GTA IV expansion

So, i've just heard of a gta4 expansion avaible for download exclusively from xbl in february 2009 (yes i am in the stone age)
The expansion will see a new stroyline and characters but stay in New York (gasp!) I mean um... Libery City.
The expansion is supposed to "show a different side to liberty city."
I've added this topic basically so people could express how they felt about the news
On a side note, it's ok to complain you won't get it on ps3 or pc, but no console wars please. We are better than that on the escapist.
I thank you.

Tomw1812:
On a side note, it's ok to complain you won't get it on ps3 or pc, but no console wars please. We are better than that on the escapist.

Ok. I'm annoyed we probably won't get this on the PC. Apart from that, I couldn't care less.

hated gta 4, won't even try to download content. good luck to those that do though.

GTA IV was an expansion pack.

EzraPound:

Yes, obviously a 30+ hour set of story missions is so short it must be an expansion especially when The main character has *gasp* character development! Shocking, I know, but it was an expansion obviously.

On-topic: I just finished GTA 4 after a few weeks of Fallout 3, and it was easily one of the best games I've played so I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Ah well if the PC version doesn't get the DLC than that doesn't matter, it will be better anyway. Haha, feel the wrath of my flame attack. Though I would suspect that GTA 4 for the PC would get the extra missions as Microsoft did pay for exclusive DLC and they do own Windows.

Well, I guess I don't feel so bad I kept it around now when I went and sold off Rock Band. I just hope it's decent, and that they remember that GTA hasn't exactly been made popular by grim dark grim darkness, at least in the gameplay.

Yes, obviously a 30+ hour set of story missions is so short it must be an expansion especially when The main character has *gasp* character development! Shocking, I know, but it was an expansion obviously.

I meant that the gameplay is worse than the earlier GTAs (handling relationships is cumbersome; there are alot of regressions from San Andreas; the missions are less inventive), and, where it succeeds, is entirely derivative of its progenitors (thusly like an expansion pack). Also, the city is yuck.

If this expansion added extra map maybe even some countryside than it would be good but it will nto effect me because i play GTA4 on a PS3

TGLT:
Well, I guess I don't feel so bad I kept it around now when I went and sold off Rock Band. I just hope it's decent, and that they remember that GTA hasn't exactly been made popular by grim dark grim darkness, at least in the gameplay.

Yeah, it's totally not popular. It's not like it's sold a kerjillion copies or anything.

sold gt4 anyway wasnt my cup of tea

Hey Joe:

TGLT:

Yeah, it's totally not popular. It's not like it's sold a kerjillion copies or anything.

What brought GTA to the point where GTA IV sold as well as it did? The hijinks. The honestly insane activities that you could do, the silly minigames and the less than realistic gameplay. GTA was rather arcadey in terms of game play and it relished in it.

I think TGLT was referring to the series being made popular not from its grittiness, but its cartoonishness (e.g. GTA III, Vice City). It wasn't until San Andreas that they took a left turn down gritty realism alley...

I doubt TGLT was denying that the series has sold well...

GTAIV wouldn't have sold as well as it did (and continues to do) if the majority of people were put off by its 'grittiness'. If they were, the majority of gamers would have traded it in on about day two.

It's gritty. It's popular. It will sell DLC like hotcakes.

Hey Joe:
GTAIV wouldn't have sold as well as it did (and continues to do) if the majority of people were put off by its 'grittiness'. If they were, the majority of gamers would have traded it in on about day two.

I'm just going to point out that trading in games doesn't magically lower the number sold, other then negatively impacting it by offering used games earlier

Hey Joe:

I'm more convinced that people were sold on history alone. They liked the previous GTA games, so they got GTA IV. That's why I got GTA IV. I knew nothing about the game before I bought it. And as Altorin said, the sales totals don't include how many people returned the game.

I would be on it if I ever got it back from Take2! Damm disk replacement program.

I'm more convinced that people were sold on history alone. They liked the previous GTA games, so they got GTA IV. That's why I got GTA IV. I knew nothing about the game before I bought it. And as Altorin said, the sales totals don't include how many people returned the game.

Ummm... GTA IV sold a ton of copies; not many were returned, and it roundly received perfect scores from critics. It's admittedly suffered a small backlash from the gaming 'elite', but all's more than well in GTA-land nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to it. The market seems to be filled perfectly now, with saints row filling the crazy-colorful-funplosion area, and GTA moving toward being more serious, which I also enjoy. So I'm looking forward to spending more time in liberty city. Maybe they'll even add some new side missions. like atm jackings, or bank robberies.

EzraPound:

Ummm... GTA IV sold a ton of copies; not many were returned, and it roundly received perfect scores from critics. It's admittedly suffered a small backlash from the gaming 'elite', but all's more than well in GTA-land nonetheless.

Plus, you know how Retailers just love taking back OPENED electronics in anyform, especially software. Unless they scalped them at Gamestop, but that would get them what, 30 bucks.

OuroborosChoked:

Hey Joe:

So? Just because your stupid doesn't mean the other ten million people who bought it were also. How hard was if for them to hit up IGN or gamestop and read a few reviews. With the amount of coverage this game got, it's almost impossible to say you knew nothing about it.

thenuminator:
sold gt4 anyway wasnt my cup of tea

I should totally do that. Bored me, every new street someone was phoning to go to dinner. eurghh, stop. It's just sitting on my shelf.

I heard PS3 had it's own seperate DLC. Was this scrapped?
I hope the DLC is good for everyone that wants it. I'm not fussed.

PS3 and PC owner here, ended up buying GTA on the console. Very nice, very real, very dull.

Once I completed GTA SA I was able to go back and spend hours just dicking around and then turn off without having to save, hours just playing for fun with no hint of trying to achieve anything. The problem with GTA 4 is it decided to lose the crazy shit. The stuff like jumping off that huge god damn mountain (mount chilliad) on a bmx or a quad bike and surviving, stealing a military jet and going on a rampage, jumping in a monster truck and going on a crushtacular rampage. It was the madness that made GTA SA and the games before it so fun.

The maps were interesting with each local having something that made the maps memorable and interesting. Just for example look at the airport in LC Mark I and the airport in LC Mark II. The one in Mark II is much larger so their should be far more going on far more to get up to but their isn't. Mark I actually had aircraft landing and taking off, Mark II just has an aircraft that goes round and round forever, nothing coming or going. Mark I had the Dodo, you could spend hours trying to get that thing to fly, Mark II has nowt. I could navigate from any point in SA to any point in SA and the same went for VC (Vice City) and the first LC (Liberty City) and it was down to the interesting landmarks in the city that made them worth remembering.

GTA4 whilst enjoyable in it's own way and very nice to look at is frankly dull. The city is just another city; endless streets that all look the same. Why do you think they gave you a sat nav to get about with, because the map is so unforgettable you won't bother to learn it. The funny thing is whilst their is more life in the streets of GTA IV there is much much less of note actually going on.

I should be annoyed that I won't get the DLC but frankly I am not. Liberty City Mark II is not a city I want to go back too. Unless the DLC adds content which brings back the madness then I can't say I am that bothered about not getting it. What could bother me though is if Rockstar are busy diverting resource from the next GTA game to scoop in cash with daft DLC content but I gotta a feeling that GTA 4 is a landmark in the GTA series. The death of the sillyness that made GTA so fun. I am worried that the next GTA will not magically reintroduce this sillyness and for the first time in almost a decade I am seriously considering NOT buying the next GTA game.

The Potato Lord:

EzraPound:

Well said sir.

The Potato Lord:

EzraPound:

On-topic: I just finished GTA 4 after a few weeks of Fallout 3, and it was easily one of the best games I've played so I'm looking forward to the expansion.

When they are basically the same mission repeated for 30 hours then yeah, it's an expansion back game with arbitrary padding.

What is the DLC going to contain? More 'friends' to call you up and bother you every ten minutes? No thanks. Saints Row 2 killed GTA for me.

It's a great game. Downloadable content should be sweet.

Mathew952:

OuroborosChoked:

Hey Joe:

So? Just because your stupid doesn't mean the other ten million people who bought it were also. How hard was if for them to hit up IGN or gamestop and read a few reviews. With the amount of coverage this game got, it's almost impossible to say you knew nothing about it.

Excuse me? Was that called for? And why exactly am I stupid? Because I didn't obsessively look up every single news item about the game before I bought it? And what exactly is your point? You start with "so?" but it's not responding to anything in particular. You just seem to want to butt in with a nonsense comment. And don't you think it's just slightly ironic whenever someone writes "your stupid" instead of the correct way to write it ("you're stupid")? I mean, you can't even call that a typo. Just something to think about...

And yeah, I didn't know anything about GTA IV before I bought it, so it's not impossible to say that, as you claim, or even nearly so. I didn't read up on it because I didn't want to spoil any of it. I knew it was going to be a solid game, so I picked it up. So to conclude, what exactly is your point?

Thats pretty cool, but i still enjoy life in Liberty City in GTA 4 right now. i think ill wait and see how i feel in february.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked