Signs that Half-Life 3 may actually exist after all.

A thread on valvetime.net has indicated that Half-Life 3 may exist. The site proports to show Valve e-mailing lists, which suggest the presence of Dev teams for Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2 and, crucially, the long-awaited Half-Life 3/Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

My thoughts? Welp, even if this is genuine, it doesn't show much beyond the fact that these games are, in fact, still alive[1], and offers nothing more encouraging, such as possible release schedules. However, having said that, as soon as I saw this, I immediately dropped to my knees before my life-size cut-out of our Holy Lord and Master GABEN[2] and began screaming something to the effect of "Take my money, O great and all-knowing master of video games!", so maybe I'm a little excited in spite of myself. But what are your thoughts? Does this look legit and hopeful? Or is it another cruel, cruel ruse?

CAPTCHA: cliff-hanger. How appropriate.

[1] No. Don't even go there.
[2] Registered Trademark

Do people honestly still give a shit? I'm not really a Half-Life fan so I'm not the guy to talk to but if anyone has seriously been waiting... what now, 6, 7 years? However long for it I feel sorry for them.

First of all everyone was reminded about the Mass Effect 3 ending thanks to that news article and now this thread! What's next? Another thread about the friendzone and feminism??

I'm anticipating that the next Half Life 3 will be released when the Steam Box is out.

What I havent even finished episode 2 yet and already they are throwing out episode 3 jesus valve give your games some breathing room I hate this factory line bullshit they always pull.

Oh joking obviously honestly though I dont care I am not a huge half life or valve fan if it comes out I may get it but its hardly something I am anticipating. Also are they doing a left for dead 3? I am not sure how that will go down L4D 2 killed the series for everyone I know.

Meh.

Those mailing lists could be ancient.

I'm not going to bother getting excited by anything that isn't an actual announcement.

Half life 2, and the two episodes were amazing games to play. Big Fan. Just the thought of a Half life 3 sequel..makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end with excitement. Alyx Vance needs her revenge. It's got to happen.

hazabaza1:
Do people honestly still give a shit? I'm not really a Half-Life fan so I'm not the guy to talk to but if anyone has seriously been waiting... what now, 6, 7 years? However long for it I feel sorry for them.

I loved HL1 and 2, some of the best games I've ever played, but I most definitely am not holding my breath for a HL3. These threads are generally funny though because of the false hope they create. Valve will make HL3 when they are damn well ready and have a new system to show off, don't hold your breath for it any time soon.

Although, waiting 6-7 years for a sequel in gaming terms really isn't that long (unless you are talking about CoD or Battlefield). Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 was 13 years. Starcraft to Starcraft 2 was 12 years. System Shock 2 to Bioshock was 8 years. Bioshock to Bioshock Inifinite was 5 years. Deus Ex to Deus Ex Human Revolution was 11 years (yeah there was Deus Ex sequel in there, but it came out really soon after the first). Planetside to Planetside 2 was 9 years, I can go on.

Yes HL2 came out 8 years ago, but in reality that isn't that long ago when it comes to great sequels for great franchises. Most people forget this because of the last generation of gaming that pumped out sequels of varying quality for games every 6-12 months.

hazabaza1:

Of course people still give a shit? Why wouldn't we? Time merely builds up suspense and expectation. And 5 years really isn't that long when you come down to it. Half Life 2 came out 6 years after it's predecessor. Team Fortress 2 took 11, many games have taken significantly longer than even that.

Dammit, why do you people have to do stuff like this to get me excited, not getting a new half-life is frustrating enough without rumors and speculation floating around.

hazabaza1:

Of course they do, there was a similar gap between the first and the second.

As for HL3 itself, is anyone really surprised they are working on it? We know they are working on their new engine, seems fairly obvious that HL3 would be on of their flagship titles on it.

People still care. Not me personally. I didn't like the first game at all, so didn't bother with the second which, besides that special gun, looked like your typical brown and grey FPS. But apparently there are guys out there absolutely fanatical about this game.

I guess the question is, if there is a HL3, will it end up being just like the previous games i.e. slower paced, more emphasis on multiplayer, regenerating health, 2 guns max at a time; or would it play more like the old skool FPS of the 90's?

Honestly I think valve would be better to never release it, assuming it does exist and wasnt scrapped awhile ago. From where Im standing I see HL3 as another Duke nukem forever. Fans wait for years (years where fans can build it up in their minds about how awesome it will be!) for this title and then when it finally comes out the expectations are impossible to meet. I really do think that the game is going to bomb no matter how good it actually is just because fans have built it up to be much more amazing then it'll turn out to be.

I guess we will see if the day ever comes but as an outsider whos never played 2 and didnt like 1 I continue to be amazed at how people are willing to jump through hoops looking for clues of HL3's existence.

hazabaza1:

Plenty of other games to play in the meantime. It's not like we're sitting on the edge of our seats holding our breath until our faces turn blue. Not to mention valve has been involved with the development of several other IP's and other titles since HL2 was released, I'm not sure why they gave up on episodic releases the way they did, but hey plans change.

Just because it's been a long time doesn't mean that fans of the series won't be excited when the next iteration comes out. Every half-life game has been masterfully crafted and has played a key role in changing the face of the FPS genre. There's really no reason to not be excited for it. Half-Life 3 will come out, but I wouldn't take these screen shots, which could very easily be fraudulent, as any sign that it will be coming out soon.

Terramax:
People still care. Not me personally. I didn't like the first game at all, so didn't bother with the second which, besides that special gun, looked like your typical brown and grey FPS. But apparently there are guys out there absolutely fanatical about this game.

I guess the question is, if there is a HL3, will it end up being just like the previous games i.e. slower paced, more emphasis on multiplayer, regenerating health, 2 guns max at a time; or would it play more like the old skool FPS of the 90's?

Eh, both half-life 1 and 2 came out before "typical brown and grey FPS" was a thing (not that it is a typical brown fps by any means). Unfortunately, FPS titles tend not to age well. The reason for this is because they rely heavily on immersion to make a statement, and this is hard to achieve when you're attention is constantly being drawn to graphical imperfections caused by technology limitations of their time. Half-life 2 actually looks remarkably good considering it came out in 2005, but by today's standards, it's ugly. Not to mention, many modern FPS were influenced heavily by elements of half-life 2. For instance, realistic physics weren't really a thing in games prior to hl2, yes havok engine existed and had been utilized a few times, but nothing to the extent that half-life 2 managed it. The gravity gun essentially made gamers crap their pants.

Sadly FPS tend to be games which are remembered fondly by gamers of generations past, and to be scoffed at by gaming youth. It's the circle of life.

Damn it...don't hold your breath.

When it comes out it comes out, if it doesn't...then the Valve obviously doesn't think it matters.

:/

hazabaza1:

I happen to be a very patient person.

Yeah I want it to come out, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. Although everything about the ending led me to believe there would be another chapter...atleast.

Rose and Thorn:

hazabaza1:

I happen to be a very patient person.

Yeah I want it to come out, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. Although everything about the ending led me to believe there would be another chapter...atleast.

Yes, it's odd that they did a 180 on the episodic releases. From what I recall, they intended there to be 3 episodes past the original title, but as they focused their attention on other IP's (l4d, portal, tf2) I imagine their top talent got pulled off episode 3. Then after a significantly long time had passed, they realized it would be unacceptable to have taken so long just to release the next episode and decided to go for broke with a whole new game.

well I'd like to see it but there's no way it's going to live up to all the anticipation after so long.

I more excited for Wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub_Ewewewewewewew_Gagagagaga, Yo dawg, and Gayben than Half-Life 3.

Don't get your hopes up, not something that you'll EVER be sure of till they drop a mysterious update to their current games that requires a lot of figuring out and possibly listening to radios, Portal 2 etc.

In truth, this is probably just another dead end. HL3 is probably on the shelf right now do to lack of interest among Valve staff, as per their weird company design. These emails are probably just the burblings of what may one day become a full project, but isn't quite yet.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked