Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?
Yes, most definitely
27.2% (110)
27.2% (110)
Not really, but I will keep an eye out
46.2% (187)
46.2% (187)
Nope, I dont care about HL3
25.9% (105)
25.9% (105)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3? Seeing the amount of people making HL3 jokes; mostly trying to find a 'HL3 is coming' reference in pretty much everything, makes me wonders if they are just making fun or if they are actually waiting for Half-Life 3.

As for me, after a generation of modern warfare shooters (all the CoDs, BFs and their clones), I am hoping for something else. If that's Half Life 3, all the better. But I won't wait for it. Not until the game is officially announced.

EDIT:
"Are you still excited for Half-Life 3?" Might have been a more accurate question.

4RM3D:
Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?

Yes... Because, what's the alternative? Make the game myself? Time travel into the future, when it had already been released?

Well waiting in the same way I'm waiting for any other good shooter to come around, it would be nice for Valve to get a move on but they aren't the only ones that can make a compelling game.

valve are afraid of the number 3

so its not Half life 3, its half life 2 part 2 chapter 2

Anthony Corrigan:
valve are afraid of the number 3

so its not Half life 3, its half life 2 part 2 chapter 2

3 '2's
HALF LIFE 3 CONF-*shot*

But in all seriousness. I'm not. After this sort of wait, I doubt it'll live up to the hype.

Don't think HL3 will come anytime soon. Not saying I wouldn't love if it came out right now, however, I just don't see Valve doing it yet.
I'll keep an eye out, but if it takes a decade before its finally done, then it's not like there aren't enough other games to play till then.

Not at all. I don't care about it one bit.

Nope. It's vaporware. There isn't going to be a Half-Life 3. I highly doubt Valve is working on it. It's dead.

Nope. I have the HL2 episodes and I never even played them, I kinda just lost interest. And I doubt it'll come back any time soon. Kinda reminds me of what I went through for Starcraft 2: the first was a great game that was on top of my "play again and again" list, then there's was such a long wait and they made such contemptuous decisions (like selling all three stories separately, no LAN multiplayer, etc...) for 2 that I've completely lost interest, even after having the occasion to try it (it wasn't that great).

Until Valve comes out and says something solid on it, no, not particularly.

If/When they do though, I'll probably get hyped about it, like many other people.

Eh.

I couldn't finish Half-Life or Half-Life 2, so... I guess not, really.

They're games firmly wedged in the "I want to like this, but just can't" category, and while I love Portal and Portal 2, I doubt any theoretical Half-Life 3 would be able to change my opinions of anything else Valve makes.

No, not really.

If it comes out then yay, but I'm not actively waiting for it.

(Not that one can "actively wait" for anything, but you know what I mean.)

I'm not sure what that means...

If they release it, I'll buy it immediately. But I'm not waiting around thinking about it. So... maybe?

Kind of interested just to see how painfully average I expect it to be. But like, actually anticipating it so I can play it? Nah.

TheScottishMexican42:
...I doubt it'll live up to the hype.

What hype?

I often hear this said about HL3 and it doesn't make any sense to me.

There is no hype. We don't know anything. Nothing has been said apart from, "Oh yeah, we're working on it... maybe." No information has been given.

How do you get "hype" from that? Unless you're counting the "HL3 confirmed" jokes or something.

I remember the first time I played through Half-Life 2, and I realised First Person Shooters should be more intelligent. Since then, the only game that brought anything close to that level of immersive story telling in the First Person Shooter realm was Bioshock.

The expectations for Half-Life 3 are insane. They'll never live up to them. But, even if they fail, we'll get another game as good as Half-Life 2. I'm happy to wait for that.

Waiting, but hardly anxious about it.
In fact, on most days I just won't give a shit.

Let Valve...do whatever.

Zhukov:

TheScottishMexican42:

What hype?

Fan hype, I imagine.

Sure, Valve hasn't said word one about the game, but for the last six years the fans have been waiting and expecting something, anything, all the while holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general.

It stands to reason that were it to ever be released, at this point, Half-Life 3 would never live up to the expectations the fans have given themselves of it.

Granted, by this point I imagine more and more people are adopting the outlook of "Eh, it'll come when it comes, whatever." but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned on a dime the instant Half-Life 3 actually got announced.

I wouldn't say I'm waiting, more so looking forward to when Half-Life 3 is announced and released.

Having played the HL series in the last couple of years, I'm relatively new to the games. So it's not like I've been with the series since Episode 2 came out(or before), and the growing hype for a sequel or some information on it's development.

shrekfan246:

Zhukov:

TheScottishMexican42:

What hype?

Fan hype, I imagine.

Sure, Valve hasn't said word one about the game, but for the last six years the fans have been waiting and expecting something, anything, all the while holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general.

If the fans are getting hyped for it then they're certainly being quiet about it. I can't remember a single person saying anything along the lines of, "Oh man, HL3 is going to be awesome!" Since, y'know, they don't have anything to base that on, not ever a trailer or whatnot.

As for placing the existing games on pedestals, well... doesn't that mean they just like those games? I get that you're not a fan, but "holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general" just sounds like a snide way of saying, "They have the cheek to like something I don't like."

Zhukov:

shrekfan246:

Zhukov:

What hype?

Fan hype, I imagine.

If the fans are getting hyped for it then they're certainly being quiet about it. I can't remember a single person saying anything along the lines of, "Oh man, HL3 is going to be awesome!" Since, y'know, they don't have anything to base that on, not ever a trailer or whatnot.

As for placing the existing games on pedestals, well... doesn't that mean they just like those games? I get that you're not a fan, but "holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general" just sounds like a snide way of saying, "They have the cheek to like something I don't like."

Actually, it was more a comment of the fact that I've seen people who expect Half-Life 3 to revolutionize gaming, because that's the opinion they hold of the previous games. We may not have been seeing the same comments.

I don't care if people love Half-Life or not, I just would appreciate not having another nontroversy the size of Mass Effect 3 or larger because Half-Life 3 releases and turns out to be a disappointment; Because despite the fact that there's nothing for people to base any assumptions off of, there are most certainly people out there who use Valve's track record as an excuse for why they think Half-Life 3 is going to be amazing.

Though admittedly that was about a year ago or so. Lately it has been pretty quiet except for jokes, which is why I said

by this point I imagine more and more people are adopting the outlook of "Eh, it'll come when it comes, whatever." but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned on a dime the instant Half-Life 3 actually got announced.

Zhukov:

What hype?

There is no hype. We don't know anything. Nothing has been said apart from, "Oh yeah, we're working on it... maybe." No information has been given.

How do you get "hype" from that? Unless you're counting the "HL3 confirmed" jokes or something.

Half-life 2 is held up by a lot of Valve fans as the greatest of all single-player shooters ever.

Personally, I think it's a highly polished but not very interesting shooter with too little core gameplay and too much filler ("Lol, now move some barrels over here!").

BloodSquirrel:

Zhukov:

What hype?

Half-life 2 is held up by a lot of Valve fans as the greatest of all single-player shooters ever.

Personally, I think it's a highly polished but not very interesting shooter with too little core gameplay and too much filler ("Lol, now move some barrels over here!").

- Saying HL2 is great.

- Generating hype for HL3.

Two different things. One is not the other.

I am waiting for it, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't have very high expectations for it either. However, I imagine that now that the next generation of consoles been announced we're far more likely to have an announcement about it by early next year if ever.

Zhukov:

- Saying HL2 is great.

- Generating hype for HL3.

Two different things. One is not the other.

To say that people don't expect great things out of the sequel to something that they've been idolizing for almost a decade is naive at best. Especially with games, where there's an expectation that the new game will improve on the old one.

A thread about HL3!? HL3 confi... er...

I'm not sure if they even care anymore. They obviously set the groundwork for a bridging between Portal and Half Life, particularly with the Borealis (or lack thereof) being featured in Portal 2. It's an interesting story, the characters were engaging, but their last addition to it was a long fucking time ago. Maybe they just got bored?

I assume that any new HL game will be on its own new engine, and that might be a massive undertaking. Trying to capture the feel of the older games might be more difficult, who knows?

But I'm still fairly confident in Valve's ability. They haven't done anything to make me lose faith directly - if they don't think it's ready, it probably isn't. I'm not gonna ride their nuts to have them push out a half-formed egg like Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3 that just turn out awful. They can take all the time in the world.

So... no, I'm not really "waiting" for it. It'll come, or it won't. I enjoyed the games I got; if they add more to it, great, if they don't, I can rest assured that it won't be as bad as Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was after years of fucking waiting.

I'm not waiting for it, Half-Life 2 wasn't exactly this diamond for the world to consume, so the wait will make it seem worse.

However if they announce it to be Half-Life 3 and not Episode 3 I will wait for it patiently.

No. I like the franchise, but it became clear long ago that Valve has no interest in finishing what they started. It'll be nice if it did come out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, not counting days or anything (not even if it had a release date) but it is something that I am looking forward into playing some day.

Well i'm not entirely sure how to explain this, but let me try anyway.

As a huge Half-Life fan I am ofcourse awaiting the next release, but it is not something I spend much time thinking about. If I stumble upon people talking about it then I ofcourse get interested, but beyond that then it kind of slips from my mind.

Ehm, no. Actually I'm beginning to wonder how many people are genuinely excited for HL3, and to how many the entire HL3 thing has distilled into either a fad/habit, or a massive case of self-trolling.

I'm expecting Valve to do the same thing they did with Episode 1. Not talk about it until a month before they actually release the game. I remember when Episode one came out of absolutely nowhere, and then there was a huge hype train for a relatively short amount of time. It drummed up a lot of interest while everything was still fresh in the consumer's mind.

So I'm expecting to hear nothing about Half Life 3 until about a month before it drops.

Since I haven't played Half-Life yet, I voted No, so while I don't care, I would like it to come out for the sake of everyone else who wants it so badly.

I'll certainly care when something definite comes out, if something definite comes out. I don't think it's gone vaporware, since they'll want to resolve the story at least, but I'm not really searching the web everyday for even the slightest whiff of HL3 farts. It'll show up when it does, and if it doesn't, I'll probably forget about it. Half-Life is a fun series, but it's far from the only good thing in games.

Well I don't know how can anyone actually wait for Half Life 3. (Is there a line that I don't know about.) If you mean anticipating then definitely. The franchise and the company hasn't let me down yet. Not in a spectacular fashion anyway. I have faith in them.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked