Borderlands 2 drop rates are brutal

I'm in the middle of my second playthrough, in True Vault Hunter Mode, and the game give me NOTHING. I mean it.

I've ran through bosses, minibosses and the like, and have gotten nothing.
In my first playthrough I only got like 2 legendaries , one from a slot machine, and one as a guaranteed quest reward.

This game is bullshit when it comes to giving you tools to handle yourself , sorry but it's true.

(People who pirated the game have apparently infinite golden keys to open the chest in sanctuary. Yay for them).

Seriously, fuck this game. I'm facing Super Badasses left and right and they drop shit. They don't even drop Eridium anymore, I have to go grind for it.

Welcome to loot based dungeon crawlers. That's their shtick.

EDIT: Also co-op gets you better loot so get on that.

Yeah, the drop rates are pretty average and this was a major talking point on the borderlands 2 forums with some people trying to farm for certain legendaries such as the infinity and some people were reporting up to 1000 kills (I think there were some with loads more) just to get the one drop.

As for useful loot, they screwed themselves up by making the levels exponential compared to the linear leveling in the first game. This means a level 40 gun is almost useless at level 43 in borderlands 2 whereas in the first game a level 40 gun could be useful for about 10-20 levels (depending on original strength of the gun).

You want me to link all my shiny stuff? I can if you want.

You don't tend to get good drops from badasses, other than generic purples and e-techs (though they can be just as good as the oranges). They changed it up so that each legendary has an increased drop chance from a specific named mob. So the Hellfire comes from Scorch in Frostburn Canyon, for instance (pretty good drop rate on that one), and the Infinity comes from Doc Mercy in Three Horns Valley (abysmal drop rate on that one, don't even bother). I'm not a fan of the change, but yeah, the legendaries are still there if you know where to get them.

1. find areas where you can farm god-lioths, they drop purples.

2. there are some legendaries that are easy to farm, the end of the clan war questline for example. Literally takes 15 seconds to do a run (hint, warp in from the trainyard. When you restart you wil zone in at the trainyard where the boss is instead of at elli's)

3. Legendaries, at least at level 50, can be quite....crappy. I have a lev 50 volcano sniper rifle, its crap compared to my 50 purple fire sniper rifle.

....and I just realized that ive yet to do the DLCs in BL2....

You aren't kidding, that's for damn sure. I can count the legendary drops I have received on one hand. I got The Bee, the pistol knuckle dragged drops, an explosive assault rifle from Midge Mong and... a rapid infinity which was in the chest on the back of a loot Goliath. I couldn't believe it when I found that gun in that chest.

Crappy thing is it's a level 19 Rapid Infinity because I was leveling up a new Commando at the time. I think it's pretty unlikely I will get another one any time soon damn it.

It's all luck, On my first playthrough, (excluding quest reward legendaries) I found 1 legendary, which was the Conference Call I found in a random chest. In True Vault Hunter mode, I had the Longbow drop from a creeper on the first kill. I'm playing through Ultimate Vault Hunter mode right now, I have yet to see a legendary, but i'm still only less than halfway through it.

BUT I also had a second character, I played with 2 different friends, and we had found 4 legendaries just playing through the game. If I remember correctly, it was the Gub, Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Fabled Tortoise, and whatever that legendary SMG Scorch drops is.

I tried farming the Maggie off Mick Zaford when I hit level 50, took me maybe 25 kills before it FINALLY dropped.

Edit: By coincidence, I got a legendary later today. The Bonus Package dropped off of Bewm Boom when I was going back through there for a quest. My first pearlescent also dropped from the first Legendary Loot Midget I encountered. Too bad it was The Storm. Still though, it's pretty luck based.

I got myself LOADS of drops. Most were rubbish but there are a few that are great and are always dropped by certain bosses.

The only item that pisses me off when it doesn't drop is a special head for the Mechromancer off of Henry the Stalker.

I definitely agree. It was one of the reasons why BL2 didn't have the same spellbinding effect on me as the first one had. Most good guns became shit in just a few levels, and the enemies seemed to have way too much health, often prolonging the firefight to the point of boredom. Badass Loaders were probably the worst offender, when I had to pelt them for like 5 minutes straight with a good caustic SMG to take them down. Even when I played full 4-player co-op I still felt only like 1 weapon drop out of 10 were any good.

Meh, Pitchford and Gearbox are quite generous with the Golden Keys. Pay attention to their Twitter feeds or go to this site regularly for codes.

I'm currently playing through UVHM with a friend and the drops are decent. 90% of our good equipment comes from the Golden Chest and we're able to do well against all enemies.

RTSnab:

(People who pirated the game have apparently infinite golden keys to open the chest in sanctuary. Yay for them).

Ummm, you could cheat golden keys, or just straight up cheat, on a legit copy too (Before they patched the keys thing)... Unless it kicks you later? (I don't give a fuck; I only play single player)

There's this thing called "Cheat Engine" that let's you edit bits of the game in live memory. I used it to set the drop rate of legendaries to 2000 times its original value... It was great fun!

look for legendary loot midgets. The odds of getting something or other off of them seems to be about 1 in 5, which isn't bad. Aside from that, gearbox gives out golden keys on twitter and facebook almost every weekend. Otherwise;

The incessant bitching about things like this were what pushed me off of BL2's forums. I play BL2 obsessively and I don't think I've ever had a problem with any of the droprates. And that's not me talking out of my ass and then going and farming things, that's me getting legendaries. Like, out of chests, bosses and midgets. There are a couple of legends that have outrageous drop rates (the Infinity, Bee and Conference Call come to mind) but otherwise I've NEVER had problems. The only problem I ever have with borderlands 2 is it's seeming addiction to adding 0s to the end of numbers for some reason.

The DLC helps too - at the end of every playthrough I always go through and get at least one of the armories, either Hammerlock's or Scarlett's. You're pretty much guaranteed something worth using.

I really think they intended people to make several different characters, thus playing through the game many times as opposed to playing through once and just grinding the hell out of certain parts, as I have not done any grinding whatsoever and between all my characters (about 14-16) I have around 12 orange items.

bartholen:
I definitely agree. It was one of the reasons why BL2 didn't have the same spellbinding effect on me as the first one had. Most good guns became shit in just a few levels, and the enemies seemed to have way too much health, often prolonging the firefight to the point of boredom. Badass Loaders were probably the worst offender, when I had to pelt them for like 5 minutes straight with a good caustic SMG to take them down. Even when I played full 4-player co-op I still felt only like 1 weapon drop out of 10 were any good.

Just gonna add to this, they really, REALLY need to learn how to make a game where in which single player is just as difficult with characters such as Zer0 as it is with characters like the Commando (forgot his name). When I played through as Zer0 I found there were some missions that required me to be a good 5 - 8 levels higher than what the mission said I had to be. That's not fun, that's annoying. Also, there is far too many weapons that just suck, as in really aren't worth using at all regardless of level. While I always say variety is the spice of life, quality will always beat quantity; It doesn't matter if you have 3000 guns in a game when only 100 of them are worth it.

As much as it did annoy me at times, I enjoyed Borderlands 2, so while it has it's issues (and there are many) it wasn't a terrible game.

hazabaza1:

EDIT: Also co-op gets you better loot so get on that.

pretty much this... every coop game adds multipliers to the mobs HP/Strength for the number of players you're with.. and that also implies better rewards, so if you want shinny stuff you'll need to bring me people to your sessions.

The drops are what ruined the game for me. In TL2 I'd get at least one legendary an hour. In BL2 it took me like 35 hours to get my first one. Something's pretty fucked up with that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked