"We are watching you act" proposed in congress (anti-kinect bill)

http://www.warpzoned.com/2013/06/congressmen-propose-we-are-watching-you-act-an-anti-kinect-bill/

"Microsoft had a tough time selling gamers on the Xbox One and its (almost) always-on Kinect sensor during last week's E3 Expo. This week, a pair of US Representatives want to block the monitoring features of the next-generation console before it's even released.

Rep. Mike Capuano (D-MA) and Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) introduced the "We Are Watching You Act" last week in order to protect the privacy of consumers from DVR boxes (or similar devices) that include built-in cameras and microphones. Verizon, who provides the popular FiOS service, filed a patent application for a DVR with video and audio monitoring capabilities in 2012. But, at this point, it's unknown if they have such a DVR in development. So for now, the "We Are Watching You Act" is strictly an anti-Xbox One bill as the system's Kinect sensor is the only device that meets the qualifications of the bill.

The "We Are Watching You Act" would prohibit companies from marketing this kind of monitoring DVR (or Kinect sensor) without first offering consumers the chance to opt-in to the service. The DVR/Kinect operator must also "provide specific details on how collected information will be used and who will have access to the data." If you do chose to opt-in, when the device is recording it will display "WE ARE WATCHING YOU" in a font "large enough to be readable from a distance."

While that kind of message might kill the immersive feel of a round of Killer Instinct, it might help with Watch Dogs.

And here's where it gets messy. The bill would require manufacturers who sell devices that monitor consumers to create a similar device, without monitoring capability, and offer that as well, thus creating two tiers of Xbox One hardware. Rep. Capuano's statement, and the full text of the bill, can be found at his official website."

Thought number one: "Is this The Onion? Wait ... it's not?"

Thought number two: What a bunch of hypocritical ...

Thought number three: Lolmicrosoft

Thought number four: But seriously, how is it that there are people in the government against this?

It won't go anywhere, but it is a nice gesture.

Well at least a fraction of the population isn't completely blind.

But no this will never pass, people don't even realize what heavenly options this opens up to governments for the most excessive population monitoring ever possible, and the best part is they got victims are paying for it.

Ronack:
The "We Are Watching You Act" would prohibit companies from marketing this kind of monitoring DVR (or Kinect sensor) without first offering consumers the chance to opt-in to the service.

Good.

Ronack:
The DVR/Kinect operator must also "provide specific details on how collected information will be used and who will have access to the data."

Good.

Ronack:
If you do chose to opt-in, when the device is recording it will display "WE ARE WATCHING YOU" in a font "large enough to be readable from a distance."

That's a tad overkill.

Ronack:
And here's where it gets messy. The bill would require manufacturers who sell devices that monitor consumers to create a similar device, without monitoring capability, and offer that as well, thus creating two tiers of Xbox One hardware. Rep. Capuano's statement, and the full text of the bill, can be found at his official website."

That's kinda unnecessary when you can just have a toggle in preferences to switch it on or off.

---

It's a hell of a lot better then a lot of other bills that have gotten passed. I'm kinda hoping it will go through, probably won't happen though.

The PDF for the bill is a 404 not found, tsk tsk.

Ronack:
If you do chose to opt-in, when the device is recording it will display "WE ARE WATCHING YOU" in a font "large enough to be readable from a distance."

As if it wasn't Orwellian enough already.

But the bill will probably never pass. And even if it did, it'd likely get overturned in court by some pro-business judge.

Ha some sense after all. Didn't expect this in the us though

I hope it does get passed... but, there goes that hopeful optimism again.

Lol US government: Spying on citizens?! That's my job!!

captcha:lie low. Good idea, captcha.

...Wow...Someone...Anyone please E-mail this to Microsoft.
Just when the US Government, one of the most pro-corporation in human history, doesn't agree with you fucking over consumers, you KNOW that you fucked up big time.

Ronack:
(almost) always-on

It's not always on if it doesn't need to be on
Are people even finding it an problem? I mean, if you can turn it off like MS said, then how can it even be an issue? If you feel it's infringing on you... Turn it off.

Right. The government that spies on everyone on the planet will do something about the Kinect. Get real.

It won't get passed. Their concerns are understandable, but from the "WE'RE WATCHING YOU" text and the whole thing about manufacturer having to make two models stuff that it's clear they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It isn't the manufacturer that makes the call as to what works for the x-bone and what doesn't, it's how the software in the x-bone is configured that makes all that stuff tick. So even if they manufactured dummy cameras like the bill says, that doesn't mean they will work. And the text on the screen is just childish. That'd be like requiring cell phone software programmers to make it to where every time you open your phone, text comes up that says "BE SURE TO NOT BUTT DIAL YOUR GIRLFRIEND WHILE YOU'RE WITH ANOTHER WOMAN."

Adam Jensen:
Right. The government that spies on everyone on the planet will do something about the Kinect. Get real.

Think about it though.
Think about the fact that the Xbone is SOOOO bad that it caused this hypocritical move.
I mean, when was the last time that a government body attempted to pass a law for the sole purpose of preventing the sale of a games console.

I know about the spying and all, but jesus, the fact this is even happening...

Tom_green_day:
Are people even finding it an problem? I mean, if you can turn it off like MS said, then how can it even be an issue? If you feel it's infringing on you... Turn it off.

But from what I understand, it's still voice activated even when it's off. Sure you can shut it off with the command "Xbox Off," but then later it might come on when you're talking to someone about whether or not you should turn the "Xbox On."

Or an even easier solution: Just let people not use the fucking thing if they don't want to. I remember the good old days when if you didn't want to use a peripheral feature like the EyeToy or a special steering wheel, you just didn't plug it in.

I don't think we need giant text, that's kinda obnoxious.

A simple red light would be fine. Maybe a shutter over the camera and when we opt out it "shuts" it's "eye"?

Lilani:
It won't get passed. Their concerns are understandable, but from the "WE'RE WATCHING YOU" text and the whole thing about manufacturer having to make two models stuff that it's clear they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It isn't the manufacturer that makes the call as to what works for the x-bone and what doesn't, it's how the software in the x-bone is configured that makes all that stuff tick. So even if they manufactured dummy cameras like the bill says, that doesn't mean they will work. And the text on the screen is just childish. That'd be like requiring cell phone software programmers to make it to where every time you open your phone, text comes up that says "BE SURE TO NOT BUTT DIAL YOUR GIRLFRIEND WHILE YOU'RE WITH ANOTHER WOMAN."

While the fact it won't get passed is a forgone conclusion, as I said to Jensen, The fact that 2 Congressmen are trying to pass a bill to stop the Xbone speaks VOLUMES about how bad that system is.

I get if I'm sounding excited, but I mean, who thought the backlash would be THIS bad?

Diablo1099:
While the fact it won't get passed is a forgone conclusion, as I said to Jensen, The fact that 2 Congressmen are trying to pass a bill to stop the Xbone speaks VOLUMES about how bad that system is.

I get if I'm sounding excited, but I mean, who thought the backlash would be THIS bad?

I think you're reading too much into this. This isn't about two politicians who want to pick a fight with a video game console. This is about two politicians who are cashing in on the NSA scandal and earning brownie points by trying to make themselves out to be whistle blowers and purveyors of freedom and privacy.

Lilani:
I think you're reading too much into this. This isn't about two politicians who want to pick a fight with a video game console. This is about two politicians who are cashing in on the NSA scandal and earning brownie points by trying to make themselves out to be whistle blowers and purveyors of freedom and privacy.

...Guess that does make a bit more sense....

Sorry, just I've been watching this console since reveal and I'm just mindfucked over the idea that Xbone even exists.
This has been a month long train crash so far so when I came here and saw the title...

Well, thanks for your time.

Diablo1099:
...Guess that does make a bit more sense....

Sorry, just I've been watching this console since reveal and I'm just mindfucked over the idea that Xbone even exists.
This has been a month long train crash so far so when I came here and saw the title...

Well, thanks for your time.

Don't get me wrong, the x-bone is a big stinker and I think Microsoft has managed to marginalize enough customers that even if it's not a failure they certainly aren't going to be much of a contender this generation. It's just that politicians have always used games as vehicles, just as they use most other issues people feel strongly about ;-)

Tom_green_day:

Ronack:
(almost) always-on

The only way to turn it off is to turn the console off ...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked