Fable 2's ending was as bad as Mass Effect 3's and sort of similar (Discussing Fable here, not ME3)

--Major Spoilers for a really old game ahead: Fable 2 obviously-- people replying will possibly spoil Mass Effect 3 as well

Was I the only one who played through that game fully expecting Theresa to be revealed in the end as the true villian? She was the one who got your sister killed by taking you to the palace, when Hammer wouldn't help you on the quest she led Lucien's troops to kill her father - all because she wanted the power that Lucien was unearthing for herself. The lack of boss battle with Lucien was the perfect setup to have a secret boss battle with Theresa if you refused her three, arbitrary, morality aligned choices.

I wouldn't want to fight my sister from Fable 1... Bitch came back from the dead after The Hero of Oakvale slit her throat, ain't no chance that Fable 2's protagonist would stand a chance.

I think most people were disappointed with Fable II, especially after Fable turned out to be a pretty adequate and fun little action-RPG but, par for the course, nothing like what Molyneux had been promising.

I find it a little odd to qualify Fable II as being a "really old" game, though. It's only been four and a half years.

If you want a more recent game that had an abysmal ending but was completely overshadowed because people were still raging at ME3, look no further than Assassin's Creed III. Granted, I didn't mind ME3's ending myself, but I'd still argue that ACIII had a worse ending by whatever scale everyone was using for Mass Effect. Though I suppose a lot of people were disappointed by it before the ending, too, so... still, just absolutely horrible.

I'm saying all of that because I never actually played Fable II myself, since I didn't have an Xbox 360 back when it came out and now that I do have one I can't really bring myself to buy the game since it doesn't really do anything different from the first game. As much as I liked the first game, I doubt I'd be able to stomach playing the same thing with a slightly different coat of paint and a worse story.

people always bring up fable in any debate about shallow morality mechanics in games and Fable II's narrative climax is one of the core examples in any such example.

But the fable franchise has never really made any attempt to hide that, in fact its aesthetic openly bathes in it for reasons i found quite potent in The Lost Chapters.

though the endings of Fable II's core quest is quite divisive they all clearly give the hero resources to keep questing, it was never intended as the end (towards some great dlc which i found quite thematically enriching).

i would say the game dosn't end with the core quest line but with my hero hanging up his(or her) cape, bloated old and scarred you're sick of questing and its never done you any good. Thats a great ending in my opinion and it mirrors the players ecsaserbated mentality by that point.

shortlty after the see the future dlc was this point for me, and by then i certainly felt as though theresa was the architect of my heros wasted life.

Yeah Fable 2s story was atrocious, but while it focussed far too much on its terrible writing it didn't do so nearly as badly as Mass Effect.

THey are both similar in having decent side quests and a truly awful main plot.

Fable II had the advantage that it was a much more open game where the main plot wasn't really the main draw of the game.

Also, no, the ending wasn't as bad. It was anti-climactic, but it didn't kill everyone in the galaxy, gave you an actual choice to make instead of "Which color?", and didn't have a trilogy's worth of build-up riding on it.

Fable 2 had no expectation of an important ending. As a story that isn't too deep, and really comes off as what it is, a fun little fable, it has a nice little ending that ties the story together well. I feel like people expect Fable to be much deeper than it actually is (I blame Molyneux for that), and when you take these games as simple, but with little aspects that are like sprinkles on ice cream, it becomes a very fun experience (though Fable 3 needed much more in the sprinkle department).

Mass Effect 3, however, IS a complex, deep game where you have been led to expect that every decision matters, where you can develop deep relationships with complex characters, and then you screwed them all over (less so in the extended cut, but still!). Shepard also has MUCH more personality than Sparrow, Shepard being highly characterized and easy to connect to, while Sparrow is a vessel you use to dick around Albion in. If Sparrow kicked the bucket in Fable 2, well, whatever. Shepard kicking the bucket? Super crappy.

Vorpal_Smilodon:
Was I the only one who played through that game fully expecting Theresa to be revealed in the end as the true villian? She was the one who got your sister killed by taking you to the palace, when Hammer wouldn't help you on the quest she led Lucien's troops to kill her father - all because she wanted the power that Lucien was unearthing for herself. The lack of boss battle with Lucien was the perfect setup to have a secret boss battle with Theresa if you refused her three, arbitrary, morality aligned choices.

I think there are a lot more things to get annoyed about in Fable 2. The inventory system, for instance, the schizophrenic alternating between fart jokes and tragedies, the combat system, the leveling system, relationships and the housing systems. I could go on. The problems were either underdeveloped, not refined, clumsy or unnecessary. The ending, though, I had no problem with. Sure, could have been better, but games don't have to have finale boss battles to be good games (Bastion, Amnesia the Dark Descent, Halo: CE). Also, I only really realised Theresa was a baddy right after she kicked me out the tower and brought my sister and dog back, which is odd.

Mass effect 3's ending was... not bad, that wasn't the feeling I got when I finished... just... so out of left field that it was a numbing experience. It numbed outright the happy feeling you get when you finish a good game. Fable 2, that was the ending I was somewhat expecting, or rather, the ending that the game flowed naturally towards. The way I would improve upon it would be to make that arbitrary choice actually have a bigger impact...

Right. Back to revision...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked