Escapists! Do you use the Nintendo eShop?

I've been debating the Nintendo eShop with myself for a few days now, wondering whether to use it or not.

Pros: Games delivered over the air, whenever you want with no "out of stock"

Cons: Pay Full Retail Price for a data file with questionable permanency, can you re-download games if you lose an SD card?

So, do you guys use it for the 3DS or WiiU? If so, why, if not, why not?

I don't really, I like physical copies better. Not only does it look prettier on a shelf, but it's yours forever, and no one can take it away.

Unless someone breaks into your house and physically takes it away...

I use it, bought 3 Virtual Console titles (soon to be more) and Pokemon Dream Radar.

TheKasp:
I use it, bought 3 Virtual Console titles (soon to be more) and Pokemon Dream Radar.

Virtual Console I can kind of understand, but I'm not sure if I'd get 3DS releases on the eShop.

Isn't that the virtual shop that's attached to the machine and not the account making it so if it breaks gets stolen or spontaneously combusts you lose it all? I'm all for digital media and delivery systems but if this information is correct I'd probably stay away from it.

No I buy hard copies of games for handhelds I don't know why it just feels weird not to.

Nope. I always go for physical copies. Might get the non-3D Cave Story off of there though.

Auron:
Isn't that the virtual shop that's attached to the machine and not the account making it so if it breaks gets stolen or spontaneously combusts you lose it all? I'm all for digital media and delivery systems but if this information is correct I'd probably stay away from it.

I think it's updated to the account now

x-Tomfoolery-x:
Nope. I always go for physical copies. Might get the non-3D Cave Story off of there though.

I'm hearing good things about Cave Story.

ResonanceSD:
I'm hearing good things about Cave Story.

Well, if you like Metroid and jrpgs, you won't be disappointed. There's always the original freeware version, if you're interested in checking it out. The eshop one is Cave Story+ with the Wind Fortress mode.

http://www.cavestory.org/

I get tons of VirtualConsole games and other Wares. For full games I typically prefer a hard copy.

ResonanceSD:
I've been debating the Nintendo eShop with myself for a few days now, wondering whether to use it or not.

Cons: Pay Full Retail Price for a data file with questionable permanency, can you re-download games if you lose an SD card?

I don't use it to buy "Major" titles that are sold as a physical copy. However, I do use it to buy Virtual Console titles and other such things.

I bought a few cheap games from it for my 3DS, Picross, Pullblox, Fallblox and A Link To The Past, I wouldn't buy any titles that I could get a physical copy of for several reasons:

1. The download service is fairly buggy and the download seems to restart itself every now and then.

2. The file sizes will be pretty large, which makes the problem above a lot worse.

3. The prices are significantly higher than buying a physical copy.

4. Not many titles are available for digital download (at least last time I checked.)

5. If I remember correctly, downloading a game disables your 3DS from performing other tasks while the process occurs.

6. Download speed is fairly slow as far as I can tell.

7. eShop is very poor at informing you on the status of your download (the size of your download in bytes, download speed etc.)

Basically the eShop on the 3DS at least is only really useful for smaller titles which you can't buy physical copies of. I would not recommend using the eShop for the 3DS unless it is impossible to get a physical copy of the game you want.

ResonanceSD:

can you re-download games if you lose an SD card?

Yes, and if you get a new DS you can use the transfer program to transfer all purchased titles to the new 3DS and remove access from the previous one.

OT: I use it quite a bit. Not so much on the Wii U because I've got a slow internet connection so ordering it online is more likely to be quicker. I wish I was kidding.

On the 3DS I have New Super Mario Bros. 2, Professor Layton Mask of Miracles and Monster Hunter 3.
Added to that I got the ambassador club games (10 NES 10 GBA) some other NES games, some GameBoy Colour games and a few 3DS ware games. I am also going to buy Fire Emblem from there when I get the time to play it.

As far as I can see the biggest advantage of it is that when I am going somewhere I don't have to bring the entire game collection with me. I got one 32GB memory card that currently hold more than 30 games.

Auron:

I'm not sure about the Wii U, but it used to be like that at least, hopefully that's fixed now. The 3DS doesn't have this though. It's strange how they seem to get worse at this rather than improve...

Yeah I use it, most of my games for my 3DS are digital. I only get retail now days if there is a nice special edition, if I can get it significantly cheaper or if I want a used copy.

I'm only going to use it for DLC for Fire Emblem. Otherwise, I prefer hard copy.

Sometimes yeah. I bought Pokemon Dream Radar and some DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening. I'm gonna probably be some more DLC and maybe Animal Crossing on my 3DS.

I've bought Pushmo and Link's Awakening off the shop. No issues so far.

Oh yes, for games that I can't get physical copies of, anyway. I have bought a metric butt-ton of stuff off the eShop for my 3DS, and have been playing the crap out of HarmoKnight recently.

I suppose you're not counting Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC or the Ambassador Program games?

I use it to download demos and not much else, because I can rarely be arsed to go out and buy a pre-paid card when I could just get a physical copy of the game.

ResonanceSD:

Well the games are tied to your hardware, so losing the SD card is okay, but your Hardware breaking or getting lost isn't. Even though I do not agree with Nintendo crap policies with their DLC, I do buy games on the eSHOP, but only on the 3DS.

I do not buy digital retail games though.

You can re-download games, but only on the hardware that it was originally purchased on (an archaic and suspect way to handle dlc that forces people to rebuy games eventually)

I use it for eShop games, but I'll never use it for retail games. I'll take an actual physical thing and the fact that I own it over paying the same amount of convenience any day. What I have bought is Little Inferno, Trine 2, Mighty Switch Force and the four 30p Virtual console games that have been released (can't wait for Super Metroid for only 30p).

SlaveNumber23:
I bought a few cheap games from it for my 3DS, Picross, Pullblox, Fallblox and A Link To The Past, I wouldn't buy any titles that I could get a physical copy of for several reasons:

1. The download service is fairly buggy and the download seems to restart itself every now and then.

2. The file sizes will be pretty large, which makes the problem above a lot worse.

3. The prices are significantly higher than buying a physical copy.

4. Not many titles are available for digital download (at least last time I checked.)

5. If I remember correctly, downloading a game disables your 3DS from performing other tasks while the process occurs.

6. Download speed is fairly slow as far as I can tell.

7. eShop is very poor at informing you on the status of your download (the size of your download in bytes, download speed etc.)

Basically the eShop on the 3DS at least is only really useful for smaller titles which you can't buy physical copies of. I would not recommend using the eShop for the 3DS unless it is impossible to get a physical copy of the game you want.

My experience has differed greatly from yours.

1. I've never had a file or system crash while downloading software or ever had it restart.
2. Full games are usually sized between 4k and 8k blocks.
3. The prices are the standard MSRP, sometimes they are discounted; there's a section for games on sale.
4. There are definitely not as many titiles available digitally than physically, yes.
5. You can actively download which prevents you from doing anything else, or you can have it download in the background and use your wifi connection if you are not using it. It's the same that every other console works.
6. Download speeds are going to mostly depend on your ISP, it took me about 10-15 minutes to fully download Etrian Odyssey 4
7. The shop displays the file size before you download it, but yeah it doesn't show transfer rate or estimated time left, but there is a progress bar with absurdly annoying sound effects that you can't turn off.

The eShop is good, not great. Definitely serviceable.

Its a pretty good service for indie games and retro titles, albeit limited at the moment (the Wii U one, anyway) but I don't bother using it to download games available at retail.

The reasons?

1. I like having physical copies, because the boxes look nice on my shelf, and because that way, I undisputably own the game.

2. It's cheaper to buy them from Amazon or wherever. Pre-owned = super bargain, and even brand new, the retail prices are usually more competitive.

I have used it to get Fire Emblem Awakening and Paper Mario on the 3DS. I got a big memory card (DO THIS IF YOU PLAN ON GETTING RETAIL GAMES) so space wasn't a problem. Most Nintendo titles take forever to go down in price, and I prefer to avoid buying used. Plus my living situation has me packing stuff often, so less physical media makes things easier.

I wish the interface was better. More like the WiiU version. But it's serviceable.

3ds, yes. Not often for full games purely because they are significantly more expensive than amazon or shopto on release. I got fire emblem awakening 2 days before release for 10 less than the eshop price.

The interface is... serviceable and sleep mode downloads work well, I just need to get me a better SD card.

I don't even know how to acsess the bloody thing.

I do use it, yes. But not for 3DS titles. If I buy a 3DS title, it'll only ever be a physical copy. I've never used the Wii U eShop.

Only for DLC, demos and little titles exclusive to the eShop.
Nintendo ties all of your stuff down to a console rather than an account, so you run a higher risk of getting borked should something happen. For that reason, I hunt down my 3DS titles rather than DL them.

I do sometimes, mostly for games that are e-Shop exclusive like Crimson Shroud or Pushmo or Virtual Console games, but I also used it to download Fire Emblem and the DLC for it. Although like most people here it seems, I'm pretty old fashioned about my games and prefer physical copies when I can get them.

The local copies of Fire Emblem: Awakening were sold out in record time (pre-order only, from what I could tell).
So yeah, I used the E-Shop. I've used it for a few other purchases, and to get my Ambassador Games.

It's not that bad of a system, though I still find the classic games to be grossly overpriced.

Well I just got Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward from it, because nobody stocks it here.

I don't, but only because retail tends to be cheaper here. I have no attachment to physical copies.

I download demos a lot, though.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked