A Good Medieval Combat Game

I'm looking for a realistic medieval combat game in first or third person. There are a lot of games with medieval warfare, but it seems like they all involve magical creatures and spells and whatnot. Basically I'm looking for something a little like Stronghold, but not an RTS.

Does anybody have any suggestions or should I keep dreaming of making it myself?

Uh, all the games I can think of (Theif, Oblivion, LOTR) involve magic so no.

Uhm.. Mount and Blade maybe?

Chapper:

This. It's probably the best you can find at the moment.

Chapper:

Yah, this is dead on the money. It's not an RTS, it's 3rd AND 1st person, and there are no spells (or creatures of any sorts, unless you count the horses, which you can fight from!). Also, the modding community for it is amazing, so you'll be able to play a very large variety of different versions from a single game (the vanilla game is medieval, but there's an ancient world mod too. And there are some looking to introduce early guns into the game).

A good game with your specifications does not exist to my knowledge...

I'll fourth Mount and Blade. I haven't had any experience with the full commercial version, but I played it when it was available for downloading and buying online. It's a pretty good game. Not excellent, but it's the only one I can think of that matches what you're looking for.

We must all band together and create a realistic medieval game, where you participate in thousand man battles where you are an unarmored, drafted peasant wielding a crude axe, where you are cut down by arrows in the first wave and must spend hours lying on the dirt bleeding out, or if you're lucky get trampled by your own retreating forces. Maybe you will play as one of the twenty-odd knights participating at any time in a battle, and be an unstoppable tank until you are overwhelmed by dozens of untrained serfs crowding you to death like shoppers in a midwestern Walmart. If by some chance you do make it back, you will go back to being a poor farmer, being screwed by the oligarchy until the day you die.
That game would be so awesome

Bladestorm is really good fun.

It's set during the 100 Years' War between England & France, and the core game-play takes place on battlefields, where you control a mercenary and take command of different squads of infantry & cavalry, but you can join and leave any squad at any time.

It's 3rd person, and a mixture between strategy and hack'n'slash.

Each different squad you control has advantages & disadvantages against other types of units, e.g Pikes are effective against Cavalry, Swords are a good all rounder, Swords & Shields are basically like riot police, Halberds have high attack but are slow with low defence, Longbows have superior range and act like artillery, but are weak in melee, Short bows have short range but a fast rate of fire, Crossbows are good against armoured units... it works on a paper, scissors, stone principle, but with tactics like flanking, higher ground, charging, and experience/levelling comes into play too (like a level 99 Calvary unit can charge headlong at a level 20 Pike unit with impunity).

There's a great variety of different weapons and exotic mercenary units from around the world, like Camel cavalry, Elephants, Samurai, Vikings, Berserkers, Ninja, Abyssinians, Indians, Romans, Mongol mounted archers, Arabians...so it's not just your typical European medieval units.

I thoroughly enjoy it, I've put over 120 hours into it and I've still not finished it, I'm taking my time levelling up and acquiring all the weapons etc, but there's also a big end game once you've finished the main story arc.

If you've got a 360 or PS3 then I wholeheartedly recommend it, but you should check out the demo if you can.

Xiado:
We must all band together and create a realistic medieval game, where you participate in thousand man battles where you are an unarmored, drafted peasant wielding a crude axe, where you are cut down by arrows in the first wave and must spend hours lying on the dirt bleeding out, or if you're lucky get trampled by your own retreating forces. Maybe you will play as one of the twenty-odd knights participating at any time in a battle, and be an unstoppable tank until you are overwhelmed by dozens of untrained serfs crowding you to death like shoppers in a midwestern Walmart. If by some chance you do make it back, you will go back to being a poor farmer, being screwed by the oligarchy until the day you die.
That game would be so awesome

I would play that game (talk about realism...)

http://www.taleworlds.com/

Mount & Blade as people have mentioned. It's the only game out there that has some realistic combat. It may seem basic at first but there's a lot to it.

Play oblivion. but whenever you see magic shut your eyes, cover your ears, go in the fetal position and keep saying to yourself "There is no magic in this game"

Mount and Blade looks pretty good at first glance. Thanks everyone, I think it might be what I was looking for.

Try Age of Chivilary. It's a HL2 mod that's preety fun.

Rune. If you forget about the whole norse gods and mythological beasts that you have to hack your way through.

Well, it's not realistic, but it's fun. And you can throw your stupidly oversized sword at things.

http://www.etherealthegame.com

Stop dreaming, it's coming. I'm on a student project making a realistic medieval combat game with a 3rd person camera. Trust me, no magic. Instead we trained with martial medieval combat and applied that to our game mechanic.

Here are some videos of our game in development, and from our research footage taken from our shield camera footage while fighting with the national organization The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA):
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectEthereal

Ummm, would Assassin's Creed count?
It isn't that realistic but it's the best I could think of for a Medievil combat game without spells and sorcery and whatnot.

There is a game coming out that might suit your needs it's called Chivalry Medieval Combat.

You can check out War of the Roses and Chivalry.

I too love the non-magic medieval genre and I have two big suggestions for you.

"Bladestorm" and "Mount and blade". Mainly Mount and Blade. They are both very good games and I enjoyed them greatly.

Other suggestions would be the mod "Age of chivalry" and "War of the roses" but for singleplayer I would recommend the first 2, mount and blade has some pretty good multiplayer too but if you do get it then get Mount and Blade: Warband. Warband is the one to get, it improves a lot on the first one and the only thing you will be missing is some of the mods for the first game but it has more than enough anyway.

Mount and Blade: Warbands, best ever medieval combat simulator. It's first or third person and has mounted, infantry, sieges, open field and defensive combats. It also has full world political and economic simulations which you can get involved in. Join an empire and go to war or eventually become your own empire. It also allows you to control legions of troops into large up to 200 npc battles that could involve several thousand soldiers where each side is reinforced with additional troops every few minutes.

Definitely Mount and Blade. The combat is incredible.

And this is older, but Die by the Sword. It has monsters and such, but the combat is 100% about swordplay. You can guide the direction of the blade with your mouse, and it has a fairly complex damage model. With maiming and everything.

Actually, if you look at it with an open mind, try "Lord of the Rings-- Conquest" for a pretty fun and intuitive online epic medieval first/third person experience. There's spells, and orcs are the main villains but if you can get past those things, you will have fun with it. The battles are pretty epic, and magic is never over the top.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked