Are people's internet connections really that bad?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

sunsetspawn:

Zenn3k:

Jago1130:

*gasp* REALLY?!?!11111

No shit Sherlock, Would you like me to list how many of the games I play on a regular basis I cant play when my internet or their servers go down, on my pc, or my current gen consoles?

You're missing the point.

Umm, unless you're using Origin, the answer should be ZERO.

Tsk tsk, feeling a little uninformed today, are we? Don't fret about it, because it's been hidden from the consumer.

There is at least one publisher that has sneakily implemented a *sort of* online requirement in single player 360 titles that essentially prevents you from playing without a connection by locking you out of save files.

"Like hell!" you say. "Oh no, it's true," says I.

You see, I live in an area just north of NYC that gets hammered by hurricanes and nor'easters, and coupled with the other everyday bullshit, I average about 2 weeks a year (almost double in '12) without internet (or TV, back before I cut the chord, more on that later).
This has given me a few opportunities to learn that image figured out a way to get consumers to unknowingly "agree" to an always online requirement in its single player games.

Now I've always thought EA was for the popamole retards and avoided their games, but when they bought Bioware I had no choice but to go against my better judgement and buy their games. The dumbing down of Bioware aside, EA included a little piece of glossy paper with a magic code in all of these Bioware games, and I thought I was getting something for FREE, YAY! Alas, I wasn't. Those pieces of paper allowed a one time download of a bonus (person, place, or thing) which would then incorporate into your saved game file. IF your 360 couldn't contact the EA servers when you put the disc in the trey your save games become "corrupt" (until the connection comes back) and you can either start a new game or not play. The clever thing about this is that the moment the servers come back the bonus *noun* would immediately incorporate into your save game, thus rendering it useless the NEXT time the internet fails. I'm sure it's all there in the fine print of the glossy piece of paper that this is the case. As long as you're aware of it you can opt out by not entering that magic code, but at what cost? No DLC whatsoever, that's the cost, but it seems that EA enjoys leaving out crucial bits of their games as DLC. No multiplayer as well, but lol multiplayer.

Perhaps this wouldn't have happened if I were using the first 360 I purchased. I swapped the HDD into an elite and I do have to log into my main account every time I turn it on, so I often wonder if that's a factor. Either way those filthy cocksuckers were requiring my 360 to be online just so I could play my single player games that I fucking purchased with my money. Once you've fucked with my money we have a motherfucking problem, so on that fact alone I cannot buy an XBone.

But what about cable? HAHAHAHA, what is this, 1997? Integrating cable into the XBone was some out-of-touch execs boardroom epiphany. Since 2008, in the US, cable (and Fios and satellite) subscriber rates have been falling by roughly 1 million people per year, which each year showing slight gains in the amount of people doing so.

I don't need an all-in-one device in my living room. I have a blu-ray player, and HD-DVD player (shut up, I got madd free HD-DVDs), a 360, a Roku, and the industry's best HDMI switcher, and that's FINE. Interestingly enough, I haven't "watched" much entertainment in many months, despite all of these devices, but I've still played about 3 hours of video games a week (even after hurricane Sandy with no internet), so how are my priorities being met? Exactly, they aren't. Borderlands 2 and I were chillin after that hurricane raped my internet for two weeks straight. But guess what game wouldn't cooperate? That's right, that big, steaming pile of shit, Mass Effect 3.

So anyhow, Microsoft can go fuck itself.

Yeah, that really is the point of this, I don't know why I kept rambling. Just fuck Microsoft, seriously.

I suppose there is always an exception, but its still not even close to the norm.

At least EA is moving away from that kinda nonsense.

Well considering I'm the only one of my friends that actually can get broadband internet due to location issues. Yea. Internet connections are still kinda shitty in about 90% of the world.

50 kbs

I download at TWENTY FUCKING kbs

can barely connect to Xbox Live, so the Xbone is pretty much out for me...
... not that it realy matters, this thread is a pretty obvious troll

I find it highly amusing that when I tried to open this page, my internet bugged out on me and it couldn't actually open the page. When your internet is highly erratic, it becomes a big issue with always-online requirements.

Yes, some peoples internet connections are REALLY that bad.. One of the downsides to living in a non-metro area of Australia.

I still don't have a constant connection. I'd really rather not have to depend on my internet not suddenly disappearing as it is wont to do in order to play my games.

YES! The fact that i can browse is a miracle. i once tried to measure the speed. it was to low and too weak for it to be measured. even posting this is hell

Jago1130:

Trick question, I know it rocks, I AM the provider

I seem to be having a hard time understanding this. What do you mean you are your own provider?

I've always teetered between good internet and no internet. Sometimes I'll have it for a few months, then I lose it again. I've been relying on a cell phone with data for about a year now, so I've got something to do, but it's noticeably not the complete package.

I don't think I've gone over 6 months with stable internet, so an XBone would be a pretty stupid investment on my part.

GAunderrated:
I've seen with D3, SimCity, and even on steam how annoying it can get not being able to play games online when you want too. I love steam to death but even I have to admit it is REALLY annoying when they do a maintenance at 4pm when I want to play online.

^^^This. I fondly remember that when Half-Life 2 came out, how nobody was able to play. Before Steam was considered the Messiah of publishers, online distribution, and gaming clients it was the most hated and derided software for PC Gamers.

Microsoft has been running huge servers and online services for a long time, but even the biggest can fall. EA proved that with Origin. Blizzard with Battle.net.

Out of the over 76 million Xbox 360s sold worldwide, there are only 46 Million Xbox Live accounts. (How many of them are active is up to speculation.) Microsoft would miss huge chunk of their customer base.

For the record, I have a fast internet connection. Speedtest.net just clocked me with a 28.8Mbs Download Speed. However, not everyone I know does, and consoles are things I like to bring to other peoples' homes. Some of them are lucky to even get a single Mbs on their shoddy Wi-Fi DSL.

Jago1130:

Mr.K.:
I get this niggling feeling that exact same post can be found on sites like 4chan...
If you are into trolling then that really is a better place for it.

No, I'm really wondering, the way people are reacting its like they expect to spend more time not being able to play it than being able to. Which certainly hasn't been my experience with xbox live or my own personal connection.

I'm wondering if its really that flaky for other people or if they are just being melodramatic and biased.

It's a fair point. Personally, I don't think I'm never not with an internet connection and I live in an urban area of Great Britain, so it's not so bad.

Even here though, amidst suburbia for as far as the eye can see, I know people who have an XBox 360 who have never used live or any internet service in thier console. They have laptops for that, no desktop, and the console is purely a device to play sports related games with 2 or more players. There are lots and lots of people for whom the Xbox is merely a tool for which they play Halo with their mates.

The new XBox alienates these people. It says "I spit on your money!". It also alienates Australians and other peoples whose internet infrastructure is akin to 2 tin cans and a length of string.

There are positives though. Digital media is the way forward now, for everything. TV, Films, Games, Music, Books, the works. Most of us PC gamers (not all) are pretty much beholden to Valve for all our shit. If Steam shut down I would lose half my libary. With the XBone your libary would be with Microsoft, who aren't likely to go all wonky any time soon. The thing is though, if Valve went to the wall then I could back my existing libary up to a drive or two and then find another provider. When Microsoft and everyone else gets bored of the XBone you may not have that luxery, but to be honest you'll probably have that issue with any other console. It's just with this whole business with the second hand gaming and having to connect every 24 hours that Microsoft seem to have set up their stall very much in the "when we stop supporting this your fucked" camp.

Well consider.

I pay about 60 a month for my internet, I get right around 2.5 Mb/s and I have a 200 gig data cap.. While the global average is 13.7 Mb/s with NO cap...

Now depending on what the Xbox does, that could eat into my data cap or broadband speeds significantly

I live in a fairly wealthy suburb, where you would expect connections to be good. Nope. Not internet or mobile phone coverage. It's not that it's bad, it's just not reliably strong or fast. I absolutely HATE the idea of a system generated requirement to be online for any reason. I don't mind certain games being multiplayer only - that's a design choice.

DoPo:

Soviet Heavy:
Well, right now my download speed averages 50Kb/s.

In which case, you're under the 1.5 Mbps (for the record, that's ~200 KB/s) that Microsoft said Xbox One needs.

Anyway, few years ago, there was something like 20% of the population of the UK still using 56K modems. Simply because they couldn't get broadband. Not sure how the numbers have changed but I assure you, there are people with really wonky connections still. And even if you get broadband, it doesn't mean it'd be good.

I won't be able to meet that either then. So yes an xbone would be useless to me.

Yes my connection really is that bad.

I live in an area of london that simply has crappy internet, end of story.
Its happened that ive lost internet connection for days but most often the connection itself is just intermittent, meaning when it happens i avoid playing multiplayer games and count myself lucky just to be able to watch youtube videos.

Again its worth pointing out i dont live in a backwater area, i live in LONDON.
So yeh peeps, if you got perfect internet, good on you, but dont think awesome internet access is universal, even in developped western countries.

Your post doesn't take into account billions of people without a cast-iron internet connection.

Even in developed countries the Infrastructure is prone to hiccups. I've head a lot of people in smaller towns in the US have no choice of ISP and therefore their connections are both expensive, unreliable and shitty. This is in the richest nation on earth. Apart from western Europe, the continental US and Japan/Korea the situation for internet isn't exactly stable. These are emerging markets though, not complete backwaters. Some of these consumers are just coming on tap for gaming and being excluded but others are long-time gamers too.

That's just problems on YOUR end. If for whatever the Microsoft severs won't connect to you it's still the same result. Having to continually verify possibly hundreds of millions of connections all over the globe on a daily basis and not have faults is almost impossible. And those faults will now affect your offline gaming too.

There is also the issue of cyber attack. Microsoft's severs will now be a HUGE target for groups who believe in information freedom

Overall there is a lot that could go wrong.

I have a great connection. But thats not the point. My problem is this . i want to play ..cant the servers are down for service ..or someone is screwing with them.Now i have a big black brick in my living room, and guess what still bored and want to play .I dont want to rely on someone else for my single play.And for the whole sharing thing? Yea i cant wait for ppl to call up their "friends",,going ..stop playing (X-name)game i want to play it .

When the Xbox One launches I bet Microsoft will reveal that the connect once every 24 hours requirement is only temporary. Does anyone remember Assassin's Creed 2's DRM?

I have found it depends on the connection. Wired or Wifi. What is the wifi like with the xbone?

I'm rocking 111mb down and 7mbps up over here.

Step it up, OP.

Jago1130:
Are people's internet connections really that bad, or does mine just rock?

My only option for internet is a wireless modem that connects to last generations network service.
I live in a bad place for wireless reception so I usually have to restart my modem 5+ times day.

It's really that bad.

For me it's not about my internet connection, my own is fast and stable.
It's simply that it's always on DRM , it's phoning home and it's elitist.
And unless it's written in Major Nelson's blood. I wont trust that the server's wont go down for good one day and I lose access to my games collection.

I don't think in practice that many ppl in the developed world will have problems with it.
But I still don't like it. And MS did an amazingly bad job with the PR spin.

My Internet connection is fantastic, but I don't want a console that will make me jump through hoops so I'm not getting an Xbox one regardless

Dude, our internet connection wasn't the best, but for what needed to be done, it was more than enough.

Then the smartphones and touch devices came to our home and my internet speed has decreased by 30%.

That's why I do a lot of heavy lifting in the morning and late night. If things keep getting this bad, I might have to pay a little more extra just to have the speed I had before all these always-online devices completely stole my internet speed.

In the now infamous battle on twitter; Janesville, WI was mentioned.
What they failed to mention is that that is one of the places with GOOD internet. The town I live in is barely unincorporated. While I have half way decent internet compared to where I used to live in the countryside (basically wifi through a satellite dish that would disconnect me from a party every 2 seconds if it was barely windy), I'd say that a majority of us are all screwed on that front. Not to mention that some people can't afford internet.

William Ossiss:
What they failed to mention is that that is one of the places with GOOD internet. The town I live in is barely unincorporated. While I have half way decent internet compared to where I used to live in the countryside (basically wifi through a satellite dish that would disconnect me from a party every 2 seconds if it was barely windy), I'd say that a majority of us are all screwed on that front. Not to mention that some people can't afford internet.

Well if you can't afford internet, then you have bigger problems than deciding to buy an Xbox One or PS4.

Baldr:

William Ossiss:

Well if you can't afford internet, then you have bigger problems than deciding to buy an Xbox One or PS4.

So.. that is your ONLY take away from that?
There are things called tax times and tax rebates; deciding to buy their child something awesome they want and have been hearing about at school... Only to find out that since they have no internet, they can't use this system.

My internet runs alright for the most part, but whenever one of my roommates goes on their computers, it tanks. Even when they're not on, it frequently crashes, stays disconnected (frequently staying disconnected after rebooting several times), or slows up significantly. And I live in Brooklyn! You'd think that getting a good connection here wouldn't be a problem.

And then there's the whole I don't agree with most of the things that Microsoft is forcing upon you if you get the XBone.

My internet is pretty good. It has hiccups and such every once in awhile (generally weeks or months apart) but that still doesn't make the Xbone's online requirement okay.

Yes, I own games that I can't play if my internet is down. But that's one or two games out of my whole library. Whereas with the Xbone, all of a sudden I would be locked out of EVERY GAME, even the single player ones. It's the difference between console DRM and game DRM.

Not to mention I find it pretty easy to come up with any number of common scenarios where a person's internet would then prevent them from playing any games. When I lived in residence during university you couldn't get an internet connection in the living room of my apartment style dorm. The free internet from the university only worked when hardwired in in the bedrooms.

Now, I'm sure like all other examples given in this thread, OP will just respond that he doesn't care or that a person should suck it up. But, seriously OP, you asked people why the online issue was affecting people's choices to purchase an Xbone or not. It doesn't matter if that's a valid reason to you or not, as long as it's a valid concern for the person giving it. If you're fine with everything, and will maybe being locked out of your games for period of time, awesome! Go ahead and buy the Xbone and party on. But stop acting like a reason someone else gives has to be deemed valid by you before their concern is legit.

William Ossiss:

Baldr:

William Ossiss:

So.. that is your ONLY take away from that?
There are things called tax times and tax rebates; deciding to buy their child something awesome they want and have been hearing about at school... Only to find out that since they have no internet, they can't use this system.

I stand by my statement. Your doing your children a disservice by choose a luxury item over something that has almost become a necessity in the modern world.

The area I'm currently living in has been slowly dying since before I was born. It's no slum or ghetto, but a well maintained and updated infrastructure it does not have. Also, people in the area that aren't on the same grid as a hospitable tend to lose access to things like internet after a hurricane.

Look at it from the other side. What is gained by requiring connection every 24 hours? Online features are fine, but what does the DRM do besides inconvenience in some degree? Even if the cost is negligible, no one, customer, publisher or MS, is getting anything out of the deal. This completely pointless action erodes trust, because it's not even greed, it's pure incompetence.

Jago1130:
Chief among all the moaning about the Xbone, (and one of few complaints based mostly in fact) is that it requires a connection every 24 hours.

Are people's internet connections really that bad, or does mine just rock?

lol.

The online requirement for xbone and all of the other extra requirements Xbone comes with isn't such a hassle when you think about it. But most people are pissed off because of the concept of new unnecessary requirements that almost only benefits microsoft.

By not supporting it and speaking against it we, the consumers are basically saying ''No, you don't get to do that. We are your consumers and we can easily choose other products than yours if they prove even just a bit favorable than yours. Without us you are nothing and we won't let you push your limits.''

Xbone has set the scales in PS4's favor. I won't buy an inferior product just because of brand loyalty.

Which is one of the stupidest concepts i know of.

I've gotta ask, because I don't think I've heard a reasonable explanation yet:
Other than purely online games (which do not provide this support because it gives hackers better tools to work with and can result in customer confusion), where is an "Always On" connection required to play any game advantageous to a user? I assume there's something I'm not understanding, because I haven't been able to figure out why removing offline components is a consumer advantage in any setting. Now, I get why content providers want it, but can someone explain why a user would want it?

Thanks.

I'll be starting BCT and active-duty after that in the Army. I'll be moving around a lot so internet connection is guarenteed everywhere I might be stationed at. If the PS4 had the same restrictions as the Xbox One does, than I'd just stick with handhelds (3DS/Vita) and the Wii U until my service is over. Thankfully, they don't so PS4 it is.

I live in the middle of the city with access to high speed internet... but I can drive for 15 to 20 minutes to a friends house where the best internet that's even OFFERED in their area is DSL.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked