Why is E3 a "Press Only" event?

In honor of E3's attempt at returning to glorg I'm going to open or reopen what is probably an old issue. I'm curious, in all honesty, putting aside the fact that the old E3 would be a fucking ZOO if they let consumers in, why E3 is press only?

Most Game Press (no offense to The Escapist Staff) aren't "magically" less plebian or consumerist than the rest of us and, as Old E3 proved, still show up in droves beyong reason and can still be just as moronic. So why are those of use who (again, no intent to offend The Escapist Staff) aren't lucky enough to get Gaming Journalism jobs or write a popular gaming webcomic allowed? Wouldn't showing your products to the public that you intend to sell them too generate good word of mouth?

I'm curious as to what others think in regards to this...

Because it for the video games industry. PAX is for the gamers, E3 is for the execs, devs, and publishers. If you want to be involved in a gamers paradise party, go to PAX.

Im pretty sure its for Retailers too

you wanna get into E3? get a job at Gamestop, then you can get a pass

oh and its not for the Video Game Industry

we use to get tickets for all the game art and design majors at my college, not anymore

those curds

indyfan:
I'm pretty sure it's for retailers too.

Your right, I forgot them. Add them to the list.

axia777:
Because it for the video games industry. PAX is for the gamers, E3 is for the execs, devs, and publishers. If you want to be involved in a gamers paradise party, go to PAX.

Personally I can't afford to go to either, I've got better vacations to save up for than spending MORE money on this hobby. it just seems that when they treat it like a professional expo... nobody shows up... so clearly it's more of an Exclusive Party... so why the hell are only the "lucky folk" in the Gaming biz (retail included, back when I was a teenager/college student I must have applied at EB about a million times, you need an in) able to attend?

EDIT:

I figure you MUST need a connection SOMEWHERE to work for a gaming store... I mean come on... I had (when I wanted to apply at a crappy retail job, even in a game store)
3 Years in Retail
3 Years as a Customer Service Representative
10+ years of gaming

and they still wouldn't hire me?

Yes, old school E3 really is just a huge exclusive video gamers party. But then the whole video games industry as whole is pretty damn exclusive. Try getting a job at one of the devs. Now that is a challenge and a half.

True. but I assume that the devs are there to "work"... as much as any Conference/Trade Show is REALLY work... but why are people like Tim Buckley allowed to attend? He's been attending for YEARS, hell Scott Ramsomir has been attending for years and I'm pretty sure he has almost no effect on game sales. They're really no different from the rest of the game consuming public yet they are accorded special treatment because they can crank out a shitty ripoff joke about plasmids in bioshock or some shit like that.

PedroSteckecilo:
True. but I assume that the devs are there to "work"... as much as any Conference/Trade Show is REALLY work... but why are people like Tim Buckley allowed to attend? He's been attending for YEARS, hell Scott Ramsomir has been attending for years and I'm pretty sure he has almost no effect on game sales. They're really no different from the rest of the game consuming public yet they are accorded special treatment because they can crank out a shitty ripoff joke about plasmids in bioshock or some shit like that.

Their comics have enough of a following that they can get in. If you look on E3's FAQ page, you'll see "ESA will credential bloggers, podcasters and other media on a case by case basis." I can assure you that they have more of an effect on games sales than many mainstream publications.

There's been a lot of rumours bouncing around about making next years E3 open to the public. http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/20/rumor-e3-2009-open-to-the-public-happening-in-june/

I'm guessing it was because of overcrouding.

PedroSteckecilo:

A few million page views a day is the reason Buckley can attend. Same reason that the Penny Arcade guys could go if they wanted to.

The event is now press only because developers revolted thanks to the massive cost of putting on the event in the past. Ironically, the very same developers, having gotten exactly what they wanted, now want the old E3 back.

nilcypher:
The event is now press only because developers revolted thanks to the massive cost of putting on the event in the past. Ironically, the very same developers, having gotten exactly what they wanted, now want the old E3 back.

You said exactly what I was going to say. The developers said it was too expensive to have such a large gig, and so asked for it to be shrunk to what it is and only the press are allowed in.
And now it's up to them what gets outside; smaller expo means you need MORE effort, since if the press thinks "meh, nobody wants to know about that", it's all gone to waste. So they need it bigger now!

The press themselves thought the downscaling sucked, that got as much coverge as anything else. If you saw any photos of '08, you'd notice that all the stands were smaller than your bedroom. E3 quickly lost its status as "huge gaming event".

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked