PS2 Expansion bay

A while back I learned that on the OG verson of PS2 a.k.a. the fat version, it had an expansion bay.

I later figured out that you could stick a hard drive in it and use linux to turn it into a compact PC.

Did anyone do this and did it work out ok?

I've never heard that before. I use mine as a giant memory card since it turns out I didn't like FFXI that much but I dunno if theres even a utility on the PS2 that lets you install programs to the HDD. I should look into this.

Weird, I wonder if this changes abilities of moded PS2s.

EvilEngineNumberNine:
I've never heard that before. I use mine as a giant memory card since it turns out I didn't like FFXI that much but I dunno if theres even a utility on the PS2 that lets you install programs to the HDD. I should look into this.

You got a harddrive? Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

I got it when it came out about four years ago bundled with FFXI so that I could play with my friend who was playing on his PC. (Mine was about ten years old at the time and the most advanced game that could be played on it was QuakeIII.) It cost me 88 Dollars back then.

As far as I remember they removed it from later versions of PS2 as well as that deformed offspring called "PS2 Slim".

EDIT-->> Scratch that, only the offspring hasn't got the expansion bay.

JakubK666:
As far as I remember they removed it from later versions of PS2 as well as that deformed offspring called "PS2 Slim".

EDIT-->> Scratch that, only the offspring hasn't got the expansion bay.

Thats true. I remember laughing when Sony said they were going to continue support for the Hard Drive, only to bring out the new "slim" PS2 with no expansion bay about 5 minutes later.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked