Other games similar Rome Total War

A little while ago I got rome total war for $1 on steam and I started playing it recently. This is the first kind of game I played that was like this and it's pretty amazing. I'm not very good at this game but it's fun.

I downloaded the mod Europa Barbarorum because it looks pretty good
I just don't know if I should use the mod now or at least eliminate the gauls first in the vanilla game. But at the same time time these guys have now declared war against me and sieged a town important to me making money. Now I have to stop this siege and fight a war on 2 fronts. I am sort of feeling overwhelmed but at least the city they sieged is my one and only city with stone walls.

anyway on to the question
I kinda curious what other games are similar to Rome Total War.
I assume the games in the total war franchise very much like Rome Total War but that is all I got.

Edit- so far I do plan on getting Medieval II: Total War during the summer steam sale or where ever I can buy cheaper at the time

Like you guessed, other Total War games are probably your best bet. The Battle for Middle Earth series are like Total War but a bit more casual and with a LOTR setting.

If you haven't tried out the other Total War games then you should definitely check them out, Medieval 2 is probably the nearest to Rome in terms of mechanics, but they're all good. I can't really think of any other games similar that aren't a Total War, but I'm sure they exist...

Total Wars are pretty unique as far as I know. I'm aware that other "Grand Strategy" type games do exist, stuff like Hearts of Iron and March of the Eagles. But they don't have the combination of the strategy and battle maps like total war does.

So yeah, if you like Rome, get the other Total War games, Medieval 2 especially (the best overall imo, though I love Napoleon just as much due to its setting).

Esotera:
If you haven't tried out the other Total War games then you should definitely check them out, Medieval 2 is probably the nearest to Rome in terms of mechanics, but they're all good. I can't really think of any other games similar that aren't a Total War, but I'm sure they exist...

once the steam summer sale to starts I will definitely be looking at medieval 2 and waiting for a really good sale.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:

Esotera:

once the steam summer sale to starts I will definitely be looking at medieval 2 and waiting for a really good sale.

I think I picked up most of the Total Wars in the last summer sale for something like 20? Or maybe it was just a bundle pack. Either way they're pretty cheap considering these are the sorts of games you invest hundreds of hours in.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:

anyway on to the question
I kinda curious what other games are like Rome Total War.
I assume the games in the total war franchise very much like Rome Total War but that is all I got.

Edit- so far I do plan on getting Medieval II: Total War during the summer steam sale or where ever I can buy cheaper at the time

Okay, do you enjoy the real-time battles more, or the overview map strategy campaign?
If it's the former, can't really help you there. I know there are a few knock-offs, but the Total War series is pretty unique.

However if it's the strategy you're after, just go for Europa Universalis 3 or Crusader Kings 2. If you find yourself just auto-resolving the battles after a while, these are the sorts of games that will blow you away.

I thought The King's Crusade was pretty good when I played it. Although the last mission in the Saracen campaign kept bugging for me.
It's more linear than the Total War games, but with similar tactical battles. The campaign is a series of premade battles where most of your initial army carry over between battles. In that sense it is very similar to the old Warhammer games "Shadow of the Horned Rat" and "Dark Omen".

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42920/

The King Arthur games seems very similar. I didn't play them much, tried a few battles in the first game but found the UI a little annoying.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24400/?snr=1_7_15__13
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24480/?snr=1_7_15__13

hazabaza1:
Like you guessed, other Total War games are probably your best bet. The Battle for Middle Earth series are like Total War but a bit more casual and with a LOTR setting.

Medieval II Total War has a LOTR Mod.

Okay, so there MAY be a few. All total wars are roughly the same, but I do know of some.

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos. Been a while, so it may not be the same.

XCOM Franchise, and UFO:Afterlight. Possibly. I say Afterlight specifically because that's the only good game in the entire IP.

Both King Arthurs. The role playing wargame.

If big battles you want, Warband can be what you are looking for. Even if its not really strategy, it still has some battles to rival strategy. If its the grand strategy, you may look at Fallen Enchantress and Warlock: master of the arcane buts that's more Civ-like with turned based battles.

That's all I know, only Total War can be Total War, no other games really does the same.

hazabaza1:

Or you could play Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms, grab the Third Age Total War overhaul mod, and play it instead of Battle for Middle Earth.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked