Cult Classic Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You hear the phrase "Cult classic" chucked around a lot in the film industry, but I've never really heard it used when describing a game.

Do you have a game you would consider a "Cult Classic" and why? If you've played several which of them is your faviourite?

EDIT: Some people are a bit confused as to what a "Cult Classic" is. A cult classic is a film (or in this case, game) that isn't very popular but has recieved a small, cult like following that adore it.

A good example is Psyconauts, a game that has been played by few, but is held in high regard by thoughs who have.

Yeah, I know Shadow of the Colossus is a cult classic in my definition of the term.

xitel:
Yeah, I know Shadow of the Colossus is a cult classic in my term.

That was what I was going to say.

I'd say the term cult classic derives from something originally being cult, a relative commercial failure that attracted a small, devout group of followers, and then becoming classic, i.e. well known and recognised for its quality.

Video games I'd file under that idea would include Shadow of the Colossus but more so the game that preceded it, Ico. Rez seemed a bit of a sleeper, as did Killer7. Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango were all games that saw release profiles that didn't match their quality. Another World is a really old game that I'd shove in here as it definitely has a cult following, although I'm not sure if it's become appreciated enough to be considered classic.

Biggest one I can think of would be Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's surprising most people don't know about it, considering it was made by Bethesda. And yes, it was the reason for my screen name.

Well, Urban Dictionary defines a "cult classic" as follows:

1. Something that's really hip with a select group of people.

2.A popular piece of work, generally a movie, which has gained a large following. This following has most likely been around for at least a few years, except for cases of an 'instant cult classic,' in which a movie gains instant fame which remains for decades to come.

If we're going by this definition, I would have to say Halo.

+1 for the following

Psychonauts
Beyond Good and Evil
Alone in the Dark
Rez
Grim Fandango

Others that may be considered

Perimeter
Jet Force Gemini
Anachronox
Nocturne
Planescape torment

Xojins:

2.A popular piece of work, generally a movie, which has gained a large following. This following has most likely been around for at least a few years, except for cases of an 'instant cult classic,' in which a movie gains instant fame which remains for decades to come.

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Never question the mighty Wiki

EarthBound fits the bill perfectly.
It sold rather poorly outside of Japan, but over the years has ammassed a large and dedicated following, many of whom are trying extremely hard to get Nintendo to localise Mother 3 outside of Japan.

I would say that Zelda: Ocarina of time is a cult game being one of the best games ever made an many people will immediately think off that game if you mention Zelda.

Scorched Earth.

SomeBritishDude:

Xojins:

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Never question the mighty Wiki

Well, no, not wrong. I was going by the Urban Dictionary definitions. The word you're looking for is "different."

Edit: Yes, never question Wiki ;)

Final Fantasy 7, 'nuff said.

SuperFriendBFG:
Scorched Earth.

best game ever

*opens replica Arc of the Covenant, pulls out copy of Okami, waves it in the air*

Ooh! Ooh! How about this one?

Monkey Island! it'll never get old :)

Ace of Spades:

xitel:
Yeah, I know Shadow of the Colossus is a cult classic in my term.

That was what I was going to say.

Agreed

Well, I'd have to say "Kingdom Under Fire : The crusaders" and "Gun"

I would say Disgaea for PS2. It initially didn't sell very well and IGN even gave it a "Best game no one played" award.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was very good in my opinion, and apparently with a lot of fellow gamers as well. Didn't sell so well initially but it slowly rose to a very respected game over the course of about a year.

Check out Scorch 3D for you Scorched Earth fans. It does a great job at making Scorched Earth 3D. They were nice enough to add in a nice little feature that allows you to auto-aim the turret direction, but much like the original you still need to set the power and angle manually. Of course wind also means you probably want to compensate for wind in your turret direction. I called it turret direction because angle is already taken by the aim height of the gun. :P

And if you like the classic, check this out: Scorch 2000
Scorch 2000 has multiplayer support over internet through the web page. It's so epic.

Both of the above games are addictive too.

Grim Fandy.
Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

SuperFriendBFG:
Scorched Earth.

Hell yea, those were the days. When I came on this thread I was expecting lots of oldschool stuff like that. Jazz jackrabbit, oldschool duke nukem, where he gets his reboks. Anything by Apogee is a cult classic to me.
Monkey island as well of course.

Fallout 1+2 - Isometric C/WRPG gaming at its best.

Yellow Lad Unleashed:

You must be joking.

Izakflashman:

SuperFriendBFG:
Scorched Earth.

Hell yea, those were the days. When I came on this thread I was expecting lots of oldschool stuff like that. Jazz jackrabbit, oldschool duke nukem, where he gets his reboks. Anything by Apogee is a cult classic to me.
Monkey island as well of course.

WOW Apogee, those were the days.

There was also a top down space shooter out there that could be played by 2 players locally on the same keyboard. I remember pixelated 2D graphics and well... Space ships. The name has totally eluded me. I doubt it was developed by Apogee, but mentioning Apogee made me think of it.

Shadow of the Colossus sold quite well, it was number 1 in the Japanese charts on release. I think ICO is much more qualified as a cult game than SOC.

Although this is going by my personal definition of a creation that isn't hugely popular at first but appeals to certain kinds of people, and gains more recognition as time goes on.

Untamed Waters:

Yellow Lad Unleashed:

You must be joking.

What gives you that impression?
Final Fantasy 7 was a phenomenon and I doubt that you can tell me that there still isn't a fanbase for it. The Final Fantasy series by itself is phenomenal in the public's reaction to it. The ratings prove it, the Final Fantasy series is astounding in it's fanbase. Even though in recent years, the Final Fantasy 7 bandwagon has slipped off the trail because of Final Fantasy: Advent Children, there are still enough people out there that love Final Fantasy 7 to make it a cult classic.

Yellow Lad Unleashed:

Untamed Waters:

Yellow Lad Unleashed:

You must be joking.

What gives you that impression?
Final Fantasy 7 was a phenomenon and I doubt that you can tell me that there still isn't a fanbase for it. The Final Fantasy series by itself is phenomenal in the public's reaction to it. The ratings prove it, the Final Fantasy series is astounding in it's fanbase. Even though in recent years, the Final Fantasy 7 bandwagon has slipped off the trail because of Final Fantasy: Advent Children, there are still enough people out there that love Final Fantasy 7 to make it a cult classic.

We're talking about cult classics. Usually an under rated game that has a small fanbase, but very loyal fans. I will admit that FF7 is VERY popular, but that's the thing, it's VERY popular.

Europa Universalis and Children of the Nile would be considered cult classics in my opinion. Those are two off the top of my head.

I don't know if it's quite qualified as a "cult classic", but I'd push Battletoads for the NES forward. Not many people that I know know what it is, but the few that do love it.

Any one else agree? Or am I alone in this one?

Shinning force I guess even though it was popular today playing it would be my definition of a cult classic

Beyond Good and Evil would be the best example I can think of, it was a commercial failure but a sequel is being made because it was very popular amongst the people who bought it.

I'd probably say transport tycoon.

Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Monkey Island, Victoria, Grim Fandango, Street Wars.

So many good examples.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked