that way. This is seen the most in multiplayer games, where you are constantly working towards the next unlock, or device you can show off.

Things such as game mechanics, or bad character design, even bad voice acting, can detract from this immersion by contsantly pulling you out of your zone, and can overall ruin a games exerience for you. The problem with most people who use it as an arguement, is they use it to make themselves sound clever and like they know what they are talking about, even though the thing they are talking about is really trivial. The thing they don't actually see is that the real reason the immersion was broken is because they were not immersed in the gameplay and story to begin with, and this is not usually the games fault, but the fact that the person playing was expecting the game to fail, or were being over critical and only trying to fault it.

And that is my issue with that arguement...

Since every issue is a recurring issue, I'm sick of them all. Complaining about DRM, demonizing EA and Ubisoft, Dark Souls dumbing down content, casual gamers vs. hardcore gamers, PC being the master race, nobody liking ME3's ending, the worries about a next console generation, will there or will there not be a gaming crash... what happened to good old fun threads about who's the best sidekick, and the most difficult boss evah?

RicoADF:

MXRom:
The console-pc 'war'. I swear every day each side comes up with another stupid reason why 'they' are better.

I mean, where does that place people like me who favor both?

Good question, do both sides consider us traitors for having both? What happens to me since I have PC, PS3, xbox360 etc etc, are the fanboys going to kill me? *looks over shoulder to see a massive mob with pitchforks*. crud.....

OT: Political correctness gone wild in games, regardless of which one it is. It's one thing to have a legitimate problem, it's another to scream racist due to the colour of the main character, or location it's set in etc. Granted there are some trends needing some serious fumagation, but try to keep it civil shal we?

Hybrids are the future. :D

I don't like to be that guy, but hey... I guess I am

ShadowRatchet92:
I'll admit, one of my pet peeves is someone or some people keep repeating on an issue over and over till they beat that issue to the ground, and it's nothing but microscopic atoms. One issue is with the upcoming Fuse. You know, that game Insomniac original had called Overstrike, till the drained the color and it's now a more griddier third person co-op game? I'm still looking forward to it, even if it doesn't have the same charm as the original. However, I'm so sick and tired of people STILL being upset and saying stuff like "boo, this game sucks because it doesn't have any color" or "shit, EA stuck again(even though Insomniac said it was there decision, people love to think EA still had something to do)." I get it, EA is evil and Fuse doesn't have any Color. I'm just sick and tired of people already declaring it the worst thing ever. What issue are sick and tired of hearing about in the games industry? Constant Sequels ruining creativity? Mass Effect 3's ending? Sexism?

You're still looking forward to it. And I'm glad for you.

I've seen all of the trailers, all of the gameplay and all of the stupid dev commentary who basically said 'Big shooty guns = fun'

I didn't receive once iota of the excitement or even smiled a little when I saw the new Fuse trailers. It looked like someone took only four weird guns from Borderlands and shoved them into a Gears of War universe.

It's not about EA. It's not about the lack of color. It doesn't look fun to some of us any more. We'll be upset about that. We won't begrudge you your right to be tired of it.

Brockyman:
- All the EA hate. They're not perfect, but they're not evil.

- "But the next gen consoles won't have backward compatibility" - So freakin' what? Pissed you can't trade in your old system to buy the new one? Tough! I'd rather have a great new console and relocate my old ones to another room.

- "Killing the Used Games Industry" aka Online Passes aka Exclusive Content - Again, so? Developers bust their ass on AAA titles for the same retail price people were paying in the 1980s (which $60 then is like $100 now). I don't blame them for wanting to find a way to where they get paid for their work. I think the Online Pass (where you need a code to get to some of the features) is a good thing, because it allows used games to be sold, and if they want the extra content, they can get it.

- "Games as Art" - I hate it when "game journalists" and critics try to boost their egos with the "games are art" arguments. Games are a unique category that can't be defined the same way a movie, painting, photography or sculpture. I understand the need to want to bring "artistic credability to the industry, but many times it comes across as whining... See Adam Sessler for more details...he's one of the worst about it.

I agree with everything you said except for your disagreement with games as art. Why can't games be defined the same way as those other art forms? They include all those art forms in some way. In most videogames, someone has to imagine and create a whole world filled with life and then present it in some way. That would be considered art in literature, film and other arts. So, what are you reasons for dismissing it as not an art? I'm very curious.

Toxinthegreat:
The Sexism debates. Yes, there is sexism in Video games, as in all media. Move the fuck on.

Get this person a Drink, I'm absolutely tired of hearing about this BS as well.

YunakoTheWitch:

Toxinthegreat:
The Sexism debates. Yes, there is sexism in Video games, as in all media. Move the fuck on.

Get this person a Drink, I'm absolutely tired of hearing about this BS as well.

rasputin0009:

Brockyman:
- All the EA hate. They're not perfect, but they're not evil.

- "But the next gen consoles won't have backward compatibility" - So freakin' what? Pissed you can't trade in your old system to buy the new one? Tough! I'd rather have a great new console and relocate my old ones to another room.

- "Killing the Used Games Industry" aka Online Passes aka Exclusive Content - Again, so? Developers bust their ass on AAA titles for the same retail price people were paying in the 1980s (which $60 then is like $100 now). I don't blame them for wanting to find a way to where they get paid for their work. I think the Online Pass (where you need a code to get to some of the features) is a good thing, because it allows used games to be sold, and if they want the extra content, they can get it.

- "Games as Art" - I hate it when "game journalists" and critics try to boost their egos with the "games are art" arguments. Games are a unique category that can't be defined the same way a movie, painting, photography or sculpture. I understand the need to want to bring "artistic credability to the industry, but many times it comes across as whining... See Adam Sessler for more details...he's one of the worst about it.

I agree with everything you said except for your disagreement with games as art. Why can't games be defined the same way as those other art forms? They include all those art forms in some way. In most videogames, someone has to imagine and create a whole world filled with life and then present it in some way. That would be considered art in literature, film and other arts. So, what are you reasons for dismissing it as not an art? I'm very curious.

I'm not saying games can't be art in their own way, but its much harder to judge what is good and bad as far as games go.

dagens24:

Brockyman:
Oh. I'm also tired of all the Valve love. I don't hate them, but they're not as great as everyone seems to give them credit for. I mean a Resident Evil/Left 4 Dead crossover instead of Half-Life (episdoe) 3? Really?!

What do you mean 'instead of'? It's not like they were like 'Hmmmm, okay we only have resources for one project. Should we help Capcom add Left 4 Dead characters to Resident Evil 6, or should we make Half-Life 3 instead?'. Come on.

I would understand your point if they have said or done anything about Half-Life 3 (or episode 3), but no news about the series has come out (other then mods that fans develop) since August 2007. They basically skipped most of this console generation.

So, evidence would show that they CAN'T do that many things at once. Since Episode 2 they've done Steam (which I freely admit is awesome), Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) and Portal 2 with no news, hint, mention of anything going on with their most acclaimed series. Hell, they're even focusing on getting into the failing console market... I'm just saying do what the fans want.

Good graphics.

Really, it's now hardcore to hate games with good graphics. Because apparently you can't have a game with proper mechanics which doesn't look like shit and isn't indie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked