Invert on gamepads or not
Yes
33.3% (7)
33.3% (7)
No
66.7% (14)
66.7% (14)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Major gaming problem................................. Inverted joystick or normal

So there I was about to go back playing some console games which I haven't done so in a while but then it struck me what do I choose for for the joystick when looking around.
With tablets and other touch pads you push up to go up like mice,on a proper joystick you pull back (inverted) but gamepad joystick ISN'T A PROPER JOYSTICK !!!

It's almost as bad as when I moved from playing aeroplane sims to space sims and couldn't decide whether I should keep side to side movement on the joystick to roll or switch it to turn or strafe!

How do I decide which to choose in these topsy turvey times?

I usually just stick to normal but I can cope with either. I can't remember who said it but someone said inverted made more sense if you imagined the thumbstick on the back of the characters head.

Vern's rules for inverted joysticks:

3D Camera controls = inverted y-axis

StarFox = inverted y-axis

Everything else should be normal

For me if the game is in first person i play with inverted-y axis .

If the game is 3rd person i'll keep it normal .

It it's star fox i'll invert the y-axis.

I have ye to meet a person that inverts the x-axis for any reason.

Unless I use an actual Joystick, I prefer the Y-axis not inverted. X-axis is always normal.

You can always just choose one arbitrarily and switch if it's not comfortable. If both are equally uncomfortable, you'll just have to choose one and stick with it until it becomes comfortable.

I play normal.
When I tilt up, I look up, simple as that. I've been doing it for too long, if I switch, I'm going to suck. ALL my friends play normal.
Let it be known, I'm not saying inverted is wrong, I play Ace Combat inverted (it's a flying game, I would LOVE to meet the person who plays those with normal controls) it's just that I and everyone I know plays normal.
Except for ONE friend I have. Had him over to play Bioshock Infinite, I see him go into options, setting his stuff, I'm thinking "Well, whatever makes him comfortable." All of a sudden he switches to inverted look. I was taken so aback, it just confused the heck out of me, I never suspected I would see the day someone picked inverted look scheme.

Able Seacat:
I usually just stick to normal but I can cope with either. I can't remember who said it but someone said inverted made more sense if you imagined the thumbstick on the back of the characters head.

When I asked him about it, he said the same thing. He pictures the stick on the back of the characters head, he just does. Once again, not saying he's wrong, it's just not common around me.

Captcha: one hit wonder
Ain't he just.

I always invert my look, I blame the ridiculous amount of time I spent playing flight sims during my formative years.

Drives my friends absolutely nuts since I am the only one of us that does it. Passing controllers around during big gaming sessions causes all kinds of "hold on, pause so I can fix the controls" moments.

If I'm playing a flight sim then it's inverted. For everything else, I play normal.

Able Seacat:

For me the right stick has always been like the neck, which is why I have it inverted. Maybe if I held the gamepad directly in front of me I could go un-inverted but I'm not about to try that.
I always thought it was a generational thing,like only old farts like me invert, but my brother in law (who's my age) can't play inverted. Whenever he comes over for gaming he has to switch the 2p controls.

If I move the stick up, I want to look up. Down is down and up is up. So, normal for me.

I do use inverted controls for flying games, though, because that's how planes work, right? Yeah.

i couldn't imagine trying to use normal controls to look around. i see it as moving the camera, not moving the perspective. to those people saying 'press up to look up', i don't see it that way. i see it as 'press up' camera goes up. if the FoV also went up it would just confuse me. if the camera is higher and looking down at the player, the FoV should be looking lower, not higher... >.>

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked