The State of MMORPGs - End of an Era

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

After the gigantic success of World of Warcraft a lot of companies got gold fever and went on to greenlight a multitude of MMORPGs. Most of them failed and those that didn't only made a small impact. Now years later the market has learned from their 'mistakes' and there doesn't seem to be any great MMORPG releases anymore. They are too risky and expensive. Instead every dev seems to go for Call of Duty / Battlefield multiplayer'ish games. They are cheaper and faster to make and more popular.

What do you think of the state of MMORPGs these days?

And while on the subject:
- What is the last MMORPG you have played?
- Are you still playing it?
- Which MMORPG have you spend the most time on?
- Are you looking forward to any new MMORPG?

Finally a small list of recent big MMORPG for a complete picture:

Upcoming:
- The Elder Scrolls Online is coming, but IMO it doesn't look that great. Just a multiplayer version of Skyrim.
- Neverwinter is coming too, but it seems fairly small... Not sure if it's going to be good. But it won't be great.

Released:
- Guildwars 2 was fun for a while, but the player base has dropped rapidly.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic was doomed from the start and has seen a significant drop in players also.
- Lord of the Rings Online is holding steady but hasn't made a great impact.

- Eve Online is the only other popular MMORPG that is still thriving. I reckon that is because there really isn't anything like it.
- League of Legends, though technically not a MMORPG, is thriving also.

4RM3D:

Meh, I don't really play any, so I can't say. Most don't look that interesting to begin with for the rest, I just don't feel like devoting too much time and energy into a single game.

4RM3D:

Oh, gees, I can't remember exactly. I think it would have been one of the free MMOs that weren't that great. Maybe Rapplez, I remember playing that. It wasn't for very long, though, the game really wanted to push the extra stuff you buy from the shop.

4RM3D:

No, not really. It's been years.

4RM3D:

Must have been WoW. I played it for a while - it was my first MMO. Then I tried some free MMOs (Rapplez was the only one I remember the name of) and finally stopped.

4RM3D:

Actually, I am - I really want to see the World of Darkness MMO. Details about it are very few and far inbetween but it does sound promising.

If you're mentioning League of Legends, you should also mention Dota 2.
If LoL and Dota 2 are anywhere close to be defined as MMO, then I've played Dota for the last God knows how many years and I still play it.
As for other MMOs, last one I played more or less seriously was The Old Republic. I really enjoyed until I've reached lvl 50, after that there was just nothing to do!
Right now I'm really intrigued by the Secret World, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

I swear not many devs even make CoD knock-offs any more...
The only MMO I've had any fun with is Runescape. It functioned well and had loads of amazing mechanics which I haven't seem echoed anywhere. Also, the fantasy was more relaxed. Most fantasy recently I find is too much up its own arse, but Runescape was more chilled about it and didn't take itself too seriously- however not to the extent of self-parody and ridiculing the setting.
Great fun exploring the map too, it didn't get old. I just... grew out of it. Good times :(
A friend of mine recently suggested that there should be a single-player exploration game in the same nature, as it was fun but has passed its prime.

4RM3D:

The community per individual MMO seems to be going down, but that quantity seems to only be going up, which doesn't mean bad quality per se, but does give a nice clusterfuck

For example, what exactly is the point of, instead of clearing Silkroad online of all the cheaters / botters, of creating a new game called Silkroad online 2 and just let it go wild again.

And while on the subject:

TERA, but only for a few hours.

So nope, not any for that matter.

Man, i played SO many. The top must be 9Dragons, but i swore never to touch that one again.

Nope, don't give a fuck anymore. If i run across one that looks interesting ill get it, but i wont actively seek it out.
Only the free ones though.

4RM3D:

They seem to have slowed down from their 'Blaze of glory' days back when every company and their dog was trying to get a piece of WoW's pie, don't really have anything else to say.

4RM3D:

The MMO I'm playing right now is the 15-day trial for Perpetuum (aka EvE Online with Mechs), and I'm probably going to give EvE Online itself a(nother) go after that ends.

