like medkits?
yes
56.7% (72)
56.7% (72)
no
40.9% (52)
40.9% (52)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do medkits and health bars ruin games for you?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

It ruins it for me. ever cense rechargeable health came out games have been awesome but looking back medkits just suck
example : I was playing doom3 second to last level near the end of the level and I got 2 health left im out of bullets except for couple clips for pistol 3 energy for BFG(I had soul cube and at the time I didnt know it was a weapon) and before you finish level you have to kill two of those giant spider things and the little ones. so a year passed and I finally beat it. by finding a little madkit and betting those guys. so I think medkits suck. and I really was looking fowered to FEAR 2 and when They said they were switching back to medkits I said yeah this game sucks. P.S the laptop im using is crap and the key bored dosent work so well so any mistakes are the computers fult

Despite Yahtzee's criticisms, I find that the "take cover, health recharge" system used in many new shooters is a more organic experience, but I would never decry health bars and medkits, though they are considerably less immersive. There is one problem with realistic damage that won't be solved and that is this...

REALISM IS NOT FUN! TOO MUCH REALISM IS TEDIOUS AND FRUSTRATING!

Medkits are good but I agree it's really annoying when you're low on health and you can't find a medkit and then all the odds are against you. In multiplayer games though it often works to your advantage because if you start shooting someone then they run and hide then you can still finish them off whereas in a game with rechargeable health they suddenly gain as much health as you even though you've been shooting them for half an hour.

i miss the medkits, just not the ones that appear with every alternate step.

I prefer regenerative health. Yeah it doesn't make much sense but it's a lot easier for me. It's part of my age old theory that a game should be both fun and possible, not ridiculously difficult, to finish.

Hmm.

In a way, recharging health is just a small simplification. Medkits restore health, health inevitably falls when being shot at. So instead of getting shot, being at 50% health and finding a medkit, health just recharges and there's less clutter in the game.

That said, I find it kind of refreshing when you're at 20 health and you find several medkits. A sense of desperation instantly becomes relief. Recharging health doesn't provide you with that.

So no, I don't think medkits and health bars ruin games. I think if they're done improperly they can ruin games, but when done properly they're quite satisfying.

Personally I find the recharging health a little annoying. In the 3 games I've played with it (crysis, halo 1&2) your character was incredibly fragile and your "health" went down to nothing in a few shots. With regular health I find characters to be more durable, even though the damage is permanent.

As i said before, i like the approach of Games like "Max Payne" or "Gun" (and about any other RPG) where you can store your Healthpacks and use them when needed.

For me, kind of like the best of both worlds, convenient yet challenging.

i like...the silent hill gameplay...(medkits and energy drinks) so im happy whit that system but i think it just depend in the game because in metal gear the Rations are a big part of the game because the two are little bit more slow... that COD4 or halo or army of two... so it depends of the game

If you play Team Fortress you know that if used properly, Health packs can make a game even awesomer.

snowplow:

Personally I find the recharging health a little annoying. In the 3 games I've played with it (crysis, halo 1&2) your character was incredibly fragile and your "health" went down to nothing in a few shots. With regular health I find characters to be more durable, even though the damage is permanent.

halo 1 had medkits.

Frybird:
As i said before, i like the approach of Games like "Max Payne" or "Gun" (and about any other RPG) where you can store your Healthpacks and use them when needed.

I agree completely. Mac Payne is a GREAT example of how a shooter could do that. Heck, look at the injector of Battlefield: Bad Company. Sure, you had infinite injections, but you actually had to take the time and you couldn't shoot while doing it. Nice.

That being said, I think Half-Life 2 is an excellent example of how 'health' can still work. That game was brilliant, health packs and all. I'd say it all depends on how the developer chooses to do it.

Speaking of which, I heard Far cry 2 will have something similar to BF:BC's injector! You actually bandage yourself up!

Bitchen.

Frybird:

How did I forget about that? That's a really good system.

Also, I am compelled to post this:

SteinFaust:

snowplow:

halo 1 had medkits.

yes. It also had a recharging shield. In halo medkits were rare and the health bars didn't serve much purpose, which is probably why it was removed in halo 2.

I really don't mind either way. It all depends on how the developer uses them. I like the aspect of the no health bar in games like COD4. It kinda takes you out of the "this is just a video game" mentality and tries to pull you in a little more. Along the same lines but in a different manner, look at Dead Space. You have a health bar, but no HUD. Important information is on your suit. I think that's brilliant. With health bars though, I do like it better when you actually have to use them and not just step on them. Again, for me the whole emersion factor is big.

The problem with the RPG health pack system is that you try to wait until you're as close to death as you can possibly get before you heal yourself (provided that it heals you fully, half health packs generally avoid this problem). Then you end up dying because you waited too long or a crab bites you on the ass.

Woop Woop for HL2 medkits.
I love those things.

Yes.

Reason: Immersion

Personally I prefer the heath kit method. It makes the game more challenging if you have to go find a way to heal any injuries. Plus, picking up a health kit to regain health makes a lot more sense than crouching behind a rock and just letting your heath magically regenerate like your some sort of lizard person.

I... effin... LOVE... medkits!

Oh BTW, CoD4 sucks :d

I think medkits work in a lot of games. Why do people complain about the realism? I play games to get away from damn reality!

LiquidForce:
I... effin... LOVE... medkits!

Oh BTW, CoD4 sucks :d

Yeah too bad it was better than Halo 3, Gears of War and Gears of War 2 all put in together.

(Hur hur oh boy here we go again).

Its got nothing to do with realism for me, i'm playing a GAME. But i find healthkits more fun gameplay wise, i think that regenerative health systems are for lazy gamers. Health kits actually add a tactical element. For example if you only have one, you better be careful how you use it. It adds more of a challenge to games.

I'm glad health kits are making a return in many games again, even FPS.

Yeah, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I play games to escape reality.

Its like if alcohol made you self aware and made you think nobody would drink it.

Boo yar sucks to reality
Hurray for games!

Now lets go jump hazardously from building to building.
Or drive a car into a river.
Or shoot aliens.
Or farm...

... i love harvest moon...
farming with none of the real effort

Edit; So I guess my point was, medikits are bad, so is rechargable health, you get shot slightly, you slowly bleed to death whilst lieing on the floor clutching yourself and crying.

I have to say that Halo 1 had the idea down right, and mix between health bars and regenerative shields. This let you still have some regenerative ability so you wont die by stubbing your toe against a rock, but at the same time the health bar gave you the 'omfg PANIC' moments that are so much fun, especially when you survive a fight with 1 health bar. This also lets crappier players have slightly more chance against a pro, as you can suicide into someone a few times before you kill them, which enables the player to still have some sort of advantage after a while.

I think it would be for the best that some games have medkits, some games have regenerative health and that some games have medkits you can carry around.

For example, I think regenerative health in Crysis is a good idea, as the maps are big and it would be annoying to try to sneak with low health. Also, you can use the nanosuit as an excuse. Regenerative health in Half-Life though wouldn't add anything to the gameplay. Also, you can use Xen-stuff as an excuse for the instant effect of the medkits.

I love how they did the health system in Resistance:FOM. There was a health bar and medkits, but part of your health regenerated so you didn't have to completely rely on them. Having a health bar can add fun moments to the game where you know you can't get hit one more time or you will die.

Too bad it looks like they're ditching the old health system in favor of completely regenerating health.

I love medikits, every game that has rechargable health takes out all fun.

Believe it or not I like both as long as the game doesn't make either suck. I prefer medkits though.

I prefer both especially if you et to carry around the health packs.

Shield should recharge. Health can recharge a little. Only a medic or medkit should be able to heal 100%.

Personally i dont like recharging health. It ruins some games. I dont liek hwo you can get shot like 60 times in a mission and still survive. The best health system iv played was on an old rainbow six game.. where if you get shot once, your injured so your accuracy goes down and you cant move as fast..

Surely having to sit there waiting for your health to be restored really breaks the flow of gameplay?

Regenerative health can also mess up games. Hell's Highway is the first BIA game to have it and it kills one of the most important parts of the game. In the previous ones you had to watch your health and rely on your team mates otherwise you'd end up dead. Now you can solo the whole game pretty much by just waiting for your health to recharge every now and then.

Hells Highway has an interesting system, its a different take on recharging health.

Screen slowly goes red as you running around in the open.

"Your going to take a hit.... your going to get shot... YOUR REALLY GOING TO GET SHOT.. ok your dead now dumbass!"

But really it's just regenerating health, and it's nice in theory but it messes up the game. On the op's topic I prefer health packs, games like Stalker that still use them are really tense cos your always worrying if you have enough.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked