So did no one play Chronicles Of Riddick?

Pick this up at my gamestop for 6 dollars. two campaigns. one's a remake of an Xbox game apparently.

I'm almost finished with the first campaign (Escape from butcher bay), I can't believe this isn't talked about in the same breath of the Bioshock franchise. It's a nifty little FPS with stealth elements, and plays kinda like those old school FPS where you need to find keys to unlock the door and what not.

I have Escape From Butcher Bay on the original Xbox and it's one of my favourite FPS games. Slightly disappointing final stretch and it's a little short, but everything else is perfect. The graphics are incredible for the Xbox as well.

I got Assault on Dark Athena from GOG last year and, while the Escape campaign is still fun, it's just not the same as the original. There were some bits where it forces you to fight where you could sneak past in the original (the first fight against one of the mechs comes to mind). Still a fantastic game, though.

SaneAmongInsane:
Pick this up at my gamestop for 6 dollars. two campaigns. one's a remake of an Xbox game apparently.

I'm almost finished with the first campaign (Escape from butcher bay), I can't believe this isn't talked about in the same breath of the Bioshock franchise. It's a nifty little FPS with stealth elements, and plays kinda like those old school FPS where you need to find keys to unlock the door and what not.

I still champion it as one of the best film-licensed games ever made. Hell I think it made a better game than film :P

Dark athena is still good, but butcher bay is the better of the two.

The way it blended several gameplay styles (stealth, shooting and a bit of RPG'ing) was fresh and new at the time.

Too bad starbreeze have failed to top butcher bay yet. Which is funny, since I think it was their first game too.

Yeah, I played it a few months back. It was really good. Slow opening, but once you got the night-vision I felt like it really picked up.

The melee combat was a bit more fun in Dark Athena because you got Riddick's Ulaks and a few new weapons, but it had an absolutely abysmal final boss-fight. One of the worst I've ever seen, which is too bad because the rest of Dark Athena was still just about as good as Butcher Bay.

Like Yahtzee said in his review though, the spider turrets in Dark Athena can go to hell...

Ehhhhh...

Butcher Bay was alright. Although I felt it didn't do itself any favours with the shooting bits. Would have been better as a "pure" stealth game with brawly bits.

Dark Athena felt like a step down. Oh, and then there was that bit after you get down to the planet. That was just plain crap.

Also, I kinda hate Ricddick as a character. There's this one bit in Dark Athena where he comes across a child stowaway hiding in the vents. He promptly starts growling "badass" lines at her. ("No, not hiding, I'm hunting.") At a scared eight year old kid. What the fuck is wrong with this guy? Both games come across as being a bit too much in love with him, going to great efforts to show him as a total badass who eats bullets for breakfast and the beating hearts of his enemies for dinner. Gets real tiresome real quick. And don't even get me started on "furions".

Sure, when the game came out it got plenty of good press but that was also around 8-9 years ago which in videogame time might as well have been a century ago.

Good game though, definitely. Still even looks pretty good on the PC so definitely worth checking out if anyone who hasn't played the game is thinking about it.

Zhukov:
Ehhhhh...

Butcher Bay was alright. Although I felt it didn't do itself any favours with the shooting bits. Would have been better as a "pure" stealth game with brawly bits.

Dark Athena felt like a step down. Oh, and then there was that bit after you get down to the planet. That was just plain crap.

Also, I kinda hate Ricddick as a character. There's this one bit in Dark Athena where he comes across a child stowaway hiding in the vents. He promptly starts growling "badass" lines at her. ("No, not hiding, I'm hunting.") At a scared eight year old kid. What the fuck is wrong with this guy? Both games come across as being a bit too much in love with him, going to great efforts to show him as a total badass who eats bullets for breakfast and the beating hearts of his enemies for dinner. Gets real tiresome real quick. And don't even get me started on "furions".

Near as I can tell, Riddick is a sociopath. It be odd for him to have any positive interaction with a child... I dunno, I'm just going off Butcher Bay which I just beat.

The Madman:
Sure, when the game came out it got plenty of good press but that was also around 8-9 years ago which in videogame time might as well have been a century ago.

Good game though, definitely. Still even looks pretty good on the PC so definitely worth checking out if anyone who hasn't played the game is thinking about it.

Maybe I'm in a rock, on mars, because I feel the same way about this game that I do Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Seems like a total sleeper hit.

The gameplay holds up big time. Totally playable, I played it after finishing Bioshock Infinite.

I tried playing Escape from Butcher Bay a long time ago. Unfortunately, it kept crashing on me at an early point(I think I was in the vents?) and I never figured out how to fix it. Maybe I should give it another try.

I tried the demo that was on the movie disc half a lifetime ago.
Was very pleasantly surprised.

Zhukov:

Well... you're not really supposed to like Riddick as a character though. He's as much a 'hero' as Kratos is. I don't know if you've ever seen the two films, but Riddick was never built up as a relateable guy. He's every bit the 'badass' to 12-year old Kyra in Pitch Black.

I get not liking him and all, and it's a lame excuse since you're playing the guy, but still.

I have it, good games but I never finished the second one. I might at some point but it's pretty much the same as the fist one, playing them back to back got too repetitive, the story and characters weren't nearly interesting enough to make me bother pushing past that and I don't really have any motivation to pick it up again.

Yeah I have 'em both. Played 'em both, didn't quite finish butcher bay because the final boss was too hard. Or maybe I did finish it, can't remember. Both good games though.

Bioshock . . well, bioshock has always struck me as overrated. Sorry, I don't love it like everyone does. Never played 2, haven't played Infinite either (and wont until it goes down in price). I just didn't think Rapture was all that interesting though. The big daddies weren't scary either when you could pick when to fight them. The rest of the enemies were all pretty samey. I just . . . have played better games. Doom 3 had better atmosphere man. Preferred Prey as well, maybe not the combat, but the story.

I've got Dark Athena (and, by extension, Butcher Bay) on Steam, I really need to work on them.

I played Butcher Bay on PC yonks ago and loved it dearly.

Never played Dark Athena, is it worth it?

SaneAmongInsane:

It was quite praised at a time. But it didn't get any development, so everyone has forgotten it. It kinda remains in the memories shaded by "Doom 3 vs Half-Life 2" battle of '04.

Butcher Bay is well talked about on these very boards. Not wure where you get the idea that nobody played it.

with the new movie on the way it might be time to dust off my copy of butcher bay, I remember getting much of the way through it, but at some point getting distracted away from the game and never going back

I fecking love Butcher Bay and have had my copy for years. One of my favorite games for the original Xbox. Can't speak for Dark Athena, but I heard it was decent. Still, Butcher Bay is a classic in my eyes.

SaneAmongInsane:

Butcher Bay was a good game, but some of the quest in the prison were way outta date in the way they went about it. The creatures were just awful, but I did appreciate the old school difficulty of it all. It was a hard game with a good Riddik characterization. The stealth mossttlyyy worked and I loved shooting all the lights. Dark Athena.. I started it but have not finished since I stopped being active duty. I got better games since, like Inifinite, but Butcher Bay was damn good...If the ending was only better

Zachary Amaranth:
Butcher Bay is well talked about on these very boards. Not wure where you get the idea that nobody played it.

In all fairness, it's just not mentioned as much. Sure I've seen it but I think mostly in threads about movie tie in games, I can't recall if I encountered it in a different thread. Perhaps.

At any rate I never played it - I recall it was one of the first games my PC couldn't handle at the time, so I never got it. By the time I upgraded, I didn't really think of looking back and picking up what I missed. I also didn't play Splinter Cell for the same reason.

Never even tried it and apparently it's region locked for me on Steam. Might trade it over the summer sale though if I can remember.

SaneAmongInsane:

Maybe I'm in a rock, on mars, because I feel the same way about this game that I do Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Seems like a total sleeper hit.

Wait what? I thought it was highly critically acclaimed and managed to not suck while being the prequel of one of the best games in history. It also sold a shitload because when Square threw it's tantrum about how they should be selling gorillions of games with their Eidos and IO IP's (tomb raider, hitman etc) they never actually mentioned Deus Ex.

I loved both Butcher Bay and Dark Athena! Although to be honest the reason I liked Dark Athena was more because of the environments than the story!

Butcher Bay was really good though... especially if you are a Riddick fan... It is a staple part of the story just to see him get shined by Pope Joe! (Or not! :P)

Also... Come on... Ulaks!

Butcher Bay was great, and it still looks damn good today, environment-wise.

I thought Dark Athena stunk.

Escape from Butcher Bay is an incredible game. One I highly recommend to everyone. It's really unique in design and it's so much better than the actual movies. And I love how Dark Athena comes bundled with HD remake of Butcher Bay. And the graphics are actually significantly improved in that version. Those guys really did a good job. I hope they make another one now that another movie is also on it's way. I only hope they don't try to make it appeal to CoD fanbase instead of it's original fanbase. Escape from Butcher Bay was a critically acclaimed game.

I was thoroughly and pleasantly surprised at how good Escape from Butcher Bay. I went in expecting a crappy movie to game adaptation and got one of my best games of 2004. I never played Dark Athena, just haven't gotten around to it.

Auron:
Never even tried it and apparently it's region locked for me on Steam. Might trade it over the summer sale though if I can remember.

SaneAmongInsane:

Wait what? I thought it was highly critically acclaimed and managed to not suck while being the prequel of one of the best games in history. It also sold a shitload because when Square threw it's tantrum about how they should be selling gorillions of games with their Eidos and IO IP's (tomb raider, hitman etc) they never actually mentioned Deus Ex.

I only hover around 3 news websites that follow games, and generally if I don't see something mentioned on here or there I'm in the dark on things. I didn't even know Deus Ex was an RPG/Shooter until I picked it up when I was desperate for a new game. The packaging put me off.

i got the orignal one on PC and completed it.. amaazing game imo :P

I played a bunch of Butcher Bay, both when it was on the Xbox and then again on the re-release, but both times I just reached a point where I didn't really want to play any more. I don't prefer stealth games in general. I also found it to be too dark (which I know was the point, but still.)

SaneAmongInsane:

Escape from butcher bay was awesome one of my favorite games of last gen. I got the remake on day one. I should go back and play it again. Way better than the film that it preceded (not pitch black i actually liked that one.)

Anyway wtf is you avatar off, its killing me.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked