40.7% (335)
40.7% (335)
Other (Pease explain)
3.9% (32)
3.9% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What's Your Deal With Easy Mode

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Its all about your goals. Having fun is what matters. Though harder difficulties mean greater bragging rights, but beating a game on easy still means you beat it. I default to normal, but there have been exceptions. I played Dragon Age on easy, since I found the combat tedious. Had way more fun on easy.

Well the way I see it, easy difficulties aren't for you or me, they're meant as a way to give gamers who are new, less experienced or just not very skilled, a way into the game so they can enjoy it as well.
You may not find Easy mode very interesting but for for someone else who's struggling with the game the option to go into "Impossible to lose if you have two working hands" mode can be a chance for them to actually gauge whether or not they like or a chance to actually learn how to play the game cause now they're not dying every 2 seconds.

Depends. I suck at fighters, so playing on easy IS a challenge for me.

Honestly, if a game like Dark Souls gets an easy mode, I hope they take the Mega Man 10 approach where it's almost insulting.

I usually go for normal, but sometimes I just want the story, so I'll pop it into easy.

Sometimes I'm just bad at a game, so I'll drop the difficulty.

I don't understand the appeal of playing on hard. I want to experience the world and see all the unique content/story and characters. If playing on easy allows me to do that with less repetition and tedium then all the better. The only exception to that is if lowering the difficulty makes the AI incompetent.

I played Bioshock on easy mode because I found the controls to be very clunky and annoying, and I just wanted to see the story through.

So yeah, I think it's a great option to have. I really don't understand the people who disapprove of it even existing as an option. If you don't like easy mode, then don't play it on easy mode. Some people complain it's against the "creator's vision," but like with any other medium of art it sort of takes on a life of its own when it reaches the viewer's hands. Whenever I'm working on projects on my computer, I like to keep a musical like Phantom of the Opera or a Disney movie going in the background. These were meant to be watched, and there is a lot you miss by not watching, but I like musicals because they're longer than movies and there's a lot of enjoyment to be found in listening to all the music. It isn't how the creators intended for their works to be enjoyed, but it's how I choose to enjoy them, and the tools to make it happen are at my disposal. Just as easy mode is at a player's disposal.

Easy mode and I are too well acquainted, Sadly. I usually start a game and underestimate how fast i'll catch on or how difficult it will actually be to learn to play so i begin on a naturally lower difficulty. Then i entirely forget that there is a difficulty setting and end up playing the game through and realizing that my achievement is quite minimal. That said though, most games i find myself playing now seem too easy, just picked up Fallout: NV on the steam sale and have played a decent amount on hard and with hardcore on to ramp it up a bit. I expected to be consistently using the quicksave and having to be very strategic with every encounter and rationing supplies. Needless to say i was disappointed.

I used to use easy a lot because I was a big sook and wanted the story as fast as possible, but in the last year or so, I've been starting on medium. With Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, I generally can't play on anything other than hard or very hard due to companion mods. I've done Saints Row IV twice on casual. I should move it up a bit.

00slash00:
-snippety-

Depends on the game OP. I got the platinum god achiev in binding of isaac. Not and easy feat, or game. I enjoyed the difficulty of it.

I recently started playing Dragon Commander. I play on casual. Why? The actual action and fighting is dull/uninteresting to me. I just want it over with so I can deal with more political intrigue :>

I'm not interested in the 'challenge' of games (also I tend to suck at most games), so the easy, or 'casual' mode is pretty much my go-to choice.

edit: Except for Stalker. Playing that on anything other than the most challenging difficulty available is just plain blasphemous.

Creator002:
I used to use easy a lot because I was a big sook and wanted the story as fast as possible, but in the last year or so, I've been starting on medium. With Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, I generally can't play on anything other than hard or very hard due to companion mods. I've done Saints Row IV twice on casual. I should move it up a bit.

SRIV is a whole other animal on Hardcore difficulty. It really makes you think twice about causing random chaos, even if you've unlocked all the perks and powers.

I say enjoy the experience before the challenge, comfortable in the controls? NOW go beyond easy mode, the fact that most games are shit at scaling difficulty into a shitstorm of repeating what I normally do but for 3 times as long at twice the risk is really fucking pointless, I want to experience the world and it's people, it's mechanics and the designers creativity, if the game is being a prick, easy mode will usually allow me to ignore it, the fact is this: AT THE HIGHEST STRESS DO CRACKS SHOW, a game with a minor annoyance on easy mode is the fucking stupidest shit that keeps fucking killing me on harder modes, I go easy to test the waters so to speak, if you jump straight in at the hardest mode you aren't trying to enjoy the game.

Having the option to change difficulty is always welcome, even if I don't end up using it. I usually start on normal and then change if I get bored/frustrated.

I did lower difficulty in Oblivion sometimes if I came across something that was curbstomping me repeatedly, because I didn't want to go spend several hours doing whatever before actually finishing that quest. Also dropped down to easy in boss battles in Deus Ex:HR because screw boss battles in that game.

What I don't like is when a game only lets me pick a higher difficulty after beating it once. There's no excuse for that, even with Diablo clones.

I played easy modes when I was a little kid, but not anymore. It's good that its there so little kids and really unskilled players can see the whole game, but it doesn't belong in every game.

Since most games treat "Hard Mode" as "The Frustrating Parts Are Even More Frustrating, But The Cool Parts Are The Same Mode," I rarely play on hard mode. Plus, I'm usually more interested in playing through the story (or trying out ridiculous stunts if it's a sandbox game) than I am in feeding a dopamine rush addiction.

On occasion. In games where I care more about the story than the gameplay, then I'll play on easy. If I want a challenge then I'll play on hard. Why limit yourself to a difficulty standard if you're not having fun?

Depends on the game and depends on how it's implemented.

For example if it were multiplayer or has interaction with other players in anyway, then an easy mode should be excluded or segmented away or between players.

Otherwise, it's completely up to if the developer wants to/has the time to.

Easy Mode is for those times when the designers couldn't be arsed to make combat feel good. I won't force myself through a boring sequence in the sake of what should be entertainment. Well... actually, I guess I will, as long as it's just boring, and not frustrating boring.

Hepler was right, some games should have a button to skip gameplay. Or maybe have good gameplay, but that just might be asking too much.

As for games that actually work, I usually play on Normal, and will only switch to Hard if I really like the game, or if Normal is way too easy.

I don't care if games have easy mode or not. I never use it. I play Normal the first time, Hard for replays.

I cannot enjoy a game if there is no semblance of challenge to it. Easy is fine for little kids who never held a controller before.

For me, a game only needs two modes. Hard, and Mike Tyson Hard. The joy and relief of overcoming an incredibly difficult obstacle in a game only comes when the odds are against you.

Depends on the game. Certain genres or specific games should be tweakable to personal preference. On the other hand, games like Dark Souls are built around a set of Difficulty, that expects you to be careful, learn about Enemies and enviroments and ofc makes you learn from your mistakes. As opposed to a "i want to win"-Difficultyslider that kills the whole experience. People who demand an easy mode for games like this should simply stop playing, since it was obviously not made for them.

I pick whichever difficulty setting doesn't make the game boringly easy nor frustratingly hard for how I want to play it. I don't have such low self-esteem as to judge my "manliness" by the difficulty setting on a videogame.

I'd say it definitely depends on the game.

I tend to start on normal and then ramp it up on other play throughs if I really dig the game, though one notch up is usually more than enough for me, except in Tactics games where my enjoyment of the game is fundamentally tied to the enjoyment of the mechanics.

However, in games where I don't find 'The game' particularly engaging, like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and so forth, I will often turn the difficult down to easy. I'm never seriously challenged and can burn my way through enemies in order to get more story, which is the fundamental reason I play the game. Replaying sections in those games don't appeal to me because the shooting is just spacing between the story (or decision points, as the case may be) and I could care less whether its a challenge or not.

I play it a lot, so I have no problem with it (obviously, that would be hypocritical).

However, whether I play easy or hard, depends on the game. If my experience is that I can play it on hard mode (games like InFamous and Uncharted) without it distorting my view of the game (getting stuck very often, etc), I do so. I'm up for a challenge.

Xcell935:

skurz:
I think the Devil May Cry reboot tackled alternative difficulties decently, though it still had the annoying Easy, Normal, Hard modes.

After beating the game once, another mode called Son of Sparda was unlocked- the only difference is that "big" enemies show up earlier and all enemies are stronger.

After beating the game on that mode, two more are unlocked: Dante Must Die! and Heaven or Hell.
Dante Must Die! mode is an extreme version of Son of Sparda that upon completion gives you a great upgrade.
Heaven or Hell mode allows you to kill anything in one hit, but you also die in one hit. Very fast paced and fun!

Then, possibly taking it too far, after beating it on Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell is unlocked, where all enemies are upgraded..... and you die in one hit.

While I enjoy a good challenge, after beating DmC on its "hard" difficulty, I was a bit too drained to want to play harder and harder levels, and Heaven or Hell was only obtainable after beating the damn game twice already.

Thats actually where the old DMC's shine the most compared to the new DmC. Where as normal *surprise motherf***er its hard" mode in DMC3 was challenging, and DMC4's normal was just as challenging, DmC is unfortunately dumbed down and easily breakable (fully upgraded Drive.... *facepalm*). As soon as I beat Son of Sparda I went into Dante Must Die and 2 hours in was bored to tears... then it froze. I know, I know, I grew up with the old DMC's where I'd play DMD till my heart stopped functioning from the 60fps but talk about inconsistency... you'd think if you were using an IP that had difficulty modes that were strangely hard yet still fun and provided a challenge it wouldn't be so watered down in a reboot. But hey... not even Ninja Theory can defend what they did.

OT: I don't easy mode. Its not fun.
Remember God Hand's "easy" mode? That was the last game I played on easy, after that experience I want THAT easy mode in every game pls.

Its also why I like Dark Souls. Here are the difficulty settings in case anyone is curious:
-New Game
-Load Game

I never played the original games, but they sound much better than the reboot. The reboot made me feel so frustrated at how ridiculous and broken the combat system felt, and replaying the same game over and over with different enemies was so dreadfully boring. I'm glad to know that the reboot isn't too much like the series!

I don't really mind the inclusion of an Easy Mode in games and I can see why it would exist in the first place.

For many people, they are new or unfamiliar with a genre/game series. So rather than die or lose the game due to its normal or hard difficulty, they want to get the basics right and probably switch to a harder difficulty once they've done so.

As for me, if I'm unfamiliar with the game series, I usually start at the normal difficulty, so that I can get the hang of the gameplay. If it's a series that I'm familiar with, I'll choose between Normal and Hard (Normal because I know that it would be more enjoyable this way, or Hard in order to provide more of a challenge).

I'm all for different difficulty settings in games and don't understand why so many people are offended by the idea of them. Personally it makes no difference to me (I generally play on the "normal" setting for games with 3 levels of difficulty (or on the 4th for the ones with 5), so it actually makes no difference to me - my experience would be the same regardless. But I understand that some people want certain elements to be more challenging, while others are playing for the atmosphere or the story, so I think it's a good feature in general.

kickyourass:
Well the way I see it, easy difficulties aren't for you or me, they're meant as a way to give gamers who are new, less experienced or just not very skilled, a way into the game so they can enjoy it as well.

I think that's a bit dismissive of the people who play for the atmosphere/story elements (although I agree that it's just a way to let other people enjoy the game). I was just commenting in another thread about people I know who are not new to games or inexperienced, but they're just not interested in the combat elements of certain games, so they appreciate being able to have an easy way to get to the next environment or plot point.

Raikas:
I'm all for different difficulty settings in games and don't understand why so many people are offended by the idea of them. Personally it makes no difference to me (I generally play on the "normal" setting for games with 3 levels of difficulty (or on the 4th for the ones with 5), so it actually makes no difference to me - my experience would be the same regardless. But I understand that some people want certain elements to be more challenging, while others are playing for the atmosphere or the story, so I think it's a good feature in general.

kickyourass:

I think that's a bit dismissive of the people who play for the atmosphere/story elements (although I agree that it's just a way to let other people enjoy the game). I was just commenting in another thread about people I know who are not new to games or inexperienced, but they're just not interested in the combat elements of certain games, so they appreciate being able to have an easy way to get to the next environment or plot point.

I can understand that, perhaps I should have phrased it, "Primarily meant as a way to give less skilled games an in." Because there's nothing wrong with people who want to play on easy for the atmosphere or the writing, and I think developers should be mindful of that fact, but at the moment the thinking to making lower difficulty is USUALLY "This is for people who aren't as good." Maybe not exclusively, but usually.

Depends on the game, if its bloody annoying to play (Not all games have gameplay and controls that are suited for very high difficulties), im going to go with easy mode but eles i prefer a challenge.

Generally I tend to play it on normal, but these days I gravitate towards easy modes as well. Especially now that games have become part of my research and more than enjoyment, time has become of the essence. I also don't have many qualms with cheat codes or abusing glitches anymore either, especially when the game contains excessive grinding if you want to complete it legit. Often nowadays, I just need to understand what a certain challenge is like, rather than experience it in all of its difficulty. Or if I have to analyze the atmosphere or things like narrative elements, in which case I have no use for challenge at all anymore.

I love easy mode. All of the fun from a game, none of the strangling yourself with a controller cord in frustration.

I don't usually get a lot of time to play, so while I default to normal mode I'll happily kick it down to Easy if it's getting too long-winded. I don't really see the point of Hard modes -- usually it's not really harder, it's just more frustrating and grindy (because usually it just ends up being a health tweak of some kind). And that's something I don't ever want in a game. Games are supposed to be fun, not annoying.

I never play games on their very easiest or their very hardest, exceptions obviously made for the few games that only have two difficulty settings or arcade-y games like Pac-Man DX CE or the Bit.Trip series.
But I do play easy when I play co-op. I just find it more fun than dying a whole bunch. That said, I have some good memories of going through Legendary runs through the Halo games co-op.

BloatedGuppy:

Broderick:
(Just saying now, I would not mind the addition of an optional easy mode to dark souls). Mechanically, the game would definitely still be good, but I think the experience as a whole would be hurt if the game was easier. One of the main themes of the game is the inevitability of death, and the struggle against it; by making the game easier, this theme becomes less prevalent, and the world much less threatening. This would hurt the entire premise the game is based on, and I think it would not only hurt the game, but do a disservice the players as well.

Well that's the point of a difficulty level though. It's so everyone can find their level of challenging. What's a rewarding grind for some may simply be an impossible wall for others.

Everything in Dark Souls is intertwined, the difficulty is wrapped up in the world and in the exploration. The whole package would suffer if (in Dark Souls) there was an easy mode implemented. I say in Dark Souls because we know what that game is, we know its length, Dark Souls 2 could be longer. But Dark Souls is not a big game, if there was an easy mode people would clear it so fast they probably wouldn't feel they got their moneys worth. Heck, some people are able to clear half the game in just thirty minutes. There aren't any huge cutscenes, no big Mass Effect style conversations, no characters to romance.

I think Dark Souls is like the old Zelda games that reward exploration. Exploring and paying attention make the game so much easier. Paying attention to stats like how fast your stamina regenerates compared to other games. It allows for the game being easier. It's also an RPG so leveling makes the game easier. There is an "easy mode" already built into the game, and I'm not even talking about playing a caster hur hur*.

Strictly in terms of gameplay, do you think it detracts from a game (whose selling point is gameplay,) that has a difficulty slider outside the game in a menu? It rarely changes anything but HP. Think Capra Demon, everyone's favorite early game boss. Will it make his dogs disappear? Will it make him swing and slower? Will it change his attacks and patterns at all? If not, then someone not learning from the fight will still likely die due to getting staggered or attacking when they should be rolling away. It just might take longer due to the boss's damage either being decreased or the players health being buffed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked