40.4% (333)
40.4% (333)
Other (Pease explain)
3.9% (32)
3.9% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What's Your Deal With Easy Mode

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

gamer for 34 years here and i usually play things on easy or sometimes. gaming is a relaxing hobby for me and i did my days in the trenches growing up with hours in the arcades and i no longer have the reflexes of a 12 yo hyped on red bull. i know what i want from games and its nothing more complicated than that

it is good to have an easy mode in games especially story games since i play them for the story and if i hit a point where i am constantly stuck the story doesn't advance and i get frustrated easily how can you have fun if you are constantly challenged and cant enjoy the story

that said there is a place for hard mode too you can get into some epic desperate battles that are equally fun as enjoying the story

i know APB doesn't have a difficulty slider since its full PVP but some of the best battles have been against teams just as good or better than me

I don't mind easy mode after my experience with Dragon Age: Origins. I seriously could not get anything done after a few hours, so I had to switch it to casual mode. I actually had way more fun than if I were too take 50-60 hours and throw them away just to beat the game on normal.

I've never really understood the position people have against an easy mode. With Issues like portrayal of the main character I can see how that would affect people as it's unavoidable, but an easy mode is simply there for those who want to use it, it's entirely optional and completely avoidable.

shrekfan246:

Butbutbut how can you inflate your ego if you don't beat everything on the Big Manly Men Difficulty for Big Manly MenTM?!?

I mean, everyone knows that if you play on Bro, Do You Even Lift? you're just a big dumb babby who shouldn't be playing games!

I am going to design a game and these are going to be the names of the difficulties. Thank you shrekfan246 (and Based God).

OT: I use easy mode when attempting to let my parents or sisters play. I haven't played anything lower than "Normal" in years.

Depends on the game. I use Gamefly for titles I'm curious about but don't care enough to play multiple times. So anything like that I just slap it on easy mode play the game watch the ending and then send it packing with a $2.00 tip for cab fare.

Games I actually plan on keeping around for long term play I'll stick to standard or hard difficulty, occasionally playing on easy if I just want to wind down and disctract myself for an hour or so.

I typically play on normal, but often switch games to easy mode if I get stuck on something.

I'm very glad easy modes exist. And I think all games should have an "easy" "normal" "hard" difficulty.

Agent357:

shrekfan246:

Butbutbut how can you inflate your ego if you don't beat everything on the Big Manly Men Difficulty for Big Manly MenTM?!?

I mean, everyone knows that if you play on Bro, Do You Even Lift? you're just a big dumb babby who shouldn't be playing games!

I am going to design a game and these are going to be the names of the difficulties. Thank you shrekfan246 (and Based God).

OT: I use easy mode when attempting to let my parents or sisters play. I haven't played anything lower than "Normal" in years.

On a side note I have been playing Rift lately and the community has a fun little phrase for those who raid:
"Bro, do you even Rift?"

It did get a good chuckle out of me.

I'm all open to having a challenge, but sometimes i just feel like crushing my NPC opposition in games, and that is bloody good fun, I don't understand people who say that there's no fun if there's no challenge. Some people like to play games to relax and having an Easy Mode is perfect for that

I use easy mode on a lot of games that branch, So that i can see every aspect of the story.
Like Mass Effect, for example. On my first play through, I'll go for either the hardest or the slightly-under-the hardest difficulty, beat it, then the rest of my playhroughs will be on easy, just to see what i missed.
What i don't like is the "easy mode mockery" (I'm looking at you, Twisted Metal 2)

I use easy mode because I have shit reflexes, always have, probably always will. I try to not let the hard-mode-champions get to me.

Only time I tend to use easy mode for a typical playthrough is when I'm playing a game of a genre I can't play very well (which would usually be shooters). Otherwise I'm a typical "normal first" kind of gal and I work up from there. If it's a game, genre, or franchise I know well (like Ratchet and Clank) I'll crank the sucker up to as high as I can or would give myself certain handicaps. For handicaps, as an example I'll say that in all Ratchet and Clank games I've done no armor runs as well as no armor + highest difficulty runs for ones that had difficulty scales (and for those wondering, it gets to the point where nearly everything can kill you in 1-3 shots from tiny scrubs to bosses...so it ain't bloody easy, that's for sure). With armor and any difficulty below hard, the games are pretty tame.

Regarding shooters, yes, certain shooters are challenging for me even in easy mode (I'll want fruit punch for my sippy-cup, please). I save-scummed the hell out of Black Mesa. I'm not used to the control layouts and the lack of mobility (as well as the first person perspective) as I've been playing mostly platformers for the last decade. It was a huge shock that I don't think a lot of people appreciate. I wouldn't have even bothered playing Black Mesa, Spec Ops: The Line, or any of the Bioshocks without an easy mode (ok, Bioshock 1 was pathetically unchallenging on easy, but I was dying so much in normal that I ran out of supplies and couldn't keep up with the enemies without dying a million times. Stopped being fun). Though I did manage to get through The Last Of Us on normal (as the first shooter I played on anything higher than easy). Felt the burn, but very satisfying. Almost tempted to try survivor and see what shenanigans I can get into.

I have no problem with easy mode, and I usually set a game to easy by default so that I can experience it and learn how to play. Also, I mostly play games to relax and have fun, so I have absolutely no problem with a game that makes me feel OP. That just means that my friends and I laugh about how OP we are and we try to come up with silly challenges based off of it. I have no problem with difficulty options in a game. It allows people to adjust the game to their level of fun.

I prefer to play on east mode because if it's too hard then I'm not having fun.

A game should, have the three basic Easy, Medium and Hard difficulty settings so that people of varying skill levels can customize the game to their comfort. The excuse against it is often "How is a game fun if you're not being challenged?" and the glowing red flaw in that argument is that people who choose to play on Easy are getting a challenge there. It's what they're comfortable with and fits their skill level.

People don't just "know" how to ride a bike. We all needed training wheels first before we eventually tried taking them off.

Nothing. It's just another mode in the game. Usually I start off with the normal difficulty (hardest if I've played a similar game before) and work from there. Sometimes I just feel like blowing things up so up into the easy settings.

However, if a difficulty setting means enemies are superman (I am looking at you, Tomb Raider), I will never use that setting (headshot = instakill, PERIOD and QED.)

For me, it depends on the game.

On my first playthrough or if I want to get through the game fairly quickly, I generally pick Easy Mode. For sequels and replaying I choose higher difficulty settings to make it a little different from the first one.

However, not all games should have difficulty levels. Difficulty levels mean that they have to design the game to work multiple different ways, whereas a single difficulty helps the dev construct a much more consistent experience based on very distinct choices in level and enemy design.

If I feel the game will be very tough, I may switch to easy. If I'm just playing the game in a very casual and relaxed manner, I may start on easy. I don't really get a sense of accomplishment for beating a game on easy though, so if it is a game that I actually care about, I'll play it on normal. I rarely play games on hard or very hard, not because I can't, I've beaten a fair share on those modes but just because it becomes grueling and not enjoyable to me.

If I see a game has an easy mode I immediately throw it away and drop kick an orphan. I mean seriously, what kind of casual do you take me for?

But seriously I don't mind it being in there, but I won't play on it.

Why do people seem to think that challenge is a requirement for fun in a video game? There are a disturbing number of people here who seem to subscribe to that idea.

Let's put it this way: Saint's Row 4. Is it challenging? No, not at all. It isn't meant to be.
It is in my opinion, however, literally one of the greatest video games ever made.

While challenge seems to be the entire appeal of something like Dark Souls, there are many titles where the actual game mechanics themselves are designed to be fun, rather than the "fun" being derived from the gratification of overcoming challenges.

Heck, I dunno, we're just not in that era anymore where games had to be challenging to take your money in an arcade. It doesn't make sense to me personally to make a single-player game really hard but then that's why there are difficulty options. If I want a challenge I'll go play online against actual people. Personal preference, hence difficulty options.

Depends on the game. For most shooters I will put it on easy since "hard" in a shooter usually just means the enemies have ridiculous amounts of hit points and their guns can kill you in a couple of shots. It doesn't mean they behave any smarter. For games that require more thought I will often play on hard for the challenge and sense of accomplishment that comes with beating a game that forces you to think, though if I am really getting my ass kicked and having no fun I don't mind dropping it back down a notch or two.
I always played games like X-Wing or TIE Fighter on hard, though, otherwise it just became a turkey shoot with no real challenge. I was always much better at joystick-based piloting games than I have ever been at traditional shooters.

Dark Souls does not be as hard as it is to be a good game.

The difficulty is a gimmick it doesn't need.

I almost never play easy mode. The only exception I can think of is Resident Evil: Outbreak (offline), because the AI is so bad.
Online, I rocked that shit on very hard.

BloatedGuppy:
The more difficulty tiers in games the better. Makes them more accessible to a wider audience.

I understand the argument behind a single fixed difficulty for a game like Dark Souls, but I'm still not sure I agree with it. Games like XCOM managed to get a reputation for being ball breakers despite having multiple difficulty tiers.

Pretty much this.

Now it should be said that I am not one to pick easy on any game. I will pick normal when I am new to a series and hard when it's a series I have played before. This is how I play Tales games. Always on the hardest difficulty on my first run. Except for Graces where the 2 hardest difficulty modes get really, really hard further into the game and I had to stick with just hard.

Do I mind that there is an easy mode? No, I do not. Do I intend to use it? Nope, never. The difficulty settings means those who don't want to struggle can still enjoy the game. I see nothing but positives about that.

Easy mode is fine, only stupid people are bothered by it. Dark Souls benefits from an Easy Mode, because it means the Hard Mode can be made even more challenging.

Me, I don't usually play on easy, but I don't understand why so many gamers are unable to comprehend why people play on easy. See... for many people, it's not about challenge. Challenge is not, in fact, an universal thing people care for. Many people get challenged in their job instead, so they care more for experiences outside that. This is what easy mode usually gives them: A stress free, relaxing experience.

Dark Souls, for example, would be played to experience the world and the lore. Challenge is not the only possible appeal. Sadly, many gamers cannot see outside their tiny little box.

It usually depends on how much I like the game, how good I am at games of that type, and how willing I am to learn. For mooost games, however, I play on normal. For shooters, I might boost it up to hard. I completed ME2 on the hardest difficulty, although that really just made the game longer rather than harder (giggity).

So yeah, normal for me. I'm trying to think of any games that I play on easy.... I played halfway through Fire Emblem Awakening on the casual setting, although then found it boring. That's all I can remember. It took me a while to work up to Prince difficulty on Civ V, although I now win those almost 100% of the time. IF I played RTS's I'd probably stick those on easy, because boy, I suck more than [insert personal mother figure here].

But yeah, I totally understand why people would want an easy mode. For some, an easy mode would still be a challenge. I know my sister would struggle through Dragon Age: Origins on easy. She just doesn't have the years of experience with hotbars, party tactics and all that. And for others, they may want to roleplay as someone who is super powerful, or they may just want to see the story. I can dig that. That's not meant to be condescending either, go for it.

Easy mode doesn't bother me. I don't use it (much), I don't mind it's existence, and I don't have a problem with other people playing games.

What's with all the elitism towards easy mode in this thread?

For me, it really just depends on how I'm feeling when I'm playing. If I'm in the zone, and want to say, try to hold out against waves and waves of bad guys, I'll turn on Saints Row and just start shooting on Hardcore and see how long I can last. But then if I'm trying to relax by playing, I'd do the same thing on easy and just chill for a while.

I really don't understand why people feel like various difficulties have to be mutually exclusive though? Like, I like Dark Souls as much as the next loser, but it sure as hell would have been nice to have an easy mode for when I just felt like exploring the game world, or trying to find out of the way areas without risking a death that would set me back hours. Of course, there are tons of other games for leisurely exploring, so it's not that great a loss overall.

Maxtro:
Dark Souls does not be as hard as it is to be a good game.

The difficulty is a gimmick it doesn't need.

zefichan:
Easy mode is fine, only stupid people are bothered by it. Dark Souls benefits from an Easy Mode, because it means the Hard Mode can be made even more challenging.

Me, I don't usually play on easy, but I don't understand why so many gamers are unable to comprehend why people play on easy. See... for many people, it's not about challenge. Challenge is not, in fact, an universal thing people care for. Many people get challenged in their job instead, so they care more for experiences outside that. This is what easy mode usually gives them: A stress free, relaxing experience.

Dark Souls, for example, would be played to experience the world and the lore. Challenge is not the only possible appeal. Sadly, many gamers cannot see outside their tiny little box.

I could go into a long discussion about Dark Souls and similar games, but someone has done a much better job at explaining this. Yes, the video is a bit long, but most of the important stuff is in the beginning.

BoredAussieGamer:
Easy mode doesn't bother me, I don't use it, I don't mind it's existence. I don't have a problem with other people playing games.

What's with all the elitism towards easy mode in this thread?

This thread has actually been pretty easy-mode friendly. In contrast to the almost absurd angriness that took place when the Dark Souls II easy mode discussion was being punted around the forums.

Despite the fact that I live and breathe for a good challenge, which gives me more than enough reason to choose hard mode. I feel that easy mode detracts from the atmosphere of most games, therefore I avoid like the plague.

If a game's too hard I'll drop to easy then crank it back up once I've gotten the hang of it (X-COM: Enemy Unknown for example). Also sometimes play easy mode for casual fun.

I pretty much always play the hardest mode of a game, although it depends on what exactly the game is, and what exactly the difficulty levels do. I have no problem with easier modes being available, though, and in fact think they actually should be there for most games. I'm not great at every single type of game - I don't expect others to be, too, and therefore a game should probably be able to be adjusted accordingly for enjoyment.

A friend of mine plays everything on Easy, because if they don't then they can't partake in the gaming experience. I can't shame the person either, some people might just not be that good at certain games. There's no reason in going "EW, YOU PLAY ON EASY? GROSSSSS." Shame yourself if you feel your standards would not allow you to stoop lower, but don't bring everyone else to be equated to whatever your notion of the SELF is. People aren't the same, yada yada happiness friendship and rainbows.

I do agree that some games should not be accessible to some people, and that's not because of exclusivity but rather because the difficulty is part of what the game is about, and the rest of the experience, while appealing, isn't as rewarding when you can beat it on an alternate difficulty level. Dark Souls comes to mind (an entirely not hard game once you stop being stubborn and start picking up patterns and pathways).

What this really means is that people, individually, should play at the difficulty level of what may be appropriate to them, not in whatever manner would be appropriate to others. This is true tenfold for single-player experiences, because whoever playing has the entirely of the ability to change their own gaming experience rather than hear from the person next to them who incessantly demands they play in his or her way rather than on their own.

When I was young, and starting into my gaming, I'd normally play on easy for my games (Except Starfleet Armada, I was fucking boss at that and would play against normal bots, and sometimes even the harder ones XD) But Unreal tournament got me out of my shell.

Back before I even started into school, my father couldn't afford to have me babysat and obviously wouldn't leave me at home all the time, so he would take me to work and plop me down on one of the floor's demo Computers, which was running the Original Unreal Tournament at the time XD And I would play that, all the time, whenever he couldn't hand me off to friends and close family to watch. And he would slowly turn up the difficulty on me. I don't remember how far he got it up though (Skilled? Veteran? 3-4 tiers above normal at the MOST) but I do remember sitting down years later to play 2003 and it just... Came naturally. I still boot up 2004 every once and a while and do a 1v1 instakill vs Godlike bots XD

So my decision in a game comes from the type of gameplay. COD usually stalls out at normal for me, because in my "Realistic" Shooters I prefer to take things slow, find solid cover and whittle down the enemy. COD loves to respawn enemies if you don't advance, and kill you in three shots DX. Throw me into ARMA 3 and I'll fight down top skill AI in outnumbered assaults and stand my ground. Throw me into Legendary Halo and I'll hold my own. Crank the difficulty on Vanquish and I'll live.

but you turn up the difficulty in COD and I will rage. So yes, I support easy mode, and its because I am a good example of being real good at a few things (RTS, Fast paced like Halo and Unreal, and slow tactical like ARMA) And being 'competent' at the COD's and the Battlefields, and the "Realism is brown" Generic shooters (no hate, just the general group I tend to lump them in XD)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked