So, the new 3D Mario game...

...is Super Mario 3D World.

Interesting direction Nintendo made here, making a follow up to the 3DS game rather than trying to create a Wii U-nique Mario game (I was certain Mario Universe was going to be the new game).

Personally, I'm disappointed in some respects, but also intrigued in many others. I'll get the negatives out of the way first:

- Disappointing presentation. The Galaxy games really went all out in bringing strong aesthetics, an orchestral soundtrack and sense of production values to the series. Both games felt like an event. In comparison, the soundtrack to this game just sounds cheap, and visually it looks like an HD version of 3D Land, as opposed to something crafted from the ground up for the Wii U? Where's that wonderful lighting we saw in Galaxy?

- It looks like they're continuing gameplay ideas from 3D Land, rather than creating a game based around a 'hook' the way Galaxy's main hook was centred around gravity. I'd have loved to see EAD create a Mario game centred around the idea of using the second-screen in some way for platforming (my idea was having one platform on the tv screen, one platform on the gamepad screen, and having the player switch between the two on the fly).

Now that said, there are a lot of things I'm excited for as well:

+ The multiplayer aspect is something I don't think we've ever seen done in a 3D platformer game like this before, and if it works, then that could be a game changing element in itself. I don't know if lag issues will mean this has online multiplayer or local only, but either way it's a concept which, if Nintendo pulls it off, could have a big effect of platform design in future.

+ Some of the levels look a lot wider and more spacious than what we've seen in the likes of Galaxy or 3D Land, and seem to offer several concurrent paths (0:50 for an example). Also, the Minecraft-esque level in the sky around 1:15 has me hopeful we're still going to see some zany out there designs from Nintendo.

+ The Cat Suit looks to offer some nice gameplay mixups. And its nice to say a gaming protagonist unashamed about his addiction to cosplay...

+ While the artstyle isn't perhaps up there with Galaxy, everything looks well rendered and nicely textured. If Nintendo have got this running at 60fps and at 720p or more, then this should be a fluid looking game, even if it doesn't have quite the visual 'punch' some of us were hoping for.

+ At the end of the day, it will still be phenomenal to play. 3D Land was criticised by some for its more conservative, less 'out there' design, but it was still regarded as one of the best games on the 3DS, and still sold over 8 million units. I have no doubt that 3D World will still be an absolute blast to play, and if the multiplayer works, then it could add some fantastic part-fun the 3D games haven't really had so far.

+ Peach is now a playable character, suggesting she is no longer captured and needs to be rescued as part of the story. Chalk one up for the feminists. Seriously though, it's nice to see the old gal finally roll up her sleeves and actually get proactive with Mario and Luigi this time round. Hopefully this new Peach sticks.

How about you guys? Thoughts on the reveal?

don't care, it's a 3D Mario, it'll still kick ass. Seriously, people need to learn to stop expecting every game to reinvent the wheel. This is getting annoying.

I mean, it looks pretty fun and I am glad Peach is playable again, but.... I hope this isn't all we're getting. This can't be the sole direction Mario platformers are going. It just feels so fucking cookie-cutter. I really, really hope Nintendo goes back to the drawing board after this game and mixes things up for the next Mario title. Give us something worthy of Mario 64/Sungshine/Galaxy's legacy.

EDIT: Also, I totally agree about the soundtrack. The first thing I noticed was how bland the music was.

I feel kind of bad that the only thing that excited me about this was the fact that Peach WAS a playable character. Which means chances are if they aren't bringing new mechanics to the table then they are at least having a more original plot.
I mean Super Mario bros. The reskin was a very enjoyable game, and when I was a kid it was a cult favorite with all the kids at the school.

As for the reveal I am very very excited for the Gamefreak round table discussion. That company is so tight lipped about everything so to see that they are having their own panel is very exciting.
Honestly I think Pokemon, Bayonetta, and SSB ruled the direct conference.

I'll just repeat what I said in the news story:

This is the first 3D Mario game with co-op in it. This should be awesome. And yet... nothing. It's just there.

I guess it's because when you think of a multiplayer 3D Mario game, you'd imagine it being in a big, sprawling game like that fan-made Mario 64 co-op game. And the 2D games having co-op for a few years now probably didn't help.

Baby steps, I suppose. We'll get a co-op Galaxy one day. Plus the game will be good.

The first Mario game I played was the original one. I don't even know how many years ago that was. Since then I haven't played any Mario games until I decided to give Mario 3D Land a shot, and I thought it was really fun so I tried out Galaxy 2... It was alright... I honestly preferred 3D Land because it felt faster paced with those Shadow Mario and time attack levels. Galaxy , on the other hand seemed, to focus more on puzzles and platforming and that was fun too. There were some faster bits and better boss battles in Galaxy, but overall 3D Land was just more fun for me.

Haven't played a lot of Mario so I can't say anything about the visual style in comparison with the others, but they did look awesome and it's a lot more interesting to see than ruined brown post-apocalyptic world number 18 million, and that's a win in my book.

That said, I am so NOT sick of Mario and am definitely looking forward to this game :)

Aiddon:
don't care, it's a 3D Mario, it'll still kick ass. Seriously, people need to learn to stop expecting every game to reinvent the wheel. This is getting annoying.

The problem is, every prior 3D Mario game did reinvent the wheel. Even Sunshine, though it's sometimes seen as the 'lesser' of the 3D Mario games, brought radical new ideas to the platforming genre. 3D Land itself was a wonderful breath of fresh air for a handheld title, essentially being a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario. When Nintendo went to so much effort in previous games, I think it's fair to be a little disappointed when their new game doesn't look to be quite as fresh.

Again, I'm sure it will still be a great playing 3D game. My issue can kind of be summed up like this: while strongly influenced by Galaxy, Sonic Lost World looks to be a 3D platformer trying some radically new ideas and concepts. When Sega are putting in as much effort to try and step up 3D platforming, it's not exactly wrong to expect Nintendo to try and match that. A Nintendo console where the new Sonic game looks more inventive than the new Mario game is just a tad underwhelming.

Again, this is all keeping things in perspective. It'll still be great fun to play, and I hope the multiplayer really changes things up. But that said, Nintendo really need to stop using such cheap sounding music. That I think, more than anything, is really hurting the Mario games recently. Good music is essential for good atmosphere, and the last few Mario soundtracks have just sounded cheap and identikit.

Fappy:
I mean, it looks pretty fun and I am glad Peach is playable again, but.... I hope this isn't all we're getting. This can't be the sole direction Mario platformers are going. It just feels so fucking cookie-cutter. I really, really hope Nintendo goes back to the drawing board after this game and mixes things up for the next Mario title. Give us something worthy of Mario 64/Sungshine/Galaxy's legacy.

EDIT: Also, I totally agree about the soundtrack. The first thing I noticed was how bland the music was.

I think, looking at this as objectively as I can, the music is my main issue. As I said above, good music is crucial for good atmosphere. The Galaxy games worked so well with an orchestral soundtrack that I just don't understand why Nintendo would then move away from that for their next main console game.

Aiddon:

Wow.

Well, thank you, your insight has completely made me rethink my views on the Mario franchise. I shall now suck it up and take whatever Nintendo throws at me, no matter how uninspired it is.

Oh, wait, no I won't. Because it's not about "every game [needing] to reinvent the wheel". It's about the fact that since Super Mario Galaxy, there hasn't been a single main-series Mario game that was actually something new, despite all of their attempts to convince us otherwise by cramming New into the name fifty million times.

The most new thing to come out of modern Mario games has been Super Mario 3D Land - Which, by all reckoning of everything I've seen, is basically a top-down Mario 64 combined with New Super Mario Bros. They've had a slew of New Super Mario Bros. games that could've been pumped out by a Super Mario Level Generator, Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- the first 3D Mario game ever to not do something new and different with the art and level design and gameplay -- and now they're making what amounts to a sequel to the last 3D Mario they made. I apologize if the familiarity doesn't make my mouth water.

But then, I've never really been a fan of Mario in the first place, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask. But you know something? Galaxy actually made me interested. It was the first Mario game to actually grab my attention and make me think "You know, maybe I should play this". So looking at the direction the franchise has gone since then? Extremely disappointing. And this new one does nothing to change that.

Yeah, looks okay, but nothing I couldn't have seen coming if I lived on the Moon.

I'm sure it's going to play fine and all, but at his point Mario doesn't seem to even try to do anything new. Forget the same old "Mario saves Peach from Bowser" complaints, this just looks like Main Mario has merged with Mario Party.

Hmm... I guess what they meant when they announced a new 3D Mario game was a sequel to 3D land. Not a great big Galaxy-esque game like everyone thought. Still, if you've played plenty of Mario I guess there won't be much reason to pick this up (though I have to wonder what Mario is supposed to do here, since obviously Peach hasn't been kidnapped). Anyway, a multiplayer 3D Mario game sounds interesting.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Aiddon:

The problem is, every prior 3D Mario game did reinvent the wheel. Even Sunshine, though it's sometimes seen as the 'lesser' of the 3D Mario games, brought radical new ideas to the platforming genre. 3D Land itself was a wonderful breath of fresh air for a handheld title, essentially being a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario. When Nintendo went to so much effort in previous games, I think it's fair to be a little disappointed when their new game doesn't look to be quite as fresh.

Again, I'm sure it will still be a great playing 3D game. My issue can kind of be summed up like this: while strongly influenced by Galaxy, Sonic Lost World looks to be a 3D platformer trying some radically new ideas and concepts. When Sega are putting in as much effort to try and step up 3D platforming, it's not exactly wrong to expect Nintendo to try and match that. A Nintendo console where the new Sonic game looks more inventive than the new Mario game is just a tad underwhelming.

Again, this is all keeping things in perspective. It'll still be great fun to play, and I hope the multiplayer really changes things up. But that said, Nintendo really need to stop using such cheap sounding music. That I think, more than anything, is really hurting the Mario games recently. Good music is essential for good atmosphere, and the last few Mario soundtracks have just sounded cheap and identikit.

Not always. Sunshine added a gimmicky water mechanic that didn't really feel in place with the series and even I'll admit that Mario Galaxy 2 was more a map pack than anything else. You know whose fault it is for being disappointed? Your own. 3D Land had the same great level design that ALL 3D Marios do. You have been basically clamoring for a Galaxy 3 for months (and I've seen that) and you didn't get that. It happens sometimes, best to just live with it.

Aiddon:

Not always. Sunshine added a gimmicky water mechanic that didn't really feel in place with the series and even I'll admit that Mario Galaxy 2 was more a map pack than anything else. You know whose fault it is for being disappointed? Your own. 3D Land had the same great level design that ALL 3D Marios do. You have been basically clamoring for a Galaxy 3 for months (and I've seen that) and you didn't get that. It happens sometimes, best to just live with it.

Galaxy 3? No. A 3D Mario that feels custom tailored for the Wii U? That's what I was hoping for. Something that plays to the strengths of the system, and the controller they've designed. Something that has as unique a hook as the gravity mechanic or the FLUDD mechanic or the three-dimensional controls of 64. Something that makes it feel like a 'Wii U' game, not a follow up to a 3DS game.

OK, so in the time following the reveal, new details have come out which have rather changed my impressions.

Firstly, and allaying my fears about the game's soundtrack somewhat, Destructoid found out that the composers for the Galaxy games are back and composing for this game. When asked if they were working on an orchestral soundtrack, they were given a wink and said to wait for more info.

If this game has a proper orchestral soundtrack rather than that muzak we heard in the trailer, then that gets a huge sigh of relief from me. Orchestral soundtracks should be the norm for now on for mainline console MArio games, and its good to hear that the geniuses behind the Galaxy music may be working on such a soundtrack for this game.

Hope is restored!

Also, a developer interview has been put on Youtube which shows some much more interesting gameplay features, and highlights the thinking behind this new game. Apparantly, this game will be the game they wanted 3D Land to be all along.

This seems to show off some much more interesting features of the Gamepad, and the director of the game Mr Koichi says that this game will be the grand culmination of all the best ideas from previous Mario games." Also, for some reason the game seems to look visually much clearer in this video. The colours seem much brighter and have much more pop, and the game seems much more lively as a result.

Starting to get excited again.

Lastly, gaming types are starting to get their hands on the game at E3 booths, and the reaction seems pretty positive. I'll try and scour some articles or videos, but the multiplayer at least sounds like it works pretty damn well.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Aiddon:

well, at least they brought back princess peach instead of another toad..

Footage from one the demo floor:

3D mario games are a million times better than the 2D ones so I'm looking forward to this one. 3D Land was fucking great and this looks even better.

ShinyCharizard:
3D mario games are a million times better than the 2D ones so I'm looking forward to this one. 3D Land was fucking great and this looks even better.

I'm warming up to it. The more I see of it, the more I think there's more to this game than simply being an HD 3D Land sequel.

And honestly, if you look at that developer interview, some of the visuals look gorgeous/

Nintendo is for families, not for singles like we most likely are. You can tell since today's parents are in the generation of people who played NES games like Super Mario Bros 2 and Megaman 2 (see: the new Super Smash Bros). Because of this, Nintendo has added and improved co-op home multiplayer to all of its recent console Mario games. They don't need to innovate much more because of their casual audience.

I won't be getting a Wii U. I will get a PlayStation 4 because the PS4 is the console made with hardcore gamers in mind more than the other consoles.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

ShinyCharizard:

I'm warming up to it. The more I see of it, the more I think there's more to this game than simply being an HD 3D Land sequel.

And honestly, if you look at that developer interview, some of the visuals look gorgeous/

Yeah those graphics are fantastic. So vibrant and smooth.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
...is Super Mario 3D World.

Interesting direction Nintendo made here, making a follow up to the 3DS game rather than trying to create a Wii U-nique Mario game (I was certain Mario Universe was going to be the new game).

Personally, I'm disappointed in some respects, but also intrigued in many others. I'll get the negatives out of the way first:

- Disappointing presentation. The Galaxy games really went all out in bringing strong aesthetics, an orchestral soundtrack and sense of production values to the series. Both games felt like an event. In comparison, the soundtrack to this game just sounds cheap, and visually it looks like an HD version of 3D Land, as opposed to something crafted from the ground up for the Wii U? Where's that wonderful lighting we saw in Galaxy?

- It looks like they're continuing gameplay ideas from 3D Land, rather than creating a game based around a 'hook' the way Galaxy's main hook was centred around gravity. I'd have loved to see EAD create a Mario game centred around the idea of using the second-screen in some way for platforming (my idea was having one platform on the tv screen, one platform on the gamepad screen, and having the player switch between the two on the fly).

Now that said, there are a lot of things I'm excited for as well:

+ The multiplayer aspect is something I don't think we've ever seen done in a 3D platformer game like this before, and if it works, then that could be a game changing element in itself. I don't know if lag issues will mean this has online multiplayer or local only, but either way it's a concept which, if Nintendo pulls it off, could have a big effect of platform design in future.

+ Some of the levels look a lot wider and more spacious than what we've seen in the likes of Galaxy or 3D Land, and seem to offer several concurrent paths (0:50 for an example). Also, the Minecraft-esque level in the sky around 1:15 has me hopeful we're still going to see some zany out there designs from Nintendo.

+ The Cat Suit looks to offer some nice gameplay mixups. And its nice to say a gaming protagonist unashamed about his addiction to cosplay...

+ While the artstyle isn't perhaps up there with Galaxy, everything looks well rendered and nicely textured. If Nintendo have got this running at 60fps and at 720p or more, then this should be a fluid looking game, even if it doesn't have quite the visual 'punch' some of us were hoping for.

+ At the end of the day, it will still be phenomenal to play. 3D Land was criticised by some for its more conservative, less 'out there' design, but it was still regarded as one of the best games on the 3DS, and still sold over 8 million units. I have no doubt that 3D World will still be an absolute blast to play, and if the multiplayer works, then it could add some fantastic part-fun the 3D games haven't really had so far.

+ Peach is now a playable character, suggesting she is no longer captured and needs to be rescued as part of the story. Chalk one up for the feminists. Seriously though, it's nice to see the old gal finally roll up her sleeves and actually get proactive with Mario and Luigi this time round. Hopefully this new Peach sticks.

How about you guys? Thoughts on the reveal?

You pretty much summed up everything there is to say about this game (well at least what we got from this trailer). Hats off to you, sir.

I actually thought the music fit the overall smaller, less grand nature that this game seems to be going for. The orchestral arrangement was great for Galaxy's larger scale, but I don't really see how the same music is needed for this game, which looks to be on a much smaller scale.

Anyways, the trailer has me excited. I will be disappointed if this turns out to be the direction of the Mario platformers, as I've always expected the 3D Mario games to do something to shake things up from the previous games, even revolutionizing the genre at times. Still, even when Nintendo isn't innovating they are still making fun games. The biggest problem with the latest Mario platformers is that they feel too similar to their predecessors, but that is still a very insignificant complaint when you consider all the ones we make about other games.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and NSMB on DS are the last Mario games I have played. The ones since all seemed pretty blah and kind of ran together so much that I couldn't really get interested in them.

Being able to just draw platforms, and helicopter hats kinda break the game, and I have no one to co-op with anymore so no big draw there.

This game though looks really fun. The cat suit looks fun, and cute. The clear pipes are a nice change. Even the touching to find coins etc. appeals to my professor Layton "poke everywhere" mentality.

That I can play as Peach instead of rescue her is also a plus.

My only issue with what I've seen so far is that Toad has blue spots when I prefer classic red, or Toadette pink.

Minor gripe to be sure. I'm curious what the plot is this time. A return to dream world of SMB2, Sub...something?

I am kinda concerned about this game too. I looks great and hopefully Bowser isn't the villain, considering Peach is with the Mario bros. Your point about the music hit me the same way, it felt like they were just showing off another New Super Mario Bros. with a soundtrack to match. I'm also concerned about this huge push to make Mario platformers less about single player and focus more on co-op. Again, it looks great and the levels are more expansive than 3D Land, but it doesn't look like the definitive 3D Mario experience on the surface.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
OK, so in the time following the reveal, new details have come out which have rather changed my impressions.

Firstly, and allaying my fears about the game's soundtrack somewhat, Destructoid found out that the composers for the Galaxy games are back and composing for this game. When asked if they were working on an orchestral soundtrack, they were given a wink and said to wait for more info.

If this game has a proper orchestral soundtrack rather than that muzak we heard in the trailer, then that gets a huge sigh of relief from me. Orchestral soundtracks should be the norm for now on for mainline console MArio games, and its good to hear that the geniuses behind the Galaxy music may be working on such a soundtrack for this game.

Hope is restored!

Also, a developer interview has been put on Youtube which shows some much more interesting gameplay features, and highlights the thinking behind this new game. Apparantly, this game will be the game they wanted 3D Land to be all along.

This seems to show off some much more interesting features of the Gamepad, and the director of the game Mr Koichi says that this game will be the grand culmination of all the best ideas from previous Mario games." Also, for some reason the game seems to look visually much clearer in this video. The colours seem much brighter and have much more pop, and the game seems much more lively as a result.

Lastly, gaming types are starting to get their hands on the game at E3 booths, and the reaction seems pretty positive. I'll try and scour some articles or videos, but the multiplayer at least sounds like it works pretty damn well.

Wait Galaxy composers are back? YAAAHHHOOO! If it's looking positive to the people on the floor I may just disregard all of my concerns at the top of my post then. Thanks for the update!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Hope is restored!

Grand culmination of the best ideas from past 3D Mario games?

Awesome. Glad to hear about the positive reactions from players too.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked