31.8% (21)
31.8% (21)
Wrong
65.2% (43)
65.2% (43)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Ganking, Sport? or Grief?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

As a WoW player i naturaly assume peopl will know what this is.

If you don't here we are,
Ganking is going after lower Lvl targets or Lower tech targets (got ya back eve players).

As i am an evil 'son of a gun' and have the ability to kill things about 8 levels lower than me with one click, i do it all the time but what do peple think of it?

The only time ganking is okay, in my opinion, is when you do it to stop someone from ganking.

Example, a friend of mine was playing WoW on one of his alts when a 50 (this was before the expansion) Warrior I believe kept killing him. He asked for my help and I obliged, ganking the warrior and then guarding my friend back to town.

Thats like being the Year 10 who's twice the size of everyone else. Runs around being a git to all those who are weaker.
Right up until they run into someone as big as themselves.

Wrong. Doing that in Wow, wrong.

You should be on TF2 instead!

i actually love ganking. as a lower level player, beating the ganker poses a massive challenge that is just too good to not try. it's also a 'nothing to lose' situation. if i get killed, then i just waste time. if he gets killed, he loses time, dignity, and pride.

i remember one time in WoW, getting ganked at a castle by an upper level group who caught me by myself. basically, i waited until they attempted to take down the castle boss, respawned and sapped their group healer... and laughed my ass off as they slowly realized that they took up too much up front damage to survive.

i did this solo, 4 more more times until they disbanded. sure a bigger group can kill 1 person in 2 seconds... but it only takes me 2 seconds to ruin their mission.

also, Rogues could always SAP and re-stealth before gettings attacked as far as 30 levels over their own level. so i could always retaliate and annoy higher level gankers. you just need to put a stick in their spokes to give them 10times the anguish they are making for you. people expect lowbies to get killed... they don't expect the pet to die or the lowbie to bait the ganker into an NPC mob.

While it is true that ganking makes you a bad person, that's a microscopic wedge of the pie. The real thing to remember here is that playing any game where ganking is possible (read: MMOs) is what makes you a bad person.

- J

Well before WotLK came out, my level 60 Warrior was puttering around in Thunder Bluff when word came that someone was being a pest in Bloodhoof Village (the nearby newbie spot). I get there, and lo and behold, some level 41 Human Rogue is slaughtering the NPCs one by one and obliterating the few low-level Horde who are flagging up to fight back. I ride in, find him, chase him down and dispose of him a few times... and then he has the gall to log onto a Horde alt and complain to me about killing him, saying he was "just having fun" and I should go find a "more fair fight".

Ahhh, hypocrisy.

I think my favorite moment, though, was when my little level 9 Troll Rogue sapped a level 60 Dwarf Rogue right in the face. Granted, it only lasted two seconds and I was horribly murdered immediately after, but still, I laughed.

The Rogue Wolf:

I think my favorite moment, though, was when my little level 9 Troll Rogue sapped a level 60 Dwarf Rogue right in the face. Granted, it only lasted two seconds and I was horribly murdered immediately after, but still, I laughed.

that's what i'm talking about

it happens very rarely, but there is nothing more awesome than watching a bunch of random lowbies revolt and swarm over a Lvl 60 ganker and take him down.

Neither. Cowardice. Unless it's in a really funny situation, I can't really see the satisfaction in killing someone several levels below you.

The Rogue Wolf:
Well before WotLK came out, my level 60 Warrior was puttering around in Thunder Bluff when word came that someone was being a pest in Bloodhoof Village (the nearby newbie spot). I get there, and lo and behold, some level 41 Human Rogue is slaughtering the NPCs one by one and obliterating the few low-level Horde who are flagging up to fight back. I ride in, find him, chase him down and dispose of him a few times... and then he has the gall to log onto a Horde alt and complain to me about killing him, saying he was "just having fun" and I should go find a "more fair fight".

Before WotLK came out o_O? You mean Burning Crusade right? Cause I'd love to get my hands on Wrath of the Lich King if it's out already ;D Maybe get me one of them $500 Frostmournes too.

In relation to WoW, I'd assume you'd mean ganking on a PvP or RP/PvP server yes?
In which case, all that comes part and parcel of being on such a server, don't like it, then leave. Or, stay within safe areas with /PvP, off. If it comes to such a point where you are being camped mercilessly, just leave the area, or maybe get a group of your own friends together and turn the tables. And, if you really feel the need, and think it deserves it, make a ticket, but, being as they are, don't expect someone to get in trouble for PvP'ing on a PvP server ^^

As for the higher levels ganking lowbies, no, it's not fun, but, you'll probably be their level someday too, and end up doing the exact same thing >;)

GothmogII:
As for the higher levels ganking lowbies, no, it's not fun, but, you'll probably be their level someday too, and end up doing the exact same thing >;)

Couldn't have said it any better. If you don't like the smell in the bakery, leave. It's as simple as that. If you get beaten in football all the time by someone bigger/better than you, do you whine as well?

A reverse-gank in action. EvE players HAVE to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTn9EASiPMY

Agent00abe:

GothmogII:

Couldn't have said it any better. If you don't like the smell in the bakery, leave. It's as simple as that. If you get beaten in football all the time by someone bigger/better than you, do you whine as well?

And this is why it keeps happening. Just because someone was a prick to you, doesn't mean you should be taking it out on other people. There is a difference between just killing every enemy you see, and waiting around for the little ones to get back just to ruin their fun.

that's what i'm talking about

it happens very rarely, but there is nothing more awesome than watching a bunch of random lowbies revolt and swarm over a Lvl 60 ganker and take him down.

This doesnt really ever happen. 20 L10s cannot take down a L60 or 70 unless the 60 is drunk or asleep. A few L30s could. But if someone is really ganking you (not5-8 levels above, more like 12-25), there isnt a damn thing you can usually do about it unless the person it totally inept.

While it is true that ganking makes you a bad person, that's a microscopic wedge of the pie. The real thing to remember here is that playing any game where ganking is possible (read: MMOs) is what makes you a bad person.

- J

So I guess we should all go back to playing single player games, huh? Since you can "gank" in TF2 if your clan goes and plays newbie-friendly games. Same in RTS games, TBS, and pretty much every other game. On, and you can still grief someone in a single player. You just pull the plug. Pricks are everywhere. Calling people "bad" for playing community-oriented games is just asinine.

Ganking is what you make of it. One of my favorite WOW moments was when I was playing a druid, rooting a level 60 warrior just long enough to get massacred by the town guards after a killing spree.

I've also kited gankers into town guards.

Ganking takes the fun out of the game. If you're the ganker, it can't possibly be fun to kill someone with no hope of fighting back, unless you are exceptionally mean or cruel. If you're the gankee, your time is wasted, it's frustrating, and irritating that someone is that mean. Say I only have an hour to play today. Granted, you don't know that, but if I spend 45 minutes of it graveyard running (or respawning or whatever you do in your game of choice)... you've killed my whole day, gamewise.

i personally like how warhammer online is going to deal with this, if you gank someone in a lowbie level and you're a lot higher level than the zone, you get turned into a chicken and you can't do anything but everyone can kill you cause you're hp is 1

as was said before it's a cowardly move to kill someone who isn't as strong as you. i'm willing to be that everyone that says it isn't would say the same thing if someone larger than them were beating them up in person, just cause it's a game doesn't make it any less of a cowardly act

cleverlymadeup:
i personally like how warhammer online is going to deal with this, if you gank someone in a lowbie level and you're a lot higher level than the zone, you get turned into a chicken and you can't do anything but everyone can kill you cause you're hp is 1

as was said before it's a cowardly move to kill someone who isn't as strong as you. i'm willing to be that everyone that says it isn't would say the same thing if someone larger than them were beating them up in person, just cause it's a game doesn't make it any less of a cowardly act

Im buying that shit right now

It depends on the situation. What you're talking about--basically wandering around randomly slaughtering low-level characters and thus possibly ruining their day--is wrong. The only good thing about it is the feeling of satisfaction others will get from killing you.

The only time that killing low-level players would be appropriate is in a massive organized battle like happens in EvE sometimes. If you need to wipe out a lot of fighters so your organization can take a certain objective, be my guest. That's part of the battle.

I don't play WoW, and I don't know if I ever will, but I have to say yes. Go for it.

I realize it can be a bit annoying trying to do something with high level people constantly killing you, but I'm still for it.

Like I've said before, the strong have a duty to convince the weak to be stronger. Thats why older brothers pick on younger ones, smart people correct stupid people, and normal people put nerds in trashcans.

In one of my five days of WoW hell before I put a magnet to my hard drive to erase the game from existence forever (not really, but I really felt like it), I was a Lv.20 dude running around and frolicking in the quote-unquote 'graphics' when suddenly some Lv.60 douche came up to me, stabbed me with his knife, killed me, and then laughed at me.

I think ganking is good to teach a lesson, not as a sport.

i Gank in order of a challenge to be honest, when you get about 4 70s trying to kill you eluding them is fun. And they wont come after you uless you kill the lowbies.

I get together with about 10 friends and we will activly 'Hunt' some lower levels for fun.
We wont kill them every time and i remember it happening tt me i enjoyed the thrill of trying to escape, trying new ideas you know. Give the Gankers a challenge and they are more likely to let you go IF they find you!

I think it's an excellent lesson to teach ppl on WoW not to go PvP and enter levels where they'll get owned.

However, spawn camping is wrong, and a total bitch. Kill once, then leave it.

I'm going to start by saying that I've never played WoW, Starcraft, or any MMO game aside from Runescape, and I quit that after I realized that pouring lemon juice into my eyes would be less painful (around level 80, I'm a slow learner).

That being said, I will say that I liked how it handled the PvP aspect, namely there is one big area where if you go into it other players can attack you. You don't want to fight, stay out of the wilderness. Not sure how other games handle this, but I know I wouldn't want to play a game where some dipshit can run up and kill me when all I want is to finish a quest, level up a bit, etc. etc.

Ive tryed EVE online and i found it hard to get started to be honest, when i finish with Wow get bored of it or whatever. then i may go Back to it as well it was fun but the main problem was the difference between the 'rich' and 'poor' and finding work.

GothmogII:
Before WotLK came out o_O? You mean Burning Crusade right?

Yah, that's what I meant, got all my little acronyms jumbled around in my head. Serves me right for posting after a three-hour Bioshock run. :P

I don't even play MMORPG's, and I know that you don't jack other people's stuff...

Darth Mobius:
I don't even play MMORPG's, and I know that you don't jack other people's stuff...

Ah, not only do you have to consider killing people who can't defend themselves, but the new question arises.

Should you take their junk? Even if it sucks you can sell it back to them.

I say yes again, its like real life, make them hire some protection if they don't want to get jacked. There is a lucrative career in online mafia protection.

bmgibben:

Agent00abe:
[quote=GothmogII]As for the higher levels ganking lowbies, no, it's not fun, but, you'll probably be their level someday too, and end up doing the exact same thing >;)

And this is why it keeps happening. Just because someone was a prick to you, doesn't mean you should be taking it out on other people. There is a difference between just killing every enemy you see, and waiting around for the little ones to get back just to ruin their fun.

Ah, but no... You're all looking at it from the wrong perspective. PvP is war. "Don't let behind you a man, woman or child able of carrying a sword"

When you play this game you agree to a set of rules. Even Blizzard them selves have stated that ganking and corpse camping is not harrasment and just a part of the game. And fortunately for you carebears we do have those lovely and underpopulated PvE / RP realms. And in the end, you still have the possibility of just, it's a crazy thought this one, stop playing and do something else for a while.
Jeez when I get my ass raped by 4x70's because I killed them all one by one before they figured out to group up against me, well I go afk the 6 minutes it takes to auto release your spirit. Jokes back on them if they seriously wait all those 6 mins.

And just to be clear, I hardly ever gank people more than 5 lvls lower than me. And if I do, it's usually because I wanna tease some high lvls to come and fight.

Anyways I think I've used enough of your bandwith for now :D

WoW is just like this big dull children's playground.

Gooble:
I think it's an excellent lesson to teach ppl on WoW not to go PvP and enter levels where they'll get owned.

ok so if you're a lvl 25 and in a lvl 25 zone and a lvl 60 char comes in and smokes you, you're saying that the lvl 25 is stupid for being in the zone that's designed for his character and shouldn't have even bothered to go in there cause someone who is well over the zone's lvl is there beating everyone up?

Hell I gank people, but normally I usually have a reason behind it. I know people have crap to do, so I won't sit there and camp them. Or if I'm playing a healer, revive them. Which is kind of nice to do to make up for the fact you just came up out of nowhere and ganked them. I like pking someone in an effort to amuse yourself, and the challenge of what happens when they come back. Also, I'd like to mention that grieving is an entirely different term. To grief someone, you are intentionally searching for them, over and over, just to pk them. Which I guess is somewhat like camping in a way. But I don't play WoW, so I don't exactly camp people's body.

When I played Wow, I used to gank a little to start an all out war, it worked. It turn down to be good pvp. But I hated ganking when I started a new character on a different server. Because I didnt had any back up.

bmgibben:

- J

So I guess we should all go back to playing single player games, huh? Since you can "gank" in TF2 if your clan goes and plays newbie-friendly games. Same in RTS games, TBS, and pretty much every other game. On, and you can still grief someone in a single player. You just pull the plug. Pricks are everywhere. Calling people "bad" for playing community-oriented games is just asinine.

Oooo... you showed me.

Protip: Selective reading does not strengthen your position.

First off, I specifically said MMOs. If two players have the same tools and one is better than the other, it's not a gank. There is no "ganking" in fighting games, and about the closest you can get to it in FPS's is to have 3 to 4 people all vs. one guy. Otherwise it's just about skill level.

Ganking has nothing to do with that. Ganking is where your level 70 beats up my level 8 and his level 6 buddies, over and over again, just to make sure that we're not having any fun. It's not a matter of skill, we're certainly not learning anything from the encounter (because usually people who do this don't have incredible PvP tactics anyway), it just slows down our playtime.

Secondly, almost everything I've said on this board *ever* has been facetious, and that comment was more obvious than most.

- J

Oh yeah, I forgot about you qbert4ever. RuneScape had an odd pvp system (which they promptly ruined, along with generosity, merchanting, and overall FUN for a lot of players), but it wasn't exactly that it was all that bad. You could only be pked in one certain area, not to mention fights usually depend on luck (even if you're high level). I especially hated the fact you drop everything except your 3 most expensive items on you, but that can be a plus if your pking people (it's messed up, I know). But if you do pk someone, and correct me if I wrong but if they don't fight back (I think???) you get a skull over your head. Meaning as no matter how you die, you drop everything. But then again, after they "improved it", you can ALWAYS lose everything no matter what.

I hate how in most MMOs higher level = win (ESPECIALY WOW!)

Looking forward to player skill based mmo's like online first person shooters. where I can kill 50 noobs without dieing, but not because they can't hit be back, its an even playing field.

there no skill in WoW its just a level/gear grind. play guildwars pvp, now thats fun, everyone same level and gear.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked