Is the Wii U really outclassed?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

AzrealMaximillion:
Can we have this argument when the PS4 and Xbone specs are out? I mean this is getting a little sad having to compare the Wii U to previous gen consoles here...

They already are out. One of the posts on the first page lists the specs of the PS4 and the Xbox One with sources backing it.

gmaverick019:

100% this, it's almost shocking how much the Nintendo defense force has been morphing into action lately, the nintenzord has made an appearance every single day it seems like.

If I stick you with a wand, will you grow to tremendous size and do battle with the combined forces of Nintenzord?

The wiiU has shown me next to nothing that I'd ever be interested in, from the console design to its software to the games itself, but that doesn't mean it won't do very well nor that the games it IS trying to sell won't appeal to plenty of people.

This is more my thing. Nothing really interests me thus far, except Super Mario, and that's not enough to get me to buy it. It doesn't mean I hate Nintendo, or want it to fail, or hate the Wii U...I just think it's technology I don't want and games that don't do anything for me. If it did have titles I wanted, you can bet your ass I would buy it no matter how outclassed.

Also, contrast this to the Xbone. I do actually hate the Xbone. Well, as much as I can hate a piece of hardware.

Which isn't much. But it's more than I "hate" Nintendo or the Wii U.

Neronium:

AzrealMaximillion:
Can we have this argument when the PS4 and Xbone specs are out? I mean this is getting a little sad having to compare the Wii U to previous gen consoles here...

They already are out. One of the posts on the first page lists the specs of the PS4 and the Xbox One with sources backing it.

Thanks for the info.

OP: This is like, the 5th thread we've seen about the Wii Ubeing outclassed by previous tech. If you don't believe that console power is everything then you should not have to worry about people saying the WiiU is outclassed by said previous tech.

But at the same time, the holiday season is coming soon, and arguments like this are going to be very pointless to have. With the specs of the other consoles out now, there's next to no point. The Wii U is outclassed in terms of technical power by the Xbone and PS4.

Comparing the WiiU with the PS3 and 360 just looks like sour grapes now.

Zachary Amaranth:

gmaverick019:

100% this, it's almost shocking how much the Nintendo defense force has been morphing into action lately, the nintenzord has made an appearance every single day it seems like.

If I stick you with a wand, will you grow to tremendous size and do battle with the combined forces of Nintenzord?

Oh I would, just so I could see this:

I would be amused being on the tail end of that power boost. plus walking around in cardboard cities smashing shit to bits sounds like a decent bit of fun.

lulzy enough, if you have seen the "forever red" episode of power rangers, my avatar showed up in that episode as the bad guy and took control of lord zed's dragon/megazord, so it has "happened" in a sense.

The wiiU has shown me next to nothing that I'd ever be interested in, from the console design to its software to the games itself, but that doesn't mean it won't do very well nor that the games it IS trying to sell won't appeal to plenty of people.

This is more my thing. Nothing really interests me thus far, except Super Mario, and that's not enough to get me to buy it. It doesn't mean I hate Nintendo, or want it to fail, or hate the Wii U...I just think it's technology I don't want and games that don't do anything for me. If it did have titles I wanted, you can bet your ass I would buy it no matter how outclassed.

Also, contrast this to the Xbone. I do actually hate the Xbone. Well, as much as I can hate a piece of hardware.

Which isn't much. But it's more than I "hate" Nintendo or the Wii U.

also concur to this, down the line if by some means the wiiU has some exclusives that do "Wow" me and work well with the built in screen (not a requirement, but I'd prefer it if that damn thing was useful, for loot management or something) I'd consider getting it in a heartbeat, but that xbone...*sneers*

Forlong:
This has been brought up on a lot of threads. People say that it isn't really next gen because it is significantly outclassed. As a fan of Mythbusters, I can't just sit by and let this ignorance continue.

Console specs have three main components: CPU, GPU, and RAM. I'm going to look at all three on the Wii U and compare them to the competition.

Central Processing Unit
This is exactly what it sounds like. Each console of this generation has multicore CPUs, which are better at multitasking.
Wii U: Tri-core @ 1.24 GHz
PS4: 2 Quad-cores @ 1.6 GHz
Xbox One: Octa-core (speed undisclosed)
The PS4, which is the most powerful of these consoles, isn't even 30% faster than the Wii U. The Wii U is certainly less powerful, but not outclassed.

Uh, number of cores count dude. That PS4 quad core has more than three times the power, just based off numbers (there are other factors, liek cache size, speed of interface with other hardware components, instruction set). The Power architecture will probably close the gap (x86 sacrifices a lot in favor of backwards compatibility), but not nearly that much.

That said, aside from less RAM, I actually *like* that the WiiU has less power. More graphics power means more expensive assets, more expensive assets means less assets. Fancy graphics is spectacle if used for the sake of fancy graphics, and the games industry seems to just barely be waking up to what can be done in terms of design and animation quality (not including cutscenes, which are also spectacle), rather than just having more polygons/higher resolution textures.

@Requia

That's basically what I was getting at earlier; more power is useless if the people who have it don't utilize it properly. The AAA scene (and a LOT of the current generation of devs in general) is filled with a bunch of idiots who don't know what the hell to DO. They cry that they need extra power for new and innovative ideas, but then really don't introduce anything that couldn't have been done on previous hardware. Instead of going for depth and complexity they just wallow in spectacle.

Fact of the matter is this: computers AREN'T going to get much more powerful no matter how many years pass. The biggest jumps happened AGES ago and we're not going to get those again. You're just going to see people wasting effort for far smaller payoff. It's how things work

gmaverick019:

I would be amused being on the tail end of that power boost. plus walking around in cardboard cities smashing shit to bits sounds like a decent bit of fun.

It does look fun. Though I've always been impressed by the people doing martial arts in rubber suits.

lulzy enough, if you have seen the "forever red" episode of power rangers, my avatar showed up in that episode as the bad guy and took control of lord zed's dragon/megazord, so it has "happened" in a sense.

I have, but I didn't put it together until you mentioned it. Also, some megazord. It choked on a single Red Ranger. Serpentera is the GW Bush of Zords.

also concur to this, down the line if by some means the wiiU has some exclusives that do "Wow" me and work well with the built in screen (not a requirement, but I'd prefer it if that damn thing was useful, for loot management or something) I'd consider getting it in a heartbeat, but that xbone...*sneers*

Yeah, Nintendo just needs to put something interesting on their console for me to buy it. Microsoft...Well, they'd have to change a lot more than their online policy to get me onboard. And THEN they'd need games I want. I probably won't even get a PS4, having already invested in upgrading my PC, but I don't preclude a console if they get some stuff I want.

Zachary Amaranth:

gmaverick019:

It does look fun. Though I've always been impressed by the people doing martial arts in rubber suits.

Yeah, Nintendo just needs to put something interesting on their console for me to buy it. Microsoft...Well, they'd have to change a lot more than their online policy to get me onboard. And THEN they'd need games I want. I probably won't even get a PS4, having already invested in upgrading my PC, but I don't preclude a console if they get some stuff I want.

ah yes serpentera, for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of it.. *holds head in shame having seen every power ranger episode to date*

that HARDLY sounds like rubber to me, sounds more like a aluminum-unobtainium smelting combination to me, you highly underestimate the power of my underlings XD

I also just obtained a couple of upgrades for my rig, going to be installing them within the week, so I am in the same boat on getting a console.

Forlong:
As a fan of Mythbusters, I can't just sit by and let this ignorance continue.

I can't help but note that, despite the shortcuts they take in both technology and reasoning, that the Mythbusters would probably take the time to actually properly frame the comparison or understand the terms they were talking about. It's just so...Odd watching someone proclaim to strike down ignorance with comparisons that have been so routinely debunked.

Confidingtripod:
I'm no Nintendo hater but I still feel the WiiU wont reach its full potential with a Nintendo game, like it or not they are drawn to simple mechanics and story's that kids will be able to pick up easily but a real console tester would need something a bit more detailed to make the processor chug

I don't know where you'd get that idea. On the Wii, Mario galaxy on the whole vastly outdoes most other games on the system in graphical terms.

Anyway, as to the question at hand...

Eh. The thing is, if you look at the Wii, it's about 20 times less powerful than the 360 and PS3 were.

Best estimates of the gap between the Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U suggest the difference in this case is only 3-6 times the performance at most.

Now, if you look at PC's, back in the mid-90's the gap between the fastest and slowest PC's typically found was only about 10x, and that's not that difficult to work around.

The gap for modern pc's is closer to 100x faster for the high end systems, which IS a big headache.

I'd say the Wii U is definitely underpowered in an absolute sense, but the gap is pretty small.
And the architecture (especially the graphics architecture) is fairly similar among all 3 systems.

Let's just say, 3-6 times as much power isn't enough to be a major concern from a technical point of view.
It's a pretty small gap in fact, compared to the situation the Wii was in...

doomed89:
[quote="Guffe" post="9.819900.19779017"]There's no use in trying to prove that the WiiU is as good in hardware as the others.
I play the games because I enjoy them, so what if the graphics aren't the most realistic? So what if the graphics card is half the thing in the Playstation? I buy a game to "escape reality" and I play games I find fun and I get enjoyment out of.
Nintendo has (almost) never been up there in hardware with the other consoles, but I find their games good and hence I buy and play them and stick to their consoles. Stop trying to make the WiiU look good hardware wise, it's the games that matter!

And exactly what games does the wiiU have? quote]

Well let's see...
I've had my WiiU for maybe 5 to 6 months now and these are the games I've played on the console, played I mean put a minimum of 20 hours into (most log into 50+)

ZombiU, DarksidersII, Batman Arkham City, NintendoLand, FIFA13
and sicne the WiiU is able to play Wii games and I no longer own a Wii, I've played on my WiiU
TheLastStory, Pandoras Tower, Xenoblade Xronichles, Skyward Sword, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Star Wars The Force Unleashed II and I guess a few more Wii games. I don't know about you but for me that's a lot of gaming time!

So the WiiU doesn't have games? I'm considering getting Assassins Creed 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect...

Yes I know these are all games that people have been playing on their xbox360 and PS3 but I didn't have either of these, besides the games I know I'll get in the close future or if the release dates are somewhat accurate during next year: Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, WindWaker, The next Zelda instalment, DonkeyKong, SmashBros, MarioKart, Assassins Creed 4, Bayonetta2?, and most likely some release I've missed and interesting games found on in the Nintendo store for purcahse.

And saying they don't have any third party support? I think you've been reading too many news on this site with all the third party devs going "we won't support the WiiU", the truth? most of them have said they sit back and be ready to port if/when the WiiU console starts to sell and when they know what costs and manpower it takes to port games from PS4 and XboxOne to WiiU. Many PS3 and Xbox360 era games apparently didn't have any port trouble.

And besides it seemed like you quoted me just out of some sort of despise against Nintendo. What reason did you have to think that I would be lying about enjoying games on my own console? I said in my original post that I play a certain console I enjoy games on and I've enjoyed all of those in my list above.

What happens in the future no one knows but In maybe a year we can say a little more about the games on each console and third party support on the WiiU. The "new generation" hasn't even started yet and everyone are already going berserk over the two other consoles. Just chill the fuck down and enjoying gaming!

Guffe:

doomed89:
[quote="Guffe" post="9.819900.19779017"]There's no use in trying to prove that the WiiU is as good in hardware as the others.
I play the games because I enjoy them, so what if the graphics aren't the most realistic? So what if the graphics card is half the thing in the Playstation? I buy a game to "escape reality" and I play games I find fun and I get enjoyment out of.
Nintendo has (almost) never been up there in hardware with the other consoles, but I find their games good and hence I buy and play them and stick to their consoles. Stop trying to make the WiiU look good hardware wise, it's the games that matter!

And exactly what games does the wiiU have? [quote]

Well let's see...
I've had my WiiU for maybe 5 to 6 months now and these are the games I've played on the console, played I mean put a minimum of 20 hours into (most log into 50+)

and sicne the WiiU is able to play Wii games and I no longer own a Wii, I've played on my WiiU
TheLastStory, Pandoras Tower, Xenoblade Xronichles, Skyward Sword, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Star Wars The Force Unleashed II and I guess a few more Wii games. I don't know about you but for me that's a lot of gaming time!

So the WiiU doesn't have games? I'm considering getting Assassins Creed 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect...

Yes I know these are all games that people have been playing on their xbox360 and PS3 but I didn't have either of these, besides the games I know I'll get in the close future or if the release dates are somewhat accurate during next year: Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, WindWaker, The next Zelda instalment, DonkeyKong, SmashBros, MarioKart, Assassins Creed 4, Bayonetta2?, and most likely some release I've missed and interesting games found on in the Nintendo store for purcahse.

And saying they don't have any third party support? I think you've been reading too many news on this site with all the third party devs going "we won't support the WiiU", the truth? most of them have said they sit back and be ready to port if/when the WiiU console starts to sell and when they know what costs and manpower it takes to port games from PS4 and XboxOne to WiiU. Many PS3 and Xbox360 era games apparently didn't have any port trouble.

And besides it seemed like you quoted me just out of some sort of despise against Nintendo. What reason did you have to think that I would be lying about enjoying games on my own console? I said in my original post that I play a certain console I enjoy games on and I've enjoyed all of those in my list above.

What happens in the future no one knows but In maybe a year we can say a little more about the games on each console and third party support on the WiiU. The "new generation" hasn't even started yet and everyone are already going berserk over the two other consoles. Just chill the fuck down and enjoying gaming!

quote="Guffe" post="9.819900.19781243"]

doomed89:

Guffe:
There's no use in trying to prove that the WiiU is as good in hardware as the others.

And exactly what games does the wiiU have?
Well let's see...

Guffe:

doomed89:

Guffe:
There's no use in trying to prove that the WiiU is as good in hardware as the others.

And exactly what games does the wiiU have?
Well let's see...

Yes it is. However the processing power generally isnt the reason why people buy certain consoles. If they were the PS2 wouldnt have been arguably the most successful console in history. What matters is the games. If a console has a great games library people will buy it, if it doesnt people wont buy it. Thats pretty much all there is to it

The problem with the WiiU is the same problem it had at launch. It barely has any games for it and only a few attractive ones coming out in the future

Do not be foolish enough to under estimate Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are not video game companies they just make video games/consoles. Nintendo is a video game company which can easily be seen if you factor in which companiess have provided the most innovation to the industry. Every Nintendo console is ahead of the curb even when not obviously apparent. I remember when the Wii first came out and every body thought motion controls were useless. Now every console has it. Each of tier consoles change the methods of next gen development the same. Sony and Microsoft just beef up stuff. That said Nintendo sees the 1k lbs gorilla in the room and that is the smart phone. This may be the last generation of set top consoles. I have a note 2 with a 1.6ghz quad core processor which will in the span of months no longer be a top tier phone in terms of processing and boy you'd be amazed at the graphic quality of some games not to even mention the quality of iPhone/iPad games. These phones all connect to your Tv in HD through cables or wirelessly as a console and hardcore gamers can add wireless Bluetooth controllers. And let us not forget cloud gaming which can give Access potentially to god knows how much computing power. Why as a gamer would i buy a console when i can use my all powerful smart phone.The video game console industry is on its last legs lord help then when quad core phones become the norm. Nintendo is positioning it self to weather the impending storm Microsoft sees it as well that's why they are moving towards an entertainment console and not gaming console. The company that may fare the worst when the dust is settled is ps4. Interestingly enough the Wii U's controller seem to resemble a certain device used for making calls.

shrekfan246:
and the less we talk about Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, the better.

Why? The actual vehicle building in it was really awesome. Playing around in the lobby online is fun too.

But yeah, I will agree that the rest of the game was meh.

It's never been about the power to me, it's about how great the games are. Once it has a decent library it will be fine.

gmaverick019:

ah yes serpentera, for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of it.. *holds head in shame having seen every power ranger episode to date*

To be fair, it wasn't long ago I first saw "Forever Red," so it's fairly fresh in my mind. I'd actually forgotten about the thing entirely until that point. The only specific memory I have of Serpentera otherwise is it running out of fuel in the first place.

that HARDLY sounds like rubber to me, sounds more like a aluminum-unobtainium smelting combination to me, you highly underestimate the power of my underlings XD

Well, not THOSE ones...

I also just obtained a couple of upgrades for my rig, going to be installing them within the week, so I am in the same boat on getting a console.

Yeah, I just need to stop being lazy about it. I've got a few games in my Steam library I can't run right now that it'll be cool to finally play.

And in my defense, they were part of bundles, usually Humble Bundles, so it's not like I went out of my way and bought games I couldn't play or anything. But hey, if they come with the games I can play, and I know I can play them in the future....Why the hell not?

sprime01:
I remember when the Wii first came out and every body thought motion controls were useless. Now every console has it.

Motion controls still are useless, it's just that the Wii sold ridiculously well because it appealed to the non-gamer market. It encouraged Microsoft and Sony to make inferior motion control devices to out-do each over.

Evonisia:

Motion controls still are useless, it's just that the Wii sold ridiculously well because it appealed to the non-gamer market. It encouraged Microsoft and Sony to make inferior motion control devices to out-do each over.

Anything is useless when not used right. A knife is useless when the person is using it wrong. Most devs were clueless about the Wii, not because it was THAT hard, but because current devs are freaking IDIOTS. They seem to have forgotten that if you want something to work you have to put EFFORT into it. You can't halfass it. The only developers that did it right were either Nintendo or a handful of others like Grasshopper Manufacture. It's the same thing with the Kinect and the Move; it's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the people making games for them.

doomed89:

OlasDAlmighty:
Snip

Okay so you haven't bother looking at the ps3 exclusives at all yet you are going to get a wiiU for what was it you were getting a wiiU for again you said games but you haven't mentioned any...

You haven't mentioned any PS3 games either. Pikmin 3 is the big seller right now. Super Smash Bros WiiU will be another when it comes along, along with the HD rerelease of Windwaker, the next Donkey Kong Country, Bayonetta 2, and maybe Wonderful 101. I'm not interested in arguing whether any of these games are good or not. The fact that you don't think the Wii had many good exclusives tells me enough.

Yeah the touchscreen is useless in games

The entire iOS market begs to differ.

the only game I can think of it's not useless for would be rts type games and even then just adding keyboard+mouse support would be way better and probably cheaper for the consumer too seeing how expensive the tablet controller is.

Ya and I could totally see using a Keyboard and mouse to play a game in my livingroom on the couch.

As for the immersion thing how does having to look down at your controller and up at the tv screen add to immersion it breaks immersion far more then any HUD possibly could.

Because 90% of the time you aren't looking at the stuff in your HUD yet it takes up real-estate on the screen anyway. I'd prefer to have it in a separate location where I can look when I need it and it's not constantly a distraction. Plus the touch screens makes selecting items much faster than navigating a menu with a joystick.

I don't see what your issue with touchscreens is, have you been asleep during the whole smartphone/tablet thing? They're very convenient.

When were the clock speed of the PS4 and Xbox One released? Last I heard they were unknown. I think is is pretty misleading to quote the clock speed of the stock Jaguar chip as if that is what the actual clock speed for the PS4 and Xbox One will be.

The Jaguar chip was designed to go into ultrabooks and tablets, were thermal control is an issue. Consoles will have substantially less issues with with thermal control. I think that it is highly unlikely that the chips inside the PS4 and Xbox One will not be overclocked.

Desert Punk:
Things will probably get infinitely better when consoles become like DVD and Bluray players, IE able to play everything thats published instead of some games being retardedly locked on some consoles. Then people wouldnt be paranoid that they bought the wrong gamey box.

Not that I don't dream of that day, but do you honestly see that happening in the foreseeable future?

Unless either of the big 3 decide to partner up with one or the other, or simpy all collapse, the single hardware world is a long way off. I think we'll see a total crash of the gaming world as we know it before that is even remotely possible.

Aiddon:

Evonisia:

Anything is useless when not used right. A knife is useless when the person is using it wrong. Most devs were clueless about the Wii, not because it was THAT hard, but because current devs are freaking IDIOTS. They seem to have forgotten that if you want something to work you have to put EFFORT into it. You can't halfass it. The only developers that did it right were either Nintendo or a handful of others like Grasshopper Manufacture. It's the same thing with the Kinect and the Move; it's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the people making games for them.

Well, that's kind of the point then. It's going to remain useless because developers can't use them properly. It's evident that they either can't handle it or just don't want to.

...A 1.24 tri-core is not in the same ballpark as a 1.6 quad core, I'm not going to get into how different the systems are but I see others have already gone on that.

The WiiU technically has some higher specs than current PS3/360 but only technically because the bloody thing has to be able to encode and stream video to the wireless controller and encoding and streaming is VERY heavy on resources even at the lower resolution of the WiiU controller. So even if it has technically higher power, it's dedicated elsewhere which is probably why many ports run worse on it.

But compared to the consoles coming out? No it's not even close, it simply does not have the power and that should be painfully obvious with the games out on it currently. That's not a BAD thing it's just ...don't expect the dazzling visuals of the next gen.

Casual Shinji:

Desert Punk:
Things will probably get infinitely better when consoles become like DVD and Bluray players, IE able to play everything thats published instead of some games being retardedly locked on some consoles. Then people wouldnt be paranoid that they bought the wrong gamey box.

Not that I don't dream of that day, but do you honestly see that happening in the foreseeable future?

Unless either of the big 3 decide to partner up with one or the other, or simpy all collapse, the single hardware world is a long way off. I think we'll see a total crash of the gaming world as we know it before that is even remotely possible.

No sadly, I dont see it happening any time soon, but a man can dream. A man can dream...

Then again once the codes are cracked and hardware advances enough, the PC could do it with Emulators, there are perfectly working Wii emulators out there already, only a matter of time for others.

Desert Punk:

Ok, you are fairly knowledgeable so I will ask you to explain.

What is the appeal of Wonderful 101? I watched the trailers and the like, and it just doesn't register as to why that would be interesting. It reminds me a lot of Pikmin but Pikmin just looked better in every regard. This is a serious question btw, not a mocking one, I really want to know why people are looking forward to Wonderful.

I didnt enjoy the first Bayonetta, but I could see who would, so no need to explain that one :P

It looks fun, over the top, doesn't take itself too seriously, it's got Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta and Okami references, also, this.

Zachary Amaranth:

It is a little weird seeing people fight over who is outclassed, innit?

It's like watching the kids in the playground argue over who has the best robot toy, when I have my own giant robot of my very own for which to destroy evil. Also, the robot also turns into a tank!

@doomed

Oooh what an aggression of you seriously you don't always get answers on every question in life. Mmm it seems there is allot of negativity coming from your side. Seriously why the hate .. why such dislike of the WiiU.

No system is perfect and with consoles it always is in the games. ALWAYS games.. they matter for consoles it is how things go.

Really a bit less aggression please and just think for a moment at what moment in consoles wasn't it the GAMES that truly mattered. Think about it ;)

If you don't like the current situation well you know don't like it. It is your right! And there are games coming for the WiiU yes. Don't worry that they are not here yet they will come.

You don't own a WiiU yet? Neither do I! I am happy enough with the few awesome Wii Only JRPG games. And there is nothing wrong with Mario Kart on the Wii.

At a certain times the WiiU will have games I really dig and I might buy it.

But not need to be all aggresive about things.. relax. It is a game console it is to play games, lets just enjoy gaming. Let all these technicalities not matter. Hell even if you buy the WiiU in the end for 1 game it still will be awesome right.

Casual Shinji:

Well, there is a way it could happen-

Hardware would have to outpace developers' ability to take advantage of it, leading console manufacturers to shift to a Windows-style operating system where the games are insulated from the hardware. In other words, technology would have to get to the point where the industry is willing to give up on the performance advantage of set hardware in favor of easier development. If there were another major revolution in computing technology it might even be a necessity; games that took full advantage of the hardware might be too complex to develop without resorting to higher levels of abstraction anyway.

If that happened, it's possible that a standard ABI would come about. Or even an open source OS; something like Android. Companies like MS and Sony might try to hang on by adding things to their consoles to make them the only ones that can run their first-party games, but if they lose enough market share then producing those game will become too expensive to bother with if they aren't reaching a broader audience.

So it's possible, but it's held back by the need to have cutting-edge graphics run on a $400 piece of hardware.

Guffe:
Well let's see...

You do realize almost all those games are ports of ps3/360 games, ps3/360 are cheaper have better features, more good games and better online and ps3 is free to play online too... So you're saying all wiiU really has is last gen ports and not even enhanced ports, most of them are the worst version. Even one of your wii games is a ps3/360 port, well not really a port more like a horrible game with likeness to the ps3/360 one. Honestly you should of just gotten a ps3 or 360 and a wii instead of a wiiU.

I don't hate Nintendo, I do dislike the wiiU though, and why do I dislike it? Because it's an incompetent system, from specs to online to features it's worse then last gen consoles in most cases and it's pathetic, and it's not like Nintendo is even making great games for it, they are struggling with ps3/360 level games and they aren't doing anything creative their games are getting worse and worse in quality, sure it's not a steep decline but it is a steady one. I want Nintendo to make a good system and start making great games again, and the wiiU is a horrible system and apparently one they can't make very good games on, so that's why I don't like it.

Aiddon:

Evonisia:

That's why most of the good wii games ignored the motion controls... right... I won't say they are completely useless, just useless in 90% of genres and not even that great in the 10% they are useful in. All and all they are not worth it. It's fine if it's an accessory for people who want it but making it a requirement just ruins dozens of potentially good games.

OlasDAlmighty:

You haven't mentioned any PS3 games either. Pikmin 3 is the big seller right now. Super Smash Bros WiiU will be another when it comes along, along with the HD rerelease of Windwaker, the next Donkey Kong Country, Bayonetta 2, and maybe Wonderful 101. I'm not interested in arguing whether any of these games are good or not. The fact that you don't think the Wii had many good exclusives tells me enough.

The entire iOS market begs to differ.

Ya and I could totally see using a Keyboard and mouse to play a game in my livingroom on the couch.

Because 90% of the time you aren't looking at the stuff in your HUD yet it takes up real-estate on the screen anyway. I'd prefer to have it in a separate location where I can look when I need it and it's not constantly a distraction. Plus the touch screens makes selecting items much faster than navigating a menu with a joystick.

I don't see what your issue with touchscreens is, have you been asleep during the whole smartphone/tablet thing? They're very convenient.

Of course I haven't, the topic of ps3 games is off topic and it hasn't even come up before now if you want recommendations just ask and tell me what genres you like. Newsflash those games aren't out we have no idea if they are going to be good or not, except for the re-release which is just a re-release and doesn't really add to wiiU at all, they should have every gamecube game they published in the VC by now, but they don't even have one because they are incompetent. Also how can pikmin 3 be the big one when it's not even out yet?

So a bunch of flash level games that control mediocre at best proves a touch screen is good for a console how? Touch screen works for phones because the controls don't have to be tight (you can't even play original sonic on those things) and it's still far worse then any conventional controller but since phones already have touch screens as their main interface why waste money putting in real buttons. Touch screens on phones are for the interface not for games, they just can work for games too, but they are pretty much the worst viable control scheme for games in existence currently.

Don't you have a table and you know a lap? Sure it's not the most comfortable but neither is the touch screen and you can make do with a normal controller. So which do you want comfort or control? If you want comfort normal controller, if you want control mouse and keyboard.

So instead of a minor distraction that tells you what you need to know immediately it's an occasional massive distraction which can get you killed and completely breaks immersion as for the items most games where you actually have to use items frequently have a way to quick select them. Like I said before touchscreen is the worst viable control method for gaming there is currently so you are paying more for a worse control scheme. Touch screen controls in games suck, and the only reason phones have it is because they already have the touch screen for non-gaming purposes. Even on the vita the touch screen sucks for games and I think they only included it so the vita could get phone games and apps directly ported and the back touch pad is obviously just for r2/l2 on the emulator.

masticina:
@doomed

Oooh what an aggression of you seriously you don't always get answers on every question in life. Mmm it seems there is allot of negativity coming from your side. Seriously why the hate .. why such dislike of the WiiU.

No system is perfect and with consoles it always is in the games. ALWAYS games.. they matter for consoles it is how things go.

Really a bit less aggression please and just think for a moment at what moment in consoles wasn't it the GAMES that truly mattered. Think about it ;)

If you don't like the current situation well you know don't like it. It is your right! And there are games coming for the WiiU yes. Don't worry that they are not here yet they will come.

You don't own a WiiU yet? Neither do I! I am happy enough with the few awesome Wii Only JRPG games. And there is nothing wrong with Mario Kart on the Wii.

At a certain times the WiiU will have games I really dig and I might buy it.

But not need to be all aggresive about things.. relax. It is a game console it is to play games, lets just enjoy gaming. Let all these technicalities not matter. Hell even if you buy the WiiU in the end for 1 game it still will be awesome right.

lol you think I'm being aggressive, I'm just being objective here. I dislike the wiiU because it's an incompetent system, weak specs means less potential for games, bad online means lower multiplayer quality in games, no account system means I can't buy any digital only games because I'll lose them if something happens to my system, worse features means well they mean ps3/360 have better supporting features and if I care about any of them I should get a ps3/360 over wiiU (and I already have a ps3), tablet controler means less comfortable controller and games are going to try to shoehorn touchscreen and two screen crap in games and make them worse. And while no system is perfect there isn't a single aspect where wiiU is good at all... except for maybe the lack of DRM and charging for online and stuff like that but wiiU is too incompetent to even have a system like that anyways because of the poor online infrastructure.

You keep mentioning games but wiiU doesn't have any good games aside from ps3/360 ports... and Nintendo seems incompetent at HD development so I don't think you are taking about games I think you are talking about brand name and brand name is a horrible reason to get a console.

Zachary Amaranth:

Yeah, I just need to stop being lazy about it. I've got a few games in my Steam library I can't run right now that it'll be cool to finally play.

And in my defense, they were part of bundles, usually Humble Bundles, so it's not like I went out of my way and bought games I couldn't play or anything. But hey, if they come with the games I can play, and I know I can play them in the future....Why the hell not?

curious, what games did you get that couldn't be played before? and what new rig/parts did you get?

also, i follow that logic often, long term assets....ho!

Daystar Clarion:

It's like watching the kids in the playground argue over who has the best robot toy, when I have my own giant robot of my very own for which to destroy evil. Also, the robot also turns into a tank!

...so you're friends with the G1 Autobot Warpath!?
Tell me how you did that! XD

Casual Shinji:

Desert Punk:

That would be awesome, but I think there is more of a chance of Sony and MS partnering up than Nintendo and Sony partnerning up again. Not after the last time the partnered up. Although that last one they had did give us the Playstation consoles. XD

Daystar Clarion:

Oh good, can YOU take out the Power Rangers?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked