Xbox360: Available in 46 countries. Xbox One: Available in 21 countries (UPDATE: THE LIST OF 21)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So Microsoft stated that the new console will only be launched in 21 countries.
That's less than the half of the number Xbox 360 launched on and was available.

My guess is that this is because the console will require DSL or faster internet connection to work,and DSL isn't so widespread. Thankfully where I live we have DSL for some years... (Not that I was going to buy it anyway 'cause I'm playing on PC)
But God,I really wouldn't want to be in the position of the Microsoft fan that Microsoft decided to not allow him to play games next generation because he happened to be living in the wrong country. :/
Microsoft is forcing people to buy SONY.

UPDATE: And here my good people is the list of countries where XBOX ONE will be available:

If you are not living in one of those countries where the new "xbox one live" service is available,you won't be able to play games.
Because to play games you have to stick them to your account,and if you are not living in one of these countries you are not qualified to make an XBOX ONE live account.

The source of course is Xbox official webpage: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

well this console is either going to make microsoft or kill them and the way they seem to be digging this hole it keeps getting deeper and deeper

They are investing ONE BILLION US DOLLARS on exclusive titles for the FIRST YEAR. And they expect to sell 400 MILLION units of that thing. In less than HALF of the countries that Xbox 360 was available in.

On top of that it's expensive and it has all that stupid DRM.

IDIOTS!

man....the people in those 25 countries lucked out.

Is there anyway we can add the US to that list?

I think they only care about the NA market if you live anywhere else they dont give a shit. but then again they are treating even that market like shit thanks to their business practices.

As for their sales predictions I hope the Xbone does as well as it deserves.

Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release in those other countries partly because their new console violates the country's laws on privacy and such.

Is there a list of the countries not getting it? I want to know whether I won't even have to worry about it.

EDIT: Dammit, now I'm gonna have to go around and spread the word about the Xbone... Although, probably not as my friends are going to see the long term effects of MS' policies.

Pardon me while I excuse myself to my bedroom to laugh my ass off

I'm not sure people realize how critical the next year will be in laying out the future for DRM, games lending, etc. I figure MS only needs 30-40% market share to lure publishers into exclusivity deals, which will effectively neuter PS4 and turn the tide. Sony needs to completely obliterate MS if there's any hope of the Xbone nightmare going away.

Updated the first post,with the fresh list of the 21 countries where Microsoft will allow people to play XBOX ONE.

This is only on launch though, Was the 360 available to all 40+ countries on launch ?

God knows where I got 25 from

Available in the UK, thank you for gracing us with your presence MS. >_>

Captcha: Miles to go

- They certainly have plenty of ground to make up.

Wait, is Japan really not on that list, or am I just not seeing it?

I mean, yeah, the Xbox isn't exactly popular in Japan by any means of the word, but it still seems kind of strange that it's not even coming out there.

CaptQuakers:
This is only on launch though, Was the 360 available to all 25 countries on launch ?

I think the console was available to 40+ countries at launch. Of course LIVE came later.
The difference with XBOX ONE is that it will require LIVE to play any games at all.

Dirty Hipsters:

I mean, yeah, the Xbox isn't exactly popular in Japan by any means of the word, but it still seems kind of strange that it's not even coming out there.

Microsoft has absolutely horrid market penetration in Japan. Horrid. Tack on the fairly high price of localization for a country that barely gives them the time of day and I can see the reason for not includin it.

Xbox might not be that popular in Japan but it's one of the biggest markets in the world for gaming. They're just bowing out like that.

Same goes for China and South Korea. We're talking about BILLIONS of dollars at stake here and they don't even think it's worth trying?

Hmmm, not a very big list. But isn't their "big" feature, the TV nonsense, only applicable to the US though? How will people cope not being able to watch telly without this expensive ornament?

Good luck trying to sell those in Spain and Italy. (also Russia, Mexico and Brazil, cuz, you know, piracy and stuff)

At this point I'm wondering if the gaming branch of Microsoft has any marketing or economics advisors at all.

idarkphoenixi:
Xbox might not be that popular in Japan but it's one of the biggest markets in the world for gaming. They're just bowing out like that.

Same goes for China and South Korea. We're talking about BILLIONS of dollars at stake here and they don't even think it's worth trying?

They're bowin out because they tried for this entire current generation and failed miserably.

At the moment the numbers vary, but the 360 has a market share of somewhere around 1% in Japan. 1 friggin percent. It got so bad that major retailers in Japan literally would not stock the 360 because it would not sell. The consoles themselves were bein tossed in bargain bins far far below the market value because no one wanted the damn thing.

The only logical thing that Microsoft has done with the XBone so far was to pull out of the Japanese market.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Cutting out other countries is not going to go well... they deserve a chance to have it because they've been gamers themselves for all these years and now it's a "Sorry, your country doesn't have 'always online' and therefore you all miss out".

Then again maybe that's a good thing.. this console is just bad news I don't even want to get it despite my friends are. I'm still deciding on what to do.

sanquin:
Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release in those other countries partly because their new console violates the country's laws on privacy and such.

It doesn't, that's for sure. The XBOne is going to get released in Germany, and there it pretty much violates every computer-concerning privacy law in existence.

Also: China, Japan and Korea have been left out. That's a BIG market share that MS could've had.

In conclusion: This is the best argument for buying a PS4, and it's been brought to you by Microsoft themselves. Beautiful, beautiful irony.

Stavros Dimou:
If you are not living in one of those countries where the new "xbox one live" service is available,you won't be able to play games.
Because to play games you have to stick them to your account,and if you are not living in one of these countries you are not qualified to make an XBOX ONE live account

If this is anything like the shit they pulled with the 360, you just need to fill the address block with one that's from the supported countries.

The 360 and most of the Apple crap aren't supported in my country. Doesn't stop people from using it's services

Dirty Hipsters:

no, Japan was spared the evil that is the Xbone.

Which really isn't surprising, Xbox has never really sold well in Japan, the main consoles both being Playstation and Wii partly because of their size, partly because of their catalog of games.

fact, the main reason the XBox Original didn't sell well was due to its brick like nature.

The 360 didn't sell too well due to its bricking like nature games not being part of the same franchise Japanese gamers enjoy.

plus there seems to be a large interest in handheld gaming platforms in Japan than actual consoles.

OT: Poor South Korea, Peru..... wait..... Iceland?

Iceland isn't getting the Bone?

NEITHER IS GREENLAND?!

what the flying fuck? Did Microsoft just forget that those two countries exist or something?

or maybe they are lumping Iceland into United Kingdom's area.

Because, you know, those Icelanders love them the Queen and all, nothing like good old fashioned Icelandic love for the British.

Here is a handy map to show you all the countries it will be available in. It doesn't seem particularly bad to me - I don't know why they included Spain and Italy, but not Greece and Portugal though since all of those countries peoples have very little disposable income at the moment and in the case of Greece it is just very little income of any kind unfortunately. Greenland -nobody lives there, Africa again has very little disposable income, as does most of the middle east, as does Argentina and Xbox does not tend to do well in the far East. I am quite surprised that they haven't included the Baltic states though, as I was under the impression that they had rather good internet and whatnot.

People will be playing the Xbone in those countries, but with flashed consoles and pirated games, and I'm guessing Microsoft knows this very well. I'm probably the only person in my country who has an un-flashed Xbox 360 and plays genuine games only, and that's just because I'm lucky enough to be an expat with a foreign bank account. They know how it works and they will have market-researched the hell out of this before making the decision.

Kalezian:

...[snip]...
or maybe they are lumping Iceland into United Kingdom's area.

Because, you know, those Icelanders love them the Queen and all, nothing like good old fashioned Icelandic love for the British.

That's kinda how it goes. The retailers here have some kind of deal with the UK MS brand when it comes to the warranty. If something happens to your xbox it has to be shipped to a certified workshop in the UK, otherwise they risk breaking the warranty.

Nothing like waiting 3-4 weeks for a replacement for your RRoD'd xbox.

Wonder how long it'll take until people notice it has kind of illegal policies in the EU. Disregarding privacy issues as well.

You know that thing that stops you from being able to lend/sell games to your friends until MS says you can? You could make the easiest case ever over the Terms of First Sale... This is an EU only law as far as I know though so clearly MS just never bothered to check before chucking more bullshit DRM into their console. They're a massive company and therefore exempt from the law obviously. Or they just thought the world ended at America's borders...

I wonder if MS even knows how bad this is looking for them... Wonder if they're just like "oh shit this is going to bomb but we poured so much money into it we HAVE to release it as is or lose everything."

Anyway I never even knew there were country zones consoles had to choose to include. I thought it was just "Do you have an internet connection? Yes. Ok, here you go" no matter where you were.

Adam Jensen:
And they expect to sell 400 MILLION units of that thing.

Wait, serious or sarcastic? That's more than the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii combined! That's almost a physical impossibility, that's more than the PS1 AND 2 combined for God's sake!

The Wykydtron:
Wonder how long it'll take until people notice it has kind of illegal policies in the EU. Disregarding privacy issues as well.

You know that thing that stops you from being able to lend/sell games to your friends until MS says you can? You could make the easiest case ever over the Terms of First Sale... This is an EU only law as far as I know though so clearly MS just never bothered to check before chucking more bullshit DRM into their console. They're a massive company and therefore exempt from the law obviously. Or they just thought the world ended at America's borders...

I wonder if MS even knows how bad this is looking for them... Wonder if they're just like "oh shit this is going to bomb but we poured so much money into it we HAVE to release it as is or lose everything."

Anyway I never even knew there were country zones consoles had to choose to include. I thought it was just "Do you have an internet connection? Yes. Ok, here you go" no matter where you were.

Considering that the EU keeps suing them I think MS has a problem with learning its lesson. Maybe one day they think the EU will decide that it hates money and people and will stop bothering making them liable for all this shit.

Ironside:

Here is a handy map to show you all the countries it will be available in. It doesn't seem particularly bad to me - I don't know why they included Spain and Italy, but not Greece and Portugal though since all of those countries peoples have very little disposable income at the moment and in the case of Greece it is just very little income of any kind unfortunately. Greenland -nobody lives there, Africa again has very little disposable income, as does most of the middle east, as does Argentina and Xbox does not tend to do well in the far East. I am quite surprised that they haven't included the Baltic states though, as I was under the impression that they had rather good internet and whatnot.

Ironside what are you talking about? Italy is one of the world's eight wealthiest countries (G8), if you compare italy to greece or portugal you are only showing your ignorance here.

Another great thing about living in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, lol.

Fun fact: The Xbone requires a 1.5Mbps connection to even go online. Which restricts its audience even further.

fix-the-spade:

Adam Jensen:
And they expect to sell 400 MILLION units of that thing.

Wait, serious or sarcastic? That's more than the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii combined! That's almost a physical impossibility, that's more than the PS1 AND 2 combined for God's sake!

Indeed. PS2 is currently the largest selling console of all time at 155 million units, the Nintendo DS being in second with 153 million sold. I honestly wonder where these people in the industry get these unrealistic numbers from.

OT: Probably the only smart thing they've done is not launch it right away in Japan. However it is going into the Asian market in late 2014, which makes it worse for them. Apparently it's because they are tailoring to the fact that many Japanese people do not have living rooms, which is true because a living room is a western world sort of thing actually.

Obsidian8596:

Ironside what are you talking about? Italy is one of the world's eight wealthiest countries (G8), if you compare italy to greece or portugal you are only showing your ignorance here.

Italy is part of a European group called the PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain - its a bad acronym, but I didn't come up with it) in Europe who are suffering rather severe economic problems at the moment. And as with the other member groups they are also suffering large youth unemployment rates (which I mentioned in another thread are the people most likely to buy these new consoles) of 40+%, government cuts and jobs and businesses fleeing the country. Italy (like the rest of the group + France) is currently flirting with the prospect of defaulting on its debts and that coupled with a Spain that is essentially insolvent at this point means that things will probably get a lot worse for Italy very soon. A lot of the people who live there have very little disposable income to buy a console with and I believe it is in fact you who are showing your ignorance if all you are basing this on is the fact that they are a member of the G8.

Maximum Bert:
I think they only care about the NA market if you live anywhere else they dont give a shit. but then again they are treating even that market like shit thanks to their business practices.

As for their sales predictions I hope the Xbone does as well as it deserves.

XD. Well, I'd like to see them manage 400 million sales in a country with 400 million people in it... XD

For that matter, They predict 400 million sales... in 21 countries?

Let's look at that list for a moment:
(rounded down to nearest million - quite large rounding error for some, but had to be consistent.)
Australia - Population 22 million
Austria - 8 million
Belgium - 11 million
Brazil - 196 million
Canada - 34 million
Denmark - 5 million
Finland - 5 million
France - 65 million
Germany - 81 million
Ireland - 4 million
Italy - 60 million
Mexico - 112 million
Netherlands - 16 million
New Zealand - 4 million
Norway - 4 million
Russia - 143 million
Spain - 47 million
Sweden - 9 million
Switzerland - 7 million
United Kingdom - 62 million
United States - 313 million

Total 1,208 million

So... They expect 1/3 of EVERYONE in these countries to buy one? (1/3 of TOTAL population... Including infants, children, the elderly, men, women... Everyone.)

Wow. You've got to give them credit for their insane optimism... XD

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked