Confusing gaming acronyms

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I have seen lots of talk about a certain game on this forum. GoW.

Wait??

What is that game it can be either God of War (how i usualy first read it) or Gears Of War.

Acronyms like this are quite confusing to my small little brain is gaming acronyms an epedemic, there could easikly be worse acronym out there and is there a game free of acronimition (so what if i just made up a word) out there?

I believe Gears of War is properly "GeoW" God of War being first and all.

EDIT: The ads remind me, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is abbreviated "WAR," kinda confusing

I see that alot on gamming servers as well. I don't mind if people mention the game first and then use the acronym as you can work it out for yourself then. Whats kind of annoying is people just using an acronym and expect everyone to know what game they are talking about even if its some obscure game.

I think the "WAR" acronym plays on the WARhammer part of it as well as the rest, WOAR just wouldn't work the same for a Warhammer game.

Yes, I admit I'm pretty confused that Eternal Sonata is an anagram for Torn Anal Tease.

Or that Grim Fandango is an anagram for Gonad Farming.

Okay, I'll stop.

Some of them are confusing, but alas, not much to do about it.

as long as we're revealing our ignorance, I must ask this: Often, when talking about the concept of a game, people use the letters IP... what does that stand for?

Lvl 64 Klutz:
as long as we're revealing our ignorance, I must ask this: Often, when talking about the concept of a game, people use the letters IP... what does that stand for?

Intellectual Property, and it can be more than games (i.e. Movies, Books, Inventions)

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Internet Protocol is what i know IP as

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning becomes, "Homo Arcane Gamer Knew Frig," so long as we're still talking anagrams, as opposed to acronyms.

sorry i cant belive i made that mistake

threat changed to Acronyms

"SW:TFU"

Inversely, SBCG4AP makes perfect sense.

SBCG4AP! Strong Bad's Cool Game 4 Attractive People!
By the way, have you played that game yet Anarchemitis?

YES. And SBCG4AP is the greatest Ten Dollars you will EVER spend.

Already bought the whole series.

So, they're good then? And they are available only for Wii and PC, correct?

EDIT: terribly sorry for getting off the topic, but I've heard mixed emotions about SBCG4AP, and no reasons as to why.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Isn't it intellectual property?

FPS - First person shooter
FPS - Frames per second

I get lost sometimes.

What does AAA stand for? I see it get thrown around all the time but I have no idea what it means.

Unless you're talking about batteries.

Fire Daemon:
What does AAA stand for? I see it get thrown around all the time but I have no idea what it means.

AAA means something is really good.

its also an aviation regulation

jezz8me:
sorry i cant belive i made that mistake

threat changed to Acronyms

Acronym isn't correct either, except in the case of WAR I guess. You mean abbreviation.

STFU.

I always used to think it was a phonetic abbreviation for stuff you. And it still made sense in context, generally, until I saw someone say "I should STFU now." I thought he was making sexual advances on someone...

Singing Gremlin:
STFU.

I always used to think it was a phonetic abbreviation for stuff you. And it still made sense in context, generally, until I saw someone say "I should STFU now." I thought he was making sexual advances on someone...

That's awesome dude! I love that!

scarbunny:

Fire Daemon:

I've heard of the FAA in aviation but I thought AAA was the roadside assistance people.

Eldritch Warlord:
I believe Gears of War is properly "GeoW" God of War being first and all.

EDIT: The ads remind me, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is abbreviated "WAR," kinda confusing

To make it less confusing I guess you could make it "WhAR"

GRAW. For some reason, I assumed it was a wrestling game for some time.

SimuLord:

scarbunny:

Fire Daemon:

I've heard of the FAA in aviation but I thought AAA was the roadside assistance people.

Anti-Aircraft Artillery

Unknower:
GRAW. For some reason, I assumed it was a wrestling game for some time.

i just like sounding it out
GRAW
(so satisfying)

AAA (triple A), is a game that is very profitable. It doesn´t need to be good, just make lots of money.

Ralackk:
I see that alot on gamming servers as well. I don't mind if people mention the game first and then use the acronym as you can work it out for yourself then. Whats kind of annoying is people just using an acronym and expect everyone to know what game they are talking about even if its some obscure game.

I think the "WAR" acronym plays on the WARhammer part of it as well as the rest, WOAR just wouldn't work the same for a Warhammer game.

And WOAR looks like an acronym for something.....dirty.

i find it weird that H.A.W.X. stands for High Altitude Warfare Experimental Squadron.

Slim Reaper10:
i find it weird that H.A.W.X. stands for High Altitude Warfare Experimental Squadron.

Well H.A.W.X looks better than H.A.W.E.S doesn't it?

Not to mention the icon is a Hawk, and its a flying game, from what i understand Hawks can fly.

AAA Ratings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_credit_rating

In the games industry, a title with a huge budget that is seen as being so fantastic by executives that it is sure to be the best thing ever and deserving of 11/10 scores while selling billions of copies. In short, every game ever made before it's released.

Woe Is You:
Yes, I admit I'm pretty confused that Eternal Sonata is an anagram for Torn Anal Tease.

Or that Grim Fandango is an anagram for Gonad Farming.

Okay, I'll stop.

YOu mean anagrams, anacronyms are abbreviated words by their first letters.

It's odd when people mention games and say, (example - 10 points to whoever can work this out)

"BR:OTRR"

And don't explain what they mean.

But seriously, anyone who gets that is really awesome.

Gears of War = Gears
God of War = GoW
And yes, this annoys me quite a bit as well.

akIceman:
Nice stealth ressurect you did here.

stinkychop:
The original title of this thread was different, it used to say anagrams.

Ezzay:

Slim Reaper10:

Well H.A.W.X looks better than H.A.W.E.S doesn't it?

Not to mention the icon is a Hawk, and its a flying game, from what i understand Hawks can fly.

it should just be called Hawx to avoid conusion

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or