4RM3D:

Sparingly, as my aforementioned trial is almost over (about 3-4 days left)

4RM3D:

I have about 527 hours on Spiral Knights, WoW might beat it, but it would be very close.

4RM3D:

That new 'Star Citizen' thing on Kickstarter looks interesting, but aside from that not really.

-I think it's about as okay as it's ever been, maybe better. There's about as many F2P mmos as there have ever been, and definitely more big name ones than ever.

-Last game I played was the Secret World (maybe Champions if you count the one time I got a weird urge to create a new superhero)

-No, but mostly because my computer couldn't run it as smoothly as I would've liked, and I needed to free up hard drive space.

-Either Champions Online or maybe DC Universe.

-Was excited for Age of Wushu but the discrepancies between F2P players and subscribers might be too big for me. Also can't wait for Phantasy Star Online 2 to come out (though if it's anything like PSO1, then it's about as much of an mmo as Diablo).

My first and only MMORPG was World of Warcraft.

Played it for a good long while, and for the most part, I had fun.

Unfortunately, my experience got bogged down the further I played.

I wanted to play with my friends on there, but considering how much time I got to play in comparison to them, I would usually be underleveled. I would see people who were at one point at a lower level than I am boost their way forward in a matter of a few weeks while I lagged behind. So, I would end up trying to find people via chat whenever I needed help with a quest or a dungeon. That process in itself was quite tedious.

I also played as a Tauren Warrior. It kinda sucked for the most part, as I went up to higher and higher levels of play, my armor costed more and more to maintain. So as a result, I could never pony up enough gold to buy myself a mount. (Mounts were a lot more expensive than they are now I hear) So I couldn't help but feel a little left out when I see so many people with mounts.

Eventually, I got sick of how much the game was consuming my life and stopped playing for a while. I donated all the in-game money I had to the guild I was in, left it, stripped off all of my armor, stood on the edge of a cliff, and yelled via chat:

"GOODBYE WORLD OF WARCRAFT!"

And jumped to my doom.

A few months later, I tried the game again as a Dark Elf Druid, it was fun for a while, but then I got bored and stopped playing again. This time for good.

I have never played or have any intention of playing another MMORPG ever again. And personally, I wouldn't really miss the genre if it disappeared. No offense to any MMORPG fans on here.

TERA
60 dollars for a stupid outfit and the most annoying dance in existence! OH BOY! (In short, Absolutely not.)
Everquest 1 and 2
Everquest 3 (AKA Everquest Next)

New ones or..? Anyway, WoW this evening. And latest new one is The Secret World.

Yes, on both above.

WoW, no other game can compete. Way over 10k+ hours played (who needs life anyway?)

Actually Neverwinter looks decent enough so i am waiting that.

Guild Wars 2

Yes

Guild Wars

Yes (Phantasy Star Online 2)

LOTRO

Yes

LOTRO(it's the only one I play)

I have a passing interest in ESO, but nothing really grabs my attention.

Does borderlands count as an mmo? cause it sure felt like one (Not a good thing). Anyhow a more serious answer is runescape.

Nah that game's been the same for the last god knows how many years. Last thing I did on there was tell those people who literally spend all day outside the bank burning wood to stop as it was hurting the environment and they should burn coal instead. It wound them up a treat.

Again runescape, it put me off MMO's. It was probably better to play if you were a paying member, or at least that's what all the NPC's and Jagex kept telling me. I get it, you don't like people who didn't pay for your MMO. But please don't keep shoving member only items/areas into the free areas; it's rather off-putting and makes me want to play something else.

Unless they operate on a pay-once strategy, and even then not really. I don't think any game is worth paying for every month and, from what I can gather, the pay once mmo's aren't as good after a few months. I'm sort of keeping an eye on the elder scrolls online, mainly just for the lore rather than the actual game, but who knows it may be the first proper MMO I play.

Guild Wars 2 was the last full release I've played. I dabbled a bit in the Firefall beta around Christmas time.

Nope. GW2 wore off the moment I got a character to cap. I'd give Firefall another go but they've really cocked up the progression/crafting system and there's little point playing till they fix it.

Either WoW or DDO.

Nothing specifically. The genre has improved a lot due to modern tech, but every game I look at seems to be one or two steps short of where it needs to be. I'm still waiting for that one game that ties all the new ideas together and still manages to nail all the basics.

4RM3D:

It seems like things are in stasis as most wait for the great WOW beast to devour its own tail and die off.

4RM3D:
What is the last MMORPG you have played?

Warhammer online And Aion before that

4RM3D:
Are you still playing it?

No the player base has shrunk too much and player attitude has become very poor in that game

4RM3D:
Which MMORPG have you spend the most time on?

Warhammer online

4RM3D:
Are you looking forward to any new MMORPG?

I was looking forward to the 40K MMO but THQ before their demise scrapped that anyway so now id say nothing. I sometimes like the idea of getting into Warcraft but the 100+ price tag to get into the game fully is a too little intimidating.

4RM3D:

Was Ether Warframe or Vindictus, I also play DCUO to get my 'super hero' fix

My alternative are what? exactly? no other MMO ive played (and i've played a lot f eh) give me the same satisfaction for kills like Vin and WF do, so yeah, still playing. Still play DCUO to, even though it kind of dull. CoH was better in so many ways :/

City of Heroes (RIP) I was playing that for nearly 7 nears when it went down

No, nothing I've come across has given me reason to care. The death of City of Heroes, a 'skill bar' based MMO, has also killed my tolerance for such MMOs, so unless it's something that at a MINIMUM has Terra's combat system, I'm not likely to get it a second glance

Guilds War 2

Nope

WoW with close to 3 years on and off
and close second with City of Heroes with 2 years

Not at all, I'm quite tired of any MMO
There no new thing and everyone seem to want to do that

4RM3D:

In general, they need to fix the existing issues, before they introduce new bugged content.
Which can be applied to every MMO I've ever played.

LotRO

Yes. Switching toons as I type this.

EverQuest from Kunark to Yasheka(sp? the froggy expansion).

Not particularly. Most single player games that have tried to become a MMO is usually the death knell of the franchise.

I doubt we'll ever see another KotOR. And, I doubt we'll see another TES after the MMO, regardless of how it turns out.

4RM3D:

- The Elder Scrolls Online is coming, but IMO it doesn't look that great. Just a multiplayer version of Skyrim.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I haven't played an MMO since City of Villains back in like... 06? It was okay.
My first MMO was RuneScape. Baby's first MMO. I hear it's unrecognizable now.
The only MMO I remember fondly is Puzzle Pirates, because it was actually fun.

Technically the last MMO I played Was FF14, but I'm not allowed to talk about that, lest Square Enix send their lawyers round to repossess my computer.

-WoW.
-Which I'm still playing on and off, I'm busy with exams so y'know....
-and the longest one I've played is of course, WoW.

-I'm not really looking forward to any MMOs at the moment,anyone sensible knows that you just don't get excited, because most of the time it's just WoW with a paintjob, you get one or two friends who play it for the first month and call it the WoW-Slayer, you log on and are sucked in for a couple of days before you realise it's a really unpolished buggy version of WoW, you argue this with your friends, who by the end of the free month realise it too... then the game goes F2P.

Elder Scrolls looked interesting when they were still using Elder Scrolls style combat, but I've heard they've gone closer to the standard MMO combat, which is a crying shame.

Slightly on but off topic. Why is it loads of people don't know what an MMO is these days? LoL, Dota and Borderlands are not MMOs. Same as Guild Wars was not an mmo. Otherwise every game on the planet is an MMO by virtue of them all using a lobby system of somekind. the keyword is in the title MASSIVELY Multiplayer Online.

- What do you think of the state of MMORPGs these days?
I think it needs more variety overall. Games like GW2 and Tera tried to bring in some new combat mechanics, and GW2 especially did a lot of things right (love the exploration in that game), but both had major flaws and I'd like to see future realeases continue to refine those good ideas rather than revert to the WoW formula.

Guild Wars 2.

Nah, I hit the level cap and decided that the frustrating dungeons weren't worth farming for armor sets. The personal story was also a major letdown and badly botched in my opinion.

That would have to be WoW. I wouldn't want to calculate how many hours I lost to that game, but it was a lot.

I'm keeping an eye on TESO (in spite of the leaked beta footage) and Neverwinter, but I don't have high hopes for either. I'm perfectly happy right now playing other types of games and am not really eager for another MMO.

4RM3D:

To sum it up in a word: "Meh." The last few 'innovative' MMORPGs that came out turned out to be... well, sort of shit. I think a lot of developers working on MMOs are too prone to confusing the word 'gimmick' with 'innovation'. That said, I'm not sure there absolutely needs to be innovation, some of the more standard MMOs can be quite engaging.

4RM3D:

That would be The Secret World. When it went buy-to-play I figured 'what the hell', and gave it a shot. Honestly it's one of the better MMOs I've played, mostly thanks to the fantastic cutscenes that just ooze atmosphere.

4RM3D:

Eh, barely. I sort of stopped a week or so before Bioshock: Infinite came out, and ever since then I've had the post-Bioshock melancholy and been unable to really commit to a game, so I hardly log in anymore.

4RM3D:

The MMO I've spent the most time on by far is Rift (1,034 hours according to Steam). I grew rather attached to my guild in that one and became altogether waaaay too loyal to them (a story for another time). Eventually I just burned myself out and quit.

4RM3D:

Honestly, I haven't been interested in an upcoming MMO for some time now. Maybe something will grab my attention, but I haven't seen it yet.

I think MMO's were heading towards the same fate of the FPS genre, but the one thing MMO's had which actually hurt them but ended up saving them was the HUGE costs and Development time.

Everyone started making MMO's, but not enough of them started making money. Sure we aren't getting that many good MMO's but that's the thing, we aren't getting THAT many bad or good MMO's.

Now with the F2P/B2P Revolution, there's a new chance for MMO's to return to the golden days before World of Warcraft became the genre's Call of Duty equivalent (Or the other way around I suppose) and consequently... other companies obsessed with copying the success. You know... the days of Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, and even Vanilla WoW.

I think MMO's like Guild Wars 2 and TOR had steps in the right direction (the former much more so than the latter, but after the whore that became World of Warcraft it might take some time.

-The last MMO I played was FireFall a few weeks ago.

-No I stopped after about 30 minutes and never touched it again.

-World of Warcraft... indubitably... I don't even want to think about the amount of hours. My play time spanned from 2005-2011, with about the first 2 1/2 years being the most hardcore (about once a day), the next year or so checking in a couple times a week for some heroics and the last year and a half really just checking in on friends and the occasional raid.

-I'm still wishing well for Elder Scrolls Online but I'm not sure if itll be a game changer. Needless to say, Skyrim with Multiplayer doesn't sound bad at all to me. But really, it all comes down to if the game is subscription based or not.

4RM3D:

I thought most of the ire being directed towards it was because it doesn't look like it plays anything like an Elder Scrolls game?

What is the last MMORPG you have played?

Wizardry Online. It was fun!

Are you still playing it?

No, but only because I don't have time. I'll get back into it soon.

Which MMORPG have you spend the most time on?

Either DCUO, Grand Fantasia or Runescape. It's worth noting that I've never reached the "endgame" in an MMO.

Are you looking forward to any new MMORPG?

No.

The last MMO I seriously played was World of Warcraft. I cancelled my account in November or December after I'd raised two characters to the new level cap and obtained full sets of purple items from available raid content. LFR, mind, not "real" raids, but the motivation to move on to those wasn't just there. It just didn't feel anything like vintage World of Warcraft to me. It didn't even feel like a MMO.

I cut my teeth on EverQuest. EQLive, baby. Plane of Fear, Trakanon, Kael Drakkel(<3 barby mask <3), Shhsrhaahzaz or whatever the hell that awful moon place was called, and ultimately the Planes of Power. I was hardcore, as hardcore as one could be while doing serious ass-sitting while raiding five nights a week in order to top the DKP charts.

I was second in command of a scrub raiding guild. It was punishing. It was gruelling. There was no room for error. I remember once, during a Planes raid, we wiped--all, what was it, 60? of us--because the Cleric dropped her baby on the floor and broke the CH chain. I remember not being able to attempt the boss if enough people didn't show up. I remember not being able to defeat the boss if they didn't give it their all.

World of Warcraft was a step towards easier content, but originally it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is now. There was a strong sense of community World PvP facilitated rivalries amongst factions and individuals. There were opportunities for status symbols. I never wanted to put enough time into the game to achieve them myself, but knowing that a very small portion of elite players were out there with the absolute best gear, gear that I would never see, with which to fight battles I could only experience through YouTube, provided a sense of permanence that modern MMOs fail to capture.

Every subsequent MMO I've played has been more like a single player made to be enjoyed in the proximity of other single player gamers. Half the zones, even the newest ones, are empty. There's little group content; what's there is disposable. One need only run the Heroic dungeons once or twice to pass the LFR gear check. There's very little room to form bonds between players during dungeons due to the randomized nature. In levelling two characters from 1 to 90, I never encountered the same random players twice. You're dropped into a group with strangers, you don't talk outside of yelling at each other if you're intentionally terrible, usually referring to each other by class rather than name, and then they're gone just as quickly, never to be seen again. It's depressing, and completely defeats the point of playing a massively- anything.

I've tried the new Star Wars one, Lotro, Conan, and a few others here and there, but none have managed to capture the magic and grandeur of the originals. EverQuest, Dark Ages of Camelot, vanilla WoW, hell, even Anarchy Online and Shadowbane were better than the current crop. The end of an era? The end came at least a generation before the F2P explosion.

They're generally pretty terrible. The death of the theme park can't come soon enough for me.

I'm not sure if it counts, since I don't really play it as an MMO, but... Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's KotOR 3 with an optional chatroom, as far as I'm concerned. Has been from the start.

Before that... City of Heroes/Villains. The only MMO I actually got into as an MMO. As in, I didn't actively avoid interaction with other players. I even preferred to play in teams.

yes (sort of) for SWtOR... as for CoH, rub it in, why don't ya?

- Which MMORPG have you spent the most time on?

City of Heroes... before Villains came out, actually.

Sort of. I'm morbidly curious about Pathfinder Online. I expect a train wreck.

My last MMO was TOR and it absolutely drove me crazy. Not because it's a bad game per say, but the design was so stupid and inelegant the game almost felt like an insult. You buy force powers at a skills trainer. Because the feels Jedi. There's no difference between a 'run for 10 seconds longer' ability and using the force. The plot was you are the Chosen One! even though they knew this was an MMO and there would be thousands of people around you doing quests. It constantly bugged you to pay it money.

An intelligent human being did not design the Old Republic, a photocopier did. I'm not still playing it.

Saying that the most time I ever put into an MMO was Runescape (or Realm of the Mad God) I'm not really a fan of the genre. Particularly not how stagnant and un-using the multiplayer aspect they are.

Even now with so many failed WoW clones, EVE is still basically the only sandbox MMO in existence. Absolutely 0 people are taking a blank slate and actually asking what it means to have a massively multiplayer world and how to design interesting game concepts around that. Instead we've got a string of badly made, boring, padding filled RPGs with people kill-stealing your quest objectives under a sort of continual subscription content cycle with a multiplayer mode thrown in at the end.

Even the best of them, (probably WoW) isn't actually as fun as a normal RPG would be. We're just sort of accept that questing and gameplay will always be less interesting, less reactive, less vibrant with much much worse pacing in MMOs

I shall point out that the post only accounts for western MMOs.Visit east and we shall decide the future patch of WoW since its latest policy is to rip mechanics off unknown games.Let's see how can they pull off an active action combat mechanic on their game.

World of Warcraft is pretty much a facebook for gamers,its a last chance of acquiring a subscription of a deadbeat horse that provides a cow-clicker gimmick.

The future is there,most just ignore it

I used to play WoW for a while, but I only loved the exploration and the grind wasnt my thing (what do you need the gear for?...) and by now it looks so old and has so many aspects that should be improved.

I tried lots of free mmorgs after that but none got a hold of me till I started playing DCUO with my bf. Its got a nice combat system, but the quest are pretty stale. most noteable is the costume system that allows you to wear any look you gathered before while wearing any item for its stats. I dropped it when it went regionlocked and I couldnt play with friends oversees anymore.

guildwars2 was annouched and I bought it shortly after its first beta-weekend. Even those test-weekends were brilliant, in the long run it proved to not be able to keep my interesst. Too many thing where lacking, even it did so much right and the dev team doesnt care about the playerbases opinion.

A friend got my attention on fallen earth and for a free-to-play it is quite neat, with a very extensive crafting system that is truely grind-a-licious, but the questing gets very repeatitive and the game seems often quite too dead even for post-ap

If you count League of legends as an mmorpg, even its actually a moba, then I have to list it aswell cause i am playing it for over a year now and despite the terrible comunity I still love to play it, nothing else scratches the lol-itch...

Currently I like to play warframe, its a tps and everything you could buy from the store is available by just playing the game, it doesnt not have too terrible grind and is in that way very rewarding. Its AI and factions need to be extended, but it still is in beta and the dev team is very responsive to the fanbase and very eager to make a good game.

All at all most mmorpgs just try to copy something, or are just not what they could be (GW2 or especially defiance) and you cant half-ass that type of game. to be able to hold up to WoW you would need to do everything as good as wow, but use that its a new game so you can make it prettier and include improvements that other mmorpgs showed. So I guess if you know enough about that type of game and what the players want, you could frankenstein a game together without adding anything new and still be successful.

A sea of sameness.
It's funny because many a year ago when MMO's were just a secret whispered word at my high school that I could only dream of since we didn't have a PC nor internet, I imagined they were the omega ultimate end all of gaming experiences.

I mean, playing a game, but with a thousand other people? How amazing! The potential for incredible stories of chivalry, teamwork, betrayal, and maybe even love astounded me. I basically thought it would be gods gift to gaming.

How naive I was back then. I had no idea what 'meta' was, not an incling of 'sword and board', DPS, tanks, and all the other stuff that in my opinion, takes the "game" out of MMO's

Champions Online
Mhm.
Toss up between Dungeons and Dragons Online waaay back before it's makeover and Tales of Pirates.
I've went from being very indifferent upon the ES MMO announcement, to being fairly enthused about it.
So that one.

Even now with so many failed WoW clones, EVE is still basically the only sandbox MMO in existence. Absolutely 0 people are taking a blank slate and actually asking what it means to have a massively multiplayer world and how to design interesting game concepts around that. Instead we've got a string of badly made, boring, padding filled RPGs with people kill-stealing your quest objectives under a sort of continual subscription content cycle with a multiplayer mode thrown in at the end.

Well there's Ultima Online, it's what made publishers aware of the market in the first place, sadly everyone stopped making games in the same vein after WOW. Darkfall was the last MMO with a sandbox philosophy I remember but it failed badly. Even pvp MMO's died out, DAOC got too old and Warhammer online was wrecked by EA. It's a dire state, I still have a WOW sub and enjoy the pvp and what-not but the other games are mostly dead shells by now.

I played TOR when it didn't try to scam you for money at every turn(2 dollars for hiding a helmet?! Serious?) the campaign was interesting imo, it was basically KOTOR 3 with other people. The pvp was reasonable but they made some terrible mistakes with the balance and didn't develop it, the engine was incredibly laggy and couldn't handle the open world pvp on Ilum which died down, a lot about that game was sadly disappointing. The PVE was the same as every other goddamn game for the most part with the exception of some story-heavy flashpoints like the Revan one and the final one with Darth Malgus it was all filler. When it went f2p I tried to finish my Agent storyline but the xp was drastically reduced in rate to non-subscribers and there's a series of disadvantages(charging you to pvp more than thrice a week among a lot of other stuff.)

I've also played DCUO, pretty good game and gets f2p right, you have the entire base game at your disposal and if you want the content in the DLC packs(mostly new PVE progression.) you can buy it, great model and the game's good still play from time to time and even had a sub a while ago when I was more into it. If tor followed a similar model I'd probably still be into it.

I was ready to try GW2 but everyone I know that got swayed by the hype and bought at release forgot about the game already. Although the cooperative nature and the "dynamic" quest system stuff looked interesting it's not justifying the rather steep price tag just to be possibly disappointed.

Well, if that PS4 poll was to be believed, multiplayer has become mostly undesirabel...Most people are tired of it. Most people who play free-to-play MMOs are just soloers lured in by the ability to play a game for free.

*LotRO/DDO/Conan.
*Maple Story/Trickster Online.

*When I go into me yearly "I feel like playing an MMO" phase, I play each one for a week.

*I've tried about 30-40, but these are the ones I come back to.

- Which MMORPG have you spent the most time on?

*LotRO & MS.

*Elder Scrolls Online.
*Neverwinter.
*Still holding my breath for Gamefreak to make a Pokemon MMO.
*Yogventures (Actually, I won't be using the multiplayer option).

I have tried many MMORPG's, but most of them seem to suffer from one of two (or both) problems:

1) Way too buggy
2) Frontloaded with content, but nothing to do within a couple of weeks.

There is also one common problem for people who love PvE/raids like me: Absolutely nobody out there apart from Blizzard can design good raid bosses it seems. They seem to be only able to create tank and spank fights or fights with very simple mechanics.

As for WoW, I've been playing it with some breaks since its release, and I can safely say that with Mists of Pandaria the raiding content is at an all time peak. Both tiers they have released this far have been chock full of completely new and fresh mechanics and the boss fights, although they vary in quality, always range from "good enough" to "holy shit this is awesome". Combine that with the fact that the heroic mode of the 25 man content is absolutely murderous (it took guilds that raid 18 hours a day 6 weeks to beat). That must be very hard for a game that is 8 years old, yet they are managing it admirably well. The only people who complain about WoW's current state seem to be, ironically, the ones who are not playing it, and are thus clueless about what is actually going on. So, all in all, I don't really need a new MMO right now, because noone comes even close to the level of PvE raiding that Blizzard can produce.

4RM3D:

To many Wow Clones, I'd kill for some more Eve style MMOs, not space per say but something with real persistance, a market and depth.

Tera

Not really no

Eve Online I played for 5 years

No not really, none of them are really new.

4RM3D:

I think the mentality of companies towards MMO is incorrect. They want theirs to be some huge breakout hit like WoW was and that's simply not going to happen. Most of the MMOs I've tried over the years feel half-assed at best, and built blindly at worst. They spend almost no time testing them prior to release and then they don't take care of them afterwards. If I had to put it to words, the mindset seems to be that devs can't separate MMOs from a standalone console game. It almost seems like this ridiculous game of trying to make assloads of money initially then kill it before they lose what they made.

Guild Wars 2

No, after about level 23 I lost interest because it felt like there really wasn't anywhere to progress. I had all of my key abilities by level 4 and I never seemed to really get stronger; in fact it felt like I was getting weaker. It was a beautiful game and the combat was interesting but not really game changing. That the game really seemed to punish you for doing typical MMO activities like farming was sort of the final nail in the coffin.

World of Warcraft, easily. I think my main character has something like 160 days of played time racked up. Honestly it's usually where I find myself after a new MMO fails to keep my interest.

Not really, and a large part of that is because I've been burned by so many new MMOs in the past. I'm sick of new MMOs. Hell I'm sick of buying into new MMOs; I'm practically guaranteed to not get my money's worth. I know this makes lots of people rage, but WoW is the only one that has been able to hold my interest. I just have fun when I play it.

At the present time I don't think it's possible for a new giant of MMOs to emerge. Everyone's jumped on the bandwagon of F2P and B2P; from what I've seen is that those two business models result in sub-par games. MMOs are like The Highlander, there can be only one, and until such time that WoW goes away of it's own accord I think we'll continue to see sub-par MMOs because they're financially unable to survive on a subscription model. Monthly subscriptions are the key to a great MMO as far as I can tell. With the other two the company's money either trickles in or comes in a large burst then dries up. WoW started off pretty bad off, but subscribers paying out money each month allowed it to get over that hurdle. Of course this also means there's not enough money in the market for other games to survive on a subscription.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked