10 year old saves three lives, takes the wheel at 60mph, credits Mario Kart...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So yeah... one of the more awesome videogame stories to come out in a while.

A ten year old boy named Gryffin was riding in the car with his younger brother and his 72 year old grandma. Apparently, she passed out while driving along at 60mph. Rather than panicking, Gryffin leant across, and grabbed the wheel before the car could veer into oncoming traffic. he then directed the car to the side of the road, and into a muddy ditch. No-one was injured. When asked where he got his driving skills, Gryffin responded with Mario Kart.

"My first thought was actually... 'is this a test, or what?'"

Kid's going to go far. Give him a gold star, A for effort, 100 points for Gryffindor, because he's got balls the size of bowling balls. Warms the cockles of my heart to see a story where videogames are actually praised for their effect on young kids.

Anyone else feel suitably impressed? Similarly, anyone got any similar stories of videogames directly or indirectly leading to someone saving someone else's life?

Well that's pretty awesome. Good for that kid.

Well, it isn't a video game related story, but I remember this one news story about how this one kid saved this other kid from drowning and he said he knew what to do because of this one episode of Spongebob. It involved a life guard jumping in to save this guy from drowning. The episode was "Spongeguard on Duty" I think.

give him the cookies. ALL of them.

no seriously, this kid has saved lives, and deserves a medal.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

A ten year old boy named Gryffin, 100 points for Gryffindor,

i see what you did there.

dang that could have been one horrific situation, good on him for having such a cool head in such a short time to be able to do that, hell i don't even know if I WOULD be ballsy enough to drive into a muddy ditch, i'd probably give that e-brake a rip and pray we didn't roll into traffic.

edit:

sidenote, I can't wait for autonomous cars (such as google's car) to become more mainstream for reasons like this, i know old people (and ones who have mental lapses) need to get around, but this is INCREDIBLY dangerous, especially at 60 mph.

I think the lesson we should all take from this is that 72 year old grandmas shouldn't be driving =). Seriously though good effort kid.

Why isn't Mario Kart getting more attention? Can you imagine the shitstorm if the headline was something like:

"Ten Year old hijacks car - Blames Grand Theft Auto."

Seems it's the same old story; games being vilified when something bad happens and pretty much ignored when they result in something worth while. Good job though kid; it's not easily to keep cool in a situation like that and even many adults may have panicked in such circumstances.

Reminds me of that story where the kid saved his sister from a moose by distracting it and then playing dead. He said it was because of WoW. He drew aggro like a good tank.

Obviously he has been playing on 150CC mode.

Sorta good that news like this comes out every once in a while, rather than latching onto the idea that videogames "definitely" causes violence or uses GTA as some sort of journalist buzzword, makes me think of that time when some kid played dead to get a bear away because one of the WoW Hunter's skills was Feign Death.

If I ever found myself in a situation where I save a life or two in a similar fashion, I'll probably attribute it to video games in some way, even if it isn't applicable. Just to give games some extra positive press.

Let's see him do that with the track flipped.

But doesn't he know that if he drives off the track that a Lakitu will put him back into traffic?

Good for the kid, saving lives and all.

But... we get it jeffers, you like nintendo.

Mario Kart taught him how to drive a car into the dirt? Wow, Nintendo games really are shit.

Just taking the piss, settle down.

LetalisK:
Mario Kart taught him how to drive a car into the dirt? Wow, Nintendo games really are shit.

Just taking the piss, settle down.

I think I speak for many Mario Kart players when I say that's one of the first lessons you learn :P

Also, I seem to remember ages ago hearing about a kid who successfully landed a plane after the pilot passed out, and gave the credit to flight sims, but I can't find any sort of an article about it, so who knows where I got that idea from. Maybe it was this Penny Arcade strip, although I thought it was more Microsoft Flight Sim than Tie Fighter.

Good for that kid. It must have been nice for him to not have to be dodging blue shells this time.

Racecarlock:
Good for the kid, saving lives and all.

But... we get it jeffers, you like nintendo.

It's a cool story about how videogames had enough of a positive impact that a kid was able to save lives. I even deliberately left the floor open for people to bring other games to the discussion, regardless of company or platform.

A Nintendo love-in thread this is not.

oh god... games in the news again...

wait... games being given the good spotlight for a change? ok tell me NOW how much you payed the media for this joyous news!!!

Thebazilly:
Reminds me of that story where the kid saved his sister from a moose by distracting it and then playing dead. He said it was because of WoW. He drew aggro like a good tank.

Nono, he went full hunter, get aggro followed by feign death!

Anyway, interesting news, I guess unlike some people may wanna make us believe games aren't all evil.

I've been ninja'd already but old people should not be driving. Especially with others in the car (unless they're Mario Kart enthusiasts).

Thebazilly:

Hehe we make our hunters do that quite frequently.

TAUNT THE BOSS! ...OKAY KITE IT AND THEN FEIGN DEATH.

Buys us about 10 seconds extra if we're cutting it close on progress with a mobile boss. *cough* Anyway.

Any media showing some positive effects on the use of video games always helps, and that kid is hilariously cool.

I'm inclined to ignore everything video game related in this piece of news and just to look at this as a cool story with a brave main character. Good on that kid, this makes me happy. :)

Huh, I thought today was going to be one of those shit days for me, nothing interesting and work being crap as usual. Then lunch time arrives and I see this. This kid just made my day better, good job kid.

Thank god the car behind him didn't have a Red, or he would have been in some serious trouble. But I'm sure he knows how to power-slide with the best of them, he just forgot to put out his Circle of Greens to be a more defensive driver.

MSN news? As in the online new guys? Nintendo's gonna sue that kids ass for being quoted as playing Nintendo games on an online venue!
OT: Congrats, kid! You saved the day! I don't know how much of an impact some videogame had on your ability to man up, but you did it! Woo!

At least he didn't start to throw banana-peels out the window.

Well good on him I guess but what he learned from mario kart was pretty much moot here I think he would have learned easily from watching someone drive that turning the wheel of the car causes it to turn you dont need Mario Kart to tell you that.

Also Mario Kart does not teach you to drive into ditches and bring the car to a safe stop good sense tells you that which it looks like he had. If he applied what he learnt on Mario kart he would likely be cutting up traffic following racing lines looking for shortcuts taking risks and getting as much air as possible oh and dont forget its always handbrake turns.

This does remind me of another story I found a little while ago

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/meet-the-incredible-fighter-who-taught-himself-using-tekken/

Reminds me of people watching Bruce Lee and learning to fight from that. Oh and yeah this one is not really a heart warming story but neither is it doom and gloom I just thought it was interesting.

As for the OPs story I think Mario Kart had as much to do with him steering the car to safety as GTA has had to people killing others i.e very little.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Kid's going to go far. Give him a gold star,?

Don't give him a gold star ! He'll start wrecking everyone on the road.

Your move, Fox News.

Tell him this will lead to murder. I dare you.

I'm very surprised this happened, but only a kid could get away with such a claim. An adult would just sound crazy, and suitably so, to an adult a game would probably make next to no difference to any real world action.

Palademon:
Your move, Fox News.

Tell him this will lead to murder. I dare you.

I'm very surprised this happened, but only a kid could get away with such a claim. An adult would just sound crazy, and suitably so, to an adult a game would probably make next to no difference to any real world action.

Well, the general assumption is that most adults can actually drive already ;)
So really an adult would probably sound/be thought of as silly more because of that reason, there are different expectations however for a kid, as you noted :P.

@OP: Neat, more glad to hear they are ok than any arbitrary video game association being made. To address the other topic being raised here, i think most people are right, i doubt it will garner much positive press for videogames, but i must admit to me it seems a little dodgy that 'yay, good press for videogames' or 'grumble, bet they won't praise videogames for this' is what people are latching to/taking away from it instead of... you know, a kid saving lives/family not dying in some terrible accident. I get we're a gaming forum, but still seemed a little off to me XD.

That's kinda cool. Cudos to kid.
It reminded me of another story when kid lured the bear from his sister and then pretended to be dead. Said he was inspired by aggro mechanic in WoW.

And then he promptly shoots them all. Credits Doom and GTA just before attempting to ramp over a building. Media feels instantly justified.

Great on the kid. Like most of the adults here, I probably would have panicked and probably have gotten everyone killed, or at least seriously injured.

Reminds me of a discussion I just had with a friend. She doesn't want her kids playing video games, even though her husband loves them. I argued that video games teach kids a lot of skills. I really expanded my vocabulary back in the late 80's and early 90's with all the RPGs I played. I learned biology years before I took it in school from Parasite Eve. I learned math and how to read situations and form strategies from games. I tried explaining how beneficial gaming can be (in moderation, with the right game choices) and I think I got through to her.

Wasn't there an incident where a guy stopped a man with a knife or a gun at a train station and credited video games? I think he said they helped him feel courageous or something.

But this is a pretty cool story and yeah, a 72 year old should not be on the road. How much you wanna bet she has a history of fainting?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here