40.7% (335)
Other (Pease explain)
3.9% (32)
3.9% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What's Your Deal With Easy Mode

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Depends on the game.

I never turn it down on games where I feel the difficulty is a major part of the experience.

I may rarely turn it down on games where I get incredibly frustrated with a particular airship defense section excuse of a final boss in a certain game that starts with "B" and has the word "Infinite" in the title.

There is literally no good reason not to have it and the people whining about putting it in Dark Souls need to go away forever.

I don't use it very often, but options are basically never bad. And as OP said, I use it all the time in RTS games.

Though to point myself out as a bit of a hypocrite, I rather enjoy making fun of my friends when I watch them play things on easy...

I play whereever I'm comfortable. Some games don't hit the right balance of difficulty, so I don't tend to play those games.

Some games are too easy so I turn them up, others are too hard so I turn them down. Gears of War for instance(the first one at least), I can't play on Normal, at least by myself. I just can't do it, the game just kicks my ass, so I spend 20 minutes dying, and then give up.

But Mass Effect's too easy.. I find Veteran, Hardcore, Insanity to be that game's Easy, Medium and Hard, so I tend to play on either Hardcore or Veteran, depending if I want an actual challenge.

I also will fiddle with the difficulty as long as achievements aren't on the line (Say what you will about achievements, they give me some concrete thing to shoot for so I use them as a guide). If something's too hard for my nerves, I'm not against turning that shit down so that I don't go postal.

All about staying calm :P

Civilization 5 on the other hand, I hang out at 2-3 out of 10 in terms of difficulty, but I play that game more as a simulation game then any sort of challenge. For me, the beauty in Civilization 5 is getting your numbers to ludicrous levels (20k+ gold/turn etc) and that's just much harder to do on the higher difficulties. So I don't play it that way.

Really does depend on how the game difficulty works. If its like veteran mode on COD that just chucks a load more badistanis at you and gives you no health then it just makes it infuriating without adding anything worthwhile. However if it ramps up enemy AI then im all for it as more of a tactical challenge rather than just pissing me off

Like so many others, it depends on the game. I usually start playing on Normal, to gauge how the devs felt everyone should be playing. On some occasions (like with Ys: The Oath in Felghana), I found Normal to be too difficult and frustrating, making me chose between giving up on the game, or going to easy (or Super Easy). On other occasions, like with Kingdom Hearts, I found Normal to be too easy, and now I start every KH game on its highest difficulty.

In conclusion, I like having the option to play on easy if I want, even when I don't necessarily use it.

To me easy mode is usually "the game will be really dull" mode. But if it's a type of game you're really inexperienced at it can be a good choice until you get into the swing of things.

I wish more games would give you the ability to adjust the difficulty mid playthrough so that you don't get stuck on 'that one level' but also so that you can turn up the difficulty if you're skill is improving faster than the difficulty curve.

I play on easy almost all the time. I get more out of completing something than I do challenging myself. Nothing brings me straight to reality quicker than losing over and over again. That said, when I'm done completing and want to challenge myself I ramp it up.

EDIT: have you played DW on Chaos difficulty? That shit is fucked up. If you haven't already grinded all the way up to highest level and tricked your character out, you'll die in 1 hit. 3-5 when maxed. Fuck that. I ain't got time for that.

I like easy mode in games that are story driven, for instance in something like Mass Effect I don't want a challenge, I want to experience the story. Basically, I like easy mode in story driven games because I like experiencing most games as interactive stories rather than challenges. I don't mind a bit of challenge in games where the gameplay is fun, though, so something like Dishonored I prefer on at least normal or higher.

That said, I will often play on hard or normal, but I like having the option to play easy in games where I want to experience the story and the setting, but not gameplay, like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Edit;
Also, if I want a challenge I'll go play CS or something, I find that sort of challenge more rewarding.

Easy mode is for the weak! Though what's wrong with being weak? I'll admit I'm a wuss when I play games on easy games because I don't care about measuring up to hardcore standards. I'm not going to defend my lack of skill nor care about who has the biggest e-peen. I play games to enjoy them and sometimes I want it easy and other times I want a challenge.

I mostelly play on easy, trought sometime i do on higher difficulty, i'm just not that good at games, even if i play a lot of them

Depends on the game.

Some game have great stories and crappy gameplay, so I play easy mode because I'm not playing the game for the gameplay.

I like Easy. When I want a challenge, sure, I'll put it up a level or two. But most of the time, I don't want a challenge. I want to kill things/blow off steam by killing things/get killing things out of the way so I can go back to talking to people. If I'm playing a game a second time around, I'll put it on Normal or Hard, but the first time through, I'll almost always have it on Easy, working my way through the story and cackling with glee as I curbstomp my enemies.

One of those repeat topics that I always enjoy commenting in.

Starting vgames around high school lead to a lot of egoism and thus normal was the absolute minimum difficulty of any given game. [We all cheated to beat Brood War though no one admitted to it]. Now that I'm much older I still gig my friends if they play on easy, but I tend to do it a lot more often with the seeming trend in less cheat codes outside of changing .ini files. My philosophy has become 'if I like a game I'll play it on harder difficulties to accommodate for my familiarity with it making it easier. I do however want to beat every game I buy, so something like Heroes of Might and Magic with a seemingly very arbitrary difficulty I set on easy right off the bat.

00slash00:
Dynasty Warriors games are not about challenge or anything like that. They are about hilariously bad voice acting and mindlessly button mashing through thousands of enemies, and I honestly think that playing on harder difficulties actually makes the game less fun.

This is something interesting that I found about some games. Saints Row 3 for example. The game is very fun, if you enjoy that kind of thing (i do. so much. it's great.). However, playing it on anything harder than normal has the interesting effect of making the game much less fun. Not because the game is hard by any stretch, not because it gets frustrating, but because in increasing the difficulty suddenly you need to actually put effort in to succeed. Because of this, things like running into a crowd of gangsters and kicking them in the nuts so hard they flip over, repeatedly, util they die suddenly aren't viable options because you'll be gunned down. The dicking around and silly shit that makes the game is very difficult to actually do anymore and as such it loses much of its appeal.

More on topic however, easy mode and I have a very simple agreement. I never bash it, and it's there for me when I get stuck or impatient (e.g. dragon age. Got tired of the combat half way through awakening and just kinda plowed through. Makes you realize how story-light that expansion was compared to the regular game. Not unexpected, but still).

It's been some time since I got stuck at a part and needed to make the game easier, but I have no qualms about doing so if it is necessary to progress in the game, since I do not game for the sense of accomplishment (though that does come at times when a difficult task is bested), I play for fun.

Now if only there was a button to make the league of legends community more polite and less meta-focused (OMGWTF NO RANGED ADC BOT!?!?!?! I FEED! or, OMGWTF I CALL ADC BAHT! I FEED!, or they just ragequit. either way is pretty crappy)

Not too long ago I would have said that it's for the weak. After suffering through Dragon Age: Origins for many hours (in many aspects, I hate that game) I bumped it down and eased my pain.

I'm bad at games. like really bad. i can usually play medium but i usually go easy so i can actually hear the story without grinding my skull on the table.

But i play up to 40 hours a week of very gamer games so im just as much of a gamer as you co-ordinated guys.

So i think easy mode has its place for twelve fingered retards like me :)

I'm fine with easy mode. I just don't use it. But if you want it? Cool. I won't judge.

The thought of somebody that wants to get into gaming but doesn't have any muscle memory or basic cognition to the controls using a mode that is not on the same difficulty level as what I use infuriates me to the point where I say all developers should never make an easier mode to accommodate said newcomers because it somehow makes my experience worth less.

Vausch:
The thought of somebody that wants to get into gaming but doesn't have any muscle memory or basic cognition to the controls using a mode that is not on the same difficulty level as what I use infuriates me to the point where I say all developers should never make an easier mode to accommodate said newcomers because it somehow makes my experience worth less.

Wait, what? so you have a harder time doing something than someone else does because they put it on easy mode and that somehow devalues your experience? how so? :/

and thats not really fair, some people just have poorer reflexes than others, they still payed for the game, why should they not be able to enjoy it because they are physically disadvantaged?

sweetylnumb:

Vausch:

Wait, what? so you have a harder time doing something than someone else does because they put it on easy mode and that somehow devalues your experience? how so? :/

and thats not really fair, some people just have poorer reflexes than others, they still payed for the game, why should they not be able to enjoy it because they are physically disadvantaged?

Pretty sure he was taking the piss, demonstrating how absurd the outrage is by spelling it out very literally.

It depends on the game. For example, I only played The Force Unleashed on easy because having to hit a stormtrooper with a lightsaber more than once is fucking stupid.

I guess the only time I use it is if there's a really obnoxious achievement I want out of the way to fulfill my OCD tendencies. But... yeah, I tend to just take the 'normal', if that's an option mode, or whatever is higher than easy. I try to remember what studio made it and what 'easy/normal/hard' tends to be in their books... And try to pick the average of that.

Sometimes I'll remember that some studios think all gamers are tardmuffins and pick the hardest options. Like Nintendo... Always pick hard when dealing with Nintendo. *Cradles OOT Master Quest disc*

sweetylnumb:

Vausch:

Easy. He's joking.

I think.

Zachary Amaranth:

sweetylnumb:

Vausch:

Pretty sure he was taking the piss, demonstrating how absurd the outrage is by spelling it out very literally.

Oh. In that case, A+ i'll be your gullible twit today what may i get for you sir

Tahaneira:

sweetylnumb:

Vausch:

Easy. He's joking.

I think.

Well slap my ass and call me mama. I done goofed.

I'm normally all for having all sorts of difficulty options. I'd be a giant hypocrite if I didn't, my first gaming years were spent playing almost exclusively with cheats as I did not have half the skill nor the patience required to get through games (well, PC games at least - couldn't really cheat on my old-ass console).

Keep them out of games like Demon's/Dark Souls though. Those have a different approach to difficulty which is less skill-based and more knowledge and multiplayer-based. The entire foundation crumbles if people are allowed to casually stroll through them, and the game itself suffers as a result.

(Traditional) Easy mode isn't meant for most people. It's there for those who are - don't take offence - physically/mentally handicapped or of a low frustration tolerance. And I respect that, good for them, they have an equal chance to enjoy the story and experiences of the game. I only pick on people who are clearly average players but cop-out below their skill level, because they want all the positive feedback and little of the effort. It just doesn't provide enough challenge, it's not supposed to for most people. It does not encourage personal growth or stimulation, it doesn't provide any resistance to the player, and therefore it's boring.

Depends if the challenge of the game is contributing to the fun I have playing it. With Dark Souls, I wouldn't play an easy mode even if there was one, and I don't play easy mode in The Witcher either - because in those games the difficulty is a big part of the fun. Other games though, I think easy mode is the best way to experience them - a good example is Max Payne 3, in which if I play on a harder difficulty I always end up hiding in cover taking potshots and not jumping around in slow-motion like the game is meant to be played. I know I'll happily sacrifice the difficulty if it means getting the opportunity to use the fun features of the game that would end up getting me killed pretty quickly on normal mode.

I used it when I was a kid and not a very competent gamer. Once I became competent, easy mode started to bore me. As far as I'm concerned, easy mode is the gamer's training wheels.

I don't use it, but don't mind games giving players the option.

It really depends on the game and "easy" the easy mode actually is.
Example: Skyrim on easy is absolutely boring. Just...no...

I will say this though. If being difficult is inherently part of the game, if the high difficulty is part of what makes it what it is, an easy mode should not be added.

Also, there are some forms of easy mode that need to disappear. (I'm looking at you, Nintendo Super Guide)

Dark Souls fan here, as with so many others in the thread, I think it depends heavily on the game is, and what kind of experience they want to create. Personally I'm much happier when a game like Dark Souls or XCOM challenges me to improve and adapt to its world, rather than holding my hand for the entire play through.

Virgilthepagan:
Dark Souls fan here, as with so many others in the thread, I think it depends heavily on the game is, and what kind of experience they want to create. Personally I'm much happier when a game like Dark Souls or XCOM challenges me to improve and adapt to its world, rather than holding my hand for the entire play through.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Games like Dark Souls are, at least to me, different from most games. They aren't something you can brute-force through and expect to win. They demand that you learn from your mistakes and think things through.

I like playing on easy, I like playing on hard, I like options.

I should be able to tailor a game to MY desires, a game shouldn't force me to tailor my desires to the game.

A game should work to entertain me, I shouldn't have to work a game to entertain myself.

I tend to play the games on harder difficulties first to prove it to myself I could do it. If the game is entertaining I'll go back on easier difficulty, just to enjoy massacring AI opponents and experience the story again.

As a kid, I would always play on the easiest setting if given the option. I liked to experience the world and stories within games and I got easily frustrated.

As I got older of course, I moved on up to playing on Normal and, if I was feeling brave, the Hard difficulty settings.

As for having the option, I have no problems with it. Fact is, there are people who aren't as skilled as gaming as I am. And I feel there's no shame in starting on an easier setting to get the feel of a game down or if you wanted to experience the story or the game's setting.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked