KOTOR 2 doesn't run on my Laptop and i can't figure out why

I honestly do not know which forum on here this goes in. But It's boggling my mind so much as to why I'm having this problem for the game I just hope an answer will present itself. The Escapist for me is the most appropriate place to ask.

Basically I finally got myself a copy of KOTOR 2 recently. I had played the original Knights of the Old Republic and really loved it, a shining example of how to do a Star Wars game right. While I had heard the sequel was good but not as good i felt i should at least check it out and since it wouldn't cost too much these days (8) I wouldn't make too much of a loss at least.

So my laptop is rather good as far as specs goes. it can play most games out without any sort of problem and I knew it would be more than capable of running KOTOR 2 specs wise. So I installed it and was greedily looking forward to igniting my Lightsaber and deciding which was the best way to abuse The Force. However the kick in the nuts with a steel toecap came when i tried to play it, and my system seemed to think it was a bad idea.

The moment I asked it to play game I got a pop up saying that the game has stopped running, the box said it was looking for a solution to the problem and this being Windows it found none and said it would let me know when one was available (bollocks!).

Unfortunately this means I have no info to go on, no way to explain this in more detail and so I am stuck badly. my only lead is that I have heard how fussy Vista is on running games but I don't know how to use that to go further. I know the laptop is easily able to run the game but I am still unable to figure out why it won't let me.

Call this a silly situation, i have to admit it is really stupid. but this is the best place I know to ask a question and I hope one of you out there might have an answer for me: thanks in advance.

Rev

If a game isn't working on Vista, the first thing you should try is firing it up as admin. Right Click the shortcut and click run as admin. That's the best I can suggest.

Did you try Googling?

This was on the first page of the search results for "KOTOR2 vista":

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080529083003AAfKH9A

Singing Gremlin:
If a game isn't working on Vista, the first thing you should try is firing it up as admin. Right Click the shortcut and click run as admin. That's the best I can suggest.

Doesn't work, same thing happens. I am the only user on the laptop so i guess I was automatically the admin. =(

Eggo:
Did you try Googling?

This was on the first page of the search results for "KOTOR2 vista":

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080529083003AAfKH9A

Well this has given me a lot to check over.

I tend to prefer asking people if you understand where I am coming from, normally when I use search engines I get squat or the info is vague. Not sure if thats me but I like asking people questions normally.

Naw, even if you are the User Control Centre limits what things an active program can do. For example, games can't run punkbuster unless you run it as admin so you can get kicked off multiplayer game.

But, if it doesn't work, I can't really help.

Does it have an error report/number? Usualy it will have a sequence of letters and numbers (Or just 5 numbers) to reference it. If there is one, type it into google, because it could be something easily overcome by by re-installing some drivers or something.

Singing Gremlin:
Naw, even if you are the User Control Centre limits what things an active program can do. For example, games can't run punkbuster unless you run it as admin so you can get kicked off multiplayer game.

I think it what I have been told i just need to add some files. Which begs the question is I needed certain files to play the game why can't Windows pick up on the fact files were missing? I think my brain hurts now.

Ago Iterum:
Does it have an error report/number? Usualy it will have a sequence of letters and numbers (Or just 5 numbers) to reference it. If there is one, type it into google, because it could be something easily overcome by by re-installing some drivers or something.

Nope, nothing like that.

Ok, Once again my Universities network goes and kicks me in the balls.

http://files.filefront.com/Mss32dll/;6695046;;/fileinfo.html

The potential solution to my problem is filtered. I swear I could cry now. I might as well file myself under 'Epic Fail' now. If i could just get that download I may be able to play the game.

Revelo:

Singing Gremlin:

I think it what I have been told i just need to add some files. Which begs the question is I needed certain files to play the game why can't Windows pick up on the fact files were missing? I think my brain hurts now.

Microsoft has to ensure tens of thousands of programs from the last decade or two can run in a modern OS. I'm willing to bet that KOTOR2 isn't very high on their list of priorities.

Are you running folding@home GUI? That thing screws with games to no end.

Revelo:

The potential solution to my problem is filtered. I swear I could cry now.

http://www.box.net/shared/4espyb9x4d

You're welcome :]

Eggo:

Revelo:

The potential solution to my problem is filtered. I swear I could cry now.

http://www.box.net/shared/4espyb9x4d

You're welcome :]

If I told you that link was also filtered I would understand if you wanted to come and kick my ass right about now. i will be having words with the admins at my Uni tomorrow.

Have you tried running the game in windows 2000 mode? Although XP mode should work as well, since the game came out in 2004/05. This has worked for me in a lot of games that I can't get to work in Vista (although there haven't been that many.) Simcity 4 comes to mind.

Revelo:
If I told you that link was also filtered I would understand if you wanted to come and kick my ass right about now. i will be having words with the admins at my Uni tomorrow.

Haha, I have no interest in ass kicking. What hosting site isn't filtered for you?

runtheplacered:
Have you tried running the game in windows 2000 mode? Although XP mode should work as well, since the game came out in 2004/05. This has worked for me in a lot of games that I can't get to work in Vista (although there haven't been that many.) Simcity 4 comes to mind.

I have heard you can tell Vista to run as a different OS but didn't know how to get there. I can try though. Might need to show me the way.

Revelo:

runtheplacered:

I have heard you can tell Vista to run as a different OS but didn't know how to get there. I can try though. Might need to show me the way.

Right click on the .exe file and go to the "Compatibility" tab. There will be a section for "Compatibility mode."

Eggo:

Revelo:

Haha, I have no interest in ass kicking. What hosting site isn't filtered for you?

I honestly don't know. I rarely if ever download unless something tickles my fancy or if i absolutely need it. The last time I downloaded something was the mod for Rome: Total War called Fourth Age Total War. I will go and see where i nabbed it from.

EDIT: Lo and Behold, it was from f**ing filefront BEFORE it was filtered. >.<

Eggo:

Revelo:

runtheplacered:

Right click on the .exe file and go to the "Compatibility" tab. There will be a section for "Compatibility mode."

I'd do exactly what he said, only instead of the .exe, use the shortcut that you'll be using to get into the game. That way the original exe remains intact and unchanged, and you don't have to go fishing around for the exe in Program Files, as usually games put the shortcut on your desktop. But, whatever is easier for you.

runtheplacered:

Eggo:

Revelo:

runtheplacered:

I'd do exactly what he said, only instead of the .exe, use the shortcut that you'll be using to get into the game. That way the original exe remains intact and unchanged, and you don't have to go fishing around for the exe in Program Files, as usually games put the shortcut on your desktop. But, whatever is easier for you.

Ah yeah. You bring up a great point.

Eggo:

runtheplacered:

Eggo:

Revelo:

runtheplacered:

Ah yeah. You bring up a great point.

Once again I am sad to announce failure, there is no other OS I can run form, I can't select XP or 2000 as they are not there for selection.

Unless I find an unfiltered file sharing website to get the new sound files I am going to need to moan at the server admins here tomorrow.

There is where it gets even more ridiculous. Filefront is not filtered up until i click on a files download page where i can ask it to start downloading. There is something seriously messed up about the filtering process here.

Does yousendit.com work?

Eggo:
Does yousendit.com work?

I can access it without getting a filter notice. I am not a member though, but I can get a free trial at least and if i sign up for the lite version I have 1GB maximum download at a time.

What about sendspace.com?

Eggo:
What about sendspace.com?

Accessible and i don't need to sign up unless i want extra benefits. Not sure what the maximum download size I have with the free account but i will run with it.

Eggo:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5sey8i

Try that.

YES! I got it without a problem! Just need to add it to the game files now! Bear with me a sec. If this works then if we were ever to meet I will buy you as many drinks as you can handle =P

Eggo:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5sey8i

Try that.

Eggo, you are a god among mortals. The game finally lives! =D Thank you so much, I owe you big time.

Heeey, a happy ending. You don't get that often with computers :P

Hats off to Eggo for fixing it and congratulations to Rev for being a jammy bugger.

I try my best to make sure that people do get it more often with computers :]

Singing Gremlin:
Heeey, a happy ending. You don't get that often with computers :P

Hats off to Eggo for fixing it and congratulations to Rev for being a jammy bugger.

I've not been called that for a while, lol =P

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked