Any good JRPGs on the PC?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Several years ago I developed a special place in my heart for JRPGs while playing FF9. It continued through FF8 (until the terrible story turned me away) and I even managed to get my hands on some old ones for older consoles (Romancing Sa-ga 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3 come to mind). Also, I loved the Golden Sun games on GBA.

It's been a while since I played a JRPG, and the biggest issue I'm facing is the fact that I'm currently limited to my PC. I managed to get a used copy of FF7, but the character models make playing the game painful to me. Ironically, I have no problems looking at pixelated sprites in older games...

Are there any good JRPGs out there for the PC? Even half-arsed console ports might be sufficient.

Also, there's a slight chance I might be able to con a friend out of an old PSX, so anything on that platform I should keep my eyes open for? Aside from the Final Fantasy games, that is...

Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Japanese-only release but there's an English fan patch which comes with most torrents (buying it is impossible).

Of course the PC can always be used as a SNES/PSX/Genesis/Saturn emulator...

For PSX JRPGs there are four essential non-FFs (Valkyrie Profile, Saga Frontier 2, Xenogears, Vagrant Story) and several very good ones (Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, Suikoden II, Star Ocean, Persona 2...)

I'm aware of PC's emulation properties, that's how I got to play the old console games. I'm always a bit reluctant about emulation PSX games since they tend to look and sound a lot worse than on the actual console, hence my attempts so secure an old PSX.

Thank you for the list, gives me a decent start :)

Yeah I agree, they do tend to look & sound like shit most of the time. Plus you don't get to sit on a nice comfy couch. ^_^

Try Grandia 2 if you can find it. Was officially released onto the PC a few years ago. It has a great battling and levelling up system, and though it can be a bit heavy going, it should be pretty cheap if you can pick it up somewhere.

harhol:
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Japanese-only release but there's an English fan patch which comes with most torrents (buying it is impossible).

Of course the PC can always be used as a SNES/PSX/Genesis/Saturn emulator...

For PSX JRPGs there are four essential non-FFs (Valkyrie Profile, Saga Frontier 2, Xenogears, Vagrant Story) and several very good ones (Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, Suikoden II, Star Ocean, Persona 2...)

Suikoden II should really be in your list of essentials. Yay for someone else who knows how utterly fantastic Vangrant Story was however.

NovaStalker:
Suikoden II should really be in your list of essentials.

The diagonal thing really bugged me though (I played it emulated on PSP). It's a pathetic excuse I know.
Maybe because I played Suikoden III and IV before II?
: /
(sorry)

Why PC? Why not go to the source? If you want jRPGs, get a PS2, that's where they're at. The PC is mostly bereft of jRPGs, thank God.

harhol:
Yeah I agree, they do tend to look & sound like shit most of the time. Plus you don't get to sit on a nice comfy couch. ^_^

hmm...I don't get that problem with my PSXE emulator. It all depends on your configuration that you set up for it, my games actually looks on par or better when I play. i am sure by now too people have good enough comps to run them too.

Oh and if your patient, last remnant will hit PC's either lat spring/early summer or somewhere along that line. I really wish there were more JRPG's o the PC, I am tired of shooters and RTS's. I have enough shooter games, I hate RTS's, and aside from guild wars, MMO's suck (for me that is). Thank god squenix is very friendly to us PSP owners :)

-Seraph-:

harhol:

hmm...I don't get that problem with my PSXE emulator. It all depends on your configuration that you set up for it, my games actually looks on par or better when I play. i am sure by now too people have good enough comps to run them too.

Maybe I've done something wrong... I dunno. I usually play them on the PSP now anyway.

Septerra Core, Final Fantasies VII and VIII were released on PC, most of the Ys games have PC ports too. In general, Japanese don't do PC gaming, so PC JRPGs are usually either western, and/or homebrew titles.

Jandau:
I'm aware of PC's emulation properties, that's how I got to play the old console games. I'm always a bit reluctant about emulation PSX games since they tend to look and sound a lot worse than on the actual console, hence my attempts so secure an old PSX.

My experience is that aside from 2D games, the filters make the games look better. Not like you can't disable the filters if you want to have experience it more like the real thing.

Well, thanks to a local video store, their huge repository of games and a very kind owner, I've secured copies of Xenogears and Vagrant Story for what amounts to an indefinite period. Then, it was off to the Internet's somewhat shady areas to secure emulation software. Fast forward one hour of tweaking my ePSXe plugins and...

Vagrant Story is cool. The JRPG version of Diablo. The story seems interesting and the combat system is varied to say the least. There is just one issue: the game is BRUTAL! The combo attack system is fairly unforgiving to mistakes. It's like a constant quick-time event, but almost every weapon/attack combination is timed differently, so switching weapons means you need to get used to entirely new timings. And you get a split second to get it right. And the split second keeps getting shorter with each subsequent attack...

Add to this the fact that 2 hours into the game enemies are regularly almost immune to damage unless I hit them with a weapon attuned to their racial type. The only way to attune a weapon is to hit an enemy of a certain type. And when one type of attunement rises, most of the others drop. So I guess I'm supposed to carry one weapon for every type of baddie, and that's before I get into the elemental properties....

Add to this a deceptively simple crafting system and a very cramped inventory. The game's great, but I can see it'll take a lot of chamomile tea to calm my nerves when I get back in there...

Getting ready to fire up Xenogears...

Jandau:
Well, thanks to a local video store, their huge repository of games and a very kind owner, I've secured copies of Xenogears and Vagrant Story for what amounts to an indefinite period. Then, it was off to the Internet's somewhat shady areas to secure emulation software. Fast forward one hour of tweaking my ePSXe plugins and...

Vagrant Story is cool. The JRPG version of Diablo. The story seems interesting and the combat system if varied to say the least. There is just one issue: the game is BRUTAL! The combo attack system is fairly unforgiving to mistakes. It's like a constant quick-time event, but almost every weapon/attack combination is timed differently, so switching weapons means you need to get used to entirely new timings.

Add to this the fact that 2 hours into the game enemies are regularly almost immune to damage unless I hit them with a weapon attuned to their racial type. The only way to attune a weapon is to hit an enemy of a certain type. And when one type of attunement rises, most of the others drop.

Add to this a deceptively simple crafting system and a very cramped inventory. The game's great, but I can see it'll take a lot of chamomile tea to calm my nerves when I get back in there...

Getting ready to fire up Xenogears...

I loved Vagrant Story and Xenogears(was never a huge xenosaga fan) and they have some of the most unique stories and combat systems created for its time.

Vagrant story took the turn based combat to a whole new level by implementing the super mario rpg timing system where you turn would end when you missed yout timing swinging your weapon. Also there was unlimited gameplay because the game difficulty would constantly be harder each time you beat the game and of course all the different weapons to customize. The story using Shakespear's plays characters for names and a medievil gothic theme was brilliant.

Xenogears is also a great story which introduced anime cutscenes done very well and amazing combat with 2 styles. Martial arts is still my favorite because of how many unique moves each character had that had to be discovered but the mech combat was also a lot of fun as well but faster paced except the boss battles. Still one of my favorites along with legend of Legaia for the playstation.

You picked up some real winners from the playstation/n64 era Jandau. Hold on to them and enjoy.

EDIT: Oh and to be on topic, yeah jrpgs on the pc is few and far between. I know I have final fantasy 7 but for todays games I cannot even think of one released.

I don't understand the point of asking about JRPGs on the PC. As another poster said, PCs are an unpopular gaming medium in Japan largely thanks to a strong console market there. Emulator-wise however, pSX (that's how the name is spelt) is brilliant. It doesn't need any configuation with plug-ins and it emulates perfectly. As with all emulators, all you need is a bios and a game.

Square is releasing "The Last Remnant" for PC. If you have a good gaming PC, then any technical issues the XBOX 360 version had will probably be non-existant. Meaning it will be even more awesome then it already is.

Mortified Penguin:
I don't understand the point of asking about JRPGs on the PC. As another poster said, PCs are an unpopular gaming medium in Japan largely thanks to a strong console market there. Emulator-wise however, pSX (that's how the name is spelt) is brilliant. It doesn't need any configuation with plug-ins and it emulates perfectly. As with all emulators, all you need is a bios and a game.

Well, I'm asking about them on the PC due to my lack of funds to afford a current gen console. Older stuff I can emulate, hence my dipping into the old PSX titles. I'll give the pSX emulator a whirl, can't hurt if its that easy to set up.

Final fantasy 11

Jandau:
[stuff]

In Vagrant Story be sure to combine your copper & silver equipment (I think) in the workshop to get Hagane equipment. It makes things a hell of a lot easier. This isn't cheating; the tutorials are just vague and unhelpful (in my opinion). It's still very challenging though, particularly the first third, and...

Ah, Xenogears. Objectively the best game ever made. Personally I found it pretty boring for the first fifteen or so hours but I still consider it one of my all-time favourite games. Disc two is something else. The combat system is amazing but I'd say there's probably an 80/20 ratio of plot to exploration/combat. No, seriously. Be prepared to spend two or three hours at a time clicking through line after line of poorly translated dialogue as inch-high sprites with bizarre names discuss the meaning of life & the universe. Once the plot gets going it's untouchable... it just takes a while to get there! If you have the time and patience it's well worth it.

Really Harhol? I beat Vagrant story final boss without a guide. Although I will admit I had to restart my game all over again because my first save file I got myself stuck because I went into the games deep deep dungeon and could not solve the puzzle or was strong enough to beat the next set of monsters.

The game is hard but so worth playing.

Mstrswrd:
Square is releasing "The Last Remnant" for PC. If you have a good gaming PC, then any technical issues the XBOX 360 version had will probably be non-existant. Meaning it will be even more awesome then it already is.

This is cool to know, especially since I haven't dumped any money on the console version yet.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 also came out on the PC as well, although they're somewhat dated. Then there's Final Fantasy XI, which is a MMORPG.

I'm sure you can find an infinite number of flash games and ridiculous parodies (such as Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden). JRPGs aren't that hard to find on the PC, thanks in part to the RPG Maker series.

I'd have to say try legend of dragoon for the ps1 its a decent game however the combo system requires quite abit of precision

Tenmar:
Really Harhol?

Afraid so.

His "we are Squaresoft, fuck you" attack just kept killing me in one hit, and I could only do 1HP of damage to him with each attack. Perhaps it was because I didn't fully buy into the weapon customization where you're supposed to have one anti-dark weapon, one anti-fire weapon, etc. Wasn't it the case that you...

Someone mentioned RPG Maker, and that stirred up memories of The Way, a series you may want to try. Not quite JRPG, but not that far off.And you transfer your saves from game to game so you can keep your levels, which is nice.

I'd also recommend a bunch of games from here, a few of which are SkyE, Beloved Rapture, Corporal Buggy Bear, U.S.G. ~A New Beginning~ and A Blurred Line.

I learned an interesting thing about PSX emulation: Options are not a good thing. Setting a PSX game to run in 1024X768 rez with all the bells and whistles on makes the game look bad. To be precise, while it makes some of it look better (higher resolution on everything), it also makes things like textures seem painfully inadequate.

I just tried the pSX emulator and it's a vast improvement over ePSXe simply because it makes the game look how it's supposed to. Sure, it's grainy and the pixels are huge by today's standards, but at least it looks "right" (not sure how else to put it).

Thanx for the tips about Vagrant Story. I'm getting dead set on beating the game at this point simply because it's been a while since a game honestly challenged me in a way that didn't feel cheap.

I'm happy to hear about the Last Remnant coming to PC since I've heard some good things about the game (heard some bad things too, but what the heck), though I can't seem to find a release date...

Jandau:
I just tried the pSX emulator and it's a vast improvement over ePSXe simply because it makes the game look how it's supposed to. Sure, it's grainy and the pixels are huge by today's standards, but at least it looks "right" (not sure how else to put it).

Well, that's what settings are for, aren't they? You can set the resolution to 640x480, disable all filtering and the game will "look how it's supposed to". The only real problem you'll have is that if the game is using a lot of 2D, the game will look awful (see: Valkyrie Profile, FFT). 3D games will look vastly better though.

Woe Is You:

Jandau:

Well, that's what settings are for, aren't they? You can set the resolution to 640x480, disable all filtering and the game will "look how it's supposed to". The only real problem you'll have is that if the game is using a lot of 2D, the game will look awful (see: Valkyrie Profile, FFT). 3D games will look vastly better though.

Not to nitpick, but the Playstation was technically incapable of 640x480. It actually ran at about 320x280.

Good? JRPG? I find it hard to put these words together.

Codgo:

Wow, that was an interesting and novel contribution. And that's saying something from someone with a self-professed loathing of the genre. Really, just because you don't like something dosn't mean you can't at least grin, bear it and contribute.

Codgo:

Most of the Shin Megami Tensei games, some Final Fantasy games, the Chrono series, Baten Kaitos, etc.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't good.

On topic: You should really consider buying a PS2 if you want to play some JRPG's. Othern than that FF VII and FF VIII maybe?

Mstrswrd:

wow I thought gametrailers was the only one who liked the game since they were the only ones who DIDN'T nit pick to the extreme over easily fixable with a patch tech issues. I am confident for the PC and PS3 they will fix those tech issues. I bet the main reason for them was due to the fact MS payed for their precious timed exclusive hence rushing it out before it's done. Square are not typically one's to release buggy games.

Mortified Penguin:

Codgo:

Wow, that was an interesting and novel contribution. And that's saying something from someone with a self-professed loathing of the genre. Really, just because you don't like something dosn't mean you can't at least grin, bear it and contribute.

Calm down big boy.

Don't make me quote that Justin Timberlake song..

The question is, any good JRPGS ?
Zing!

Codgo:

Mortified Penguin:

Codgo:

Calm down big boy.

Don't make me quote that Justin Timberlake song..

"I'm bringing sexy back?"

MA7743W:
The question is, any good JRPGS ?
Zing!

Are there any good western rpgs?
zing!

see what I did there?

Prolly good by your standards, but not by mine or the jrpg fans. I love J-SRPGs, and it turns out the western audience can't handle turn based, and Jagged Alliance 3, is still no where to be seen. ;(

Mortified Penguin:

Not to nitpick, but the Playstation was technically incapable of 640x480. It actually ran at about 320x280.

Well, considering even the SNES supported 512x448...

Technically the PS1 could run resolutions from 256x224 to 640x480. Most of the games worth mentioning really ran in 640x480 so that's the setting you'd be using if you wanted to emulate PS1 games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked