Games you love but yet suck at.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

StarCraft 2 multiplayer. I suck so bad at that game, so I only ever do co-op multiplayer.

Timedraven 117:
Dragon age Origins. On normal. Yeah. That shit is hard. Why? Because unlike in Mass Effect the only people who gain experience are the ones in your party at the time, so you either skip a lot of content with each person and focus on just one team, or you can get halfway through the game, get bogged down and stuck forever until you lower the difficulty. Its ridiculous.

And Modern warfare 2 multiplayer. Sometimes i do good, but i can never do as good in that game as i can in BF3.

Erm...they must have changed that with a patch or something then, because I'm playing through DA:O now and yet to use Sten or Wynne in my party but they're still levelling up right along side me. <.<

LetalisK:
StarCraft 2 multiplayer. I suck so bad at that game, so I only ever do co-op multiplayer.

Timedraven 117:
Dragon age Origins. On normal. Yeah. That shit is hard. Why? Because unlike in Mass Effect the only people who gain experience are the ones in your party at the time, so you either skip a lot of content with each person and focus on just one team, or you can get halfway through the game, get bogged down and stuck forever until you lower the difficulty. Its ridiculous.

And Modern warfare 2 multiplayer. Sometimes i do good, but i can never do as good in that game as i can in BF3.

Erm...they must have changed that with a patch or something then, because I'm playing through DA:O now and yet to use Sten or Wynne in my party but they're still levelling up right along side me. <.<

Really? My last play through was a while ago and it seemed that i was the strongest yet even my strongest fighters were dropping like flies. Thanks for letting me know.

Capcom fighters...all of em.

To my credit I can play and win in arcade mode. But I just get my ass kicked in pvp.

Palademon:

Chances are I'm just missing something, or I need more time to get past the difficulty curve.

I love MGS3, but yeah... I was spotted 100 times in each screen of the game. There's not much you can do to know when the guards can see you, only with experience you get the hang of how much blind they are. If you're playing on normal, though, they are blind like a mole if you have 80% camouflage or above. You can sneak almost to their feet without them noticing.

For me, I guess it's Street Fighter 4... love the gameplay, the balance, the art style... and no matter how hard I try, I can be beaten by a 6 year old kid spamming flying kicks or someone bashing the controller to make Blanka eletric shock.

Realistic racers, too... Games like Gran Turismo, F1, Dirt3. I really enjoy them, I even have a modest driving wheel for the PC and I can drive okay, I undestand the physics... but jeez, I'm a mediocre racer. I suffer at the single player, I'm always fighting to finish second last in multiplayer... whenever I manage to be first, I get nervous, my heart start pounding and then I crash alone in silly curves... I'm just not cut for it.

Timedraven 117:

LetalisK:

Timedraven 117:

Really? My last play through was a while ago and it seemed that i was the strongest yet even my strongest fighters were dropping like flies. Thanks for letting me know.

Just looked more into this and this is what I found:

"Once obtained, any companion not in the active party will still level up. They will not gain experience as such, but if at any point they are two or more levels below the Warden, they will automatically adjust their level to one below. For example, say Oghren joins the party at level 12, and the Warden is level 11. If Oghren is left in the camp while the Warden heads off adventuring, he will not gain experience. However, as soon as the Warden reaches level 14, Oghren will instantly ascend to level 13."

XCOM Enemy Unknown. I love this game, i love fighting aliens, i love building my base, i love ranking up my soldiers, i love researching technology, I love collecting resources, and I love finishing missions. But, I am terrible at the game I have never been able to get past the base the Outsider Key opens up, I restart when ever I lose a soldier, I restart when I lose a mission, I am just flat out terrible at turn based strategy games and can't seem to get into them no matter what I do.

ANy Total War game online. Wish I was but I'm too bad and slow at micro.

CS:GO oh god I really wish I was good at this but everyone else that plays this has about a million hours clocked on it and lightning reflexes so I get mown down so easily.

I guess horror games, it's an awkward answer though because I really love the atmosphere but at the same time can't stand putting up with the tension and so normally don't get very far. Games come to mind are Amnesia and Outlast.

Most game I love I end up fairly competent in. So my jagged answer stands.

World of Warcraft. I'm not a great Tank, my Healing is so-so and I'm never top damage dealer as a DPS. But god damn if I don't love playing. I'm average at just about all three roles and that suits me fine, because I have so much damn fun playing the game.

Starcraft 2.

I LOVE the strategies that you have to come up with in some matches, but more often than not I can't make my idea actually happen. It's incredibly frustrating to have a read on the situation and be unable to execute it because it requires a ridiculous number of APM.

Thr33X:
First Person Shooters. I love Battlefield...but I suck at it. Too slow on the draw most of the time. I have a blast playing the game, but I don't go in expecting to score high on the leaderboards let's just say.

Doesn't help that most of the players have been playing nothing else for years, it means if you come into a game like that, 90% of your opponents are total vets!

The Total War Series. I'm great at turn-based games (it kind of is in the campaign but the gameplay itself isn't). But when it comes to any RTS like that, StarCraft, etc.. I suck bad. But I loooove Total War anyway.

Sine Mora, along with most Bullet Hell shooters. I love them, but they can get excruciatingly difficult, and I still have trouble at times.

Tekken. I love Tekken, and I'm better than a couple of friends, but man do I suck! I love the games! I have owned every Tekken game except Tekken Tag 2, but I should be sorting that soon. I just don't have the patience to sit and learn and practice combos. I think the only 3 fighting games I was ever any good at were Killer Instinct, Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Soul Calibur.

I also love the game Sacrifice! I think the God's are amazing, I love the idea of a random Wizard being dragged into their conflict and I love their personalities. I have never completed it though. I always end up playing Stratos (can't help it, he's my favourite :D) and I can't clear the mission against 2 of Pyro's Wizards. Doesn't stop me from spending hours playing it though.

Any stealth game. I deepy love the play style, but I just can't play them right due to my extremely short attention span and lack of patience.

I'm playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown on easy at the moment and I think I'm about halfway through. I don't play strategy games often at all and Enemy Unknown has been fun so far, but man does the game like to kick my ass, kill my best people and remind me of my place sometimes.

Everything about the between-mission micromanagement and the menu driven combat just overwhelmed me at first but I stuck with it and the game opened up for me a lot, constantly learning new things. After the tutorial chapter (which I feel I took longer on than I should've) I was feeling confident in the squad I had built and my grasp of the game.

AND THEN... I think it was the first main story mission (the XCOM equivalent of ME2's Collector missions) that introduced me to, officially, my new most HATED enemy in any videogame. Even more than those fucking Cazadors from New Vegas. It's a creature that soaks up more damage than most enemies, can kill one of your soldiers pretty quickly and they fucking zombify immediately afterwards. It's frustrating because game played like tactical cover battles up to this point but these things (oh yeah and they ALWAYS come in groups of three) just about break the game when I encounter them because they act purely as ravagers, they just rush the hell out of you.

Apart from them I'm actually otherwise digging the progressively higher difficulty when it comes to other enemies and even the assholes I just mentioned (the game gave them the least convenient name possible, I don't know what they're called) aren't the impossible obstacle they used to be for me. I just couldn't imagine playing Enemy Unknown on any higher difficulty setting though, good thing I'm playing Saints Row 3 on the side when I need to blow off steam.

Kerbal Space Program. Trial and error doesn't really work and usually my designs are ... off at best.

Starcraft 2 as Zerg. While I am not bad at it, playing as Zerg makes me feel like I am doing something wrong all the time (missing injects, not droning, resources out of balance, etc...)

FTL.

I'm hopeless at it, but I just keep coming back to it.

ALpha Centauri. I just can't keep up with my firends. I'm also not that great at fighting games, considering the level I normally play is low and I kcik everyone's asses, but I can't do a thing in a tournament.

Timedraven 117:

LetalisK:

Timedraven 117:

I think there was also some confusion because even though the game let you choose which order to do any of the treaty quests (and whatever sidequests you pick up along the way) there is actually a "recommended" order due to how the game is scaled. Each area has a maximum and minimum level. If you enter the area between those levels then enemies will scale normally. If you enter above the max level, enemies will scale to the max level of the area and will be too easy. If you enter the area below the min level, enemies will scale to the min level of the area and may be too hard. Most notably you're not meant to go to Denerim or Orzammar until you've done a few of the other areas first. The problem was that no one knew this. Not sure if that was your problem but it would explain the sudden difficulty spike.

OT: I'm pretty lousy at Fire Emblem Awakening. I hear normal is supposed to be a cakewalk but I still had to reset the game every few fights because someone died. I'm sure the only reason that I got anywhere at all is because nothing seemed to able to land a hit on my MC.... Awesome game though.

Dragon Age Origins is the first to come to mind. I still find it to have the best pure roleplaying elements of any game I've played, but I had to play the game on easy and was still dying a moderate amount of times. The end game was fine once you have most of the abilities, but that game doesn't let you get away with picking the wrong build. I hear most people did'nt have that much trouble so there you go.

Bellvedere:
I think there was also some confusion because even though the game let you choose which order to do any of the treaty quests (and whatever sidequests you pick up along the way) there is actually a "recommended" order due to how the game is scaled. Each area has a maximum and minimum level. If you enter the area between those levels then enemies will scale normally. If you enter above the max level, enemies will scale to the max level of the area and will be too easy. If you enter the area below the min level, enemies will scale to the min level of the area and may be too hard. Most notably you're not meant to go to Denerim or Orzammar until you've done a few of the other areas first. The problem was that no one knew this. Not sure if that was your problem but it would explain the sudden difficulty spike.

I don't think I have much excuse with that either, those were the ones I did last anyway. Have to save the dwarf nobles revenge quest for the end after all.

MMOs. I'm not bad at the combat, just slow to level. I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV right now, and I'm baffled to how people level so fast. Grinding FATEs I guess. Also, I suck at crafting.

I don't even have to think much about it!
The Touhou Series and Starcraft.
I love both and I can't beat any Touhou even on Normal Difficulty (bullet hell shooters; at least I can beat the fighting games), and can barely beat some friends in Starcraft.
I'm not so good with FPSs too, but I'm way better than what I play like in Touhou games. XD

Dawn of War II - absolutely love the 40k universe but am horrible and the online multi and regularly got yelled at for my incompetence. Despite my own faults, I'd like to blame this on the fact that it was updated constantly and easy to lose track of what'd been nerfed and shitcanned.

hazabaza1:
More recently, Fire Emblem Awakening.
Maybe playing on Hard Classic wasn't a good idea. But I did it. And holy fuck until I got Donnel and levelled him up so I could completely break the game people were dying CONSTANTLY. And I'ma metagaming shitbag so if anyone died then off goes the 3DS because nobody gets left behind.

How did Donnel break the game? Seriously? Donnel?

And also, I'm pretty sure you don't suck, hard mode just means fucking hard. Couldn't beat the damn first mission without getting my balls crushed in a vice.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Impossible difficulty.

I love the challenge, but I absolutely suck on the hardest setting.

EDIT: Finished the game on all other settings, but miss one shot, or get hit by one critical, and the whole edifice just comes crumbling down.

Love FPS games, generally pretty bad at all of them, especially the multiplayer aspects (Most notable example: I played Halo 4 long enough to hit max rank - SR, not CSR - and I'm still not particularly good at it.) Can also throw in the SSB games, which I'm absolutely terrible at, but who cares, because they're still fun to play with friends (even when you're getting your ass kicked).

Any game with online multiplayer... "I get it, game... There is no way in hell am I going to get THAT many kills or beat those time trials my 'friends' set up... *sighs* Why can't these achievements be in a separate category... like under multiplayer?"

Any RTS... "OH GLOB! MY UNITS!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Wait... where did I place my base of operations?!?!" (Yeah... I'm THAT bad... even when I don't have a base to begin with...)

I would say fighting games... but, to be more precise, playing a fighting game in a tournament-like setting... with a controller, since I'm only good with a controller on hand instead of a fight stick... #foreverfirstround

I would also say JRPGs (or RPGs in general), but now I just say that "I'm up all night to get lucky..." *shiftyeyes* (I'm still the only one of my friends to fully 100% Tales of Symphonia... That book was nothing compared to the Devil's Arms, anyway...)

This applies to any RPG I own (tha being Koudelka, Final Fantasy IX/Chrystal Chronicles and Tales of Symphonia). I really like but I gett my ass handed by somewhat any boss >.>

Awesomenauts. Ridiculous amounts of fun, but I can' play it anything resembling to well. I try to keep with matches only with friends, so as to not spoil anyone's match. The fact that I have more fun loosing in that game than I do winning in a lot of others is a testament to how good it is.

Not to sound like a jerk, but I don't think I suck at any game I like. Not that I have a basis for comparison, since I know zero gamers in real life. But then I also couldn't tell what games I kick ass at.

I usually have general 'suck' moments where I screw up and nothing goes right.

Of all the games I like though I find none of them overly hard to play.

Injustice: Gods Among Us.

I'm new to fighting games, and I've been having a great time playing it. I can usually do ok against the AI, and I enjoy playing the iOS version to unlock the exclusive costumes, but I always get absolutely destroyed when I try to play online.

hazabaza1:
More recently, Fire Emblem Awakening.
Maybe playing on Hard Classic wasn't a good idea. But I did it. And holy fuck until I got Donnel and levelled him up so I could completely break the game people were dying CONSTANTLY. And I'ma metagaming shitbag so if anyone died then off goes the 3DS because nobody gets left behind.

Well, good to know I'm not the only person to do that; I don't know how many times I've started my Fire Emblem games, especially on Hard Mode, just because I wouldn't let that one person on my team die. Ah well, it just makes victory all the better, yes?

On topic of this thread; Starcraft and Warcraft. For those two I play defensively, which never works for me, not against bots, not online, not against my younger sibling! It's a shame, too, because I love those games, especially Warcraft 3's artwork (probably not the correct term, but whatever), but I cannot for the life of me adopt the Zerg Rush mentality in those two.

Any fighting games.

Right now playing DOA 5 Ultimate, and have mastered the skills of (A) button mashing the "rookie" AI to death and (B) winding up on the receiving end of flawless victories whenever I go online.

Won't stop playing, though :-P

Team Fortress 2
Whenever I join a random game, I unerringly get assigned to the abysmally losing team. The exceptions are when I'm playing Degroot Keep.
And the teams are small.
And my opponents have over a hundred ping.
And Lady Luck's bitch slapping hand is tired.
Even then we're only slightly mismatched.
I am oft reminded of why I stopped playing this game and picked up Worms Armageddon, of all things, but revisiting it now, I don't really find it half bad. At least, not until my opponents get guns.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked